Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 09/21/13 17:09

EdT
Website

Re: wilderness preserve level pre-release discussion.

ltemplar: When you run the Level Maker, can you see a text output of what is occurring in the level making process?

I saw this:

Importing textures...
Could not find TXMP instance notfoundtex
Could not find TXMP instance Wood_Furniture
Could not find TXMP instance Hiden_Room
Could not find TXMP instance Plastic_Furniture
Could not find TXMP instance Kitchen_Furnitures
Could not find TXMP instance Soft_Furniture
Could not find TXMP instance AGD_Furniture
Imported 0 textures, copied 0 textures

This means OniSplit cannot find the textures linked in the dae. (Note: "Could not find TXMP instance notfoundtex" usually means you have some surface that does not have any textures)

So when I looked at the level_env.dae with a text editor and did a search for "Soft_Furniture", I found this:

<image id="Soft_Furniture_psd_img" format="bitmap" height="1024" width="1024" depth="32" name="Soft_Furniture_psd_img">
			<init_from>../ONI_Frunitures/Soft_Furniture.psd</init_from>

That told me there are 3 errors. 1) The texture is located at ../ONI_Frunitures/Soft_Furniture.psd 2)The texture name is Soft_Furniture 3)The format of the texture is .psd

For these reasons, OniSplit could not find the textures, so when you loaded the level, it had no textures, therefore Oni crashed.

To fix your problem, 1)Make sure the path to the textures is a valid one in reference to the .dae. 2)The texture name matches the enclosed texture. (Soft_Furniture vs. _Soft_Furniture) 3)Use .tga or .jpg textures in XSI.

Or you could edit the .dae directly, I corrected all the texture links, for example:
<image id="Soft_Furniture_psd_img" format="bitmap" height="1024" width="1024" depth="32" name="Soft_Furniture_psd_img">
            <init_from>../ONI_Frunitures/Soft_Furniture.psd</init_from>

to

<init_from>TXMP_Soft_Furniture.tga</init_from>

Then I was able to see the textures in the game.  However, as the screenshot shows, the textures for the wall, floor and ceiling "could not be found".

Texture_error.jpg

#27 09/21/13 18:09

ltemplar

So this was a texture problem all along......F###k
Ugh..now I know where I put that texture(for wall, ceiling and floor).It was a shadow map , that I tested and forgot to add.My bad.
So there is no error with the geometry(I used quads instead of triangles) I presume(add last this part has been corrected...)
Interesting there I see no camera error , that i have in previous versions of this test level.

Maybe now I will be able to import full version into oni correctly?
Thanks again EdT.

BTW. EdT..Can you check how AI is working in such tight corridors?Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/21/13 18:09)

#28 09/21/13 18:09

EdT
Website

For level geometry, you can use quads, original Oni levels used quads.  Triangles are needed for characters, objects and so on.  So then Trees will need to be triagulated.

Once you fix the textures, you should be able to import the entire level into Oni.  Be sure to watch the console for error messages.

Have fun smile

Edit: I can test the AI, but after the walls, floors and ceilings are textured. smile

Edit2: let's continue this discussion on your thread.

#29 09/22/13 04:09

ltemplar

EdT wrote:

For level geometry, you can use quads, original Oni levels used quads.  Triangles are needed for characters, objects and so on.  So then Trees will need to be triagulated.
Edit2: let's continue this discussion on your thread.

I done some research, and to my knowledge  only characters need to be triangulated. Furnitures , doors and any other level related object can be done from quads.
So trees could be done from tris yes, but that's not a requirement (quads will do even better for larger objects).

Well that was only a spoiler(but related to topic somehow), but I agree, that when I will have the full level, the discussion about it will be definitely elsewhere.(still if you are interested, how thous shadow map work in ONI..I can send you the test ap. level with them, and one more time thanks)

Now the only one thing remain which is in what form you want thous filers(trees , brushes, rocks, etc). As a level(from when you can take them... eventually test if everything is working correctly), or as the ready to export objects?

