Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/05/15 14:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Do not update to Windows 10!!!

GUYS! Everybody hear me out. DO NOT UPDATE TO WINDOWS 10!!! M$ is making "Windows a service". It will charge you monthly or yearly or maybe bi-annually to access your computer. Your best bets then? See this article on HC Tech Byte for solutions. Until then stop Automatic Updates, and uninstall these Windows Updates if they are already there:
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3035583
KB3050265
KB3068708

Search by number in "Installed Updates" in Windows 7/8/8.1 and get rid of these updates after disconnecting from Internet. Do not get these updates, get the rest from Windows Update.

[hctechbyte.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/windows-10-a-subscription-based-service/]
OR
[hctechbyte.blogspot.in/2015/06/windows-10-subscription-based-service.html]

I beg you to read this. And spread it like fire on your social accounts to inform non-geeks and those who have bought new Windows 8.1 laptops/desktops.

Last edited by HCthenemesis (06/05/15 14:06)

Steering my life towards a new direction...

#2 06/05/15 15:06

Iritscen

Re: Do not update to Windows 10!!!

Is KB3035583 the update that started putting this Windows 10 icon in my taskbar 100% of the time?  Because I sure wish I didn't install that.

But I'm very skeptical that MS is making Win 10 a service because I can't imagine the PR disaster they would have if a bunch of people upgraded to Win 10 and then found out that they needed to start paying to keep the OS.  Wikipedia indicates that they will be charging up front for Win 10, so I don't think it is going to be a subscription service.  There's also that mention of a "Windows 365" that may be a subscription, but that will be something else that people can opt into.

As much as I dislike MS, I don't think they're crazy enough to try to trap people in an OS that suddenly requires payment in the future.  It would probably even be a proper basis for a lawsuit by people who spent money transitioning their office to Win 10, believing it was a free upgrade and then finding out they had to subscribe in order to receive updates.  If MS does try anything like that, the public outcry will force them to change their plans, just as it has for many companies in the past who tried to do something boneheaded (see Xbox One incident).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 06/05/15 19:06

TOCS

So far, it's nothing but rumours so I'd take everything with a grain of salt. If they're ever going to do a subscription-based model for the OS, it won't be anything that affects the private consumer. It will most likely be something that can replace their MSDN program altogether. Windows 8 had a tough launch so they'll most certainly try to avoid too much controversy. The public outcry would be too big -- it's simply illogical to think otherwise.

In a sense people should be aware of the rumours, but they shouldn't pull the trigger just yet since there's nothing official out. Even though Microsoft are trying to follow the ridiculous path that Apple has taken where everything must be monetised completely, I'm still confident they won't make such mistakes in the foreseeable future.

#4 06/05/15 19:06

Iritscen

Yeah, that Apple and their damn free operating system, always making money off everything roll

#5 06/05/15 19:06

Jon God

Iritscen wrote:

Yeah, that Apple and their damn free operating system, always making money off everything roll

I laughed.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#6 06/06/15 02:06

paradox-01

So then Win10 is as free as Mac OS, you must have paid for a former OS.
I also don't think MS will trick so many people. Might not their gravestone but pretty close.

Last edited by paradox-01 (06/06/15 07:06)

#7 06/06/15 06:06

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:

Yup, so free! You only have to buy a $2000 piece of hardware -- but sure, it's totally free when you've done that. wink

#8 06/06/15 08:06

Iritscen

Okay, it's obvious you just don't want to know what you're talking about.  Let's not get off-topic.

#9 06/06/15 09:06

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:

Okay, it's obvious you just don't want to know what you're talking about.  Let's not get off-topic.

Or that you lack proper argumentation and will to justify your claims. smile This isn't going off-topic at all, as the whole rumour about Windows 10 is based around monetisation. If anything, it's what's called "expanding the topic of discussion".

#10 06/06/15 10:06

Iritscen

I think that HC will feel it's off-topic.  But why do you state Macs are $2000 when they start at $500?  Most people don't get Windows without buying a PC either.  So either way you are usually buying hardware.

#11 06/06/15 14:06

Jon God

TOCS wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

Or that you lack proper argumentation and will to justify your claims. smile This isn't going off-topic at all, as the whole rumour about Windows 10 is based around monetisation. If anything, it's what's called "expanding the topic of discussion".

Someone said that Apple monazites everything ever. Irit pointed out that they don't monazite their OSes, and now you point out that they monitize their hardware, kind of a red herring, if you ask me.

It wasn't a Mac vs PC debate, it was more someone saying "this is the way things are" when it wasn't really the truth. Trying to turn it into an Apple vs Microsoft debate just looks a little petty. tongue

Jon-God.jpg

#12 06/06/15 15:06

Iritscen

Just a moderation note, TOCS can make a response to what's been said so far, but after that, let's have no more Macs vs. Windows arguments in this thread.

