Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/13/14 23:08

aku

Re: New engine ?

off-topic:

I always was wondering why anyone would like to make mods for a game engine 15 years old?
I mean since all game content already extracted why not to use free/semi-free/opensource engine to make mods/new levels?

Mods what I've saw modifies game in way when it looses it's authentic look.
So why not spin them into separate project?
At least in this case I'd be happy to participate.

#2 08/14/14 01:08

paradox-01

Get that engine. Make a demo level with h2h and gunfire. Show us. Then we can talk again.  ]:D

#3 08/14/14 01:08

aku

I can do that, the only thing that the question was not about me.

#4 08/14/14 03:08

paradox-01

1. To a fair amout we are now familiar with the Oni engine and can create content for it. With a new engine we would have to learn anew how to make things.
2. We, or at least me, don't know a free engine that mimic Oni in all its aspects.

Now then, you can help us, but will you help us?

#5 08/14/14 03:08

aku

1) isn't that is what human do in this life? at least for me learning new is fun.
2) for example?

Why not, if it will match my skills and will be interesting to me.
Will you have anything matching and interesting for me that is another question.
At least I'm open to discussion.

#6 08/14/14 03:08

paradox-01

1) "isn't that is what human do in this life? at least for me learning new is fun."
Yes it can be fun. But if you don't have much time results will be accomplished even slower if you keep learning new stuff.
With limited time you have to be economic - stick to something and produce content.

2) Proper engine. (Advanced character animation system, AI, particle, powerful scripting support.)
If you don't know one this "off-topic" is closed to me.
If you know one start a new thread.

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/14/14 03:08)

#7 08/14/14 03:08

aku

2) I meant what do you need from engine? What tasks you want it to solve out of the box?

I'm working with unity3d and ue4, also I have eval kit from unigine, also I was helping to port custom engine based on ogre3d.
But engine for me is a tool. And which one to choose(engine) depends on the task itself.
That's why I'm asking.

#8 08/14/14 04:08

paradox-01

New engine ?

Aku wrote:

2) I meant what do you need from engine? What tasks you want it to solve out of the box?

E.g. a character must be able to play an animation onto another character.
We need a proof of concept.
Can you port Konoko's K+↑ (from FRONT) throw to unity3d/ue4 including the key-combination needed to be pressed?

-----------------

Engine must support:
- characters with 19-bone-hierarchy (if not we would have to recreate all 3000 animations)
- animations for characters with 19-bone-hierarchy
- characters must be able to play animations (e.g. throws) onto other characters
- particle movements, perperties, events
- scripts that can target characters, objects, particle, sounds, triggervolumes, etc.

Last edited by paradox-01 (08/14/14 05:08)

#9 08/14/14 09:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Because recreating the same behavior out of another engine is non-trivial. This is something we have discussed before and I believe we ended up deciding it wasn't worth the effort to try to port everything over. While we have the game assets recreating much of the game behavior isn't going to be an easy task. Also I think many of us mod and play this game 14 years later because we like the game, not the concept. As Paradox pointed out, there are very few engines that could directly support the features without recoding a good chunk.

#10 08/15/14 00:08

aku

to Dirk: as I told, I do not think that it has sense to port whole game on new engine.

But why not to make spin-off on other engine?
I saw at least 2 attempts made in past(somewhere there), with unity3d and some custom engine.
At least I want to know what went wrong and does it has sense for me to make same mistakes.

Let's say I can recreate some simple setup with ue4(or unigine/unity3d), will anyone work with me?

#11 08/15/14 04:08

paradox-01

I don't want a spin-off. Sequal or nothing.

"will anyone work with me?"
I would only work with you if there's a proof of concept with all important features of Oni 1.

#12 08/15/14 07:08

Iritscen

What would a spin-off mean, in this case?  To me, the core of Oni is the blend of gunplay and melee.  I think that's the case for all of us.  This feature took Bungie West a while to develop and it's the only part of the game that is actually refined.  Specifically I am referring to the interpolated animations and the way the game controls smoothly.  Even the camera is used skillfully during throws.

I wouldn't be interested in a game where Konoko's melee was reduced to simple attacks while she ran around shooting at people, because there's already a ton of games that do that.  Nor a side-scrolling brawler, nor a top-down RPG, etc.  That's why, without a tech demo, I couldn't see a way forward to making a sequel using another engine.

There were two attempts at making a proper sequel, using the Serious Sam engine and using a custom-built engine called Flexine.  Flexine was pretty close to reproducing Oni's combat; it had the basics down, just not the graceful control of the original.  Unfortunately that project is no longer under development.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer