Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/14/15 22:10

spamclark15

Question about Oni HUD/Menu/Video scaling

With the Daodan DLL installed, I was wondering if there's a way to scale the game's videos, menus, HUD, and other UI so that they are proportionally correct with how they would be displayed at 640x480?

#2 10/15/15 02:10

TOCS

Re: Question about Oni HUD/Menu/Video scaling

The in-game interface is, unfortunately, bitmap and not vector-based. So, the only way to make the UI fit 'X' resolution, would be to manually scale all the sprites to fit that resolution. This is applies not only to the main menu but also various other things such as the loading screens and HUD.

I suppose this might be because the game started development back in the late 90's when people didn't play on high resolution screens. Games such as Diablo and Diablo II work the same way.

Last edited by TOCS (10/15/15 14:10)

#3 10/15/15 05:10

spamclark15

I would accept even just scaling the bitmaps and cinematics to the relative size they would be at VGA resolution. Is there any way to do this? At 1600x1200 it makes them painfully small. The irony is that even back in 2000, that was the screen resolution I was using, so over a decade later even with all the fixes that daodan brings, this doesn't seem to be one. hmm

Last edited by spamclark15 (10/15/15 05:10)

#4 10/15/15 05:10

Alloc
Website

Install the AE ( http://mods.oni2.net/node/276 ) and use the HD Screens mod ( http://mods.oni2.net/node/136 ).

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#5 10/15/15 08:10

Iritscen

Unfortunately, Alloc, that won't scale up the UI.  HD Screens doesn't replace the HUD.

It's surprising to me that no one has ever brought this up before.  I've noticed how tiny the HUD gets at "HD" resolutions, but I rarely see that since I usually am running Oni in a small window while I test things.

As TOCS said, the HUD is texture-based, so in theory you could replace textures like TXMPleft and TXMPright with larger versions, but the engine might use hardcoded coordinates when it comes to drawing the current status of things like HP and ammo over the HUD, so that would require the Daodan DLL to alter that code.  I'm not really sure how hard that would be.  Maybe someone could try scaling up the current HUD textures and just seeing what happens in Oni, to start with (I don't have the time right now).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 10/15/15 08:10

Alloc
Website

spamclark15 wrote:

... to scale the game's videos, menus, HUD, and other UI ...

(emphasis by me)
I kinda forgot about the other stuff til I got to the point of replying wink

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

Board footer