#13 06/06/15 16:06

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:

I think that HC will feel it's off-topic.  But why do you state Macs are $2000 when they start at $500?  Most people don't get Windows without buying a PC either.  So either way you are usually buying hardware.

Because they don't start at $500 here, they start at $1500. But the price isn't really that relevant. It's the idea that their monetisation concept is build around their entire ecosystem; you can't buy a computer that will run OS X natively from any other company than Apple. But, of course, you have to buy hardware either way. The difference is really that you're free to choose whatever you want with Windows and that Microsoft's free upgrade program can be easier to isolate from said hardware. My point is, you're not forced to spend 'X' amount of money to get the opportunity. So, saying that their OS is free is a bit ironic, when you're actually forced to give them your money to buy their hardware first. 

Jon God wrote:
TOCS wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

Someone said that Apple monazites everything ever. Irit pointed out that they don't monazite their OSes, and now you point out that they monitize their hardware, kind of a red herring, if you ask me.

It wasn't a Mac vs PC debate, it was more someone saying "this is the way things are" when it wasn't really the truth. Trying to turn it into an Apple vs Microsoft debate just looks a little petty. tongue

My point was that Apple's hardware is universally tied to their software. You don't get one without the other. This means you can't talk monetisation of software without bringing hardware into the debate as well. Read my response to Iritscen above and you'll get the idea.

Also, I'm sorry HC, if you feel I derailed your thread in any way, but Iritscen lured me into his bait. tongue

Last edited by TOCS (06/06/15 16:06)

#14 06/06/15 16:06

HCthenemesis
Website

First of all, let's not make this a Mac vs Windows debate. I know the reluctance of doing things. Cause: M$ stole Apple's OS design. Effect: Apple fanboys' revenge. Quite childish, unless some top Apple exec was acting this way (well even that wouldn't be acceptable in this date).

Well this started with a rumour, but when you consider the case of M$ they are all about how to make money. Apple was never accepted widely because its machines are costlier than what one would need : barebones to run Windows.
I don't accept low performing PCs frankly. But imagine those who can afford AT MOST over-the-counter $300 Windows machines with no time or resources to find low price deals. Apple is already taking too much money for its machines to give mediocre 3rd gen Core i5s (and 5th gen Core M YUCK!!!!). And Mac has much less software support than Windows.

So since M$ is having Win 10 as the last version, what might happen is this:
On yearly basis pay a few dollars to run Windows, and give no money for basic upgrades but give some dollars for each set of special upgrades - the kind we Indians get in case of any DTH subscription. Some money for record feature, some for video-on-demand etc. ... you get it. We don't have money to buy an Android TV that costs a bomb just for record feature and Netflix.

Hope that helps. And by the way, $500 vs $2000 talk  was not of any use here but gave me a chance to clarify mindset falsities that otherwise wouldn't have been cleared. Ask or flame me if I am wrong.

#15 06/06/15 17:06

Iritscen

I can believe your suggestion that basic upgrades to Windows will be free but that additional features will have prices or be subscription-based.  It would make it sort of an "F2P" OS, in that case.  Though I'm surprised that they would make Windows free at all when they can keep charging for it.  It's not like Linux or OS X are making large gains in market share against Windows.

#16 06/06/15 17:06

HCthenemesis
Website

And I proved my point right with that one. Exactly what I said. But to make sure the money thing doesn't happen to anyone of you, DO NOT UPDATE TO WINDOWS 10!!!

Feel free to discuss anything with me, and do some on my blog (my non-monetary benefits, please!).

EDIT: "some" refers to Comments.

Last edited by HCthenemesis (06/06/15 17:06)

#17 06/06/15 17:06

TOCS

I'll probably update to Windows 10 anyway. Should I be asked for my credit card information for these subscriptions, should they be introduced, at some point, I'll just go back. I'm still on Windows 7 because I don't like the way they catered towards non-desktop users with Windows 8. I don't want to be a part of the telemetry that just shrug their shoulders while the lack of proper desktop integration is being shoved down their throats. I voted with my wallet, for once, and it seems, at least so far, that they've listened with Windows 10. We'll see, it's just around the corner.

Last edited by TOCS (08/28/15 16:08)

#18 06/06/15 17:06

Jon God

My point is, you're not forced to spend 'X' amount of money to get the opportunity. So, saying that their OS is free is a bit ironic, when you're actually forced to give them your money to buy their hardware first.

However, I can still download the newest system of OSX, and have it without spending a dime. I could put it on a disk, and then put it in a PC, it wouldn't work, but I am still not spending a dime.

I mean, heck, if you are going to buy a PC, might as well factor in the power it's going to use, and the desk you'll put it on, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is that the system /is/ free, even if you can't use it on every computer.

Jon-God.jpg

#19 06/06/15 17:06

TOCS

Jon God wrote:

My point is, you're not forced to spend 'X' amount of money to get the opportunity. So, saying that their OS is free is a bit ironic, when you're actually forced to give them your money to buy their hardware first.

However, I can still download the newest system of OSX, and have it without spending a dime. I could put it on a disk, and then put it in a PC, it wouldn't work, but I am still not spending a dime.

I mean, heck, if you are going to buy a PC, might as well factor in the power it's going to use, and the desk you'll put it on, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is that the system /is/ free, even if you can't use it on every computer.

That wasn't really what the argument was about though. It was about the level of monetisation. Apple approaches this in a two dimensional whereas other companies such as Microsoft is one dimensional in the sense that their OS can be isolated from its hardware. My initial point was that Microsoft seems to be approaching this same way of thinking, not necessarily with hardware in mind, by gradually trying to shift away from the freedom that the consumer has right now. It's in situations like this I really just wished that Linux was a more supported platform for versatile use. If it was supported on the same level as Windows, I would've been using it since day one.

#20 06/06/15 21:06

Iritscen

This is pretty much off-topic, isn't it?  But Apple is not "two-dimensional" now because they no longer charge for the OS.  They make money from hardware and MS makes money off software.  It's apples and oranges.  The fact that Windows is not tied to a certain line of computers is only because that's not the business model that MS uses.

As far as MS trying a new monetization approach to Windows, I don't think I like it because it reminds me of SaaS, which I feel is a bit exploitative, but how is MS taking away freedom from the user?  We don't technically even know what they're planning yet, but I don't see what these ideas have to do with "control".

#21 06/07/15 03:06

HCthenemesis
Website

My job as a tech expert was to warn you of this. And TOCS, even you are not safe from all these problems that M$ is creating. Hope you understand and that if you have seen my blog post, I have taken care of every scenario possible there.
An example: you update Windows for free (after updating to Win 10) and then you are charged for a security fix that is necessary but you need to pay for it. *ANGRY! GRRRRRRR!!!!!*
That's you TOCS. And that's each one of us.

So feel free to discuss anything but I guess some blog comments would help me in a non-monetary way, if you know what this poor soul means. *sobbing*

#22 06/07/15 03:06

HCthenemesis
Website

The thing is some of you are too excited about the free upgrade (example is TOCS). You might be saving $149 or whatever. But M$ is doing that or trying to make money off other services.
P.S. M$ according to this (www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/windowsservices/default.aspx) does not allow for class action lawsuits and uprisings but only individual case filing, if that was the basis of argument if any one of you. Hope you get it. -_- .

#23 06/07/15 07:06

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:

This is pretty much off-topic, isn't it?  But Apple is not "two-dimensional" now because they no longer charge for the OS.  They make money from hardware and MS makes money off software.  It's apples and oranges.  The fact that Windows is not tied to a certain line of computers is only because that's not the business model that MS uses.

As far as MS trying a new monetization approach to Windows, I don't think I like it because it reminds me of SaaS, which I feel is a bit exploitative, but how is MS taking away freedom from the user?  We don't technically even know what they're planning yet, but I don't see what these ideas have to do with "control".

That's true, we don't know what their approach to Windows 10 is just yet, but we do know from e.g. their phone OS that they've been trying the closed-environment road.

HCthenemesis wrote:

My job as a tech expert was to warn you of this. And TOCS, even you are not safe from all these problems that M$ is creating. Hope you understand and that if you have seen my blog post, I have taken care of every scenario possible there.
An example: you update Windows for free (after updating to Win 10) and then you are charged for a security fix that is necessary but you need to pay for it. *ANGRY! GRRRRRRR!!!!!*
That's you TOCS. And that's each one of us.

So feel free to discuss anything but I guess some blog comments would help me in a non-monetary way, if you know what this poor soul means. *sobbing*

Like I said, I won't mind it. It's free after all. If I feel dissatisfied I can just roll back. It's not a big deal to me, really. tongue

Last edited by TOCS (08/28/15 16:08)

#24 06/07/15 12:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Rolling back to Windows 7/8.1 would be a BIG problem. You must make a backup image in case of OEM preload. Or a genuine install disk. You know it all, I know. Ask me on preserving old Windows if you feel the need.

#25 06/07/15 13:06

TOCS

HCthenemesis wrote:

Rolling back to Windows 7/8.1 would be a BIG problem. You must make a backup image in case of OEM preload. Or a genuine install disk. You know it all, I know. Ask me on preserving old Windows if you feel the need.

Not a biggie for me. My PC is custom build and with a standard Windows 7 Ultimate license. I'm planning on a format soon anyway, so it doesn't really matter that much if it's Windows 10 or 7.

Board footer