Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/15/13 10:09

Striker

My friend plays Oni for the first time

Hello, friends.

Remember that time when I attempted and horribly failed at doing an Oni 'Let's Play'? Of course you don't.
Anyway, I have finally managed to convince one of my good friends to try Oni, and guess what? He's actually competent enough to do a full Let's Play. He will be playing the latest version of Anniversary Edition (version Seven) on medium difficulty with the following modifications installed:

• Better Weapons

• Blood

• Brutal AI

• Brutal Konoko

• Dashing AI

• Fixed Moves

• HD Screens

• Jewel Fix

• Ninja Shadow Dash

He has never played this game before, so I think it will be amusing for all of you to see how well he performs and what he thinks of the game. I will be updating this thread periodically with new episodes. Also, forgot to mention, his videos are in 1080p!

Episode 0: Combat Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDsvsPG1_Y
Episode 1: Syndicate Warehouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXpl8bkv1o
Episode 2: Manufacturing Plant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v028EZ44Rc8
Episode 2: Bio-Research Lab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4eUSohotE

If you have any suggestions, such as any other mods that he should install and try, or perhaps even what other games he should Let's Play in the future, send him a message on YouTube or post in this thread, and I'll make sure he sees it.
If you like his videos, help him out by rating, commenting and subscribing to his channel. Enjoy!

Last edited by Striker (09/24/13 15:09)

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#2 09/15/13 13:09

Lithium

Re: My friend plays Oni for the first time

Yeah I remember it, I was disappointed you stopped as I enjoyed it and you did a good amount of editing to keep it interesting.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 09/15/13 14:09

uroboros

Watched ep2. Not going to lie, I enjoyed watching it.

I think it will be amusing for all of you to see how well he performs and what he thinks of the game.

Also I'm an evil person I found it entertaining to see how he's getting lost in this level. I was doing the same thing when I've first played level 2 big_smile

Last edited by uroboros (09/15/13 15:09)

#4 09/15/13 14:09

tens

Well i did a walkthrough in Hard, with a whole ton of mods installed. Including Brutal AI, as well as HD screens. Sadly i didn't see Samer's mod and it wasn't included in the first half of the videos, the videos are all fine and dandy(maybe :\) but has no voice over it. Which i regret kinda big time, you people would laugh your ass off at me screaming like a frigging girl while literally living with the legendary speck of hp and such.

I enjoyed the video's your friend's done. It was fun to watch smile, if he's trying to get more views and such, ask him to enjoy the games he's playing! smile. tongue.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#5 09/15/13 15:09

StealthyCactus!

tens wrote:

I enjoyed the video's your friend's done. It was fun to watch smile, if he's trying to get more views and such, ask him to enjoy the games he's playing! smile. tongue.

I definitely am enjoying Oni a lot, all the funny quirks the game has (like the character drawings and faces) just make it even better!

Does anyone know how i can fix the issue with all of the moves being unlocked right from the start?

#6 09/15/13 17:09

Samer
Website

character retexture and level textures and HD Konoko and HD griffin and HD muro ... so at least it looks like it's new.
also there's no need to install both brutal AI and brutal konoko... brutal ai already includes brutal konoko.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#7 09/15/13 20:09

Striker

Samer wrote:

character retexture and level textures and HD Konoko and HD griffin and HD muro ... so at least it looks like it's new.
also there's no need to install both brutal AI and brutal konoko... brutal ai already includes brutal konoko.

I specifically requested StealthyCactus not to install any HD modifications so that he can get a feel for the original art style of the game. I only told him the install the mods that would either increase the difficulty of the game to give him a challenge or to fix bugs that were present in the vanilla.

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#8 09/16/13 09:09

tens

And a core mod of the AE7 is "Unlock all moves" so.. yeah..Idk, how to disable it. I did the walkthrough with over 38 mods installed, every single game enhancer.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#9 09/16/13 21:09

Samer
Website

i don't think the old ugly textures are what give the game it's "style" i realize you're not a fan of new textures as you've pointed out before but at least you can offer them to him and see if he likes\prefers them instead of specifically telling him don't install them. imo. since these will be the most visually obvious changes to the original game and can attract the attention of old users. Really, they won't notice that the striker blocks more, but they will surely notice an HD konoko model and get intrigued to see what new mods the AE has to to offer thus benefiting the community.

