Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/19/14 03:01

Samer
Website

NEW LEVEL : Chapter 17: Wilderness Preserve - Hasegawa Adventure.

This package adds a new level : Chapter 17 - Wilderness Preserve - Hasegawa Adventure.

Description:
Join Konoko's parents, James and Jamie Hasegawa, in their adventure to expose the dirty secrets the government is hiding.
Experience first hand the story Konoko only read about.

Requirements
Make sure you have the latest version of Hasegawas (version 2.1) and of New Weapons Collection (version 2.0)any previous versions will lead to bugs and even crashes.

Features
* Different Gameplay Elements: Stealth, Fighting, Puzzles, Platforming and more !
* 3 different Difficulty modes: Easy - Normal and Hard.  Hard is recommended for Oni veterans.
* Play as James Hasegawa (whose custom move set is a bit similar to Muro's) with Jamie as a very useful partner that helps in fighting and overcoming obstacles.
* Featuring brand new enemies and utilizing the new weapons.
* Several cutscenes and references to dream lab tie this level to the main story and give it its own unique story as well.
* Custom soundtrack and music created specifically for this level thanks to Menger&Meeseter Soundtracks.
* Objective pages and Hints help you figure out what you're supposed to do.
* Many other surprises.

General Tips
* This level was first designed on Hard mode, and then 2 easier modes were made. So it's fully beatable on Hard. I recommend starting it on Hard and reducing the difficulty when you feel stuck. I've also made walkthrough videos for all the save points (playing on Hard) that you can use for help before reducing the difficulty.
* Read the Objective pages carefully and the hints.
* Search the environment thoroughly for hidden weapons and items, they can make all the difference.
* Save point 5 is the most challenging section of the level but it's beatable, so don't give up and take on the challenge !
* Get used to James's jump heights and distance they are different from Konoko's and from comguys'.
* Don't underestimate James's moveset, he has some of Muro's moves so he's not your average comguy\cop.
* Get familiar with the new weapons used in the level, each weapon has its own diary page so you can read more about it.
* Take your time to think and hone your skill to overcome the puzzles and obstacles, if you just want a beat-em up and a level that you'll easily finish in 1 session then this level isn't for you. You'll need more than the old tricks of running jump flip and sliding under lasers.
* Normal and Hard mode have an extra surprise at the end that easy mode doesn't.
* There are 3 easter eggs, one in the intro (visual) the second is at savepoint 1 (bonus interaction), the third is a well hidden secret that only jamie can get. the hint to get the third secret is : "Such a beautiful view from up here, such a shame only Jamie can see it".
* If you have RAYMAN package installed the bonus secret will be more worthy.
* Don't cheat, it takes away the fun and challenging aspect of it.

Credits
-EdT: He made the level's basic geometry and BNVs for me and was extremely patient in troubleshooting any geometry bugs that appeared. In addition to Mac conversion, testing, feedback, and various help, motivation and support. Couldn't have done it without you Ed.
-Ltemplar: Made the trees, brushes and rocks objects that brought this level to life.
-Menger & Meester (Terry and Thomas): Created the 3 awesome soundtracks! (Forest, Ominous Forest, Sad Flashback). I'm very grateful to these very talented guys.
-Bozzman: I used and modified some of his previous texture work of consoles, doors, crates and furniture for better quality looking textures.
-DarkLitria: I used her James and Jamie artwork to create their avatars.
-Paradox-01: His Mod Tool Addon and tutorials made modding this level easier ... adding TVs, corpses, animated objects and cameras.
-s10k: Final testing and feedback.

Free sources used in the level:
-last.fm: The music track used in final area - "DarkTimes Ahead" by Fledglyng.
-naturesoundsfor.me: Ambient sounds - forest, cave, and desert sound effects.
-redsorceress.com: Emerald Fog SkyBox.
-cgtextures.com: Various nature textures.

Walkthrough Videos If you get stuck or If you just want to check the full level without playing.
All are done on Hard mode except SavePoint5 which is done on both Hard and Easy.
Save Point 0 - Intro
Save Point 1 - Sneaking In
Save Point 2 - We're In !
Save Point 3 - The Pit
Save Point 4 - Into The Cave
Save Point 5 - The Vat done on Hard and Easy
Save Point 6 - Surprise!
Save Point 7 and 8 - Lasers
Save Point 9 - Spooky Forest
Save Point 9 - Outro

Save Point ? - Bonus Secret

Oni+2014-01-19+10-46-11-39_cr.jpg
reserve+collage.jpg
Oni+2014-01-20+12-42-20-38.jpg

Download package 82500 Wilderness Preserve and its dependencies through the AEinstaller.

