You are not logged in.

#126 11/01/12 05:11

s10k
Website

Re: Oni_Dark Future_TC

ltemplar wrote:

well my latest work (not ready yet)

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/2713/updateonkonoko.jpg

And something I'm working on...(with geyser)

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/7498/wiref … hrside.jpg

That cell-shading konoko model looks great.

The other image looks like another level.

Last edited by s10k (11/01/12 05:11)

#127 01/05/13 07:01

Samer
Website

Just wondering if there's any new progress on the BGI level / apartment you were making or on any of the characters u were making .. Armored tctf, and the other tctf mecha, female ninjas, konoko's scout outfit, the tctf snipers etc ...

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#128 01/05/13 08:01

ltemplar

There are.

I also have done the BGI Droop ship.
The levels will change probably. at some point..but not drastically (still don't know many things yet..and thous will be connected to particular graphics and design styles)
For example one from many ideas is to place BGI hq underground ..but I don't want spoil to much so players will be somehow nicely surprised by thous things.
The apartment will be done too, but will look different. The actual its to small (as test shows) to create nice encounter on the oni engine(read to many problems with camera / h2h glitches etc).
I'm now experimenting with different graphical styles and light maps for levels(from cartoon like to more realistic).

Last edited by ltemplar (01/05/13 08:01)

#129 03/02/13 03:03

Samer
Website

ltemplar may I use your w47_ra model ?

edit: sorry never mind .. used something else instead

Last edited by Samer (03/02/13 04:03)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#130 03/02/13 08:03

ltemplar

As I wrote at the begging of the topic about copyright issue:

All models, textures , weapons, etc are free to use.

Last edited by ltemplar (03/02/13 08:03)

#131 06/13/13 15:06

EdT
Website

1)So to big texture size produces slowdowns? That's not an optimistic thing to hear. Farewell the easy shadow map creation method....hlip.So only way to get this effect is to use vertex color tool?That's bad
Not to mention this tiny fact that only 2-3 textures in HD per char will be a lot easier to produce than 12.
2)So if I use 2 lods instead of one then this bufer overflow+slowdown thing will not happen? Or I get something wrong.

Just continuing the discussion on your thread.

1) According to Samer's post, PC users are not affected by 512x512 textures, in that case, go ahead and use the large textures. It will be cool to see your shadow map creation.  If needed we can always reduce the size of the textures as a Mac only option.
2) Regarding the lod and buffer overflow issue:

Samer wrote:

Even with the updated hd konoko that was given lower lods, i still get buffer overflow when she does rising fury punch while wearing a forcefield or phase cloak near other hd models or particles .. Example i get it near lasers or the fog .. So avoid giving it any moves with motion blur as well.

#132 06/13/13 19:06

ltemplar

1) According to Samer's post, PC users are not affected by 512x512 textures, in that case, go ahead and use the large textures. It will be cool to see your shadow map creation.  If needed we can always reduce the size of the textures as a Mac only option.

1)Heh..Some time ago i even had discussion witch Geyser about it, and we were talking about possibility, to use even larger resolution for textures than 512x512 px (1024x1024 px for example). BUt if this will have such huge impact on the performance for Mac users . then probably it's better to wait for the new engine or a serious upgrade to the existing one.

2)But what's the limit for number of polygons that can be used for one non main char(6k, 7k)? For example I plan to do (even started) a huge graphical upgrade for TCTF and sindicate(both models and textures), but if thous errors will still happen then maybe that's a bad idea to do it in the first place. What do you think?Worth the risk or not?

Ltemplar.

#133 06/13/13 20:06

EdT
Website

1) Honestly, I say go for the 512x512 textures, it could simply be my machine.  Funny thing, the Mac version of Oni can handle 1024x1024 textures, perhaps this can be something that can be fixed on the PC.

2) My suggestion make one HD character (model and texture) and test it on your machine. Spawn several copies of the model and see what happens.  You could also allow a couple of others to test it on their machines, if you don't want to make a public release of the first model.

My thinking (correct me if I'm wrong) is that if you make a HD model and texture, it is easier to convert it to lower quality than going from low to high.  I believe VR made his textures at 1024x1024, then scaled them to 512x512.

So why not take the risk and see how far we can push Oni's engine smile

#134 09/22/13 20:09

EdT
Website

I was able to texture the walls, floor and ceiling, so it was easier visually to move through the room.

I spawned an AI in your test level and the AI managed fairly well in the tight quarters.  Though sometimes it would get stuck and could not follow me.

One thing that bothered me was that most of the time, the camera is showing the scene through a wall or furniture.
Also, the ceiling is a bit low 3.14m, so when Konoko jumps up she collides with the ceiling.

I would be interested in seeing how shadow maps work in Oni.

#135 09/23/13 04:09

ltemplar

Well.. i found the alternative for shadow mapping: - pre-rendering light and shadows into texture - but this method is time consuming and it's require huge number of textures, because every single objects need different texture. The other difficulty is the texture resolution required (512x512 is absolute minimum), to show it right. The advantage of it is that there is no increase in the polygon part, so more advanced object can be added ..without impacting the border of maximum rendered polygons by the oni engine.
We can also create them like the original creators did , using vertex lighting. However this produce the most ugly looking light and shadows cast compared to thous two mentioned earlier.

I will show here test levels done by each technique, so we can decide with one will be the best.(I also plan to add one of thous technique to the trees/rocks/etc too)
Ah yes , before i forgot..How I can mark the decals in the level env.(or any material), or show semi transparent maps/textures?

#136 09/23/13 09:09

EdT
Website

Regarding the baking of light and shadows, do you mean each texture is 512x512?  So then, you have possibly hundreds of 512x512 textures used in the level model?  Or is the 512x512 texture broken into smaller pieces?

