Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#376 09/14/14 19:09

mrdanieli21

Re: Flatline Alpha

can't believe it worked  tongue  tongue  thank you, but it has too many ¿''latency problems''? or bugs, don't know, so please keep working on your NO flatline mp. That would be great

#377 09/14/14 21:09

Iritscen

Yeah, the latency problem is what I'm hoping to address in my MP, though I can't make any promises.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#378 09/17/14 16:09

Docboy

Hello,

my...I cant express feelings I have seeing this alive.

Every now and than I listen Oni OST and at least once a year I play Oni.

But Multiplayer its like WOW - a must be on planet Earth

I hope you'll get it work over internet as you want!! My best wishes!!

#379 09/23/14 20:09

mrdanieli21

so any progresses?

#380 09/26/14 16:09

Dirk Gently
Website

Progress will be posted as it is significant to report. I know it is hard to wait for something like this, but nobody works on it full-time. I can promise you posts will be made when there is news to share about it. Thanks smile

#381 10/05/14 11:10

mrdanieli21

well, in that case can somebody give me the link to the last flatline update? i tried to play the other but it bugs when jumping and my cousin can't even change character

#382 10/05/14 19:10

Iritscen

I believe this is the latest version of Flatline, based on the date: http://www.gumby.oni2.net/daodan/ (development ceased in 2011).  Not sure if that's the same as the version you already tried.  I don't think the version number was regularly updated so we can't go by that.

#383 10/05/14 20:10

mrdanieli21

yes, i think i already tried this version, but i saw on youtube the gameplay is completely different than this one

#384 10/05/14 21:10

Iritscen

Oh?  What was different?  You mean this YouTube video?  The Flatline DLL I linked to above is from August 2011 and the video is from January 2011.

#385 10/08/14 21:10

mrdanieli21

noo i saw another one, but well, i don't care anymore, i tried it, and i'll wait for your version

#386 10/31/14 18:10

Vortrex

Hey people, I played AE a year ago and multiplayer worked fine.
Now I reinstalled my Oni game and downloaded the newest AE version.
But when I enable Developer mode and press ' host ' in the console nothing shows up. Just string: host
I just installed AE and then I started Oni windowed with no mods so I don't know what I did wrong. sad
Can someone help me?

#387 10/31/14 18:10

Iritscen

Hi Vortrex.  Your problem is that multiplayer was removed from the Daodan DLL that comes with the AE due to development difficulties.  You'll need to use the Daodan DLL (binkw32.dll) that's found at the link I provided above on 10/5.

#388 11/01/14 05:11

Vortrex

Thanks man, it works now!   O:)

#389 11/01/14 10:11

Iritscen

Good, glad to hear it.

#390 11/08/14 22:11

mrdanieli21

ssoooo, irits, did you recover the work already?

#391 01/31/15 22:01

Iritscen

Well, it's been about a year since I first said I would be releasing something soon.  So what happened?  I wasn't sure either, so I took a look back over my records of the past year.  In December 2013, I was completing the code for the basic transfer of information that would enable full gameplay, and I suppose I thought I would release when this was done.  I was probably feeling impatient since I started the work in 2012.

But I hadn't tested the code extensively over the Internet to see how latency affected things.  So around the time I was hoping to release, in January 2014, I did more testing to see what I was going to be unleashing upon the community, and I saw that players were frequently going out of sync before being forcibly corrected by the host.  In high-latency situations, it was basically unplayable.  I also had a couple other Oni projects that took time away from development.

So over the last year, I've spent:
- two full months on helping introduce XML modding to Anniversary Edition Seven and updating wiki information,
- another two months helping test Feral's new build of Oni for Intel Macs,
- probably three months on latency compensation,
- probably four months on back-end stuff (code for testing and gathering data), and
- the remaining month or so on improving the experience, mainly by adding a GUI menu so you don't need to use Oni's developer console to start a game.