In the end a lot of heart, time and effort were put into this mod, so I hope you enjoy it, or at least try it.

Last edited by Samer (01/27/14 22:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 01/19/14 06:01

s10k
Website

Re: NEW LEVEL : Chapter 17: Wilderness Preserve - Hasegawa Adventure.

Superb level Samer and EdT!

This was really great step further in oni level modding. Personally I thought it would take a while until Old China level would be surpassed in the overall aspects but I'm happy that I was wrong! Without any doubt this is the most complete level to the date (it included objectives, doors, great cinematics, avatars, screens, corpses). The level show itself that there was a lot of work put in there: story, cinematics, enemies, music, level design, characters, powerups placement. Everything. It seems it was all very well planned since the first step. Loved also the surprises over the whole level (will not spoiler them here). Liked how you displayed the credits. I also liked how you made it hard so even "veterans" players will find it challenging! This is very important since even if the level is great, if it is too easy it will be boring for who is "veteran".

Loved your work in the cutscenes and connecting them with the dream lab level. The last cutscene had also a perfect emotional connection. Perfect!

This is really very impressive Samer, EdT said me that you have got almost all the work in the level (he did the environment creation) and this is really impressive to someone alone and with various powercuts along each day.

Let me also to thank the other involved people including Ltemplar, Menger & Meester, Bozzman, DarkLitria and paradox-01.

I would love to see more leveling work from you and the community with this kind of quality. I think that the BGI level is much closer to us now.

Guys if you are reading this run and install this level. This' a beautiful piece of work! And a great added value to the original Oni story. smile

#3 01/19/14 07:01

Konoko123

This looks awesome! I can't wait to play it. Thank you for making it!!! smile

#4 01/19/14 08:01

Samer
Website

Thanks a lot s10k for the nice words smile I appreciate it. Your work with Edt on Old China was very inspiring and I learned a lot about bsl from your work and thank you for the final testing and feedback.
Konoko123 you're welcome ^_^ hope you enjoy it.

#5 01/19/14 09:01

ltemplar

Interesting level to play.

All parts of the level are : interesting , different , and well planed (not only on the geometry ,or enemies level , but also where power-ups and surprises are).
I also enjoyed thous "revelations" that you put into the well known story , that can be a base for something in the actual (read oni) time line.
I really like the guard lasers, which where probably the most challenging and interestingly done (for me add last) parts of the level.
For the separate appreciation deserves insides of the guard buildings , especially that small laboratory complex, which are looking absolutely as they should.
I also like the how you designed the ways to enter buildings and areas, other than by main doors.(but this will be nice to have a chose here to - parkur challenge , or fight your way out - well maybe next time)
The guards and other enemies are also well designed (camouflage !!!!!!) , and theirs style bring good old memories.
The game-play part is also well balanced and can give enough challenge even for thous standing on the oni veteran level.

The downsides.

While the insides(cave, guard house) are stand on high level, the outsides are the opposite. The first thing that player can see is the over consuming emptiness. Thous few rocks that are placed on the beginning of the level are only natural things that fill this part. Where are the other objects (for example guard jeeps to patrol the area), small brushes, rocks etc? There is also some kind of indecisiveness put there. If the level is set on the desert(the beginning part),then what the trees are doing there(the inside part)?This is completely out of sens.
The "forest" part also is way to much empty to be called forest. While I will leave the "tree wall" subject for another occasion, i can't simply not mention abut , unrealistically looking "boxes" , that this wall create . It's look way unnatural for me.

In assumption.

The level is entertaining , have some parts , that are really well done (lasers , insides, enemies) , and few that can be corrected.
But overall this is nice level to play that is designed for thous that look for something more in oni than only fist fighting&gun blazing style, for with I thank you Samer & others for bringing it to live.

