Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/01/15 13:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Some discussion about the non-Halo project news

Did someone say *YIPPEEEEEE!!!!*? I don't know about you guys/gals, but I did when I saw this on a popular gaming site (don't know which it was). It was a new article, and I am NOT talking about Destiny here (though it might be a possiblility). Who wants to follow me? Or discuss it out?

Steering my life towards a new direction...

#2 06/01/15 14:06

paradox-01

Re: Some discussion about the non-Halo project news

Why don't you share some more info with us?

#3 06/01/15 14:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Really happy to find more support on my arrival.
Nothing fishy here, paradox, with forcibly trying to make headlines. That was some news I got hold of in the hope for an Oni 2 *smile*.
I don't really remember the website name or anything in relation, so bad luck! sad
Maybe I can catch hold of some more news the "Google research" way or the "insider view" way.

#4 06/01/15 14:06

paradox-01

Or you search in your browser chronics.
Yea see I'm a bit skeptical cuz they have a new ip with destiny and said they want to farm it.
And eventually i'm nit sure if I would be really happy about oni2. the community has developed some nice ideas. Would bungie deliver something similar 'cool'? maybe i just got used to not get oni2 at all...

#5 06/01/15 15:06

HCthenemesis
Website

And this is why you could use this quote (no I am not some legend *haha*) from my first post in this thread:

... It was a new article, and I am NOT talking about Destiny here (though it might be a possiblility). ...

Of course that is a whole new thing... the new Bungie guys giving us something to cherish, like we do the stuff made in late 90's till today (talking in Oni context, don't get nostalgic coz I would cry and write retro graffiti all over everyone *getting nostalgic* (oh, the irony) ).

Skepticism (did I exert myself writing all over the keyboard?) is something that is more prevalent than irony in people's lives here coz Destiny trailers are seen at Bungie's official site, YouTube channels.. you get it.

Oni 2 is something we want and not the new Bungie guys, but we could have thought it out the same way when Oni was releasing (gosh the wait times... wait! Did I even know what a PC was? *ROFL* Did computer even exist? *ROFLMAO X 10* (6-yr-old in 2002)).

Browser history... hmm.. I run a tech blog and why in the first place did I not think of it? Coz sometimes you are exerted tracking Android conferences for Android M insider view. And as I talk of it, just check out "HC Tech Byte" for Android M details (no copy-paste, one stop shop place to know all about teach and Android M).

Nevertheless, here are two links which I saw:
[halo.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=45431098&postRepeater1-p=1#45432088]
[reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2vcyxq/why_isnt_oni_by_bungie_west_a_very_wellknown_game/]

Second link is less of an Oni 2 announcer post or tweet mention, but it helps when you get to try and know of people thinking of Oni remakes.

#6 06/02/15 13:06

paradox-01

HC Tech Byte. Okay now I remember you. ^^

Well then if it isn't Destiny or Oni2, what could we talk about ?
Or if it's Oni2.. ahm how fruitful can this become until we haven't more info? smile

#7 06/02/15 15:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Oh, you funny always-contradicting-yourself guy, what's with the ^^?
Rather it could be something like this: [i57.tinypic.com/33o48rd.jpg]
That's how the discussion starts dude. Rumours, hints by officials and... ugh! You are brainy enough. And which place can be better than a dedicated Oni forum to talk about this?

EDIT: Sorry Iritscen and EdT, HC just found a way to post links. Promise, it won't be misused by me (only guarantee for myself).

Last edited by HCthenemesis (06/02/15 15:06)

#8 06/02/15 23:06

paradox-01

Nothing, just a smilie. Happy to understand who rejoined. Didnt know until you mentioned the blog.

About that bungie Page, the Posts are quite Old already, not much happened. *shrugs*
Can we be sure it was rumor from an official? I think many people think an old boss would reappear.

Last edited by paradox-01 (06/03/15 00:06)

#9 06/03/15 08:06

HCthenemesis
Website

Certainty is always questionable, even when an official makes a statement. The company/brand starts saying later on that it was his/her "personal opinion". Exactly why this forum came into existence, and why forked Oni came in as the AE was made. Mods came in... and I guess you were there nearly since this place existed. The rest is... oh you know.
As far as shrugs are concerned, yeah *shrugs* it is a bit disappointing to see this game which is SO UNDERRATED, and is easily one of the top 20 games ever made if all games ever created were genuinely considered. And of course the multiplayer, the Mech boss and all that was missing... PHEW! It gained momentum quite well back in 1999 with mag covers, posters, comics... quite a lot of promotion (not by Bungie West unlike today). So mod creation, character creation, and.. etc.
One active topic concerns Konoko's hair, I guess.
I saw one thread here declaring multiplayer functionality for Oni available here, but latency issues are there.
I think the Mech monster feature has not been made available (don't tell me the mod for that) properly.

I think what we need to do is get in touch with the old Bungie devs and know what EXACTLY (the complete setup) they removed in the released Oni. I think that would help us make the ideal Oni that it could have been. And unlike the last time I discussed about collectively buying Oni rights from Take-Two, where money was an issue, here we simply need to talk to any well-versed Oni dev.

#10 06/03/15 08:06

TOCS

I suppose you could get in contact with Hardy LeBel and ask if he knows anything about some leftover content being stored somewhere. A fully fledged design document wouldn't be too bad either. It seems pretty hard to trace him up though.

#11 06/03/15 08:06

HCthenemesis
Website

*hehe* You just reiterated my solution. That's a job someone out of the veterans at this forum, with artwork and mod work to back their rep, can do quite easily. I can trace down people, just maybe (saying). And I can tell you about these guys apart from the Wikipedia stuff etc. But talking and contact part is something a high rep guy here can and must do, if I advise.

#12 06/03/15 13:06

paradox-01

Even If we had the full story (actually this should be the Most Complete version  ), With out source code i Don See These improvements coming to oni 1.

#13 06/03/15 14:06

HCthenemesis
Website

This is certainly not more complete. Just imagine a popular game (any, though Oni-like game would help). You remove its multiplayer element. Try removing Need For Speed (of course not like Oni) multiplayer functionality. Imagine a dry, no competition game with you requiring to beat a stupid CPU AI. Same with Oni here. You could set hardest mode and still defeat Muro easily in 15 mins. So paradox, we need to undestand that multiplayer and Mech boss were not the only things that were removed. There must have been other not-talked-about removed features that have not been disclosed till this date. I have contacted Hardy (LeBel). Let's see what reply comes in. Reply to this one.

#14 06/03/15 15:06

paradox-01

"Reply to this one." ... Good luck.

#15 06/03/15 15:06

TOCS

The Iron Demon and multiplayer were not the only things cut from the game. Take a look at our knowledgebase, OniGalore, it has tons of articles about supposed content that never hit retail release. Start reading here: http://wiki.oni2.net/Pre-beta_content

Also, paradox, I don't think you should underestimate the capabilities of a fully fledged design document as it describes everything down the smallest detail. I think it's comparable to a cooking recipe. With detailed descriptions of mechanics and game design it would be much easier to motivate people into creating something because of the clear developing direction. And even if it wouldn't change a thing, it would still be interesting to know more about Oni's development and its universe.

Last edited by TOCS (06/03/15 15:06)

#16 06/03/15 16:06

HCthenemesis
Website

TOCS, do you know who I am? Why refer to paradox? Did he underestimate the document's authenticity? I did. Because there's always room for improvement (or ...) you get it. I will see the pre-beta content. Let's wait for the reply from Hardy.

#17 06/03/15 16:06

TOCS

HCthenemesis wrote:

TOCS, do you know who I am? Why refer to paradox? Did he underestimate the document's authenticity? I did. Because there's always room for improvement (or ...) you get it. I will see the pre-beta content. Let's wait for the reply from Hardy.

I don't think you understand the structure or cohesion of my comment. The first part was directed towards you. You spoke only of the Iron Demon and multiplayer as content being cut from the game, so I assumed you didn't know about the pre-beta content. For that reason, I referred you to our knowledge base and one of its articles. If you at any point, "underestimated the document's authenticity", I didn't get that, sorry.

