Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/16/13 21:09

Samer
Website

wilderness preserve level pre-release discussion.

ltemplar wrote:

EdT:If we're talking about oni time line, then it can be even more complicated in some cases. Mutated trees, brushes(without leafs) etc, can be done quite easily, but only when I get full documentation about what plants/traps you plan to add, and what player will be doing there(survival..maybe)

exploring the preserve as james and jamie hasegawa, avoiding guards and traps\ surviving\exploration .. ends up with jamie's death after getting cut by the toxic plant. (character swap with a jamie model that has scars and wounds textures)

ltemplar wrote:

-I can't somehow imagine, that we'll be able to create full open level with all thous limitations that oni engine have. Just cunt how much objects you will need to put there to get the effect(with full freedom).
-In my opinion such level should be created as labyrinth(with few paths, and cross roads) , where player must figure out where to go to avoid traps(the "walls" will be a mix of polygonal objects, and nice looking background textures showing the "nature" in full glory).

Samer to EdT wrote:

for the natural preserve level .. I had something more linear in mind (smaller and less room for free exploration).
If you feel like making more levels ... i can draw some detailed sketch \ map of the level and you handle making the geometry and I'll continue the rest (like fightclub) if you like.

in short I had in mind a rectangular area with fences around it with a forest or something similar as a skybox ... mission starts with them breaking in ... the trees or hedges make a little maze ... then come across more areas with guards that attack them ... they steal some gun to defend themselves or use one of james's cool inventions (one of the guns from the New Weapons mod). jamie will be AI controlled ,player is james ... encountering some traps along the way and more armed guards ... some traps and gates can be disabled using consoles with Loser's password modification  ... as they go deeper into the reserve they come a cross a narrower path with shrubs ... then a cinematic of sorts plays where jamie cuts her leg ... and we all know how it ends.

ltemplar wrote:

-The traps can be created as specially modified turrets where "lasers" are special points(tentacles for example), so when character touch them the "tree/brush" is starting to shoot them(spikes).
-There should be also traps based on poisonous gases and others more "pleasant" things added by humanity(proximity mines for example).

yeah i had something similar in mind, the spikes and tentacles thing sounds cool don't know if it can be applicable though because it sounds like it requires a ton of particle modifications.

ltemplar wrote:

-If you plan to add some BGI/SYNDICATE/TCTF patrols along the way, then the best will be to put them in some kind of "kill zones" to avoid situations with limited AI and traps system(or maybe there is a plan that player use nature to his benefit?)

it will be either the bgi agents or i'll make a new type of guards specifically for the level. EdT's guard dogs and sentry droid can be a nice fit too.

ltemplar wrote:

... allow us to add animals into thous levels(not to mention who will create, texture, animate - i can , but somebody other will be "forced" to export them- then, create AI(loser maybe) etc), but this also can be a nice touch.

not necessary i can't imagine how they'll be alive anyway.

ltemplar wrote:

-Are you plan to add any environmental suits/vehicles to thous levels?

nope

ltemplat wrote:

-The level will be cut into parts(separate levels) or this will be a stand alone one?

one level, maybe more than 1 save point .. was thinking of combining it with the hasegawa lab and have another flashback there where syndicate\bgi kidnap baby konoko and muro .. player plays as james or young kerr activating several traps (again using that console password hacking modification made by Loser) and using weapons to defeat the intruders (at the end sarai or hammer are sent to take them and james fails to protect muro while kerr escapes with konoko)

ltemplar wrote:

So till I get what you really need(plan for the level will be the best) I can't do anything constructive sad .

any sort of low poly tree models will do ... some mutated ... some withered and bare ... some normal with few leaves ... with a basic texture i can change the texture later to better suit the 'mood' of the level ...Edt can pretty much handle the remaining construction I think, and I can handle the xml and bsl stuff (with help hopefully). but i'm still too lazy to actually draw the map tongue

Last edited by Samer (01/20/14 05:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 09/16/13 21:09

Lithium

Re: wilderness preserve level pre-release discussion.