Last edited by Samer (09/16/13 21:09)

#10 09/16/13 22:09

Striker

Samer wrote:

i don't think the old ugly textures are what give the game it's "style" i realize you're not a fan of new textures as you've pointed out before but at least you can offer them to him and see if he likes\prefers them instead of specifically telling him don't install them. imo. since these will be the most visually obvious changes to the original game and can attract the attention of old users. Really, they won't notice that the striker blocks more, but they will surely notice an HD konoko model and get intrigued to see what new mods the AE has to to offer thus benefiting the community.

He has a forum account here now, so I'll just tell him to read your post and let him decide for himself.

#11 09/16/13 22:09

StealthyCactus!

Samer wrote:

While i will be trying HD mod packs and the like, i will wait until i beat the game, so far im trying to keep the game as close to original as possible to get the most core feel for the game before i juice it up with all the great content there is available!

#12 09/17/13 02:09

Samer
Website

okay then smile enjoy Oni !

#13 09/17/13 12:09

Lithium

That seems fairly understandable. Enjoy.

#14 09/20/13 06:09

Iritscen

StealthyCactus! wrote:

Does anyone know how i can fix the issue with all of the moves being unlocked right from the start?

Late response: I suggested a cheap way to fool the AEI here.

I suppose someone could make a mod that cancels out the effect of the core move unlocking and call it Re-lock Learned Moves or something.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#15 09/21/13 21:09

Striker

I'm posting this on behalf of StealthyCactus, because for some reason he isn't allowed to post links on the forum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYGklN8_Zco

#16 09/21/13 22:09

Iritscen

Sorry, he'll be able to once he makes 10 posts (I think).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#17 09/22/13 01:09

StealthyCactus!

I was wondering why i could post links  big_smile

#18 09/22/13 01:09

Lithium

Still new so links are disabled, it's to combat spam bots

#19 09/22/13 07:09

uroboros

dafuq. Never experienced striker comfortably lying on the floor before. And I've played oni a lot. You are lucky.
Similarly with tctf guy who defeated striker with plasma rifle in your level 2 video. That is also rare.

Last edited by uroboros (09/22/13 07:09)

#20 09/22/13 10:09

Striker

uroboros wrote:

dafuq. Never experienced striker comfortably lying on the floor before. And I've played oni a lot. You are lucky.
Similarly with tctf guy who defeated striker with plasma rifle in your level 2 video. That is also rare.

Yeah, I was very surprised to see the TCTF guy alive and the plasma rifle striker dead. That has happened to me on very rare occasions, but I've also played every single level of the game hundreds of times, so that was to be expected. There are several points in the game where some rare things might happen. In the training level, for example, Karen, the girl practicing combat with the two droids in the first room, might get defeated. There are also times where if you are quick enough, you can save some friendlies and innocents that were scripted to die in combat.

However, most of the time I've played was the regular vanilla Oni, no mods. The improved AI could have had some mpact on the behavior of enemies, which could explain the strange lying striker.

#21 09/22/13 10:09

StealthyCactus!

I felt this was necessary...
9litUR4.png

#22 09/22/13 14:09

tens

The guy be chilling.. and got pissed you interrupted him Or he was tryna impress that beauty beside him xD. *Shrugs while laughin tongue*

#23 09/24/13 15:09

Striker

New video is out (mission 3), check it out in the OP.

#24 09/25/13 06:09

tens

2 episode 2s.. tongue cool. big_smile

#25 09/25/13 08:09

uroboros

Cool video. Some intense moments there.

You should try oni without brutal ai installed and check which version of enemies you prefer: vanilla or modded.
Brutal ai is great, but I think it was created for players who already learned exactly how to deal with default enemies.

Board footer