The second part was directed towards paradox because he expressed disbelief in what the outcome of said document(s) might be, so I tried to elaborate on why I believe it would be beneficial to be in possession of it.

Sorry if it awoke some confusion, I'll try to use the quote-funktion better in the future. tongue

Last edited by TOCS (06/03/15 16:06)

#18 06/04/15 04:06

paradox-01

I think he means authenticity hmm .. authority .. (in sense of being important and a motivating guide).
Okay trying hard to spare you my pessimisms.
Get that man. The reputation will be for nothing if he don't know us. We shouldn't rely on that.
(Also: "Dear Sir, please hand me over your document because I made mods/imgs." Am I the only one who think thats ...)
Might not much matter who talks to him.
Maybe we could ask him what he would wanted in the game.
If he gives us the material we could make that mod for him and if he hasn't AE, we upload a Youtube vid of it...
Generate a win-win situation?

#19 06/04/15 04:06

TOCS

paradox-01 wrote:

I think he means authenticity hmm .. authority .. (in sense of being important and a motivating guide).
Okay trying hard to spare you my pessimisms.
Get that man. The reputation will be for nothing if he don't know us. We shouldn't rely on that.
(Also: "Dear Sir, please hand me over your document because I made mods/imgs." Am I the only one who think thats ...)
Might not much matter who talks to him.
Maybe we could ask him what he would wanted in the game.
If he gives us the material we could make that mod for him and if he hasn't AE, we upload a Youtube vid of it...
Generate a win-win situation?

There's a game called Serious Sam, first-person shooter, you probably know it -- it was initially intended to be just one really big game with a trillion levels and guns. Unfortunately, development wasn't without obstacles, like with Oni, so they had to scrap quite a bit of content and rework most of it. Since then, a group of Russian modders decided to pick up the task of recreating Serious Sam the way it was originally intended to be. After a while they were granted access to a database of old scrapped content and the design document by the lead developer at CroTeam.

It was more or less this path I had in mind when HC started talking about contacting old Bungie West employees. tongue

#20 06/04/15 05:06

paradox-01

Before we start daydreaming about more modding work done ... ähm ... we should see how HC's contacting turns out. wink

#21 06/04/15 06:06

HCthenemesis
Website

TOCS, I need to clarify one thing: when (last time - Oni rights buying discussion - before permanent BAN) I saw all things Oni, it included everything (even the minute details). So I am quite knowledgeable about Oni, and was able to initiate huge discussions before getting banned. If you see comment #9 above, it goes like this:

... And of course the multiplayer, the Mech boss and all that was missing... PHEW! ...

And to remove doubts I took blame of doubting authenticity on me purposely. Because there's always room for... you get it. (deja vu? No.)
Serious Sam is a good example, by all means (unless you have anything to doubt on). You traced it right, TOCS.
paradox, you have also got it right here. Daydreaming is bullshit (ehm.. *coughs*). Well, whatever. But Hardy's reply is something I, and you (if at all concerned) should look forward to.
And repeating again, paradox said:

... Even If we had the full story (actually this should be the Most Complete version  ), With out source code i Don See These improvements coming to oni 1. ...

TOCS, do you really feel that? Is Oni really complete? Or would it have been much better with all that stuff removed, just like Serious Sam happened? Because the removed and kept parts alike were creations of Bungie West devs, and we still love the kept parts which I believe are 70-75% of the total content we know of.
This is why I contacted Hardy on TOCS's suggestion for a reply. We still don't know some missing pieces of the huge puzzle guys.

#22 06/04/15 07:06

TOCS

HCthenemesis wrote:

TOCS, I need to clarify one thing: when (last time - Oni rights buying discussion - before permanent BAN) I saw all things Oni, it included everything (even the minute details). So I am quite knowledgeable about Oni, and was able to initiate huge discussions before getting banned. If you see comment #9 above, it goes like this:

... And of course the multiplayer, the Mech boss and all that was missing... PHEW! ...

