A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 05/12/15 04:05

Chamyky
Website

Re: Zukai Multiplayer Alpha (Mac) - Testers Needed

Iritscen wrote:

Was this over Internet or LAN?

It was over LAN. We played in the TCTF level, then I closed the server and loaded the atmospheric center exterior instead. I started the server, and when each of my friends joined, I got a “Translator failed on event” message. I think a Konoko did appear for each of them, but they we definitely weren't playing together.
We tried all relaunching the game before retrying, to the same effect.

Did you receive the logs? These two attempts are “Zukai 2015-05-09-19-35-08 - host Cykelero” and “Zukai 2015-05-09-19-36-09 - host Cykelero”. The connection was flaky though, they might not have uploaded successfully.

Well, you're supposed to disable the scripting first, so there shouldn't be any enemy AIs smile

I thought I had! Apparently, Oni still finds the IGMD folder if you rename it to “IGMD-disabled”.

In the airport level, shortly after we started playing, they saw me fall; on both of their screens, I'd fallen off a ledge, but on mine I hadn't. They kept playing and eventually, each computer had a different answer to “who's fallen so far?”.

Well, sometimes recordings can help me diagnose issues; for instance seeing a recording might help me confirm why falling de-synced you.  But it's more useful to see multiple players' views of the same fight in order to gauge the reliability of the code.

I'll see what I can do, then—I will have to reencode the recording first, as it's pretty big right now.

Incidentally, although I had claimed in my OP that I was going to make frequent releases of Zukai, I ended up getting overwhelmed by RL stuff and had to take a break.  I'm just now getting back to the code, so hopefully soon I will be making progress again.

Good news smile . I'm sure people are excited about Zukai, but I'm also sure everyone's understanding of how all projects undertaken by human beings take time.

#27 05/12/15 17:05

Iritscen

Chamyky wrote:

Did you receive the logs? These two attempts are “Zukai 2015-05-09-19-35-08 - host Cykelero” and “Zukai 2015-05-09-19-36-09 - host Cykelero”. The connection was flaky though, they might not have uploaded successfully.

I did get your logs; I can see some odd errors there that I'll have to work on.

Apparently, Oni still finds the IGMD folder if you rename it to “IGMD-disabled”.

No, I know what it is.  I've just remembered that characters can spawn automatically in levels.  In fact, according to the CHAR page on the wiki, it looks like each character has to be flagged with a certain bit in order not to spawn automatically.  I'm not sure exactly where BWest did or didn't use this flag, but it explains why enemies are still sometimes appearing, like the two at the beginning of Rooftops.

I'll see what I can do, then—I will have to reencode the recording first, as it's pretty big right now.

I got your movie, thanks.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 05/16/15 17:05

Iritscen

While watching your movie, Cykelero, I saw what looked like a bug, where you seemingly punched a gun out of someone's body.  I had to go back and watch it in slow-mo before I realized what happened.  He was pulling out his gun at the moment you punched him, sending the gun flying in the direction he was drawing it.  See here: http://gfycat.com/WildRawAmericanshorthair#?speed=0.5

#29 06/23/15 15:06

Justice

It would be cool if this mod will have some short of bot support. Just some basic bots, they attack if they seen anything. Do you plan something similar?

Justice for all Gears!

#30 06/23/15 15:06

TOCS

Justice wrote:

It would be cool if this mod will have some short of bot support. Just some basic bots, they attack if they seen anything. Do you plan something similar?

If you want to play with bots, download one of the OTA scripts.

#31 06/23/15 16:06

Iritscen

I do plan to eventually support bots, but currently I have it pegged for v0.2, and right now we're at v0.060, so it will take a while unless I move it closer in the schedule.  TOCS' suggestion is valid for single-player games if you simply want non-human enemies to fight against.  Just keep in mind that, since AI is not synced yet in Zukai, if you are playing multiplayer with friends and also have AI enemies running around, they will quickly get out of sync and cause great confusion.

#32 06/23/15 17:06

Justice

Iritscen wrote:

I do plan to eventually support bots, but currently I have it pegged for v0.2, and right now we're at v0.060, so it will take a while unless I move it closer in the schedule.  TOCS' suggestion is valid for single-player games if you simply want non-human enemies to fight against.  Just keep in mind that, since AI is not synced yet in Zukai, if you are playing multiplayer with friends and also have AI enemies running around, they will quickly get out of sync and cause great confusion.

Actually I have Windows, not Mac, I can't play yet. I know those mods and if I want to play some arena games I use them.

I'm glad you do plan the bot support. Be clear, I love playing with human players. Much better than any bot match. But when there are not much players during the time we has time to play, it is just cool feature to fill up the server with bots. We do this in Jedi Academy, or in other arena games. This helps to keep alive the game in multiplayer mod even if it has low player base.

Justice for all Gears!

#33 06/23/15 19:06

Iritscen

Yes, that's exactly why I want to support bots, they're helpful when there aren't a lot of nearby players online.

#34 06/24/15 15:06

Justice

Then I just wish the best for your work. I really hope this project will have a great success. I will follow it. ONI was always a part of my favorite games. smile

Justice for all Gears!

#35 06/24/15 16:06

Iritscen

Thanks, it's encouraging for me to hear that people are interested in this.  I've had some interesting distractions over the past month, but I am now working on an update that will make gameplay more steady.

