Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 12/07/10 04:12

Jon God

Re: Konoko Payne, November 2010

I finally got a chance to play this for the first time. Having no access to a PC that could run it until now.

I must say, it's amazing to play a game that feels like it could be a sequel to ONI, and I was quite impressed with a lot of your touches.

Though, It is not to say without fault, it felt like the hit detection was not as good as Oni's, I often went to punch someone only to punch right past them, and they weren't even moving. I know there's a lock-on feature, which partially fixes the situation, but when it dis-locks on when someone falls over, it leads to the same problem, or at least, mashing the button until it locks on again. Also, I didn't check, but was there a toggle for lock on?

A small thing I noticed, was that I was able to walk up the airfield hangers, just, the sides of them, which shouldn't be possible, I think.

The difficulty baffles me, I was playing on easy, and I died probably 50+ times getting to Muro, (which is where I got stuck, fighting the tanker, which I tried probably 30 times, before giving up.), the timing on some of the weapons seems geared towards life making awful for the player, the plasma rifle in particular, I would get shot, fall down, stand up, start to move, and fall down right away from another shot, that would hit me 70%+ of the time.

The inventory was cool, but I didn't seem to find any ammo clips, or almost anything. I also wished I could scroll around the inventory with the mouse, it was strange only being able to use the keys, but use the mouse to use things.

I also wasn't fully sure how the HUD worked, there were 2 health display meters, and I don't know what what one did.

I feel like the enemies were a lot tougher, leading to a lot more time grind on the combat, which feels like a step back to Oni's perfect balance of the length of each fight, especially with multiple enemies, it feels like it takes too long to punch anyone down.

Unlike Oni, the KP engine doesn't render walls invisible when he camera is close to them, not sure if that was intentional or not.

The jumping felt even more difficult platforming wise than the original Oni, probably do to the lack of control when jumping.

When he dialog box is up, you cannot pause via escape.

That's all I can remember offhand, in general, it's quite amazing to play, but I thought I would pass along my feedback. smile

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#27 12/07/10 05:12

Pierre

Thanks for the feedback smile

>Though, It is not to say without fault, it felt like the hit detection was not as good as Oni's, I often went to punch
>someone only to punch right past them, and they weren't even moving.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, unfortunately. The hit detection boxes are fairly accurate, maybe more than they should be for that kind of game. If you punch somebody and the hit is not detected, it means you actually missed smile I think Oni may have used artificially bigger bounding volumes to register hits even when there weren't any. A lot of games do that to make the gameplay better.

>A small thing I noticed, was that I was able to walk up the airfield hangers, just, the sides of them,
>which shouldn't be possible, I think.

It is possible, yes. I didn't feel it was a "bad" thing, so I didn't put invisible collision walls around those.

>The difficulty baffles me

Yeah, I definitely need to work on that. For me the game is now "too easy" after all this time, but for newcomers it seems very difficult.

>I was playing on easy, and I died probably 50+ times getting to Muro, (which is where I got stuck, fighting the tanker,
>which I tried probably 30 times, before giving up.),

Thanks, this is useful feedback. I will increase the time limit in easy / normal mode.

>the timing on some of the weapons seems geared towards life making awful for the player, the plasma rifle in particular,

The firerate for weapons is the same as in Oni, as far as I know....

>I would get shot, fall down, stand up, start to move, and fall down right away from another shot, that would hit me 70%+
>of the time.

Time to learn escape moves? That's the first help message you get from Shinatama when accessing the help system smile

>The inventory was cool, but I didn't seem to find any ammo clips, or almost anything.

Yes, there aren't many items yet in the level. Still, you should be able to find:
- a hypo in the "Depot 03"
- a hypo and a shield in the "corridors"
- several hypos in "Depot 02" (Muro challenge)
- a hypo, an energy cell and ammo in the "lockers room" (which you probably didn't reach yet)
- a phase cloak ... hmmm, "somewhere" smile

And maybe some more I forgot.

>I also wished I could scroll around the inventory with the mouse,

You can, with the mouse wheel. You don't need the keys at all to navigate the inventory. Unless you don't have a mouse wheel, that is.