And to remove doubts I took blame of doubting authenticity on me purposely. Because there's always room for... you get it. (deja vu? No.)
Serious Sam is a good example, by all means (unless you have anything to doubt on). You traced it right, TOCS.
paradox, you have also got it right here. Daydreaming is bullshit (ehm.. *coughs*). Well, whatever. But Hardy's reply is something I, and you (if at all concerned) should look forward to.
And repeating again, paradox said:

... Even If we had the full story (actually this should be the Most Complete version  ), With out source code i Don See These improvements coming to oni 1. ...

TOCS, do you really feel that? Is Oni really complete? Or would it have been much better with all that stuff removed, just like Serious Sam happened? Because the removed and kept parts alike were creations of Bungie West devs, and we still love the kept parts which I believe are 70-75% of the total content we know of.
This is why I contacted Hardy on TOCS's suggestion for a reply. We still don't know some missing pieces of the huge puzzle guys.

I'm positive that whatever information we can get will benefit us in one way or another even if we don't use it to make mods. Outside of the actual in-game assets there're still a lot of unanswered questions related to the story that I think a lot of people would like to know about. I'll be waiting for Hardy's response. smile

#23 06/04/15 07:06

HCthenemesis
Website

I want to show you all this. Probably a combination of the pre-ban Oni rights buyout discussion and this. It has been personally collected by me with time and effort from the Oni Shots Archive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

lets make a petition!!!!

Posted By: -666-
Date: 3/1/01 11:29 a.m.

We need a Oni mod tool dammit!!
    I want more !!!more!!! MORE!!!!!

If only the game had multiplayer...wouldnt it kick ass?
    I sent a e-mail to a tech guy just to know if they ever going to add multiplayer(i can dream cant i?)

here is what he said
    ------------------

-We initially intended to include multiplayer capability in Oni, but for
    -technical reasons it had to be scrapped.

-Adding net play to Oni is beyond the scope of a patch; it would require a
    -rewrite of the game engine and a complete redesign of most if not all of
    -the levels. Thus, a multiplayer patch or add-on for Oni is unlikely

-Matt Soell
    -Community Guy / Keeper of the Bungie Way
    -Bungie Studios

I am so sad now.........I mean...realy sad....snif.....snif....

We need to do something about it!!We cant just leave a good game like that without multiplayer!!!

Re: lets make a petition!!!!

Posted By: MrCloud <jack@jarjar.f9.co.uk>
Date: 3/1/01 1:05 p.m.

In Response To: lets make a petition!!!! (-666-)

Not all good games have to have multi player you know. But not putting it in because of latency is a pretty bad exuse.

By the way im for the petition.

Posted By: Darren Purdy <sadisticvegita@aol.com>
Date: 3/1/01 2:02 p.m.

In Response To: Re: lets make a petition!!!! (MrCloud)

Hey, this isn't just a good game, it would just be the ultimate multiplayer game! (I'm in)

Date: 3/1/01 2:11 p.m.

In Response To: Re: lets make a petition!!!! (Darren Purdy)

Just think of yourself dirsarming a oppenent or using running lariat in multiplayer!
    Of course making coop will take too long to program(remake all lvl) but what about deathmatch,team,king of the hill,flag,or some new things like one guy is the big mutant muro and others have to hunt him down!

We would need someone to make a site where ppl could sign the petition and voice thier opinion!

I mean comeon the game would kill everything in multiplayer!!
    We need to show the guys at ungie we care enough!

EXE_BIGPAPA@YAHOO.COM

another thing..

Date: 3/1/01 2:27 p.m.

In Response To: Re: lets make a petition!!!! (-666-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Multiplayer gaming was taken off Oni a while ago (approx. late 1999), and announced at MacWorld San Francisco 2000. The reasons for this were that making levels for net games would delay Oni even more and due to latency issues TCP/IP multiplayer was not going to be in Oni anyway.LAN multiplayer also reportedly caused problems. There may be an add-on released by Gathering of Developers (who acquired rights to Oni via Take 2 Interactive as a result of Microsoft buying Bungie in June 2000) that could at least enable LAN multiplayer and possibly internet gameplay.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the "may be an add-on" thing
    We must make sure that "may be" transform into a "there will be"
    smile

Date: 3/1/01 2:58 p.m.

it would be sooooo cool if you could use disarm to get the flag in capture the flag...