In the master file you can add properties to a specific texture: http://wiki.oni2.net/XML:ONLV#.3CTextures.3E

#137 09/23/13 12:09

ltemplar

-It depends on the resolution we want to produce. For example 512x512 texture can be rendered on few objects not only one (furnitures).The real problems starts when we are talking about huge open spaces. Then to hold information for brick like texture, and nice looking shadows , we need use huge resolution texture(2000+) or divide object to smaller one (512x512) so in the end we will add some polygons, but not as much as when we use shadow map.
Example is here: http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_d … kAkluWcxoY
-Shadow maps are like I said before additional layer of coordinates for the object(with different uvw) , where we can bake s&l. The better texture resolution the better end result. The perfect example can be seen in the Max Pyne. But have in mind that ONI can't have additional layer of UVW maps (like max pyne) where we can put thous shadows. So the only way how we can mimic this is doubling the number of polygons.
-The last is vertex lighting. where s&l are added when we color vertex creating each surface.The end result we all can see in the oni game.This method to look correctly needs a lot of vertex....and all surface(ceiling floor)  need to be cut where walls/doors/etc starts.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/23/13 12:09)

#138 09/23/13 17:09

EdT
Website

Well, I look forward to see the results of your testing. smile

#139 09/24/13 09:09

ltemplar

Ok. i will, But this time it will be my new apartment(the old one is to tight..and the ceiling is to low - as you were able to check by yourself).
I will add some trees\rocks too, so you will be able to pick them.

Last edited by ltemplar (09/24/13 09:09)

#140 11/30/13 20:11

ltemplar

Hello.

My latest work

Mobile armor mk4 (heavy version)

Hp 800
sh none

Planed:
Weapons (one main weapon (heavy plasma gun, laser gun or motion weave cannon)
Secondary (mini gun (close combat) electric cannon(close combat) shock fist (something like Barabbas earthquake , but doing electric discharge instead)
Secondary 2 (guide rockets)

Tri 5600
no UVW yet.

1wx4.jpg
ennm.jpg

Tell me what you think.

#141 11/30/13 22:11

EdT
Website

Looks mean!  It will be fun to see it in action.

#142 12/01/13 00:12

Knox

Konoko + Mech Suit = Brain overload.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#143 12/01/13 07:12

uroboros

mech armor? thats something new in game. It should work well with oni modular character system.

What is good at this model is realistic position of the mech pilot. You could remove some armor parts to show konoko inside it.

smth like this
http://legacy.the-junkyard.net/images/c … lHeavy.jpg

#144 12/01/13 09:12

Iritscen

Hmm, very interesting!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#145 12/01/13 17:12

ltemplar

thanks.

"You could remove some armor parts to show konoko inside it.

smth like this"

eee... no... What I try to do is to make mobile armors You know.....armored. This mean without visible critical spots that can be targeted, and not some fancy suit with metal sheet on it.

This is firs from the new genere of the mobile armors I'm working on(also improving the old ones)
Honestly I try to remake everything I have, which is not looking good enough, before I release the v0.5 of oni ODF_TC. This mean
-TCTF snipers , TCTF Swat team , TCTF regular , TCTF black ops TCTF armored division , TCTF black ops phoenix squad(ups... spoil to much already), and many other things
Syndicate forces will also get some nasty upgrades ]:D .

I also plan to recreate some part of the levels and reorganize TCTF/Syndicate force structures.

So stay tuned.

Last edited by ltemplar (12/01/13 17:12)

#146 01/19/14 13:01

EdT
Website

Itemplar: The limitations of the Oni engine as mentioned before are the number of polygons are visible at one time, number of transparent polygons.  Issue of back face culling if you view one transparent object through another.  Collision issues with organic shapes, sometimes you collide with them other times you don't.  The environment cannot be made from densely packed triangles, because of the limit of visible polygons.

Anyways, Wilderness level is done, so time to move on to your level smile

I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.

#147 01/19/14 13:01

ltemplar

I proposed a solution in the Wilderness level topic , so maybe We will remove this problem forever. The solution is rather not a new one however , because it's used for example in Oblivion , and any other moderate game , where the trigger volume is changed into player visible volume , and this process is calculated automatically by game engine.

BTW. most of thous problems experienced in level creation(missing geometry) is caused by filed of view , which was a lot shorter in the original oni
I also see no execution in any design of the LOD (Level of detail) , with is crucial for good graphics even in more advanced game engines (even todays title use this method to increase in game performance)

What regards my level. If you wiling to help then we can start from upgrading thous I showed you earlier via e-mail.
So with one you are interested in:

-Konoko apartment
-Underground research facility
-1997 intro
-Harbor area
-BGI level (this one is well.... done only in 30% (I mean geometry/texturing part) - but I think,this one should be full community effort (not only mine or yours but others too)

I will also take any help regarding characters animation creation (still I have problems when it's coming to thous - especially exporting as you probably was able to see by yourself)

BTW. if you desire any other animation just give me the hint and i will create them.

#148 01/19/14 14:01

paradox-01

"and any other moderate game , where the trigger volume is changed into player visible volume"

Good luck with that one. I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm pretty sure the load of extra work will freak one out. wink

#149 01/19/14 14:01

ltemplar

If you can change music by adding trier volume , i think making group of objects appear disappear when player enter specified cage will not be that hard - but more test are required to prove or disprove this statement. Hard to tell how the BNV will behave after this though, but well.. it's possibility right?

Last edited by ltemplar (01/19/14 14:01)

#150 01/19/14 14:01

EdT
Website

Well, this is your level so tell me, the community, what you want to do and we will go from there.

Board footer