Last edited by ltemplar (01/19/14 09:01)

#6 01/19/14 09:01

Samer
Website

Ltemplar regarding the "downsides" we have fully discussed in details the limitations we have on the other thread, including the tree wall, the object limit and all that smile  so I don't understand why you keep bringing it up when it's already been addressed.
I think the whole point of a reserve is to preserve nature in a small area if all of it was green then it wouldn't need a preserve.

anyway thanks for the comment I'll take the positives ^_^, though I'm kinda shocked it only took you few hours\(minutes?) to fully evaluate months worth of work tongue I was hoping it would take more time to finish the level.
and thanks again for your contribution with the objects.

Edit: btw the laser part is my favorite too ^_^ it was fun planning it.

Last edited by Samer (01/19/14 10:01)

#7 01/19/14 10:01

ltemplar

Well..probably not all things where discovered by me (or maybe?), but the level is not so tough as you may think tongue. Regarding thous lasers ,and jumping over acid pool under heavy bombardment , the rest was... well not so hard (thanks to thous acid pools and ai stupidity regarding them). The cave part is easy (even to easy ) in my opinion.
But as mentioned earlier ,I like how you mix all thous things together. The only thing (in my opinion) that need more consideration , is (as mentioned in post above) the chose between , fighting your way out (aka. gun blazing&fist fighting), or by some challenge (parkour , stealth , etc). In here you chose this sort of things by player (with also is good way), but really interesting will be if the player will found other way by himself.
Other than that great job.

Regarding empties. Not to be an ass you know, but i give EdT few types of trees,  brushes and rocks (in different shapes & scales). I also mentioned him that if he need any other filler for level I willingly create it. So telling me about limitations(that i know by the way), or that something can't be done is well ..not so true.
What regards tree wall, i mentioned you erlier (and in the post above) that this "boxines" can be removed if you add some variations,(aka. smooth some parts , add other level in it etc, all using the textures you have now, not transparency to be correct)

Last edited by ltemplar (01/19/14 10:01)

#8 01/19/14 10:01

Knox

Great job, Samer! You've made an absolutely fun and amazing mod.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#9 01/19/14 10:01

Samer
Website

ltemplar wrote:

...but the level is not so tough as you may think tongue

probably not all things where discovered by me (or maybe?)

guess not smile or maybe you're just a very skilled player ^_^ \ or just watched the youtube videos

fighting your way out (aka. gun blazing&fist fighting), or by some challenge (parkour , stealth , etc).

after that ending\outro I don't feel more gameplay would have been appropriate, the story is fully told at that point so it ends where it's supposed to in my opinion.

ltemplar wrote:

Regarding empties. Not to be ass you know, but i give EdT few types of trees, and brushes. I also mentioned him that if he need any other filler for level I willingly create it. So telling me about limitations(that i know), or that something can't be done is well ..not so true.

not to keep repeating myself or imply that you don't know what you're talking about ... but it is ^_^ the limitation isn't in creating them the limitation is in how the engine can handle the additional polys. when I added more trees to the last section I experienced a lot of disappearing polygons on the ground same for the outside with rocks and bushes so nothing was done arbitrarily,all was a result of trial and error and then deciding what's best for the level I rather have a good story and good gameplay elements than it just looking good and sacrificing performance. In addition all the objects you gave us were used in some form in the level except the other colors of the trees, though I had to do some polygon reduction and re-texturing  on some.
Lastly comparing it to other Oni original levels, ex compound or rooftops I don't feel it's any more empty than they are.

Last edited by Samer (01/20/14 03:01)

#10 01/19/14 10:01

Samer
Website

thanks Knox big_smile enjoy.

Last edited by Samer (01/19/14 10:01)

#11 01/19/14 10:01

EdT
Website

Samer, Congratulations on publishing your Wilderness level! 

I really enjoyed how you brought the Hasegawa story to life.  The intro and outro cutscenes were amazing and well done.  This really raises the bar on level creation. 

I agree that the actual level design and development could be better.  This was my first attempt at making an environment from scratch.  I'm not an experienced 3D modeler, just someone playing around smile  It was hard making the level look organic, from making it with Sketchup and dealing with the limitations of the Oni engine.  But we learn from our experiences and mistakes.  I think it would be awesome if someday there can be a version 2 of this level, with the environment made be a 3D expert.