I hate to sound pessimistic but I don't think wilderness levels blend themselves well into Oni.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 09/16/13 22:09

EdT
Website

Samer: I have to make the level??? I thought this would a great introduction for you to get into level creation tongue

When you think of the map design, also think about where you can add hills, valleys, paths, traps and so on.  Have you heard of displacement maps? I have a 3D program that can use the displacement map to make a terrain.  Black is the lowest point, white is the highest point, shades of gray in-between.

Of course, at some point we will need to continue the conversation by email, otherwise, everyone will know what the level looks like, where all the traps are and so on smile

#4 09/17/13 11:09

ltemplar

EdT: Yes i know what displacement maps are(and that's a relief if you have program for theirs creation), but they will also look perfectly when we add vertex lighting to them(from my research shadow maps are to much polygon demanding and complicated to do in oni case).
Samer: Don't worry about textures. I will simply bake them so they will be in high resolution.

The proper "mood" can be also achieved by addition of particles effect such as fog or smoke(green maybe). But again it's still a concept phase of this level. The real work can start if somebody draw the full level layout with basic documentation(traps -how many , how they will work; basic patrols placement, etc.)

I agree that this conversation, when the level will get some shape, should be continued via e-mails.

BTW. Samer I think that thous who kidnap baby Mouro where SYNDICATE goons not a BGI one(check kerrs-konoko conversation in the science level). So what Sarai or Hammer doing in the level staff?
The same goes for the World wide preserve. The normal guard (TCTF) is enough(why BGI again?), I think Environmental suit as some kind of protective gear are perfect equip choice for them. The same goes for James and Jamie.If they will wear some gas mask(the are not daodan yet remember)they will match perfectly theirs other equipment.
What regard weapons...I think simple pistol with few ammo clips will be enough as a start armament for both of them(no fancy uper-duper weapons - he is a biologist/bio-scientist not a arms dialer for god sake tongue (or is he?)).

#5 09/17/13 12:09

Samer
Website

@Edt regarding you building the geometry, if you like to of course, to be completely honest i'm not able to get in the mood to pickup a new form of modding currently.

@ltemplar ... Mmm i simply want the bgi to be there tongue the syndicate as we know them weren't formed until muro grew up. Who says they were strikers and tankers back then ? The bgi ran the whole thing from the start ... That's the way i see it and how i want to make this level smile
As for gears and what not, in the dream lab flashbacks, they are wearing simple wilderness outfits, that's why i made the wilderness james/jamie outfits all that time ago and that's what i will use for the level. Still undecided about the guards.

I think EdT meant me with the displacement map, i'll read more about it and use it to represent the different terrain levels, and make a map key to show where the traps, consoles, patroling guards and other stuff is. I'll send you the map EdT when it's ready.

Ltemplar let's not get ahead of ourselves, if you like to help, the tree models for starters would be great, you don't have to worry about the traps and the other stuff, nor where the trees will be placed or what guns to use smile The final touches like fog, texture modifications, music, dialogue etc .. will be done later by me. Thanks in advance if you decide to make those trees.

Last edited by Samer (09/17/13 12:09)

#6 09/17/13 14:09

ltemplar

Ok so here is a preview of how in my opinion mutated brushes/trees should look like:

g479.jpg

-it's only 2100(finished one will be 3000 or so) tris
-No texture(only basic color)
-basic uvw.

Tell me what you think, and if I should go in that direction creating other objects(mushrooms, spikes turrets, etc).

#7 09/17/13 16:09

Samer
Website

Edt will have to answer the poly part,
regarding the textue if you can put a basic wood texture only so we know it won't get stretched and would fit, that'd be good.
I personally prefer if you could throw in a couple that have some leaves and look like regular trees, that way we start with regular trees and the deeper they go into the reserve the more mutated and bare the trees become.

Last edited by Samer (09/17/13 16:09)

#8 09/17/13 17:09

EdT
Website

ltemplar: Yes the displacement map was for Sam's info.  Where he wants the hills, valleys, flat areas and so on.  That will help me when making the level.   

Regarding the trees, it will depend on how many trees will be visible at one time.  At 3,000 tris, you can only have 2 of them. 3 will put you above the 8,192 limit in Oni's engine.

For example this tree, using polygons for the leaves is almost 1,000 tris. The most you could have visible at one time was 8, but if you add the level's geometry, that reduces the number of trees.

Oni_Tree.jpg

Samer: So that means when you design sections of the level, you have to decide if you want a few detailed trees or lots of low poly trees. Then how the section will look around that area.   It depends on how polygons are visible at one time.

Also, to keep in mind is the size of the overall level.  The maximum size is a total of 8,000 meters in the directions x,y,z.  Of course, Oni uses a center point of 0,0,0, so then 4,000 meters in any direction from the center point. Since Oni uses real world scale, it can help you visualize the size or scale of your level.

#9 09/18/13 00:09

Samer
Website

Samer: So that means when you design sections of the level, you have to decide if you want a few detailed trees or lots of low poly trees. Then how the section will look around that area.   It depends on how polygons are visible at one time.

Honestly I prefer to have lots of low poly trees ... it will be very bare without enough trees ...

@ltemplar that looks ok for some weeds or shrubs but not really for all the trees.  ... and that's very high poly compared to what it is (branches) ... i'm sure you can decrease it much more so we can fit 10+ of them ...
keep in mind the level doesn't really need to be that detailed, no one expects it to look like a new jungle level from a recent game ...will have to play on the illusion of it ...
can't we also just have trees and shrubs painted on ? example a rectangular polygon with a tree drawn on it and with transperancy. 2D instead of 3D. that will fill the level and make it look "foresty" without wasting polys.
maybe the trees can look something like this : Fire_crab.png
and if you can spare time to watch some of this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_49X6Dnh … J&index=11
looks to me like it's very low poly all the leaves are on about 4 planes and with just transparency ... or like 02:43 they are just painted on a plane, and still giving the effect we want. or the shrubs at 03:55 they look like few intersecting planes with the shrub painted on them. (instead of having each leave a polygon)

so what i'm thinking is the area has a a forest image skybox then a fence around it (like mountain compound), then we have some 2D trees painted on (like the video i linked), and then few 3D trees every now (still low poly) or just tree logs , rocks, shrubs,  in addition to consoles, boxes, small huts (like the ones in the airport cargo hangars) representing guard stations and have some weird looking shrubs like the one ltemplar previewed at the end of the level to cut jamie's leg.

Last edited by Samer (09/18/13 00:09)

#10 09/18/13 01:09

ltemplar

Samer: We agree, that there are some problems with transparent like plants..thats why we decided to create them fully from polygons. If we can use transparency, then this will be piece of cake.
And again. Maybe I'm a bit annoying, but some basic layout of the map will help me to create thous(first brushes now you are talking about normal trees at the beginning..etc).

EdT: Ok . But next time try to somehow separate what you are writing for him and for me. It's damn confusing.
So how many tris I can use for one object 500, 300 or less?

Last edited by ltemplar (09/18/13 09:09)

#11 09/18/13 02:09

Samer
Website

ltemplar wrote:

EdT: Ok . But next time try to somehow separate what you are writing for him and for me. It's damn confusing.

well he did start that paragraph with "Samer:" and I was the only one who posted on the thread tongue

EdT can you explain to me the transparency issue ? I mean haven't we used glass in some new levels ? and they look ok ... if it leads to having the texture not show from both sides can't we just have inverted polygons attached together ? (I've seen that video of the car in the airport level before but didn't we figure out a way around it?)

Last edited by Samer (09/18/13 02:09)

#12 09/18/13 09:09

ltemplar

Samer: Thanks it was mine miss watch in EdT case- corrected.

