Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/23/14 18:02

bianca222

Questions about Oni and the storyline

Hello, everyone. smile I have several questions about Oni that I have always wondered about and I would be happy if anyone could answer them big_smile

Why did the LSI tracker start working in level 14 yet didn't after level 5 and how did the Syndicate not realize that a tracker was on their plane for all that time?

I was really confused about the datapad Chung left behind. It was a set up from the Syndicated but it doesn't seem likely that the Syndicate would want the warehouse manager alive since a Striker was trying to kill him? 

In level 4 Airport Assault, the commercial airplanes have V-tails. Why would they use V-tails (especially for a commercial airplane) because they make the airplane constantly veer during flight and they are very prone to crashes?

How did Konoko get on the roof in level 13?

Also, I've wondered why did the receptionist in level 2 said "Please have a seat" when there were no seats around? tongue

Sorry for my English

#2 02/23/14 20:02

Iritscen

Re: Questions about Oni and the storyline

Haha, wow, I love these questions.  I've been involved in discussions on all but one of these topics, so here's my two cents:

Why did the LSI tracker start working in level 14 yet didn't after level 5 and how did the Syndicate not realize that a tracker was on their plane for all that time?

Well, if you look at the Chapter 5 completion screen, it seems to be telling us that the Syndicate already found and disabled the LSI.  In Konoko's diary entry for Ch. 14, she says "The tracker readings from his plane project him touching down somewhere deep in the mountains."  So Konoko apparently hijacks a plane and flies around until she finds a base in the area that Muro was projected to be heading towards.  One can ask why Griffin didn't track Muro down the same way, but maybe he did; if you don't kill him, he does appear at the Compound too.  Why didn't he do so earlier?  Maybe he just didn't have time.  The game only takes place over about a week and a half.

I was really confused about the datapad Chung left behind. It was a set up from the Syndicated but it doesn't seem likely that the Syndicate would want the warehouse manager alive since a Striker was trying to kill him?

I speculated here that the message is actually from Chung.  It was left out by Muro as bait because he knew it would draw the TCTF's attention to Musashi Manufacturing (Ch. 2), while Muro raided Vago Biotech (Ch. 3).

In level 4 Airport Assault, the commercial airplanes have V-tails. Why would they use V-tails (especially for a commercial airplane) because they make the airplane constantly veer during flight and they are very prone to crashes?

Heh, I'm willing to bet no one at Bungie West knew that.  I didn't know it either!  Haven't heard this pointed out before.  Here's a question back at you: in the area where you walk out onto the tarmac where the planes are sitting, why is there a fence around the tarmac, with no opening or gate for the planes to leave through?!  Unfortunately with the game being finished hastily, oversights like this were bound to happen.

How did Konoko get on the roof in level 13?

Possibly her glider from the ACC level, though she avoids detection by the TCTF's surveillance network somehow.  There was an answer given to this by a certain mod I was planning, but I'm going to leave that a mystery for now, and in any case it's probably not the answer that BWest had in mind.

Also, I've wondered why did the receptionist in level 2 said "Please have a seat" when there were no seats around?

Obviously Bungie messed up here, but we joked once that the receptionist was being catty with Konoko by telling her to sit down when there are no seats.  Amusingly enough, if you load save point 1 of that level, there is a second chair, right next to the receptionist's.  Little scripting error there.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 02/23/14 23:02

bianca222

Thank you so much smile Very interesting explanations

It would make sense why the Syndicate would not want the TCTF to know their location to buy them more time. I find it so odd though how the Syndicate didn’t want the TCTF to track them during level 5 yet they made the tracker work in level 14. If I was Muro then I would want the tracker off the plane all the time (especially when going to the mountain compound) when Sturmanderung was near to its completion. If the tracker never picked up any readings (like how the Syndicate did it in level 5) then Muro most likely would have won. 
And I always thought that maybe Griffin was contemplating about what he should do the whole time level 14 and decided to help at the last minute tongue

It also makes a lot more sense now knowing that Chung wrote it. I always thought that the Syndicate wrote it themselves to deliberately mislead Konoko. It was probably a coincidence that Chung mentioned Mushashi Manufacturing which happened to be the decoy they wanted Konoko to believe. That’s probably why they didn’t discard the datapad but kept it in the open so Konoko would find it. 