I hope everyone really appreciates the hard work that Samer put into this level.  You don't know how many challenges he had to overcome to make this level.  There were so many things he had to learn and do, making camera OBANs, writing and debugging the BSL, simply adding the corpses to the level was difficult.  Placing all the furniture and objects in the right place, dealing with particles, triggers, trigger volumes and so on.  ModTools crashing on him all the time, not being able to save scenes in it and power outages.

I too want to thank all the others that helped Samer make this level, it is great to see a community of modders come together to keep Oni alive.

Enjoy and have fun smile

#12 01/19/14 10:01

ltemplar

Ok. If you say so..
And unfortunately yes compared to original oni levels your's is not as "empty" as I described(well not exactly). So sorry.

BTW. when i mentioned about the choose I mean by that to have possibility to bypass guards other way than h2h & shooting, and not "when" the level ends part(the outro is well planed by the way) . But it's only my opinion (to much deus ex probably).

Samer wrote:

guess not smile or maybe you're just a very skilled player ^_^

Well....thanks. But I think it's not my skill that was the deciding factor here (it's the acid pool hehe tongue)

#13 01/19/14 11:01

ltemplar

Sorry for bubble post, but regarding the limitations I have one thing to ask you EdT

Why not too use the hide/unhide console command to appear/disappear problematic(uneeded at the moment) geometry?
That way you can have more objects in the cage, that actually game allows. The other thing can be a lod (with oni engine is also equipped with)

Thous things can be or ad last should be consider in next level design.

#14 01/19/14 11:01

Samer
Website

If you dont mind I rather that be discussed elsewhere example the pre-release thread or a new one. Also ltemplar I'd appreciate it if you proofread your posts a bit more so we understand what you mean the first time. But a quick answer is problematic polygons are the limit of those currently in view not the unneeded or unseen ones. So that wont make a difference. Further discussion should be elsewhere please because I like to keep this thread for post release feedback on gameplay or troubleshooting.

Ed smile I appreciate it. Thanks for your encouragement and support it kept me motivated.

Last edited by Samer (01/19/14 11:01)

#15 01/19/14 11:01

s10k
Website

ltemplar wrote:

Why not too use the hide/unhide console command to appear/disappear problematic(uneeded at the moment) geometry?
That way you can have more objects in the cage, that actually game allows. The other thing can be a lod (with oni engine is also equipped with)

These are good ideas. Trigger volumes could also be used for this.

#16 01/19/14 11:01

Samer
Website

Anyway those who are playing it now, I want to hear from you, which save point are you on currently ?
Did you find the easter eggs ?
Did you finish save point 5, on what difficulty ?
Did you fight the extra enemy at the end of hard / normal mode ?

Last edited by Samer (01/19/14 11:01)

#17 01/20/14 03:01

Samer
Website

Try it people or I'll unleash mutant jester and hammer on you >_<

#18 01/20/14 03:01

Samer
Website

Has anyone been able to download this package through the AEinstaller ? I'm trying to download it just to get rid of AE telling me there's a newer version on the depot. however everytime it finishes downloading it doesn't appear in the packages folder. it does reach 100%. but when done doesn't show the D_ status

Last edited by Samer (01/20/14 04:01)

#19 01/20/14 06:01

Loser

If I manage to find the Oni disc, I'll make a temporary exception from the "no Oni allowed" rule especially just for you, Samer.
So far, based on screenshots and text, this level looks like a huge hefty chunk of work and I think you deserve respect for invested time and effort.

Last edited by Loser (01/20/14 06:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#20 01/20/14 06:01

Samer
Website

Yay ! thanks Loser .. I do hope you find it and try it smile

#21 01/20/14 10:01

Knox

Found a glitch with the new laser rifle. Secondary fire sometimes ends up shooting me.

Oni fan since 2001.

#22 01/20/14 10:01

EdT
Website

Samer, I downloaded Wilderness Preserve through AEI and got the D_Status

#23 01/20/14 16:01

Samer
Website

@Knox ... do you have the latest version of new weapons ? I'm pretty sure I fixed that. I couldn't replicate the bug on my end. can you post more detialed description here http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=2549 ... like what character you were using and maybe a screenshot of the angel you were shooting from.

@Ed : I tried again and it finally worked, like usual it was my internet being stupid i guess.

