Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/13/14 03:07

Gang_Starr

Storyline mods

I was surprised to see no storyline mods for this game, Oni is one of the best games you can find, but after completing it over 20 times even a great game can become a little boring. Sure weapon mods and new characters are great but you'd still be playing the same game, I just want to know why no mod makers have created a full overhaul of the game and made new levels with a completely new storyline.
I saw a thread that's a couple of weeks old about fans creating a "Oni 2" and there was a discussion about T2 owning the rights to the game. Well why not make an "unofficial" Oni 2? For example for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series there are hundreds of fan-made storyline mods that completely remake a brand new game, why can't Oni fans/modders make such mods? There would be no need for acquiring the rights to Oni from Take-2 since this would be a non-profit fan made game.

Uhhh, roger that!

#2 07/13/14 03:07

Samer
Website

Re: Storyline mods

I just want to know why no mod makers have created a full overhaul of the game and made new levels with a completely new storyline.

there already is, check the new levels category in the AE installer:

Old China Level Mod by Edt and s10k  (play as a ninja training to become a master ninja in Old China) link
Wilderness Preserve Level by myself  (complete story following konoko's parents in their adventure in the wilderness preserve) link

both of these mods have a story separate from the main game ... and you play as other characters than Konoko.

However making new levels is hard work and very time consuming, not to mention that not many users would want to have all the game changed completely, and it's not simple to find a worthy story that extends over all levels, so replacing all the levels with new ones and a new story is not that feasible, but we do add new levels with their own story line sometimes (As mentioned above), and there are several script modes that change the story or add to it using the existing levels example my SMP-Conversion and other mods under scripts category.

Last edited by Samer (07/13/14 04:07)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#3 07/13/14 08:07

Iritscen

Part of the issue is that we didn't have the ability to properly import levels until 2010 at the earliest, since we've had to make our own tools for everything.  By that time, there weren't a lot of active fans left in the community.  And Oni has never been as big as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, which have sold millions of copies, whereas, if VGChartz is accurate, Oni has sold half a million.  Anyway, I'm doubtful that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has "hundreds" of full conversion mods; probably there's a lot of scripting mods.  As Samer pointed out, we have a few of those too.

It's true that there's not been any actual attempts to make an Oni 2 as a mod.  I'm not entirely sure why that is, except that it would require a ton of ambition, and also the fans who spent the most time fantasizing and writing about Oni 2 were active before we had the ability to fully mod Oni.  So they made their "Oni 2"s as graphic novels, artwork, and game books.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 07/14/14 17:07

Delano762
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Anyway, I'm doubtful that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has "hundreds" of full conversion mods; probably there's a lot of scripting mods.

That depends on your definition of "full conversion mod" (let's call it FCM for short).

If FCM is a mod that replaces all the content from the base game with its own, like, dunno, Renegade X or one of those BF2 mods, then STALKER has none at all.

However, STALKER features a couple of mods (Misery, Oblivion Mod, Arsenal) that add a lot of their own stuff and/or completely rehaul the game, while still relying on the vanilla content.

Btw, those VGChartz stats seem kinda fishy.

Last edited by Delano762 (07/14/14 17:07)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#5 07/14/14 17:07

Iritscen

It does sound like there's a lot of guesswork involved in some of the VGChartz numbers.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer