Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#876 10/19/13 08:10

Iritscen

Re: Movies

G3CD wrote:

Yes, I do think Oni was started on the Mac as Bungie was a Mac company that started its success with Marathon and was featured live on numerous Apple events with Steve Jobs?

The Oni project was started by two former Apple developers, so in that sense you're right (and of course Bungie was a lead Mac game developer at the time), but the development process probably took place on both platforms in tandem (then the PS2 port was done by Rockstar).

Another question regarding video: Do you know if there's a site with an official statement from Feral Interactive or Bungie or whoever that people are allowed to do use captured gameplay material on Youtube and monetize it?

Well, Feral was just a distributor for the game.  Bungie doesn't own the game anymore, so even if they had given permission for people to do this with their games, it wouldn't apply to Oni.  Take Two currently owns the game.  I think most of the Oni LPs that have been done in the past didn't have ads attached to them, so they never ran into this issue.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#877 10/19/13 18:10

Samer
Website

that wasn't my question ... my question was do you think it was released on Mac ONLY. because in all your descriptions you say Oni was a game released on mac by bungie etc ... never said on mac and pc (like everyone else does ^_^. )
there are dozens of oni videos if you search for oni on youtube. Almost every user here has made some oni vids some time and we never had a problem with it, in all honesty you may not get as many views from users here because we're all Oni veterans ... and we've seen a lot of Let's Play
example:
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NsiPQm1lMY
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUPJLXkK … FC1B8F5CF3
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8OnWfliaqU
and http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … oYmg3LYscW
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1Xo9Lb … F0CD0E0972

that's why i suggest showing newer content, something we haven't seen much of before like tens did here http://www.youtube.com/user/T3n5urya/videos . but in all cases any exposure is good exposure I guess.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#878 10/20/13 06:10

Dirk Gently
Website

stop being a pedant.

#879 10/20/13 11:10

Samer
Website

are you talking to me Dirk ?

Last edited by Samer (10/20/13 11:10)

#880 10/20/13 13:10

Lithium

He is

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#881 10/20/13 18:10

Samer
Website

He must be new here . Let me put this as nicely as I can.
Well then don't  talk to me smile  who died and made you moderator dirk ? Next time you don't like my comment skip it, I do that to s lot of yours smile it is not addressed to you, I'm sure you're able to go on with your life without sharing your opinion of what I say. Because contrary to what you may think or how highly you think of yourself I don't go "ohh the great dirk has spoken I must oblige !"

Last edited by Samer (10/20/13 18:10)

#882 10/20/13 21:10

tens

Well the best exposure would be to get one of the people on youtube, To make a Let's look at (AE7 Oni). But considering how old it is. People wouldn't oblige without a real major workover which makes the game completely new. But from what I've played and seen. The AI tweaks and some particles with a few characters would probably catch their attention but not enough to warrant the exposure we* need smile. Samer, you do tend to give a bit... well.. over the top detailed replies. Not that i mind. tongue

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#883 10/20/13 21:10

Samer
Website

we have new levels that need showcasing ... you were gonna make some vids of them weren't you tens ? Old China, Parkour Level, Island level etc ...
writing a detailed comment is a good thing in my book tens and as you've witnessed several times on fb group, unfortunately some people despite of how detailed you get, miss the point completely as evident here where G3CD misunderstood the question smile and that wasn't what dirk was implying nor do I care for his commanding tone. I'll leave it at that, for now ... and hopefully later ...
and again somehow it seems it's "hey let's give our opinion about each others posts day on the movies thread ^_^" ... fun ! I do want to play too and give my opinion about a lot of posts and the people who post them ... but i'll keep it for later to keep this thread on topic being the pedant that I am smile anything else you wish to say to me ... please email.
though I must say reading this on google: ( I didn't know what it meant first big_smile) a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning. I felt you were describing yourself dirk at first .. my bad.

Last edited by Samer (10/20/13 22:10)

#884 10/21/13 04:10

G3CD

I recorded the 1st 6 episodes in one take so I can't change the voiceover, but as of episode 3+4, I already acknowledged the PC & Mac thing in the commentary, with Rockstar developing a PS2 version and so on. I think I will 1st play the regular game through and then it's really a great idea to cover the extensions.

I really don't care about the number of views, I enjoy playing Oni a LOT and I think it makes for great content.

It's still an awesome game, with a lot of tension, dazzling character moves and really cool, convincing architecture (whereas Halo gets boring over time, you even play some maps twice, just in different directions). If I can interest some newbies in the game by doing the Let's Play, then all the better.

#885 10/21/13 18:10

Lithium

I tried to record island level but the game crashes upon me doing anything so blah.

#886 10/21/13 23:10

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Dirk Gently wrote:

stop being a pedant.

