Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 03/24/14 10:03

hunubul

Steam greenlight?

Hi!
I don't know, if it's possible, but it would be great to see Oni on Steam. The anniversary edition, the mods, and flatline could be updated instantly, and also there would be no difference in each others version. So it would be easier to finish multiplayer (I think...). Even with this IP connection system Steam would make playing multiplayer easier. I tried to play with friends many times, but compatibility issues and minor differences in game versions make it hard to play.
I don't know, who would choose the mods in the Steam version, but I will go with that persons choices.

Also I would buy the game again, and again! I don't know, who has the right to put the game on greenlight, but the idea was worth mentioning.
I think in a month or so the required votes would be collected.

I hope I will be able to play my favourite game with other people soon! Good luck making new stuff! I look forward to every Oni related (good) news! See ya guise!

#2 03/24/14 11:03

Vadell Gabriel

Re: Steam greenlight?

Take Two/Rockstar currently holds the rights. But from what I've seen on the forums, It seems TT has pretty much forgotten about the Oni IP, so it's not likely it'll be revived on steam. It's a nice idea, though.

And I'm not fully clear on how Valve does their stuff, but isn't it still technically illegal to mod games through Steam?

#3 03/24/14 13:03

Iritscen

It's an interesting suggestion.  As Vadell Gabriel pointed out, it won't be possible to get Oni itself on Steam because the Oni IP is sitting in a dusty vault (figuratively) at Take Two.

As far as the AE goes, the only experience I have with mods on Steam is Neo-Tokyo, which is a total conversion.  I'm not sure how a mod would work through Steam when it needs to modify an original game which is not in Steam.  It's not just a logistical issue but also a legal one, because some of our mods use small amounts of Oni's game data.  Also, the AE is really not a thing, but a framework of things, each of which gets updated individually by various creators.  Basically we already have our own delta-based update system like Steam's, and I don't know how it would get along with Steam.

As far as multiplayer, I think it will encounter the same issue as the AE, which is that I don't think you can arrange to play a game not in Steam with a Steam buddy... can you?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 03/24/14 13:03

Vadell Gabriel

I think it would be a good idea to ask someone who's done game mods though Steam to see if using AE would be  possible. Also, and don't quote me 100%, but without a built in MP feature there's no chance of it happening through  the Steam client.

Last edited by Vadell Gabriel (03/24/14 13:03)

#5 03/24/14 15:03

Iritscen

The other issue is that with the AE, you don't have to download any mods that you don't want to (besides the small core mods), and I don't think Steam supports that elective kind of system.  The Steam approach would be to make the user download all the mods as a wad of data before they could play the game.  You may be able to play some Steam games before they're done downloading, but that probably won't work for the AE because we have our own installation process which is much more complex than "download game files, place on HD".  Plus, we're planning to improve the way our updates work so that they are more bandwidth-efficient and easier for modders to update.  Steam would be going in the other direction.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer