Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 06/07/15 16:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Re: Do not update to Windows 10!!!

If M$ goes the rumoured way, *sarcastically* best of luck. But of course I wish for the best i.e. in our interests. smile

Steering my life towards a new direction...

#27 07/23/15 15:07

Izzy155221

Well, according to the "Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription" article by PC gamer, and from some press release statements from MS, Windows 10 won't be a subscription, rather a rolling release like OpenSUSE 13.

However, I will be keeping my Windows 8.1 disk handy, just in case.

If a private is in the woods and there's no NCOs around to hear him...is he still wrong?

#28 08/28/15 14:08

HCthenemesis
Website

Hey Izzy, it was nice of you to respond to my thread.

BTW forced updates (plus the "lemons") down my throat (or anyone else's) is a VERY BAD IDEA. Plus the Get Office ad (hint hint) and forceful HTTP client change over my preferences is again a VERY BAD IDEA.
Workarounds may exist, but a commoner does not bother with the solutions, simply coz he/she is very happy with:
1) Windows 7 or
2) Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell or Start8

Actually, I and the real few tech hardcore guys say this: "Windows 7 is the new XP".

Before any of you guys upgrade to Windows 10, make a full system image of 7/8/8.1 then upgrade to Win10, make Win10 image and revert back to 7/8/8.1. That way you will retain Win10 free legal license while not being the guinea pig of M$.

Cheers,
HC Tech Byte

#29 08/28/15 16:08

TOCS

I upgraded the day it was released and made a clean install afterwards - it's miles ahead of Windows 7 in terms of performance and stability. It's basically the way Windows 8/8.1 was supposed to be like. The only thing I don't like so far is the way they've streamlined certain core features such as Windows Update. Besides that I don't regret upgrading at all.

#30 08/28/15 16:08

HCthenemesis
Website

TOCS, you certainly have not delved deep into what we call "Windows hacking". I feel home only when I am editing and deleting registry keys. If I see closely, there is a great explanation I have created of the differences between Windows 7, 8/8.1 and 10.

Windows 7 (Baseline)
Aero effects disable + "Adjust performance and appearance of Windows" --> "Adjust for best performance" minus "Smooth edges of screen fonts" and "Smooth scroll list boxes" = Full performance
Of course u can use my tweaking guide : https://hctechbyte.wordpress.com/2014/0 … r-windows/

Windows 8/8.1
Windows 7 plus a better Task Manager, a combined Hibernation + Shutdown state, USB 3.0 support and 3D printer inbuilt support

Windows 10
MS-DOS shortcuts change, DX12 addition, virtual desktops and NO PERFORMANCE CHANGE SINCE 8.1
(You can workaround all except DX12)

And the corporates and military are happy with XP. Those who are upgrading beg to go for only Win7 since it's been a LONG TIME since it was released, tried and tested.

EDIT: Win 8/8.1 have NO START MENU (use Classic Shell or Start8) and Win10 has a Start menu, to which most of us will NEVER feel used to since a computer HAS TO BE A DULL WORK-ONLY MACHINE.

Last edited by HCthenemesis (08/28/15 16:08)

#31 08/29/15 13:08

TOCS

Honestly, I have no clue what your post is about. smile

I run Windows 10. It's fine, it runs super smooth. I have no problems at all and it runs way better than any previous OS I've used. There isn't really much more to it for me.

Board footer