#36 06/24/15 18:06

Justice

I'm curious about this new update. The ONI was my childhood computer game, the only one I had during that time. This game is special for me, even I was unable to play on XP till I find your Anniversary Edition (thanks for making that one too). Seeing how hard others work on adding multiplayer option to the best cyberpunk game is just the awesome. This make me to try harder too. I'm not a child anymore, but the ONI will be a part of my little gaming time again.

Justice for all Gears!

#37 06/24/15 19:06

Iritscen

Well, there's a whole bunch of things I need to work on, but I decided to prioritize fixing the rubber-band effect, which is a mysterious result of some kind of algorithmic failure that causes players to slide back and forth around a center point, instead of simply sliding to their corrected position and stopping.  Fixing this will allow me to turn up the frequency of position corrections so that synchronization will be better.

Also, people tend to go out of sync when they fall off things, which will either be fixed in the same update or the one after that.

#38 06/25/15 05:06

Justice

It sounds like an insufficient quantity of packet, or the server can't receive the packet in time when the client character finishes the movement. Maybe should the ticking rate increased, but that will increase the net speed requirement of the client and the server too.

Justice for all Gears!

#39 06/25/15 08:06

Iritscen

Well, the system is pretty complicated, but I think I just made a math error in the correction algorithm.  I'm doing some diagnostics now to find the problem.

#40 06/25/15 13:06

Justice

Oh I see. I was never good in netcodes.

Justice for all Gears!

#41 08/01/15 21:08

Iritscen

Okay, v0.061 is out!  The link is in the first post.  Sorry, I didn't think it would be six months between my first and second releases!  I had to take a break from the work, so this update is only the product of less than one month's work.  I haven't been able to test it extensively over the Internet, but this update is focused on making player positions more reliable.  Please see the Release Notification thread for details on this update, and subscribe to it to be notified of all future updates.  The download links will always be in the first post of this thread, but I will not be bumping this thread with a new post automatically every time a new version is released; only when I have something specific to say, like telling a tester with a problem to update to the new version.

I am now fully back to work on the project, and the next update will be out a lot sooner.  I'm not sure how many "sexy" improvements there will be in that one, because I have a lot of back-end work to do in order to make it easier for me to develop this project.  I don't have a precise plan worked out for which to-do items I will work on next.  You can look at the first post in this thread to see some of the major points that will be worked on in a little while, but probably my first priority will be packet loss resilience, because currently a lost packet can cause a multiplayer match to hang or go "oos" if the packet contains critical information, and that's not good.  In the meantime, keep in mind that, as a general rule in any online game, you should use a wired network connection, not wireless, to minimize packet loss.

Last edited by Iritscen (08/03/15 11:08)

#42 08/02/15 21:08

EdT
Website

I did a test over my LAN, you should have received the logs. Oddly, the client log, says it was running on 10.10.2, however, I am running 10.11 beta 3.

#43 08/02/15 21:08

Iritscen

Wow, interesting.  I'll have to look into that.  It's not very helpful to see the version of the OS if I'm getting the wrong number.

Edit: Hmm, I'm not seeing any new logs at the upload location on oni2.net.  Can you email me your log_upload_queue.txt from the Zukai Logs folder?

#44 08/03/15 10:08

Iritscen

Okay, I got your log files, thanks.  It looks like you have log-sending turned off on your Mac mini (see the 7th line in the log?), so that's why I didn't get that one.  As for the MacBook Pro, was it perhaps not connected to the Internet at the time, or is it possible that you closed Oni before the log could be sent?

As for the version reporting, I tested Zukai in my own 10.11 beta installation, which was beta 1, and Zukai correctly reported that it was in 10.11, but I am updating the beta now to see if the bug shows up there.

#45 08/03/15 11:08

Iritscen

Okay, change of plans from what I said a couple days ago.  I will be posting about new versions of Zukai in this thread, not the main Zukai thread.  So that's the one you want to subscribe to in order to be notified by email of updates to the software.  That way, bug reports and other posts in this thread will not trigger emails to subscribers.  However, the first post in this main thread is always going to be the location of the actual download links for the latest version.

#46 08/03/15 13:08

Iritscen

EdT wrote:

Oddly, the client log, says it was running on 10.10.2, however, I am running 10.11 beta 3.

Quadruple post!  Anyway, EdT, if you are still in beta 3, does your About This Mac box say "Version 10.11 Beta (15A216g)"?  Because I've tested that version, and for me, Zukai is reporting the OS version accurately.

#47 08/03/15 23:08

EdT
Website

How do I turn on log-sending?  I don't recall ever turning it off.

Mine says Version 10.11 Beta (15A234d)

#48 08/04/15 09:08

Iritscen

In zukai_settings.txt, "send_log_after_match" should be "yes".

#49 08/18/15 09:08

Justice

This is just a random, but important question for me. Will we can have the server files when the Zukai is finished? I mean, it would be necessary for LAN play for example. I just don't like the client only MMO style multiplayers.

Justice for all Gears!

#50 08/18/15 10:08

Iritscen

Actually, Zukai doesn't use dedicated servers, it uses listen servers (player-as-host).  So there are no "server files" smile  There will eventually be a metaserver that lists Internet games, and that program might be open-source, but that's just for matchmaking, not hosting.

Board footer