Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/02/14 17:08

Knox

My last pack (quitting smoking)

I started smoking a while back to help deal with the stress my schoolwork was giving me (finals are a real bitch at my high school). I kept telling myself I'd quit after I graduated, but it didn't work out that way. So I've decided that after this last pack runs out, I'm kicking the habit altogether, considering that cancer is what killed my granddad, and that my grandma agreed to quit with me. I already know that this is gonna be difficult. So is there anyone here that used to smoke that might give me some tips?

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#2 08/03/14 06:08

Samer
Website

Re: My last pack (quitting smoking)

you smoke yikes tongue
Personally I have never smoked, but my dad smokes a lot and I can see how badly it affects his health. His father died of lung cancer as well .. I Have tried to make him quit several times, but to no avail.  It's become an addiction for him.

So, I really hope you stick by your decision and carry through with it no matter how tough it gets. It's great that you have made a conscious decision to stop, that's the first step in the right direction, and it will be easier for you to quit now than later when you're older and when your body is more addicted to the nicotine.

As a pharmacist if you find it too difficult, I can tell you there are pharmaceutical products that can help you quit, like nicotine patches and chewing gums (if you feel like you need a bit of extra help, they can be very useful)

Last edited by Samer (08/03/14 06:08)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#3 08/03/14 17:08

Knox

Thanks smile. Finished off my last smoke last night. Bought a pack of gum this morning, it's helped.

Oni fan since 2001.

#4 08/03/14 17:08

TOCS

Smoking easily becomes an addiction, I know this from my parents. Both used to smoke until 2008, then my mum decided to quit permanently. My dad tried to follow that decision as well, but was basically a party smoker until New Year's Eve 2013.

Both seem to agree that they wouldn't use artificial substitutes, as the addiction would just transcend unto something else.

I really have no prolonged experience smoking whatsoever. I've smoked a water pipe a few times at parties and with friends, and even though it tastes nice and has a soothing effect on you, it kinda makes me sick after a while. So I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, but because I only weigh around 65 kg, I decided that I would allow myself to eat a little unhealthy from time to time as compensation. big_smile

Last edited by TOCS (08/03/14 17:08)

#5 08/03/14 23:08

Knox

Been 24 hours since my last smoke. Got a bit of a headache at the moment.

Oni fan since 2001.

#6 08/04/14 08:08

Loser

Go go go Knox, rooting for you heavily! My friend was stopping quite for a time (he said there were strong urges to take a smoke early after quitting), but in the end it settled down and now he is not a smoker anymore.

You can do it!  cool

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#7 08/04/14 12:08

aku

Several advices:
1) If you quitting - then quit. Remember that each time you stopping and starting again only makes things worser: your immune system need to adopt again.
2) Also you need to stop drinking alcohol. It makes things easier.
3) It has sense to replace smoking with some physical activities: so you will have less time for thinking about cigarets. ;-) Plus you'll fill better after quitting(mainly because in 2 - 4 week your lungs will be much cleaner then before): use it as a trick for your brain, link sport activities with this fact.

Also:
Not smoking doesn't guarantees that you will not get some other disease when you'll become older.
Your granddad story is not what you think it is: normally immune system can handle many things and cancerogenic substances from tobacco is one of them.

Image this analogy: immune system have many different settings(like game engine), some of them about proper cell apoptosis (if something goes wrong, like cancer, cell kills itself) and self-cleanup.
This settings depends on your genetic. And if they are not optimal then any cancerogenic substances can trigger cancer.
You only can help your immune system by eating healthy food and living in healthy environment and keeping you body in good shape.
But the main part depends on your gens. Those which you have from you father/mother/grandparents and etc.

IMHO:
Just remember that it is how Humans designed by nature.
At this point of technical progress we can not change it.
But what really matter is how you living your life.
And in some cases there is no need to stop smoking at all.
At the end of it we all going to die, there is no need to worry about it.
Just try to live your life in way when you will not need to regret about it.

PS: To be honest: I'm still smoking from time to time and yes, I'm not planning to live forever. ;-)

Last edited by aku (08/04/14 12:08)

#8 08/04/14 15:08

Samer
Website

Uhm ... not true tongue
"Your granddad story is not what you think it is: normally immune system can handle many things and cancerogenic substances from tobacco is one of them."

The immune system can handle many things yes... carcergenics are not attacked by the immune system, they do cause cell mutations and the accumulation of them over the years will cause more mutation that normal cell apoptosis will not be sufficient enough to counteract.

Imagine this analogy : everyday you ingest a small portion of a toxin. Sure your immune system can handle that small amount. But the accumulation of it over months will kill you.

Evidence that relates smoking to lung cancer is simply irrefutable... what the substances in it do to the lungs is a proven fact .. cancer is one of them, emphysema and COPD (chronic obstrictive pulmonary disease) (can have fatal complications), Hypertension and other forms of cancer are among the many other diseases strongly related to smoking.

You can't just say hell my immune system will take care of it. No one plans to live forever but there's no reason to speed it up by deliberately taking substances known to be carcinogenics.
Genetics play a role of course they may speed it up ... but they won't give you immunity against known carcinogenics or toxins.
And of course eating healthy is good, but you can't eat healthy on one side and then go ingest toxins on the other thinking they counteract each other. Avoiding it from the start is the main solution.

"And in some cases there is no need to stop smoking at all.
At the end of it we all going to die, there is no need to worry about it."
Like in what cases is it advisable to not stop smoking ? Evey cigarette you don't smoke you decrease damage that has already been done to your lungs and body and give it a chance to rebuild itself.
In that case let's do meth too tongue we're all gonna die anyway. That's never a good reason.

So yeah knox have fun .. but don't commit slow suicide just to relieve stress ... there are many other ways to relieve stress ... nicotine itself is a cns stimulant thats why you feel energised when tou take it .. but the withdraw effect it has causes you stress, the longer you smoke the more reliant your body becomes on it and the more amount you'll need for it to have same effect. That's the addictive part. But once you quit your body will regulate itself again and you won't feel you need it.. it just takes some time.

stay strong smile

Last edited by Samer (08/04/14 15:08)

#9 08/24/14 14:08

Samer
Website

how are you doing Knox ?

#10 08/24/14 16:08

Knox

Been going well, thank you. smile What has it been, three weeks?

Oni fan since 2001.

#11 08/24/14 16:08

Lithium

A little over but yes that is correct

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer