Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/29/15 20:05

Lizardizzle

Giant and randomly rotated Konoko when .DAE is converted to .ONI

Hey everyone, I've been working on a project I've always wanted to be done by someone for Oni, which is to replace the hair of Konoko's model with a style similar to the hair shown in the intro and outro videos. After 14 years, I think I'm the only one who really wants it, so I'm doing it.

The modelling process is at a point I feel I can stop at.

pSei7CO.png

After having issues importing the model (replacing the original konoko head in TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni, I decided to remove variables and tested importing the HD konoko TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni model from Leucha and SeverED's mod. Here's the HD konoko .dae imported to Blender, without using -noanim or -zup, as some tutorial here mentioned (I tried using those commands for OniSplit and got the same end result upon importing the model back to the game.)

tVWZ8YG.png

I simply used Vago GUI to take the TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni in to .dae, import to Blender, which I'm using for modelling (it's the Steam version, if that is relevant), I did zero editing and just exported that as a .dae, put that file in to VAGO gui and converted it back into TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni, then put that file back in the HD Konoko mod, installed it with AE Installer, ran the game and started a new game and got this:

lIicp9Q.jpg

I used the "minime" cheat to make myself smaller so I can see what kind of rotation has occured on the model as well:

wmwJbvv.jpg

I've tried messing with rotating some of the meshes to fix it, but the task seems daunting, plus I'd have to scale the all the meshes to make the import re-scale the model in-game to look right. I don't think that's what everyone else who's made custom models has to do, since none of the tutorials really seem to address this issue I'm having. Is there something I'm not doing right when I'm using OniSplit to make a .dae in to an .oni?

If I can just get this konoko model to import correctly, I should be able to do it with any other model, and with my custom head on the original Konoko body, which is all I want to do. I can figure out texturing later, but for now, I need to get past this hurdle, which has taken the majority of my free time after work this week.

Thanks everyone, I've been watching this Anniversary Edition project + mods for years from the sidelines, but now I need your help.

#2 05/30/15 06:05

paradox-01

Re: Giant and randomly rotated Konoko when .DAE is converted to .ONI

You should mention the version of onisplit you are using (the one AE comes with?) and the full commands (or GUI steps).
Also please give a link to the tutorial you have read.

#3 05/31/15 15:05

Lizardizzle

Vago GUI version: v0.9a

Vago's OniSplit version: 0.9.96.0

There's also a "Check xmltools version" in Vago, so that is: xmlTools v0.8d

As for the tutorials I've seen, that's a daunting task since I've probably read every thread and tutorial on the wiki and this forum while I have been doing this project. I've been using the wiki's "Importing Character Models" (I was going to post links, but the forum is telling me I am not allowed to post links when I preview this post), Samer's forum thread titled "Making Custom Character Tutorial, Tricks and Tips", and several others.

You say "The one AE comes with?", but I don't think I've used that one at all, and doing a quick look at the AE folder, I don't see Onisplit. I downloaded what I think was the most recent Vago GUI.

#4 06/01/15 07:06

paradox-01

The input_folder should contain her idle anim, textures, oncc, trbs, etc.
So to make things easy you should break the whole level0_Final.dat into oni-files.
This should give you Kon in her idle pose. If you don't like you can remove the keyframes afterwards.

Before exporting GameDataFolder's level0_Final.dat you my want to install your favorit Konoko HD mod if not already done.
(Look into the package and write down the ONCC name.)

onisplit -export level0_Final level0_Final.dat
onisplit -extract:dae KonokoExported level0_Final/ONCCname.oni

See if that gives you an animated dae. Please send me your extracted files from KonokoExported.

Last edited by paradox-01 (06/01/15 07:06)

#5 06/01/15 22:06

Lizardizzle

My god, I've done it, and I will try to explain what my steps would have to be to do this in one go, rather than the dozens of failures I had throughout the past days.

90WiCCP.png

1. I used the TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni from Leucha's HD konoko mod and extracted the TRBSkonoko_body_high.dae with VagoGUI.