>I also wasn't fully sure how the HUD worked, there were 2 health display meters, and I don't know what what one did.

The right one in the energy/life, the left one is currently unused - see previous posts, I think we mentioned that before.

>I feel like the enemies were a lot tougher, leading to a lot more time grind on the combat, which feels like a step back to
>Oni's perfect balance of the length of each fight, especially with multiple enemies, it feels like it takes too long to punch
>anyone down.

Even in Easy ? Should be pretty quick to defeat an enemy in Easy....

>Unlike Oni, the KP engine doesn't render walls invisible when he camera is close to them, not sure
>if that was intentional or not.

Yes, intentional. Long story here smile

>The jumping felt even more difficult platforming wise than the original Oni, probably
>do to the lack of control when jumping.

True. Also something that needs ironing out and improving. I think I'll tackle this when I add some "real" platforming parts. Right now there's no real platforming bits.

>When he dialog box is up, you cannot pause via escape.

Noted.

Thanks!

#28 12/07/10 13:12

Gumby

>It is possible, yes. I didn't feel it was a "bad" thing, so I didn't put invisible collision walls around those.
He means that it looks very buggy because the hangar walls are steep.

>The firerate for weapons is the same as in Oni, as far as I know....

But in Oni, the plasma rifle doesn't knock you down.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#29 12/09/10 17:12

Mukade

I think the edited version in the last AE does if you jump and are hit by it wink

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#30 02/04/11 18:02

Lithium

Yes i downloaded the latest version of this, and it starts up fine, i'm able to select a character and all, but if i try to go past the prologue some pop up loading windows appear for a split second and eventually the game freezes

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#31 02/04/11 20:02

GaldrofHerons

I would seriously try this if I could get past, y'know, the basic pre-installation? (I'm blaming myself, by the way) It seems very nice, and I'll work on some more basic computer knowledge. x.x
~Galdr

I feel as though I am eating a sandwich.

#32 02/27/11 07:02

doctordulit

I think i just fell in love... I think this is one of the reasons i did not deleted ONI from my PC big_smile

I have ice,and I can use it!!
Now I dont have ice,but I still can use it!!
Now I have ice,but i forgot how I can use it...xD

#33 07/17/14 18:07

MysTryUssX

I cant download it anymore!

Is there aan otherway to get to konoko payne?

cheers

#34 07/17/14 18:07

Iritscen

Unfortunately Pierre has discontinued development on KP.  Most people probably are not aware of this, but a few months ago he decided that he just didn't have the time and interest level for it anymore.  Then, last month, his blog was shut down due to traffic going to the KP download, so he removed it: http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=1125.  I'll ask Pierre if we can host the last KP release somewhere else.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#35 07/18/14 06:07

Iritscen

Well, it's Pierre's project, so we need to ask him how he wants to make it available.  I've put in an email to him, so we'll probably hear from him soon.

#36 07/29/14 18:07

Iritscen

Okay, Pierre gave me permission to post Konoko Payne on the Depot for everyone.  First, though, um... does anyone have the download?  If necessary, I can go back to Pierre and ask for it, but I'd rather not bother him since his lack of time is the reason he isn't doing this anymore.  I have a copy of the files which has been uncompressed and run, so I can probably delete its first-run cache, re-zip it, and use that, but if someone has the pristine .rar, it would be appreciated.

#37 07/29/14 18:07

Samer
Website

Do you know how much the size of the file is Iritscen ? I might have it on my old computer ... but It's a hassle to get and if the size of the file is big I won't be able to upload it anyway.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#38 07/29/14 18:07

Iritscen

It's maybe 50-100MB, since my uncompressed copy is 103MB with the cache files.  But the RAR is probably a bit too much for you to upload, as you said.

#39 07/29/14 18:07

Samer
Website

I'll see what I can do. But if someone else has it it will be faster.

#40 07/30/14 06:07

Samer
Website

Turned out I didn't have it after all, I forgot that I had to format my old PC some time ago sad sorry.

#41 07/31/14 08:07

Iritscen

Okay, I've gotten the original file from Pierre.  See first post for new download link.

Board footer