But still. If you want me to create thous brushes/trees/etc..I need some hint what you need.
Even basic documentation like:
-I need 2 types of huge normal trees - for example will do, so i will not be forced to improvise(still think that ,the basic layout for the level will be the best option here).
The examples you have posted(thous movies on youtube) make this even more complicated to understand. From what I observed.. they forest is a simple wall where trees with brushes are drawn on it as texture with transparency(and it's look so damn flat). I think that for oni we can use the mix of thous techniques. On the first plane , i think we should but some low polygon trees on the second , trees that are  simple one , the last one(third one) will be the wall texture with transparency(and I mean in the exploration area not as a background). You as level designer can also take into account using LOD(level of detail).
But Yet again, without precise description I will be forced to get in to your head constantly(as you mentioned before).Sorry. wink

here is 2 flat tree with transparency what can be farscape (2-th plan)

efz4.jpg

Last edited by ltemplar (09/18/13 10:09)

#13 09/18/13 10:09

EdT
Website

Here is a level that has a simple tree using transparent polygons and a tree textured wall.
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1869/TreesTest.zip  (PC only, uses level 5)

As you move around you can see how the transparent textured planes interact visually with one another.

ltemplar: From my experience, Oni's engine does not work well when there are a lot of triangles packed tightly together. For example 1m x 1m square can be made from 2 triangles or hundreds of small triangles, Oni works better with the 2 triangles.

Also, dense triangles can cause collision errors. On example was in my junkyard level, I had an object that was made up of a lot of triangles in a small area and when the player would collide with it, then soon after the player would fall through the ground.

So please try to make your objects as low poly as possible.

#14 09/18/13 10:09

ltemplar

Thanks EdT.
For normal trees (first plane) I think we can use particles for leafs - as you can see here http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-7.htm
, but only if we know how precisely we can place particles in the level.

#15 09/18/13 16:09

EdT
Website

Guys, when you have time can you please test this simple Level Maker: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1869/LevelMaker.zip
Paradox helped me to put this together.

Extract and place in your AE folder.  It is designed to create level5_Final files using the create_level.bat file. 

It has the very basic files to import a new level into Oni.  It is using the latest OniSplit version 0.94, when using the -create:level command it will automatically scale the textures to a power of 2, and if the texture's size is larger than 512, reduce it to 512.  If you were to run the bat file with the included files, you will get a large plane for the ground.

To use your own level geometry, rename it level_bnv.dae and place it inside the LevelMaker folder along with the textures for the level.

If you want to use a different level, simple change the line: OniSplit -import:pc out ../GameDataFolder/level5_Final.dat

For advanced usage see this wiki page: http://wiki.oni2.net/XML:ONLV

If it works fine for you, then I'll release it to the rest of the forum.

ltemplar: Using the level importer and the file BINACJBOParticle.xml we can position particles.  Also, I hope you can use this to import your test BGI level into Oni.

#16 09/18/13 20:09

Samer
Website

@Edt the treestest level doesn't work for me, the game crashes when I load the Airport Deux Level (i put the dat and raw in the AE\GameDataFolder so i wasn't able to test it. Could you post a screenshot or a short vid of it ?

I don't think adding more custom particles is the way to go, due to the limit we have and especially that the package will have dependency on other packs with custom particles like BGI characters and new weapons.

anyway this is a simple map of the level, it's very linear and not too big ... the light brown represents higher ground and the darker lower ground.... the grey ground is stone\rock ground.... it's more of a hidden guarded area that they are trying to clean up ... than a natural big beautiful preserve.

