Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/28/14 22:12

Lithium

Regarding the Chrysalis

What exactly is the stance on who has it? Like I know the main two and Barabas and Mukade have it but what about some of the grunts? I always figured that those trails in special moves were features the Chrysalis gave someone and storywise I think it makes sense.

Muro and Griffin both probably experimented with it and gave smaller portions(?) of it to some of their forces but Muro was a lot more generous with it since he had lesser moral values than Griffin did. Muro most likely gave them to all his main grunts as obviously having stronger grunts on the field makes it easier to accomplish his goal of taking over the processors, and being Muro he probably didn't give much of a damn if it had large negative effects on people which is why everyone has it in his group. It's also likely that because Muro was more willing to experiment with it he discovered that it's not exactly that dangerous on someone so he was willing to give it to more people, Muro was planning to give it to everyone so that they could become his slaves in order to survive in the new world, he would have to make sure it works across a large span of people in order for his plan to work.

As for Griffin, I believe that he dabbled a bit in it, in order to understand it better he could have also used it on other people. Griffin also seems extremely cautious and even afraid of the Chrysalis, which is why I believe he personally only allows it on some of the better officers, the bulkier more durable SWATS. Griffin most likely found only these officers to be worthy of the risk of the Chrysalis, which is why we see them have the daodan trails that nobody else in the force has, the opposite of Muro's in which everyone has the daodan trail. Maybe he also used it to try and increase his odds against the much stronger and capable syndicate (seriously, these guys are jobbers compared to the Syndicate and it shows damn well in a lot of encounters, vanilla game of course).

The color trails for the most part fit this, SWATs have a blueish-yellowish trail which would come from Mai, and a lot of Muro's goons have the warmer colors he has, orange-red, except for Ninjas, Strikers, and Comguys, why exactly are those 3 different from the rest if their Chrysalis comes from Muro's? It's not consistent with the rest of the colors in the syndicate, what's the explanation?

At the end of the day though, it's most likely just an added effect and I'm overthinking something minor. Blah.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#2 12/29/14 09:12

paradox-01

Re: Regarding the Chrysalis

At the end of the day though, it's most likely just an added effect and I'm overthinking something minor. Blah.

Ingame developer messages and missing binaries indicates that even thugs were supposed to have colorful trails.
But it's not clear why we don't see them in the vanilla game version.
Might have been the particle limit or the intention to make a few characters more special than others again, paired with bad clean-up due to the speedy release in the end. Who knows...

Imo, you can create and propagate any interpretation as long as it appears believable. smile

#3 12/29/14 09:12

Iritscen

I always assumed the contrails were just a special effect, like the hit flashes.  I don't think you can give portions of the Chrysalis to people.  It's either fully integrated with them, taking over their body, or it's not.  And the TCTF has enough trouble just keeping Mai from going out of control without giving it to more of their people.

We do know that others besides Muro and Mai have Chrysalises.  Muro and Mai are referred to as "primary symbiotes", which implies there are "secondary" ones too, and Mai is called "the other prime symbiote" by a scientist working for Muro, so that tells us that there are two of them.  We're told in this console that others have been implanted with Chrysalises, but it doesn't exactly sound like large numbers of Strikers and other Syndicate soldiers would have them.

There are plenty of hints that Barabas and Mukade are two such "secondary" symbiotes.  They actually seem to be at or near the Imago level because they each have two superpowers like Mutant Muro does.  Compared to them, it's hard to see what the Chrysalis would be doing for the ordinary Syndicate grunt.  Konoko is much stronger than they are.  And they aren't much stronger than the TCTF forces either.

The game's story points to the Chrysalis basically being an unpredictable, uncontrollable, ultimate technology, so I would expect to see more dramatic results.  But I can't prove that the Syndicate hasn't just recently implanted a lot of them with Chrysalises and they are simply at an early stage of development.  At least this way Muro's forces would survive the reversal of the ACCs, but I'm not sure he actually cares about retaining most of those forces in the new world he's going to create.  Certainly at least the Mad Bombers don't seem to expect to survive the impending cataclysm, being suicide bombers who say things like "We're all doomed!"

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 12/29/14 15:12

Lithium

Yeah I realized a lot of that as I read the wiki, I don't know why I didn't read it before. Guess it is just an effect if the thugs were supposed to have them.

I was under the impression Muro did try to have some of his forces have it, what's the point of going through with a plan like that if it means losing your army or whatnot. Perhaps just only a few of his grunts though, like his most elite or loyal ones, I assume most guys at the compound have it myself.

#5 12/29/14 16:12

Iritscen

I think it was sort of a missed opportunity in terms of their rushed development of the game and how late the story came together.  It would have made sense to encounter super-strong foes, maybe with Daodan auras, in the final level.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 12/29/14 16:12

Lithium

Yeah I think so too

Edit: I need to learn to read before I reply, god damn.

Last edited by Lithium (12/29/14 16:12)

Board footer