Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/06/13 15:07

EdT
Website

City Level Part 1 - Released July 12 2013

The first part of the City has been released, this section has the buildings from the Rooftop level.  My concept for the City package is that it will be a standalone model of the City, that I can modify and update over time.  The size of the model is the maximum size allowed in the Oni world, though I can still go below ground to a depths of 400 meters and above the ground 400 meters.  So roughly Oni's world is 400 meters in any direction from the center location of 0,0,0.

The add-on packages will allow the modder to create scenarios for the city.  The modder can modify the BSL, characters, flag location, trigger volumes, powerup and weapon locations, patrol paths, sounds and particles from the add-on.

motoko_city.jpg

City Parkour Add-on
It is designed so that you can start from the ground and parkour your way up to Mukade's final battle location.  Once you complete the course, you will start a run battle across the rooftops.  In Normal Mode, you will fight against the Syndicate, in Hard Mode you will fight against Custom Characters. 

As a bonus, enter fai in the console, then you can play as Faith from Mirror's Edge. (Note: The model is not perfect, there are still flaws with the model, but that was the best I could do with it)

Install the packages through AE Installer.
81000 City
81001 City Parkour

I plan on releasing the city model in parts.  Once, I finish this section, I will release the level, then start working on the next section.

Last edited by EdT (07/13/13 09:07)

#2 07/07/13 08:07

6opoDuJIo

Re: City Level Part 1 - Released July 12 2013

Moar shots, please.

Implement Oni with Unity3D engine :
https://github.com/6opoDuJIo/Oni-Round2

#3 07/07/13 22:07

EdT
Website

Another shot:

faith_city.jpg

#4 07/07/13 23:07

Knox

The city is extremely well designed.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#5 07/10/13 12:07

tens

Woah, amazing!

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#6 07/12/13 18:07

EdT
Website

Part 1 of the City level has been released!

#7 07/12/13 21:07

Knox

Kick ass!

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#8 07/13/13 03:07

ltemplar

Nice Job EdT.
So what's the final polygon count for this level(and final number of used materials/textures)?

What's regards the Faith character...Did you used the normal maps on her(she looks almost like in Mirror's Edge), or this effect is created by HD resolution textures only(or maybe mix of both)?It's Important Question , because this will determine how I'll create the textures for the new HD TCTF.

#9 07/13/13 08:07

uroboros

New level = win big_smile

Had much fun with the parkour, it adds variety to standard oni gameplay.
And by looking of the unused space of the level I imagine its going to be a really huge map. Btw buildings painted at the skybox are surprisingly realistic.

Suggestions: (Level is very nice but for some reason I always need to criticize stuff  xD)
-Parkour works well in this level, maybe more buildings could be parkour friendly (I don't know how much time would it take hmm )
-Maybe last jump could be easier, because I didn't enjoy failing at the end to repeat the whole run.
-More detail at the streets? some trashcans benches etc (polycount might be a problem there though)
-No timer? I enjoy free roaming and searching for the right path without the stress.
-The ramp leading to the commercial banner could have different texture because its barely visible (not really an important thing xD)

Last edited by uroboros (07/13/13 08:07)

#10 07/13/13 09:07

EdT
Website

Glad you are enjoying the level, I had fun making it.

Itemplar: Polygon count is around 55,000, textures over 70 different ones.  Now I have to apologize, I was wrong about the maximum number of polygons in a level, according to this page: http://wiki.oni2.net/XML:ONLV, maximum limit is 520,000 polygons.  When I first started making levels, I often encountered the issue of "Exceeded max visible GQs number" error in Oni.  When I lowered the polygon count, that message went away, that's why I thought the limit was less than 90,000.

Regarding Faith, I used the HD textures that came with the model, though I scaled them down to 256x256. 

Looking forward to your model.

uroboros: Thanks for the suggestions, I know that last jump is a killer, I mess up there a lot too smile  You can edit the BSL to disable the timer.  Over time, I can try to add more detail to the level.  Though my current plan is to fill up the rest of the empty spaces big_smile  BTW, how is your level making coming along?  If you have any questions feel free to ask, though, it would be better to start a new thread focusing on the issues with your model.

#11 07/13/13 15:07

uroboros

EdT wrote:

BTW, how is your level making coming along?  If you have any questions feel free to ask, though, it would be better to start a new thread focusing on the issues with your model.

Unfortunately I gave up with it. <- WEAK

#12 07/20/13 14:07

Loser

Insane amount of work EdT, hands down. The way you blended Rooftops level into your City is nice. Keep 'em coming with other city quarters!

However, I have noticed some quads disappear if viewed from a certain angle. For example big screens with man in blue suit.
Also, I worry about pathfinding grids, as I have noticed several times AI2 characters trying to run into inner rails on U-turn staircases.

Finally, your custom mission on HARD (using Samer's characters) is not a challenge, but a chore. To deal several times with characters who have riddiculous amount of health, unblockable wide area attacks and particle powered attacks (means unblockable yet again), that is not what would one call a fun.

I was able to get up to the Sarai and cut her health down to 70% ~ 60% (just an estimation from hit flashes' color), however she was the one character to finally finish me off with several insanely-large-area-covering-homing-pidgeon-heavy-damaging-and-unblockable-plus-of-course-completely-melee-invulnerable kick heavy attacks of her, while taking rich punishment in return, but shrugging it off thanks to her high health.

Pretty please, consider lowering health of Samer's custom characters to make the HARD mode better balanced.

Last edited by Loser (07/20/13 14:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#13 07/20/13 15:07

EdT
Website

Loser: Thanks for the feedback, not sure about the pathfinding grids, I used the bnvs and ghosts from the Rooftops' level.