Last edited by Samer (01/20/14 16:01)

#24 01/20/14 17:01

Knox

Still happening. Only seems to happen with larger characters. Doesn't work with Konoko or anyone with a similar body shape. But when I use James or someone similar and point the gun slightly above eye level, or I use a TCTF SWAT troop or Barabas, the projectile stops and hits the character's arm. Since I don't have a capture card, I can't film it. I'll post a screen shot in a bit.

Oni fan since 2001.

#25 01/20/14 18:01

Loser

Alright, finished on hard, found two easter eggs.
Big thanks to all participants in this project, be it Samer, Paradox, EdT and others. This level looks like it could be really solid one.

Let's go through the level savepoint by savepoint.
1st savepoint - TenchuTime

• Electricity is arcing through wall (-1100, 0, -1700). Turning the effect off (and all other effects as well) and making it appear only when player enters the area where the effect should be visible would not only solve this issue but also lessen the burden on the level redrawing.

• When protagonists enter invisibility, enemies temporarily lose the cloak. Or is it only buffer overflow, causing the blue shield effect to disappear?

• Enemy AI is kind of lacking. Are they dulled on purpose?

• Jamie does not copy player's movement mode. Looks kind of weird when player stealthily creeps with Jamie sprinting at full speed right behind player's back.

• Jamie can get stuck outside the preserve with player already inside and door locked. Broken situation, can be solved only by restarting the checkpoint.

2nd savepoint - Entering the wild

• Player can get stuck in boulders. Could be solved by a few bounding boxes.

• Blue lasers are not as deadly as player is told - enemies can pass them without problems.

• Enemies from the next area should not be ignorant. Looks weird to have soldiers just hanging around when there's shooting and brawling on the other side of the fence.

3rd savepoint - And boom goes the cave

• Again player is being able to phase into boulders (especially the big one to the left of the area entrance).

• Poodles of acid should either only damage (not instakill) or completely dissolve (chr_delete or chr_teleport) characters.

4th savepoint - Dangerous spelunking

• Nice atmosphere, very nice. Also some hidden goodies ^_^

• Mine explosions have quite strong knockback. Beware of possibility they could knock the player out of the map, if two or three of them add together.

5th savepoint - Bridge of hazardous doom

• There's a glitch possible with the secret in the area. After entering the area, immediately go get the secret. After getting the secret, let Jamie through caverns, defeat enemies and let the game save. Now each time the savepoint is reloaded, the secret will be spawned again, granting the player twice more secret than planned.

• Snipers visibly spawn in windows, which does not look very nice. Better is to spawn units occluded and then let them assume their visible positions in windows.

• Something is broken in the platforming section (maybe trigvolume positioning?) and because of "it" it happens very often that player obviously jumps from the crate but the game instakills the player as if the player fell down into the acid. Bonus points awarded when the corpse lands on the crate the player was trying to jump to. Because of this problem the area is really frustrating. Not difficult, not challenging, but frustrating.

6th savepoint - Dirty secrets

• Dangerous blue lasers once again don't harm enemies.

• Player can get stuck in between barrels in the underground laboratory.

• Nice encounter with the monster in the lab. That's the way how to introduce enemies ^_^

7th savepoint - Resident evil

• Awesome part ^_^

• Sometimes MercuryBows refuse to do their job. VanDeGraaf turrets are on the other side very eager to harass the player. That means when player crosses some laser, he is usually not killed on spot, but rather dragged stunned around for a good minute till some MercuryBow finally wakes up and ends the torture.

8th savepoint - Reunion

• Nice trick with female sliding animation, appreciated ^_^.

9th savepoint - Grande finale

• Nice idea to use environmental hazards, good job ^_^.

• If player disposes the smaller threat and ends up standing near the burning area, then in the cutscene the big threat enters and starts beating the player while player's input is blocked. Very unpleasant, especially when the player is already low on health. It can even happen the big threat manages to finish the player during the cutscene, before the player get chance to defend himself.

Overall my reception is positive. However, there is definitely a room for improvement in the gameplay design in my opinion. If you don't mind, I would like to borrow the level and redesign some gameplay elements. Can I, pretty please?

EDIT: Also, the grenade launcher weapon (one is used by a soldier at 1st savepoint, outside of the complex) is definitely bugged. Projectile emitter is too close to wielder's hands, thus making the wielder hit himself from time to time. Tested with James.

Last edited by Loser (01/20/14 18:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

Board footer