9809729903_03a8e52cbe_b.jpg

they start off at the car, james has to hack the console on the right to open the gate at the center (the blue consoles have a password using Loser's modification) ... stealth is preferable here ... they then activate phase cloaks (well james is an inventor so they must have come prepared, and sneak past the 2 guards at the front gate before the effect wears off) ... some guards will be armed, some with weapons from the new weapons collection ... guards without patrol path are stationary ... anytime an alarm console is activated the mission fails.
there's a "Danger! No Trespassing" sign near the gate.
the collectibles are something objective related and they have to gather all except the final one, they are there to gather information, so these can be either mutated plants which player has to come close to (collect samples) or data consoles with info related to the "illegal government activity"

the acid vat has boxes on which player can jump on (Adjusted for generic male jump heights) maybe 1 box can be disappearing and reappearing (sinking\floating) ... jamie waits back, james crosses and hacks the console on the other side making a bridge appear so jamie can cross (using the env_show command EdT used in the city level) I hope that is possible.
then the area with 3 guards and a central acid vat ... the entrance to the cave is blocked by boulders ... once the guards are killed in that area a mine goes off and the boulders explode\disappear (env_show command again) .. inside the cave there are mines or the cave can be made longer to include more different traps ... again jamie can wait and a console on the other side of the cave can be used to deactivate the mines so she can cross after james. ... outside of the cave they go up a hillside to higher ground ...

then there's a deep acid vat below them, and tall tree logs as platforms .. there are snipers in the building facing these platforms that will shoot through windows as player tries to make way across... the boxes are climbable and and then player can jump from boxes into window into building, defeating snipers and opening the last gate .. final area has several guards. The final guard is hidden ... he disarms james of whatever gun he has in a cutscene (reset inventory) after defeating the guard james is forced to pick up a pistol instead. proceeding down a narrow path that has several shrubs (these can look different from the other ones) and towards the last collectible the level is interrupted with jamie screaming, the flying portraits from dream lab can be shown ... jamie model swap to the injured jamie, and lying down animation ... james shoots her with pistol. level ends.

the paths and areas can be much wider than i drew them. it can also be more coop switching between james and jamie ... jamie does the jumping for example.
if the AI can't always follow we can have jamie magically teleport once james crosses. (like after the logs jumps)
I'm open to ideas of more traps or puzzles.  hidden hypos and ammo can be added later.

as this is we'll need like 5 types of plants : 
1-normal trees save pt 1 to 3 ...
2-similar trees but with less leaves for the rest after save point 3 ... they can be made to have different shapes to avoid repetition ...
similarly the walls with trees painted on can become darker \ spookier after the cave.
3- standard shrubs as low poly as possible for aesthetics.
4- final shrubs more strange looking or just a different color  ...
5- mutated small plants (as big as standard shinatama) - the objective related ones represented by the lightning bolt ... (or data consoles instead.)

Last edited by Samer (09/18/13 21:09)

#17 09/18/13 21:09

EdT
Website

Samer: Try this one: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1869/TreeLevel.zip   The previous one was missing the marker textures.

Nice map, it will take me awhile to make it...    What are the dimensions of the level in meters?

#18 09/18/13 23:09

Samer
Website

I don't mind this at all
Oni%25202013-09-19%252006-38-32-88_cr.jpg
it looks good imo for what we're working with and for the limitations we have.

i experienced some flickering almost falling through ground but i'm not sure if that's because of the trees or the ground itself missing a polygon or something.
another issue is that player can pass through the trees and walls as if they aren't there, that however works well for the shrubs big_smile like they're walking through grass, so let's have as many of these shrubs as possible filling any empty space (in the middle of and to sides of the paths) and increase their size a bit more so they fill more space without using up too many of them.
so what i think is best and as ltemplar hinted, is have that wall with the painted trees (but i'll find a different texture for it and the wall should be solid not passable through) then those trees you put in Edt (i'll call them 2d) have a few of them in front of the wall in front of and next to each other maybe about 4.. to give the illusion of depth, and we can lay them close to solid walls or objects so they can't pass through them either way. the solid walls with trees painted on will help divide the level into sections so there aren't many trees seen at the same time.
then have the very few solid 3d trees ltemplar makes as shown in the map at some locations maximum 3 are shown at the same time... and if that leads to polygon overload we can remove some shrubs or the 2d trees ...

so ltemplar if you can make low poly 3D trees similar in shape to the screenshot \ the ones in Edt test level, maybe even bare without leaves ... and small mutated plants.
can we have the trunk of the tree solid 3d (can't be passed through)? and then the upper part like the trees in the test level ? 2 intersecting planes with transparency.
the shrubs Edt included, i feel are sufficient enough so you don't need to make any additional shrubs.