BTW, please check your email, I had a request.

#14 07/20/13 15:07

Samer
Website

I was able to finish off the characters and enjoyed doing so ^_^ i wished the fights were longer ^_^
about health in the original game: barabas has about 600 health pts, mukade about 400 pts and muro about 500-600 (with the Updated ONCCs mod it's more)
none of these characters has more health than the original bosses most of them are in the 300s or 200s. (except hammer at 625 and sarai at 400 equivalent to Barabas and Muro)
and sarai's attacks all were balanced before once you suggested it, and her heavy kick is used only from a distance also following ur advice in the melee profile.
besides hammer and jester's heavy kick no character has a "wide area unblockable attack" and both have low weight, high delay and pause in the melee profile. I feel what you keep forgetting is they are bosses not strikers or tankers and are supposed to bring new attacks to the table, this means that yes some super moves are going to be unblockable that's why they're super moves, imo we don't need to simplify every character and make it vulnerable to the same old tricks of punch, throw, lariat, jumpflip that work on every character.
I'll make a video showing how sarai can be beaten with correct timing and dodging soon. without as much spamming as tens's video tongue

Last edited by Samer (07/20/13 16:07)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#15 07/22/13 16:07

Loser

Just finished the custom mission on HARD. The point still stays valid - from my perspective, characters should have less HP.
Common health for Samer's character in EdT's City mission is over 300 HP, with BGI robot ("Hammer"?) featuring over 600 HP.
In my opinion such high values of HP make sense for SkullTeam members (so their regenerative abilities can kick in pretty soon to affect the flow of the fight) and for the Hammer, since he looks like a mean meat mangling machine ^_^.

Samer, trust me your characters can hold their ground well enough. When they are used as bosses, be it, let them have high HP, no objections from me. But here in EdT's mission, when they are lined one after another, they in my opinion don't need that much HP to compensate for silly AI2 or to pose as a "final challenge". Let's leave such a feat (beefed HP) to vanilla crew....and for bossfights  cool

Current HP levels:

• RegenComguy: 312

• Jester: 375

• Motoko: 312

• Casey: 331

• Hayate: 375

• ShinBot: 250

• Hanako: 312

• RegenFury: 269

• GoldenTCTF: 238

• RegenTanker: 344

• Hammer: 625

• Sarai: 438

Suggested HP levels and a short comments. JUST AN OPINION, of course it is up to EdT (mission designer) and you Samer (character creator) to decide:

• RegenComguy: 350, to show the regeneration

• Jester: 250, coming after Regen enemy, let this one appear a bit easier

• Motoko: 275, no comment

• Casey: 250, elite cop, but nothing more

• Hayate: 300, ninja guy

• ShinBot: 250, no comment

• Hanako: 250, ninja gal

• RegenFury: 300, to show the regeneration

• GoldenTCTF: 250, again ease a bit for a while

• RegenTanker: 350, to show the regeneration

• Hammer: 400, good enough to still mincemeat anything with his PAR3 powered attacks

• Sarai: 300, her strength should be her agility, not tons of HP

All in all, I had the fun, be it from EdT's level design or from Samer's tricky custom characters. And that's what matters ^_^. Thanks, both of you.

Last edited by Loser (07/22/13 16:07)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#16 07/23/13 08:07

EdT
Website

That's the purpose of this City level project, to have fun big_smile

Loser, Samer or anyone else, feel free to modify, improve the City Parkour package.  If it is a big change, then make it a different package.  I would like to see others try their hand at level or gameplay modding.

#17 08/13/13 16:08

Coyote

Hello, long time no see. There's so much new stuff here. Thank you guys again, amazing work as usual. My Oni copy is still running ^^. Anyway, about this mod, I really like it though I haven't finished it yet. I played on hard difficulty and I'm stuck at fight with Motoko. Isn't she overpowered a little bit? I'm talking about her blocking abilities. She blocks almost every single attack and I can't proceed further hmm. And I'm so curious about what are the other enemies past her smile

edited:
Nevermind. I shapeshifted to Motoko and beat everyone's ass. Still, she's overpowered.

Last edited by Coyote (08/13/13 17:08)

Does your blood burn when you kill? Mine does

#18 09/01/13 12:09

Samer
Website

This is my run at the parkour challenge ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM3D_t_G1y0   (Thanks again EdT for the fun level)
I lost some time in my run, so the challenge is still open for someone to claim a better time smile

#19 09/01/13 23:09

EdT
Website

Samer: I'm glad you are enjoying the level.

#20 09/02/13 13:09

Samer
Website

I beat my previous time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXw5jt3 … e=youtu.be
I encourage you guys to try this mod and share your best score.

#21 01/19/14 13:01

Samer
Website

Ed big_smile I know I've consumed your modding time these past months, but just wondering do you still plan on making part 2 of this great level ?
And what happened to the level you were showing screenshots of with the blackops caren ?

#22 01/19/14 14:01

EdT
Website

errr... after seeing the Wilderness level, I don't know big_smile

I will probably continue to make the level itself, but leave the scripting and gameplay ideas to someone else.

One problem, I have several models that can be added to the city level, but making the BNV for the city is difficult.

#23 07/24/14 18:07

Samer
Website

any new ideas Ed big_smile ? missed your creations

#24 07/24/14 19:07

DC

The level looks great big_smile imagine the things I could do on this level. Oh and all of the tankers super moves are unblockable, only the blockbuster can be cancelled out

#25 07/24/14 21:07

EdT
Website

Samer: I started to add TCTF headquarters to the City level a couple of months back.  But I have to use ModTools to edit the model, since Sketchup will not import the model without messing up the textures.  Maybe someday I'll finish it.

City_tctf.jpg

Board footer