Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/16/13 09:10

Dirk Gently
Website

OniLevelTool

Over the past weekend i redid a project I had going from a while back called "OniLevelTool". The idea behind this was to create a very simple library that could parse, modify, and export/import tag data from level files. I have written it in C and it should be completely cross-platform, only requirement is a library called "libxml" for parsing tag plugins.

Tag Plugins?
Yes! Instead of taking the hard route of hardcoding how the tag data is formatted and read from level files I have created a plugin style of specifying what type of data exists in a particular tag type and how to read that data. This means we can alter and update our understanding of how tag data is used without needing to have new code be built or modified.

Why make another tool?
1. I want to prevent more tool fragmentation
2. I think there is a better way to do some of the patching with applying mods than what we currently have
3. I wanted to do something other than write yet another wrapper around onisplit

What is this again?
OniLevelTool or OLT is a library that can load and parse a level file and allow for editing the file itself without needing to rebuild. It also support exporting tags to .oni files and it will support rebuilding levels. I plan on being able to convert between .oni and .xml files and also build a better way to create patch files for mods. When starting this project i didn't envision creating the end-all of modding tools, nor do i want to.

where is this?
There is still some work to be done, while parsing and reading tags is finished, i need to finish making the rest of the tag plugins before I can publish the import/export code. However if you want to contribute or help, you can check out the repo of the source code here:
https://github.com/samdmarshall/OniLevelTool

#2 10/16/13 13:10

paradox-01

Re: OniLevelTool

Hi Dirk, is there a chance you can upload a compiled version and add instructions how to use it so that we none-programmers can toy with it and see what possibilities it gives to us? smile

Last edited by paradox-01 (10/16/13 13:10)

#3 10/16/13 15:10

Dirk Gently
Website

This doesn't do anything on its own, it is supposed to be used in conjunction with another tool or interface. Primarily this is aimed at replacing the very convoluted process of rebuilding and applying mods.

#4 10/16/13 23:10

paradox-01

"be used in conjunction with another tool or interface"

No chance to use it on a command-line?
Maybe you used a second tool for testing this? What would it be?

#5 10/17/13 09:10

Dirk Gently
Website

Yes, I have a little thing I use to test with, i could compile it for mac, someone else would have to compile for windows, all cross platform code so it shouldn't be a problem for someone to compile.

#6 10/17/13 21:10

EdT
Website

Please compile a version for the Mac, so I can play around with it smile

#7 10/20/13 06:10

Dirk Gently
Website

I have spoken with Alloc and it looks like we will be working together to integrate this into AEI in the near future, and move forward with mod patching from there.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (10/20/13 06:10)

Board footer