Yeah, I thought it was odd because I never saw a commercial airplane have a V-tail since it increases likelihood of crashes. Only military aircraft have V-tails because the only benefit to it is that it helps the plane maneuver faster. I also never thought about how the planes don’t have enough room to depart or land especially with that fence in the way. Vansam must be the worst airport tongue

That’s interesting about the glider smile I also wonder how she stayed out of the TCTF’s surveillance when she was naked after taking the acid bath in level 12. tongue

I never realized the second chair there before but I normally started from the cutscene just so I can kill her. She is the civilian I dislike the most  lol

#4 02/24/14 09:02

Iritscen

bianca222 wrote:

It would make sense why the Syndicate would not want the TCTF to know their location to buy them more time. I find it so odd though how the Syndicate didn’t want the TCTF to track them during level 5 yet they made the tracker work in level 14.

Well, I think the key word in Konoko's diary is "projected".  This indicates that before the tracker from Ch. 5 shut off, it gave them enough information that they saw him headed towards the mountains.  So it's not that the tracker comes back on later, but that Konoko says to herself, "I need to find him, so I'm going to fly around until I do."  And maybe Griffin does the same.

An alternate explanation: Konoko's Chrysalis helps her find Muro where Griffin couldn't.  But Griffin follows Konoko to the compound, allowing him to show up at a convenient time to help.

It also makes a lot more sense now knowing that Chung wrote it. I always thought that the Syndicate wrote it themselves to deliberately mislead Konoko. It was probably a coincidence that Chung mentioned Mushashi Manufacturing which happened to be the decoy they wanted Konoko to believe.

When you think about it, it may not have been a coincidence; Muro may have simply read the pad and thought, "Hmm, if the TCTF finds this, it will lead them to Musashi, which means we'll lose them as a Syndicate facility... but, I don't need them anymore, and this will give me time to raid Vago."  One could guess that whatever is going on at Musashi is not of great value to Muro.  Perhaps he doesn't care about Deadly Brains as much as he cared about that gene-altering equipment at Vago.  Since the equipment was probably intended for implanting Chrysalises, and Muro is just about ready to start the final phase of Sturmanderung, weapons like the DB probably aren't needed anymore.

I also never thought about how the planes don’t have enough room to depart or land especially with that fence in the way. Vansam must be the worst airport tongue

Yep roll Also, the developers later said that they hadn't planned to allow the player to go outside until late in development when they realized that it would make the level more interesting.  So I think they initially made the tarmac area to only be seen from windows in the airport, in which case no one would have noticed that the planes can't go anywhere.

That’s interesting about the glider smile I also wonder how she stayed out of the TCTF’s surveillance when she was naked after taking the acid bath in level 12. tongue

Yes, the story seems to skip a beat there.  But if you pay attention to Konoko's outfits, you'll notice that she's wearing different pants in the levels after the acid bath which we've never seen before.  The black jacket in the last two levels is the same as the one she wore in Regional State and Rooftops, but she was wearing the tan jacket when she jumped into the acid.  This implies that she might have a little base of operations somewhere, where she keeps things like her bike, glider, and spare clothes.  The concept of such a "safe house" was used with Motoko in Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, which, despite being based on the movie that was the inspiration for Oni, came out years after Oni did.

I never realized the second chair there before but I normally started from the cutscene just so I can kill her. She is the civilian I dislike the most  lol

Yep, she is probably Oni's most-killed civilian  smile

#5 02/24/14 11:02

bianca222

Thanks. big_smile The story is more clear to me now big_smile

I always felt like the tracking location Konoko talked about in the diary were new tracker readings. It makes me wonder why didn't Konoko try to stop Muro first (the biggest threat) and Griffin later. If she would have found out about Sturmanderung sooner then the world could have been saved. yikes

You are very right. Since Chung was a mole he found out where the contraband was heading and had to mention to the TCTF and Muro decided to keep it out in the open just to trick Konoko. I got a feeling that Muro didn't really care about Deadly Brains but was just using it to buy himself time while he was obtaining research at Vago.

I never knew that the airport level was designed to be only indoors. I noticed that lots of things were changed in pre-beta like how it was originally nighttime when Konoko went to Vago biotech. I wish they didn't change that. Vago looked so much more prettier at night with that glow.

I wonder how Konoko got pizza in her safehouse too since she was a terrorist tongue

I am so sorry if a lot of questions are pure speculation but I find the explanations really interesting  tongue

#6 02/24/14 16:02

Iritscen

Yes, Vago looked nicer at night.  Not sure why they changed that, except maybe because they developed the final story late in the process, and didn't know at the beginning that Ch. 2 was going to be a daytime level and would take place right before Ch. 3.

Heh, I didn't think about the pizza.  I'm going to say that she had frozen pizza stocked in her fridge wink  Of course if she has a safe house, you would expect that when she goes rogue, the TCTF would be watching it to see if she goes there (which is what happens with Motoko).  But then we can just say that she transferred her stuff elsewhere immediately after going rogue, or she never went to her safe house but still had some money to buy things with while she was in hiding.

Board footer