NW5tCzR.png

e9dpT4k.png

2. Imported that .dae in to an empty Blender scene and selected all the objects. To prevent the model from being rotated and gigantic, I discovered a forum post for Blender that mentions that Blender sometimes has issues exporting .dae files, so you have to select the objects, and in the 3D view, press Object - Apply - Rotation & Scale.

74jOPLL.png

This affects the object's rotation and scale in the object data panel. Before:

Ok86sUc.png

and after:

QYnm5T9.png

3. At this point, I imported the head of my konoko model with its special hair. After importing it, select the head object and apply the rotation & scale as well. I think I did that. I did a lot of things, and I'm writing this all by trying to re-create what to do in one correct attempt. During past attempts, I ended up with a correctly (sort of) scaled head, and in roughly the correct spot to replace the head without special hair. Basically, you want the origin point of the new head to be exactly where the old head is, then edit the mesh (not the object) to overlap the old head the best you can.

Here, you can see that the origin point of the imported head is at 0,0,0 (x,y,z position):

bDWj5Lw.png

And the old head's object origin is at a complex x,y,z position. That is where you want the imported head to be.

q9BVQxf.png

Copy and paste the old head's origin coordinates to the imported head, which you may have notices is not a child of the neck of Konoko or anything. You don't need to, and I don't think you should, make the imported head a child of the neck.

26wGXQB.png

When I did try making the new head a child of the neck, and deleting the old head, it ruined the rotations of the shoulders and imported head once imported back in to the game. What I'm doing here should be preventing that. Maybe I did an extra pointless step that solved my issue in an incorrect way, I'm not sure, but the shoulders and head just would not stay in the correct rotations every time I used the imported head, so I looked up how to replace an object's (in this case, the old head object, that is a parent to the neck) mesh data with another object's (in this case, the imported head, that is not a child of any objects) mesh data. I found that you could do this.

Now that the imported head's object origin matches the old head's object origin, you can edit the mesh data of the imported head and translate it over the old head to a spot that overlaps well.

0UUAkFP.png

You can select all of an objects vertices, edges, or faces with the 3D menu's select - Inverse command, when you have no part of the edges selected. I had issues doing that easily since keyboard shortcuts seem to change depending on what you pick when you start up blender (I chose 3DS max layout, since I'm more familiar with it, and it seems that everywhere online, it assumes Blender's own shortcuts during tutorials, which would never work for me, or worse, do something I didn't want to do for me)

fbECk4g.png

5. Now, you replace the old head's mesh data with the imported head's own mesh.

Select the old head's object and go to the "data" tab below the parent tree. In the first dropdown menu, there are a list of the meshes used by objects in the scene, and the one used by the current selected object in the light grey part. The old head's mesh is named "head_geometry" and the imported head's mesh is named "head", so you click on the "head" in the dropdown menu, which gives the old head object the imported head's mesh.

8DMZUmI.png

hXgd8vm.png

Now, you can delete the imported head that is not a child of the rest, export the model as a .dae, turn it in to the TRBSkonoko_body_high.oni as it was originally using Vagogui, shove it back in to the HD konoko mod's package files, install the mod, and it finally worked. I didn't really want to write out the entire thing for those last parts, as I think they're covered fairly heavily everywhere.

That is where I am at in this project at the moment. What I want to do next is edit the original konoko head texture from the vanilla game. As it is right now, it's just plastering the texture map of the HD konoko head on to the low-poly head and hair that my model uses. I have almost no experience in this field, but it seems I've hit another wall in the form of "Where is the konoko head/face texture?" because the only thing I can find are files like "TXMPIteration001%2Fk4_head.png" in the Level0_final.dat file, but those are just transparent with a little bit of purple hair for Konoko's head:

m8rjuzw.png

Do I need to bury myself in to ONCCs to find that texture? Have I gone in the complete wrong direction if my only goal is to make a mod package that replaces the head of Konoko for every level with my custom one?