Last edited by ltemplar (09/22/13 04:09)

#30 09/24/13 00:09

Samer
Website

ltemplar wrote:

Now the only one thing remain which is in what form you want thous filers(trees , brushes, rocks, etc). As a level(from when you can take them... eventually test if everything is working correctly), or as the ready to export objects?

whatever is easier for EdT.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#31 09/28/13 06:09

ltemplar

Ok..here is the tree...low poly..

variant1(from 5)
overall number of polygons 223 : transparent 136 non transparent 87 (so it should be working nicely with the engine)

jctb.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited by ltemplar (09/28/13 06:09)

#32 09/28/13 09:09

EdT
Website

ltemplar: looks good, did you try importing the tree into Oni with the level maker?  You could make a simple ground plane and then add your trees to it and see how it works.

#33 09/28/13 10:09

ltemplar

Yes , they work fine, but are set to high(with is strange - but I'm closer to it every time I'm importing it - I send you an e-mail about that problem)

EDIT1: EdT - can you post a screen shot ..and confirm that the work for you as well (from MAC user -side)?(here or via e-mail)
EDIT2: It seams i heve removed this problem.I need to correct some things tough before I will be able to release it for community usage , more or less here is the screen shot from the game (10 + trees and no glitches)

j8k9.jpg

What do you think Samer...matching your vision(after all this is for your level)?

Last edited by ltemplar (09/28/13 15:09)

#34 09/29/13 03:09

ltemplar

sorry for double post.
I see you are no longer interested in this Samer... tongue .No comment from you yet.

#35 09/29/13 04:09

Samer
Website

Hi ltemplar, that looks really good, thanks a lot. Sorry it's sometimes hard to keep up because you edit your posts a lot tongue last time i ckecked i didn't see that last screenshot ... i've also been communicating with Edt through email about the level geometry, so i forgot to check here regularly too.

Last edited by Samer (09/29/13 04:09)

#36 09/29/13 08:09

ltemplar

Ok.
I will finish the deformed ones probably in the end of the next week.
If you however, want thous trees to check, ask EdT for the level or send me e-mail so I can send it to you directly.

#37 09/29/13 11:09

Iritscen

ltemplar, I've noticed too that you tend to edit your posts way after making them.  You do realize that when a new post isn't made, the thread icon doesn't light up, so how can we know that you added something?  Perhaps you've been on some forums where they freak out over double-posts, so I want to reassure you that we really don't mind multiple posts in a row, as long as you're posting substantially new content in each post.  It's definitely preferable to do that than to add new content to an existing post hours later, which makes communication more difficult.

Back on topic, I do think those trees look about as nice as we could reasonably expect for Oni.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#38 09/29/13 11:09

EdT
Website

ltempalr:  I found the cause of the lines in the leaves texture.  The tree branch texture to the left and the part on the bottom right needs to removed through the alpha channel.  Then no more lines smile

#39 09/29/13 13:09

ltemplar

Yes I know...I corrected this already. But I also need to connect some branches to the tree, (especially on the tip and the bottom)..so they will no longer "levitate" in the air.  tongue

I'm currently adding some rocks to the level to test how they will behave in there.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/29/13 13:09)

#40 10/04/13 06:10

Samer
Website

hi ltemplar, I must thank you again for the trees they really look great in the level and brought the whole thing to life.
I just got to see the boulders, and I was wondering if you could modify them a bit .. the middle boulder (the huge one) could you make it to look like it's 2 smaller boulders resting on each others ? or just add a slightly smaller boulder infront of the bigger one, and if possible to have the texture be less rough, so it doesn't look segmented ?
boulders_cave.jpg

#41 10/04/13 11:10

ltemplar

You mean you want texture to be less tiled?
Sorry i don't quite catch that sentence about the boulders thing.
I created 22(with 3 different textures) in total separate rocks that you can rotate, scale place, as you want.So I really don't understand what are you asking for me to do, that you can't do by yourself with thous resources you have now. 

What regards texture - yes I can make it to be less segmented.But it is low-res one so it will look ugly on the bigger rocks.
If EdT can send me better textures..then I can do it.