My most recent plan was to get the code to version 0.070 before making any public release, but I recently changed my mind and decided that I won't be able to improve the code very much without lots more input from testers, so I should just release what I have so far, at v0.060.  So what I'm going to do is start off with an alpha release just for Mac OS X.  That's the platform I'm on, and it's easier to just focus on a smaller pool of testers before I put the code under a bigger spotlight with a cross-platform Windows/Mac release.  The Windows port will also take additional time, so I first want to make sure I have something that's worth porting.

Well, I didn't mean to write so much, but that's actually the short version of the story.  I just felt that I owed you guys an explanation for the long delay.  I'll point out one final thing in my defense, which is that Flatline was in development almost as long, and Zukai's codebase is five times bigger than Flatline's so far.

Yes, that's the name of the multiplayer project, Zukai.  I'm making a thread for it now, in the Modifications forum, so I'll urge all Mac users to head over there and help me test.  For now, Flatline is the sole option for multiplayer on Windows, and we should probably try to keep this thread on-topic from here on.  Sorry to anyone who was expecting me to release something for Windows, but trust me, the gameplay is still quite rough, so you're not missing much yet.

#392 02/04/15 12:02

danieli21

Thank god, i was wondering if you were still working on it, dude, one question, i think i already asked but i'm asking again, will it be LAN?? or thing with public server?, i think lan would be best

#393 02/04/15 13:02

Iritscen

When you say "public server", do you mean a dedicated server?  No, like Flatline, it uses a listen server.  So it does allow LAN play, and doesn't require an Internet connection.

#394 02/04/15 14:02

Samer
Website

Iritscen you know that my internet is really slow, would I be able to play vs someone from another country .. ever ? or should I just forget it tongue

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#395 02/04/15 15:02

Iritscen

Ugh, well that's a tough question.  If it's just a slow connection (little bandwidth), it shouldn't be an issue.  But your Internet seems to be poor quality, which is to say that there might be a lot of packet loss, and high latency.  One simple way to judge the quality of your connection is to use the 'ping' tool on your command line to ping a relevant target, like an Oni fan in another country (he'll have to give you his IP address).  Then tell me your average ping, the deviation in ping, and the lost packet percentage.

If I were just going from your past reports on your connection, I would say not to get your hopes up that you could play against someone outside of Lebanon.  Um, do you ever participate in LAN parties? hmm

#396 02/04/15 18:02

danieli21

Thank god, this is going to be epic :'D
me and my cousin and uncle always wanted to know who will beat each other's ass at oni

shame oni isn't a known game, this would be a great project

i know codding this kind of thing is hard, but is it going to be possible to include bots?? or make other
players to join the story mode, idk, but anyway thanks for keeping this on

#397 02/04/15 18:02

Iritscen

I do plan to include bots at some point, yes.  It should be helpful in padding out games, since there aren't many active Oni fans.  But I have a bunch of other stuff on the to-do list before that.  A co-op story mode might be possible (I already have an idea of how to fit a second player into the story), but it would have to come after easier things like a co-op arena mode.

I'd like to encourage people to ask Zukai questions in the Zukai thread from now on.  I never intended for this thread to get derailed by my new project, and some players will still want to ask questions here about how to use Flatline, so we should probably leave this thread to get back on track.

#398 02/11/15 15:02

danieli21

iritscen, about that Flatline link you gave me, the client can't change character, only the host, can you give me a solution to that?

#399 02/11/15 19:02

Iritscen

Hmm, that's strange.  As far as I know, hosts and clients should both be able to shape-shift with F8.  Did you try swapping roles with the other player, and having the previous host be the client and try to change his character, to make sure it wasn't something specific to the first client's copy of Oni?  Maybe try turning on the cheat code "shapeshifter".  It shouldn't be necessary because Dev Mode already enables F8, but maybe it will make a difference.

#400 02/11/15 20:02

danieli21

Don't worry, i fixed it putting "bind o to block" on the console and change character with O.

By the way, are you already working on YOUR m.p.??
I
already tried fully the flatline on lan and the latency is no problem when the ping is at 0, but damn it sometimes gets to 120 or 30 it's so annoying nahahh, so i'm waiting for your mode smile

Board footer