Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/06/13 20:09

EdT
Website

Island level

island_level.jpg

This is a proof of concept nature level for Oni.  It shows the possibilities and limitations of the Oni engine in dealing with organic shapes.  Trees or vegetations need to be a low polygon count.  Collision does not work well with angled vertical surfaces, at times you can walk through the cliffs or fall through the ground.  AIs may have pathfinding issues.

The objective of this level is to search the island for the hidden treasure chest.  Once it is found, 2 savepoints will be unlocked.  Save Point 1: Oni Team Arena, Save Point 2: Oni Zen Garden.

If someone wants to add more scripts to this level, please do so.

Samer: I don't know if this level will work for your wilderness preserve level, or creating a new level from scratch might be better.

Have fun, remember this level has flaws, but it is a start.

You can download it through AE Installer 2 or manually from: http://mods.oni2.net/node/297

It uses level 29 and should be automatically available if installed through AE Installer 2

#2 09/06/13 22:09

Knox

Re: Island level

Words escape me. This looks promising smile

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#3 09/07/13 08:09

s10k
Website

Played the level. I really liked it, feels much different from what we are used to.

I was surprised to encounter enemies! I thought it only had the map itself. Loved the enemies btw.

I also found the chest, was a little hard to find but finally found it. Great work!  big_smile

#4 09/07/13 10:09

EdT
Website

s10k: Glad you enjoyed it.  Hopefully, you have time to create a new script for the island smile

#5 09/07/13 11:09

s10k
Website

I'm very busy right now. I need to finish my dissertation until the half of next month. Hopefully I will present some good news to Oni community after that. smile

Last edited by s10k (09/07/13 11:09)

#6 09/07/13 11:09

Iritscen

Looks cool, I'm hoping to try it soon.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 09/07/13 18:09

Samer
Website

very nice EdT you never cease to surprise us smile
I faced some of the issues you mentioned, (the walking through cliffs and falling through ground most prominently ... those island natives sure knew how to build booby traps tongue).

The level itself was huge ! and it's always nice to see konoko with natural elements ^_^. (I may try to improve the water texture a bit.)
As a script suggestion ... why have only 1 treasure chest when you can have several hidden ones throughout the island big_smile (because when i found it there was still many areas i didn't explore)

There was a weird bug though in the OZG ... for some reason only certain characters stood still when spawned : casey, hayate, jester(s), hanako, sarai, hammer .. while other custom and vanilla characters worked fine (bgi robots, motoko ...). so I don't understand how come some characters faced pathfinding issues and not all ? could their ONCC be missing something that allows them to recognize those uneven grids ? or maybe something in the ozg script was accidentally changed.

for the natural preserve level .. I had something more linear in mind (smaller and less room for free exploration).
If you feel like making more levels ... i can draw some detailed sketch \ map of the level and you handle making the geometry and I'll continue the rest (like fightclub) if you like.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#8 09/07/13 20:09

EdT
Website

Samer: I thought I used the BinaChar and script from the Junkyard OZG, hopefully you can debug the OZG issue. 

This was a proof of concept model, so I didn't want to spend too much time on it.

If you can draw what you want the level to look like, I can try to make the geometry.  Or this would be a good opportunity for you to try making level models smile  Now remember we can't have lots of trees and bushes in a single area, that will overload Oni's engine, so no dense jungle areas.

#9 09/08/13 09:09

ltemplar

Hmm... interesting concept.
My advise. To avoid problems with collisions, you can add special invisible boxes around problematic shapes , like thous seen in tctf level(garage part). The same goes for cliff part. Just add simple shape that will be your collision marker , so even if character fall trough by to much rounded shape, it will definitely stop on the simple one.That trick is used by many old games , so it should work for ONI too.

I'm still busy with NEP and real stuff right now. But after that expect a lot of updates to my projects.
Till then.

Ltemplar.