Re: lets make a petition!!!! [nt]

Posted By: Qwerty <DrkBlast@hotmail.com>
Date: 3/1/01 3:01 p.m.

let's do it (nt) [nt]

Posted By: who cares? <tobiasbrunner@mac.com>
Date: 3/3/01 10:53 a.m.

In Response To: Re: lets make a petition!!!! [nt] (Qwerty)

Re: let's do it (nt)

Posted By: This side up <THOM5915@clackamas.cc.or.us>
Date: 3/9/01 11:47 a.m.

In Response To: let's do it (nt) [nt] (who cares?)

Sweet! Dude!
    I'm up for it after all they left out the Iron Demon (a giant mecha) as well as key config support, multiplayer, some guns, 17 models, 24 levels, 12 soundtracks, etc etc etc.
    I'd be pleased if they'd release the rest of what they were working on. It would be worth it.

I am the pixy from hell. to see me view my other post. By the way cabbits are cool >^..^<

Re: let's do it (nt)

Date: 3/10/01 8:27 a.m.

In Response To: Re: let's do it (nt) (This side up)

It would be really cool if you had to fight the iron demon while in your full chrysalis mode so you are big enough to do moves on it. I'm up for the petition.

Posted By: bgroves <bgroves@mac.com>
Date: 3/10/01 11:30 p.m.

In Response To: lets make a petition!!!! (-666-)

I spoke with one of the Bungie West Team (shared an office with him for a bit), and he told me that multiplayer had been scrapped due to latency and sync issues. Basically, he said, they would play multiplayer on a network with a gigabit backbone, and would still lose sync all the time. Hence, they ditched it. Sucks though...

B

Posted By: This side up <THOM5915@clackamas.cc.or.us>
Date: 3/13/01 10:32 a.m.

In Response To: Re: lets make a petition!!!! (bgroves)

I'd like to try the other weapons they left out. I don't think any of the current weapons would do much to the iron demon unless I was really close with a scream cannon. It would take me out in a few seconds.

Date: 3/13/01 3:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: lets make a petition!!!! (This side up)

It would be good if you could actually carve up the iron demon into little pieces with the Wave Motion Cannon's beam. Too slow to dodge that chaingun though.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hardy responded in just one day (well, less). He seemed to be "flattered" (exact word) because I remember and love Oni so much to this date. And I elaborated today more on getting the details. Looking forward to another response from him.
Guys, I would like you to comment on this "petition" discussion that happened. Go through each detail carefully.

#24 06/04/15 08:06

paradox-01

Why don't you simply quote his full message instead.

Seriously I dont believe you. smile

#25 06/04/15 08:06

HCthenemesis
Website

My email was this:
Subject:
Discuss Oni story - deleted parts

I am a die-hard fan of Oni and would be really obliged to be able to
have a discussion on the deleted parts of Oni in minuscule detail.

Thanking you,
Author,
HC Tech Byte

This was Hardy's reply:
Harsh,

I'm flattered that you got in touch.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Best,

- Hardy

Now my reply to this is:
Hardy,

No need to be flattered Emoji, it exists to serve as an example of an underrated masterpiece, despite the removed parts.

There is this link: [wiki.oni2.net/Pre-beta_features]

I am sure you could take out 10 minutes out of your busy life (atleast as I imagine Emoji) to see that this is what Oni fans collected.

But I feel (and possibly sure of) that this is not all that was removed in the final version of the game.

Please help me access the minutest details of all content that was there (and should have been). (Don't we love more of any game/movie?)

Thanking you,
Author,
HC Tech Byte

Hope that satiates your curiosity, paradox. wink

EDIT: Please have a look at "petition" discussion from the Oni Shots Archive I collected.

Last edited by HCthenemesis (06/04/15 08:06)

Board footer