#6 06/02/15 05:06

TOCS

This is pretty cool! Looking forward to see the end result. wink

#7 06/02/15 10:06

Delano762
Website

Yeah, me too.

Hell, I'm starting to feel some Oni-mood recently. Might even mod something again tongue

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#8 06/02/15 10:06

Iritscen

Hi Lizardizzle, this is an interesting idea for a project.  You do have the correct file selected for Konoko's face, as you can also confirm by looking at the texture files in the HD Konoko mod by Leucha.  The head TXMP has simply not been converted correctly in your screenshot.  This happens sometimes, but I don't recall the cause of it.  Maybe try -extract:tga instead of :png.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#9 06/02/15 14:06

EdT
Website

Lizardizzle, it looks like the texture is not properly mapped to your model.  There should be a way in Blender to view and map the texture, I just don't remember how to do that, sorry.

#10 06/02/15 18:06

Iritscen

Well, the DAE already contains the UV map, so it should just work automatically, if the model was imported and exported from Blender correctly.

#11 06/02/15 18:06

Lizardizzle

Sorry I haven't replied to you all. This threads' kind of blown up while I was sleeping and working on this project. Right now, I've gotten the UVmap working with the imported head. It was a ridiculous process that I'm sure I did completely wrong. When I finish or get to another part I'm stuck at, I'll explain what I've done, but for now I'll just continue working. It's looking good.

Edit: Alright! It's finally working and in the game.

D5IxhEL.jpg

The new head is also on all the other models as well, so it is shared for all levels in the game.

It was a long and arduous process after the last post when the head texture was just the HD texture from the HD Konoko head model. I'm not sure I could even begin to explain step by step what I had to do to make the old model's textures work with the new model I made, because the old texture map is design for its own face and hair UV map, and with all the extra polygons (triangles), the UV map couldn't really be the same. However, the face model and texture are exactly the same on the new model, so I wanted to use the original UV map and 128x128 texture file and make the UV map of the hair around that. However, unwrapping the face of the new model in to the same UV map that the original uses proved to be impossible in one step, and I used an addon called "Copy and Paste UV" for Blender.

The problem was, the addon could copy the original UV map of the old head's face, but when pasted in to the UV map of the new faces' UV Map, the map it made was not one island, but a bunch of random maps put roughly together in the shape of the old UV map, so I had to copy and paste the old UV map almost one-by-one on to the new face (which was about 170 polygons), then I had to fit the rest of the model's hair around that UV map with the face and edit the texture map to make the hair look not bad.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. It was a draining experience. But it works! The model files and texture files are all in a personal package that I can load with AE and all I have to do is re-make that into something that is numbered correctly to be able to be put in the Oni Central mod list.

I'm sure I could make some corrections here and there. I'm pretty sure I didn't do the texture maps in a way that they have alpha reflectivity for the hair. The original hair has reflectivity right? I could probably easily get that in there if I knew how. But at the moment, I don't care to put myself through anymore and I just want do be done.

Last edited by Lizardizzle (06/02/15 23:06)

#12 06/03/15 09:06

Samer
Website

The hair looks great smile good job.
But I am a huge fan of severed textures, would we be able to use the face texture he made with this model ?
did you modify the texture or only the uv maps of the model ?

I can help you out with the reflectivity and making it into a package if you want.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#13 06/03/15 19:06

Jon God

Looks good, though perhaps a little large in comparison to the rest of the head perhaps? it could just be that picture though.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#14 06/03/15 20:06

Iritscen

Yeah, I also feel like the hair is probably too large, though a comparison pic with the intro movie might make it clearer.  I know from working on Griffin's head model that it's easy to lose your sense of proportion when you spend a long time staring at the details of your work.

#15 06/04/15 10:06

Delano762
Website

Yeah, the hair looks like twice the size of the largest afros.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#16 06/04/15 16:06

Samer
Website

I think it's the angle the image is taken from that makes it look a bit big, few other screenshots would be nice smile

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Board footer