Edt regarding actual dimensions, I'm not really good with imagining dimensions :$ i mean it should be a little bigger than the dream lab. the cave for example is as wide as the corridor that has lasers in the beginning of sc prison... the last acid vat with the logs is as big as that of bio research lab. the first area with guards and cave entrance is just a little bigger than evil konoko room. feel free to modify dimensions and even terrain levels to what you feel is best.

Last edited by Samer (09/18/13 23:09)

#19 09/18/13 23:09

EdT
Website

You can pass through the 2D trees?  That's odd, I can't.  I made the 3D trees no collision, otherwise it was irritating getting stuck when you hit the polygons of the tree.

Did you notice how the 3d trees looked as you moved around?

EDIT: For the skybox, I found some nice ones here: http://www.redsorceress.com/skybox.html  Let me know which one you want to use.
Some natural textures can be found here under the theme Nature: http://www.cgtextures.com/

Also, what should the surroundings look like outside the wall?

Last edited by EdT (09/18/13 23:09)

#20 09/19/13 03:09

ltemplar

Samer: Nice design.

EdT: Yes I noticed that bigger objects have double transparency problem here. But that can be removed , when we cut the tree into parts(2 for the base 8 for the leafs part) so instead 2 we get 10 polygon object. To remove failing trough, or moving by it ..I recommend to add some kind of basic cage(invisible) around that object and mark it as collision detector. That way player won't be able to pass everything , and reach the "tree wall".

#21 09/19/13 16:09

uroboros

This is starting too look like an interesting concept for a level.

About the level maker: Thanks for sharing this EdT and Paradox.
It works and makes importing level 100x times easier. I know what I'm saying. tongue I've tried to import a level before and it never worked. And with this tool my simple sketchup test model was converted into working oni level with one click.

Note: To make it work I had to replace level_bnv along with level_env

#22 09/19/13 18:09

EdT
Website

Samer: Check your email.

ltemplar: I'm glad you will be making the trees smile

uroboros: That was the purpose of the Level Maker to make it simple and easy.  What was wrong with the level_bnv?  I hope this will motivate you to play around with making new levels.

#23 09/21/13 11:09

ltemplar

EdT: No problem. I'm glad to help. Don't know when they will be ready tough, but I will try to finish them as quickly as possible(end of this month or so).
Also, form Samer level blueprint I noticed that there are some rocks(near the cave entrance). I can do them as well, if nobody isn't interested.
Edit1. Yes I haven't forgotten about them. But thanks anyway.

BTW. This level editor is wonderful tool. Now I have place to test thous trees/etc...before showing them.Thanks.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/21/13 11:09)

#24 09/21/13 11:09

Samer
Website

EdT wrote:

EDIT: For the skybox, I found some nice ones here ... Let me know which one you want to use.

I feel the one called Emerald Fog would be he best fit.

Also, what should the surroundings look like outside the wall?

i'm thinking like the airport level when the missions starts there's a road and tunnel and a wall to the other side. the car should be parked on the road.

yes ltemplar if you could do the rocks too that would be great smile

don't forget some mutated plants as well for the objective please.

Last edited by Samer (09/21/13 11:09)

#25 09/21/13 15:09

ltemplar

Aghh.....

It seams that I have again this problem when exporting levels(or anything regarding to collada files) .

I try export my test apartment level(one room) without success(again).Can somebody take a look, to determinate what's wrong with that level(or what I'm doing wrong).

here is the link to this level(note this is BNV, TEXTURES and ENV only , not full level)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pwx2a … es_bnv.rar

Last edited by ltemplar (09/21/13 15:09)

Board footer