#1 07/15/14 10:07

DC

Is there any tutorials on throws?

I was wondering, is there any tutorials on throws? I just can't find one

#2 07/15/14 12:07

Delano762
Website

Re: Is there any tutorials on throws?

What do you want to do with throws? Make one, edit an existing one?

Either way you're messing with animations.
In short: The animations in Oni are stored in TRAM files. Every character (ONCC?) has a list of TRAMs that he can use, stored in TRAC files.
Also, the TRAMs in Oni are very nicely and conveniently, ummm... sorted and named. And documented over here.

If you have no experience in modding Oni's animations, then I recommend starting from editing the TRACs - swap some moves from one TRAC to another. Once you get the idea of how they work, try editing TRAMs - particles, damage stats. If you want edit the animation itself or make a new one - then read this. However - this method of making animations (moving body parts manually) is highly ineffective and time consuming. Paradox was and probably is working on rigging in XSI, however I haven't had the time to get back to modding Oni and checking this thing out.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#3 07/15/14 15:07

paradox-01

"Paradox was and probably is working on rigging in XSI"

*cough* I had to give it up. With my new schedules I can't do that kind of intense 'research' anymore.
Cost vs. benefit are just too unequal. With reduced free time I want to explore Oni paths that are more 'rewarding'. Sorry. smile

Last edited by paradox-01 (07/15/14 16:07)

#4 07/15/14 15:07

Samer
Website

actually I also want a tutorial on throws...
so far I've only modified existing ones, not sure how to make ones from scratch.
paradox didn't you have a macro that is supposed to make throws easier ? **EDIT : yeah here it is http://wiki.oni2.net/XML:TRAM#fw_throws

but the whole "you should rotate the tgt" thing still confuses me.
when I load the animations of the thrower and of the target they just look far away from each other .. not rotated... so why do we need to rotate them ? an then when saving the throw do we need to rotate them back ?

Last edited by Samer (07/15/14 16:07)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#5 07/15/14 16:07

paradox-01

The last time I tried to use the macro, it crashed and I don't know why. So I either have to fix it somehow or even better turn it into a Mod Tool script and fix it on that way. But you know ... time.

If you want we can discuss that "making throws" thing in a new/old thread. Or will this be okay?

"when I load the animations of the thrower and of the target they just look far away from each other .. not rotated."
Maybe you post a screenshot and/or upload some files so I know what you are facing. I just want to be sure we have the same setup before we begin with the actual discussion.

#6 07/15/14 16:07

Samer
Website

ok sure .. this will probably be better discussed under modifications, I can't currently upload the screenshots or files, (on phone browser \ power cut), I'll make a new thread or post under the previous animations thread when I can. thanks in advance paradox, and I hope you get more free time soon your Mod Tool scripts have been incredibly useful so far.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#7 07/15/14 16:07

paradox-01

"I hope you get more free time soon"
Haha yes, me too, but that will not happen. big_smile

I'm doing a "dual apprenticeship" (job + school). Media designer in digital and print. So when finished I will just continue to work on a full time basis. (There's nothing romantic about this job. Lot's of routine. wink )
The only good thing about this is that we will get a 3d modeling / animating subject in the second/third year which might help me in creating Oni mods in a faster way.

Board footer