Samer wrote:

He must be new here . Let me put this as nicely as I can.
Well then don't  talk to me smile  who died and made you moderator dirk ? Next time you don't like my comment skip it, I do that to s lot of yours smile it is not addressed to you, I'm sure you're able to go on with your life without sharing your opinion of what I say. Because contrary to what you may think or how highly you think of yourself I don't go "ohh the great dirk has spoken I must oblige !"

Less of the abrasiveness, please. Both of you. And no talking back from you about this, Samer.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#887 10/22/13 00:10

Lithium

Can't we all get along guys?

#888 10/22/13 06:10

tens

I do actually have them levels recorded -Old China and the other stuff, they didn't come out the way i wanted them and for some reason in terrible quality as well. So i didn't upload them nor did i have time to re-capture them.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#889 10/27/13 04:10

Lithium

Ugh I'm going to try and see if this thing will hold up. I removed the HD screens mod and some other mods which were probably crashing it, so I'll ask, any specific requests for a video to be made? I don't know what should be showcased and whatnot, I could try to do a run with AE characters but I honestly don't feel like playing the game without cheats unless I use Konoko since she's versatile and is designed to take on what she has and I don't know how people feel about cheats and such.

Also screw lasers.

Last edited by Lithium (10/27/13 04:10)

#890 01/14/14 14:01

Samer
Website

Wilderness Preserve Intro \ Save point 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTYNjsbh … e=youtu.be
see if you can spot the "narcissistic" easter egg tongue
Music by Terry Menger.

Last edited by Samer (01/14/14 14:01)

#891 01/14/14 15:01

paradox-01

Are those car cams already new ones. If yes they are smoother than what I expected.
Are they animations or interpolations? And what method did you used to create them?

Last edited by paradox-01 (01/14/14 15:01)

#892 01/14/14 15:01

s10k
Website

Great introduction it was very well worked. I'm also curious about the car animation.

#893 01/14/14 17:01

Samer
Website

S10k thanks ^_^
Paradox, yes, they are 3 static cameras with interpolations. I used your cam tutorial in xsi and a lot of trial and error to position them correctly to get good transitions (esp that transition from 2nd to 3rd one, same goes for the first and second cam in the lab transitioning from looking at the portrait to james and jamie.) One thing I did differently than your tutorial is kept the camera interest even though they're static.
Edit: no one noticed the hidden msg sad ?

Last edited by Samer (01/14/14 17:01)

#894 01/14/14 18:01

Iritscen

Nice intro, this level looks quite ambitious!

#895 01/14/14 21:01

EdT
Website

Excellent intro cutscene, I liked how you animated the characters, the camera work was great.

#896 01/14/14 23:01

tens

yikes amazing big_smile

#897 01/15/14 03:01

uroboros

thats a smooth transition between lab level and new one. interesting begining.

#898 02/07/14 01:02

Loser

A video material showing an attempt to remake the first checkpoint area of Samer's Wilderness Preserve level. The content is heavily experimental, viewers are advised to think of it more as a demo than as a possible future level upgrade. Reason is quite a number of BSL<->Patr and BSL<->alarm conflicts, which often crash the game.

One of motivations behind this pet project was a cringing realization how Oni (year 2001 action brawler) has more potential for stealth gameplay than many contemporary stealth-dedicated titles.

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#899 02/07/14 05:02

ltemplar

Wonderful job as always Loser, but I have some suggestions on how to improve this, if you don't mind?

1. The logic plug-in that allows player retrieve the password code is really brilliant idea - but in my opinion it should put player into more risk, or it can be used finite number of times(the player have only few of them - so he need to decide when to use).
2. I think guard should go into other patrolling retinues(different patrol path), when alarmed(orange - small radius , or as it is, red in full scan  .This way you can simulate that they are searching the possible threat. It will be also interesting if they bring reinforcement (2 or 3 more guards) to the zone.
2.a. I think that alarming by console is a little bit odd.Even today's guard use inner-communication devices, so instead typing console he should use that device(with proper animation which can be interrupted by hit to gave player chance to stop him).
3. I think that hacking should be something other than blindly guessing the password, maybe a process that take some time: 1 minute to 3 or so (depending of hack difficulty - security level)?In other word hacking the console in front of the guards is a bad idea.
3.a Maybe when player get the password it could be automatically written by character, when he tap this option again - time sever?
4. I think that the advanced console interaction can be used for many other things than only hacking. What if by using it, we simulate on which floor elevator can stop or which sensors/turrets will go off-line?

5. Other strange idea - Can we set that guards on green status(by script probably),on which their spotting range is set to be smaller than normal?In other words they see the player but they ignore him till he gets to close (perfectly if this can be combined with player crunch or prone mode status)?
I think something like that will force more stealthy behaviour on the player.

Last edited by ltemplar (02/07/14 05:02)

#900 02/07/14 08:02

Iritscen

ltemplar, in case you missed the context for this mod, Loser is already done with his work on this.  He used up valuable time that he was supposed to be spending on his thesis and he is just showing the results of how far he got.  So all of your comments have to be filed under "Nice idea, why don't you do it yourself?"  tongue

Board footer