#10 09/14/13 10:09

EdT
Website

ltemplar: Thanks for the advice.  When you have time, can you create some low poly trees and or vegetation for Oni?  I want to avoid the use of transparent textures for the leaves, too many of them causes issues with the Oni engine.  I'll need them for Samer's wilderness level smile

#11 09/15/13 14:09

ltemplar

Could you be more precise here? I don't fully get what's problem you have with low poly trees, and what you need me to create.
Option 1) low polygon trees with transparent leafs?
Option 2)Trees where leafs are created as low polygonal objects(but then they become rather hi-poly one - not to  mention that they will look ugly).

So with option?
Btw. EdT if I ever(probably in 3-4 moths or so) finish my test BGI level ..can I send you the 3d data(characters too -  prepared for export- so no extra work is needed probably..)? It seams that I've huge problems when comes to exporting something connected with collada data to oni(except weapons- thous are obj). The same goes for animations. I've done a lot of moves(attacks, weapons holstering, etc) , but i can't import them sad .

Last edited by ltemplar (09/15/13 14:09)

#12 09/15/13 21:09

EdT
Website

ltemplar: I was hoping you could figure out how to make low polygon trees without transparent textures for the leafs.  There is a limit of the number of polygons that can visible in Oni at one time (8,192).  Limit for transparent textures is 2,049 at one time.  Also, there is an issue with back-face culling using transparent textures.  I suppose since we are dealing with the time of Oni, the trees could look deformed or damaged smile

I will be glad to help you with the BGI level.

#13 09/15/13 21:09

Iritscen

It's hard to see how trees will be doable without transparent textures, unless we're talking about deciduous trees in winter wink

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#14 09/16/13 16:09

ltemplar

EdT:If we're talking about oni time line, then it can be even more complicated in some cases. Mutated trees, brushes(without leafs) etc, can be done quite easily, but only when I get full documentation about what plants/traps you plan to add, and what player will be doing there(survival..maybe)?
This is how I think this level can be done:

a)Level construction:
-I can't somehow imagine, that we'll be able to create full open level with all thous limitations that oni engine have. Just cunt how much objects you will need to put there to get the effect(with full freedom).
-In my opinion such level should be created as labyrinth(with few paths, and cross roads) , where player must figure out where to go to avoid traps(the "walls" will be a mix of polygonal objects, and nice looking background textures showing the "nature" in full glory).

b)Ideas:
-The traps can be created as specially modified turrets where "lasers" are special points(tentacles for example), so when character touch them the "tree/brush" is starting to shoot them(spikes).
-There should be also traps based on poisonous gases and others more "pleasant" things added by humanity(proximity mines for example).
-I don't think that thous limitations allow us to add animals into thous levels(not to mention who will create, texture, animate - i can , but somebody other will be "forced" to export them- then, create AI(loser maybe) etc), but this also can be a nice touch.
-If you plan to add some BGI/SYNDICATE/TCTF patrols along the way, then the best will be to put them in some kind of "kill zones" to avoid situations with limited AI and traps system(or maybe there is a plan that player use nature to his benefit?)

c)Questions:
-Are you plan to add any environmental suits/vehicles to thous levels?
-The level will be cut into parts(separate levels) or this will be a stand alone one?

So till I get what you really need(plan for the level will be the best) I can't do anything constructive sad .
BTW. I think that nice looking "fresh" grass will be rather a effect killer for devastated by humanity "natural preserves" , but thats only my opinion ]:D .

Last edited by ltemplar (09/16/13 16:09)

#15 09/16/13 21:09

Samer
Website

response and further discussion of the natural preserve level http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 228#p47228 since this thread is about EdT's island level.

#16 05/18/14 05:05

Saijan

Any one sen me island level video please smile

#17 05/18/14 09:05

Samer
Website

as i told you on facebook ... there isn't a video for it

#18 08/06/14 13:08

Mri Bay

just played it

jesus the times i fell through the rocks! big_smile
very well done, not many enemies though.

did anyone else feel like it was the silent cartographer level from halo?? reminded me of that straight away.
and playing with the masterchief skin amplified that feeling

anyway well done smile

>implying i like oni

#19 08/06/14 14:08

paradox-01

Busted. big_smile

#20 08/15/14 09:08

Tracker

I have recorded a sample video for the Island level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUm30n4 … FIAR8pwHkQ