Last edited by ltemplar (10/04/13 11:10)

#42 10/04/13 12:10

EdT
Website

Samer: ltempalr sent me a file with all his different boulders, I will go through them and select some other ones.

#43 10/04/13 13:10

Samer
Website

ok then i didn't know there were more options so never mind ltemplar smile
I also read btw that ltemplar said that's 1 tree out of 5 variants ... are there other ones ? if so please EdT include them in your next email smile

#44 10/04/13 13:10

ltemplar

Yes one from five -different placement here and there,scale changed..etc nothing fancy.
If you count 3 different textures for leafs(that i included) then it will be even more...

.....And all in the EdT possession now...  tongue .

Last edited by ltemplar (10/04/13 13:10)

#45 10/04/13 18:10

EdT
Website

ltemplar: Cough... cough... there was only one leaf texture in the level you sent me smile

#46 10/05/13 07:10

EdT
Website

Samer: I have a question, when you place the boulders in the model, is there a way you can only export the boulders in XSI as .dae?  If so, then in the wilderness.xml you could do something like this:

<Model>
            <Import>wilderness.dae</Import>
            <Import>boulders.dae</Import>
</Model>

So even though I may change somethings in the level's geometry, the boulders are separate and can be easily added to the updated version.

Actually, this technique could work for trees, crates, barrels and other furniture things.  Position the actual object in the level and save the objects in a separate dae.

#47 10/06/13 07:10

Samer
Website

ltemplar any progress on the deformed ones and the mutant trees ? (just a general shape)
something simple like this http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 … edbush.png (without the particle effects) can be used as the objective plants \ mutant plants.

and I think we are going to still need some simple bushes \ shrubs at the end where jamie cuts her leg because the previous ones we had were giving issues as Ed told me.

#48 10/19/13 08:10

ltemplar

Yes there is. EdT got the package from me yesterday.

What regards deformed/mutated bushes. I will naturally make them too. No worry.

As for the objective plants yes I can do something like that (You will also need one for the spike turret).

"and I think we are going to still need some simple bushes \ shrubs at the end where jamie cuts her leg because the previous ones we had were giving issues as Ed told me."
-You mean the 3d one right(not the 2d)?. No problem I can create them too.

BTW- here is the prof of concept that should give you something to think about....

g3ck.jpg

Last edited by ltemplar (10/19/13 08:10)

#49 10/20/13 00:10

Samer
Website

Hi ltemplar I got the mutant\bare trees and they look good smile thanks again for your huge help.

"What regards deformed/mutated bushes. I will naturally make them too. No worry" thanks I think these ones will be enough to add at the final section where jamie cuts her leg mixed with the bare trees you've already sent us.

"As for the objective plants yes I can do something like that (You will also need one for the spike turret)."
thanks smile I don't think we'll be needing a spike turret though ^_^

"and I think we are going to still need some simple bushes \ shrubs ... " the mutated shrubs will be added to the last pathway where jamie cuts her legs .. the normal ones .. 3d or 2d ... will be added along the level, but at his moment they are not a priority anymore.

currently the most important ones are the mutated shrubs\plants that will cause jamie to cut her leg.

regarding the screenshot, yes Ed sent me your level preview. it looks good in game and more natural than my kind of tree wall smile. However, it works well in your test level due to the large open area and the distance between character and tree wall, in our level that we've made so far it's more divided into sections and narrower pathways .. so it won't work for this particular project that we have, especially now that it's almost done and any geometry change will affect a whole lot of other stuff, (furniture, particles, turrets, lasers, trigger volumes, flags etc ... )that we've already placed.

thanks ^_^

#50 10/20/13 08:10

ltemplar

Ok. I'm not forcing you to anything. It's only a concept showing in what direction the second level can go..nothing more.

Update:
-The mutated shrubs are done(2d only- If you need 3d then you must wait for me to optimize them- and that will take some time unfortunately) ,
-the collectibles are done,
-the new 2,5d trees are done
And all in EdT hands now. ]:D

So now you have full number of needed resources to finish this level.
I'm waiting now for the next video and of course for the release. smile

Last edited by ltemplar (10/20/13 08:10)

Board footer