Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#901 02/07/14 17:02

EdT
Website

Re: Movies

Loser: Your mod looks great, I like how Jamie is able to imitate James' movement.  Though, we need to make the texture for the boulders two-sided, so you can't look through them smile

#902 02/08/14 19:02

Loser

Ltemplar:
My gamedesign attempts in general follow the rule "make it in such a way it does not insult player's intelligence, however hardcore realism is not required."
With that in mind:

1. Keylogging device can be set on both consoles in that area - player must be given a freedom of choice to use the keylogger mechanics on both consoles. Even though in reality James would most probably carry only one or two such devices, ingame it would be kinda limiting. Well, unless it is scripted in such a way that player has an option to unplug the keylogging device after use and take it back to be reused again on some other console.
    That would kind fo make sense while keeping the freedom of choice.

2. Guards exhibit diferent behavior on each alarm stage, however in video material I am not showing alarm stages because code RED patrols sometimes cause crash and I was not able to track the reason behind it.
    Alarm stage 0 (no alarm) means AI chars peacefuly patrol their areas.
    Alarm stage 1 (ORANGE CODE, alarm rised for the first time) means AI keeps patroling their areas, but they draw guns and also they start randomly performing blind melee attacks, making it a bit more difficult to move around undetected.
    Alarm stage 2 (RED CODE, alarm rised for the second time) means AI chars rally on strategic points and start semi-randomly firing their weapons around. And of course they keep doing blind melee attacks.

a) "Game balance" > "Realism". In real life, James and Jamie would be arrested even before they would start executing their plans to visit the Wildreness preserve, because each and every piece of technology public uses would be of course wiretapped by year 2032 counterpart of today's N.S.A. So yes, guards do use alarms consoles. Unrealistic, but not insulting the player's IQ (threat of alarm being raised and nasty consequences of that) and more entertaining to battle against than if each guard who sees protagonists called extra reinforcements, jammed conosoles, put on thermovison and radioed inside the Wilderness to lock each and every door and temporarily shut down the power to the main gate.

3. Password is not guessed blindly, password is obtained quite the way field hackers do it. In field there is not time to sift through data memory storage, searching for password which will be most probably hashed+salted. Not even talking about very high probability of online authentication via some strongly encrypted tunnel, meaning the password would not even be stored on the data console.
    Better is to make insiders let you into the system. And that's what James does. He installs a small physical keylogging device on the console. The device is set to create an invisible (to the naked eye) thin electromagnetic 2D matrix in a close proximity of the console keyboard surface. When somebody (for example the guard) uses the keyboard, device logs the sequence of matrix cells which have their elmag field disturbed by user's fingers.
    And the other way to get the password is to beat a guard to a pulp and read it from his note. This is a pure gaming gimmick for player who don't give a darn about some stealth. They kill a guard and learn the password. It's not THAT easy, as other guards come to check the warning about intruders.

4. Adco interaction script can be used for 100+1 applications, agreed ^_^.

5. My apologies, but functionality requeested in your point 5 is not accessibe in Oni, as far as I recall.

EdT:
That would not have any impact on the playstyle, as I can peek from the side of the boulder anyway. Used the look-through to give watchers glimpse of what is happening behind the scene ^_^

Last edited by Loser (02/08/14 19:02)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#903 02/08/14 19:02

Iritscen

In real life, sometimes you don't even have to hack to learn a password, you can just watch TV!

By the way, ltemplar, this is not the place for in-depth mod discussion, as I should have said earlier.  There is already a thread for this mod where you could have given your feedback.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#904 11/20/14 18:11

Loser

Here is an interesting video from a YouTube user called "LastTrainStudio":
WATCH HERE

It is nice to see how even in 2014 there are people who can acclaim Oni for its AI (and it looks like that guy saw only the vanilla Oni AI on top of that!) and for its immersive game world. ^_^

Last edited by Loser (11/20/14 18:11)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#905 11/20/14 19:11

Iritscen

Thanks for pointing that out.  It's always surprising to me when people remember Oni, but then I remind myself that the game was unique.  I still think about other games this old too, when they're unique.

#906 12/07/14 16:12

Noneatme
Website

QikpF4g.gif

WASTED

(Sound version):
watch?v=IAMCBC7TMnU

Greetings

#907 12/07/14 20:12

Lithium

rekt

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#908 12/29/14 06:12

Lithium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG-qqQjkknI

I attempted to do a Thug Vs The World run but I got screwed over by a mod right away, figure I'd make this for now though.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#909 05/01/17 08:05

Delano762
Website

Hey fellas,
After 5 years or something, I've made a new move for you:
https://youtu.be/tPJE_aCyrbE

Of course, this still needs some serious tweaking (not to mention this is the second move in a triple combo which I'm making), but if you want to use this immediately, just say so and I'll release the package.

If somebody is wondering what reference did I use:
https://youtu.be/iiiznDpoapQ?t=3m11s

And thanks for the debug command, Paradox smile

Last edited by Delano762 (05/01/17 08:05)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#910 05/01/17 10:05

Iritscen

Hey, that's cool, I like it.  Since you mention that you're still tweaking it, keep in mind that Oni's animation style uses a certain amount of exaggeration, so don't be afraid to push things a little further than what an ordinary human could do.

#911 05/01/17 10:05

Delano762
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Hey, that's cool, I like it.  Since you mention that you're still tweaking it, keep in mind that Oni's animation style uses a certain amount of exaggeration, so don't be afraid to push things a little further than what an ordinary human could do.

That's precisely one of my main problems: the animations played in XSI look way more vivid than in Oni. Would you mind defining that exaggeration?

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#912 05/01/17 11:05

Iritscen

Unfortunately I haven't done any animation work, so you're already ahead of me.  I would just suggest stepping through some of Konoko's other animations.  Frame advance through her running punch, for instance, and ask yourself, Why does it look so cool?  That being said, your animation looks good and could already fit in with some of Konoko's moves.

#913 05/01/17 13:05

s10k
Website

Looks cool. wink

#914 05/01/17 17:05

EdT
Website

Nice job!  Now make some more! big_smile

#915 08/12/17 13:08

s10k
Website

Hey guys just to say that I have been recording some oni related videos lately and I have learn some cool things. smile

First, I have been using OBS Studio for both desktop and ingame recording and works great. It is opensource, cross platform and people have already written about it in the wiki.

Now for video editing I had some troubles, I used to use Windows Movie Maker which was very easy to use and just worked but seems Microsoft stopped supporting it at the point they removed all download links to it. So I searched for alternatives and I searched... After trying a lot of programs I found one that is amazing!

Shotcut

It is very complete and seems that it does all that Windows Movie Maker did. Plus it is opensource and cross platform so Mac users can use it too! smile

I use it mainly to cut audio and video and joining them together but it has a lot of more features, check its website for more information.

I just thought that you should know about these two amazing programs in the case you someday need to record or edit videos for oni.

#916 08/12/17 20:08

Iritscen

That's interesting, thanks.  Macs come with iMovie built in, but I don't know how Shotcut compares to it.  We should probably have a section in our gameplay capture article about editing software, since that is a typical need for anyone recording game footage.

#917 12/19/17 20:12

Erik

I'm a professional video maker and some great software is "Davinci Resolve". It used to be a color grading program for €1000,-+  but now they made a lite version that is free! It's great, very complete and has a very easy to use editing feature. It's also perfect do learn a bit with color grading if you're interested in that;)

#918 12/19/17 21:12

Iritscen

Interesting, I used to play around with video editing years ago, so I'm surprised I never heard of it.  It's even available for Macs and Linux!  Looks like the free version is called "DaVinci Resolve" and the paid version is "DaVinci Resolve Studio": https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc … ciresolve/

Board footer