Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/22/13 21:05

Valkyrur

PlayStation 4 Appreciation Station V. "4 > One"

Well, shall we? Thoughts on how miserably the Xbox One is going to crash and burn, making way for yet another Sony monopoly this gen following the Fifth and Sixth gen?

iBUYdpQiNA1cP.gif

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#2 05/22/13 23:05

Lithium

Re: PlayStation 4 Appreciation Station V. "4 > One"

The Xbox one is going to be the biggest piece of shit since the Virtual Boy.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 05/23/13 00:05

Valkyrur

Obligatory:

2ZeuT.jpg

Anyway, I know some people more into the business aspect of things who are grasping at straws to justify how the TV Box One is going away from gaming. Apparently the gamer demographic "Stopped being profitable" and that entertainment focus is where it's at.

I don't know about her, but the gamer demographic is what put the Xbox where it was in the first place. I know very few who have an Xbox for things a substantially cheaper Blu Ray player could do. Gaming is what put the Xbox where it is, and abandoning it is going to be its downfall. Hell, the irony is, the PS4 will probably do all the entertainment stuff as well, and better. Microsoft is making the same mistake Sony made with the PS3 early on; Thinking brand power alone can carry them.

Mentlegen, prepare for yet another generation of Sony dominance following in the footsteps of the PSX and PS2.

Also, I shit you not, that "Halo live action series" will be all over Pirate Bay within the hour of it showing. Definitely not going to be much of an ace in the hole for the TV Box One.

Last edited by Valkyrur (05/23/13 00:05)

#4 05/23/13 00:05

Lithium

PC master race

Also XBOX had this generation won over with gamers, just sayin. PS3 was a rare sight for me

#5 05/23/13 01:05

tens

Well i appreciate Ps4, But I'm more thrilled at the top it may support the Occulus rift. Check that piece of hardware out! smile, And who can't appreciate an awesome console when you use the god damn thing until it literally cannot be used any further...

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#6 05/23/13 07:05

Iritscen

I think people are probably overreacting to the limited nature of the Xbox announcement.  It'll still play games, guys tongue  I'm no fan of MS, but it's way too early to write off their next-gen console.  However, I am amused by (1) its resemblance to a 1980s VCR, and (2) the fact that MS continues to blindly follow focus group testing and demographic measurements even when they defy common sense.  I'm referring to the naming of the unit as "One" despite the fact that "one" usually refers to, you know, the first in a series.  This will confuse all the casual consumers who remember (and in some cases still have) the first Xbox.  It's obvious that MS chose "One" because people reacted better to the name in tests than "720", "3", etc., so they just went with it, common sense be damned.  It's the same reason they went with "360" last generation.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 05/23/13 13:05

Lithium

No that's not why they're overreacting. The used games thing is what's pissing everyone off.

#8 05/23/13 13:05

Iritscen

Oh, I didn't know about that, even though I'd read about the announcement.  Well, it sounds like Sony might not allow those either, right?

#9 05/23/13 14:05

Lithium

Sony will allow it, the only thing that they won't have is backwards compatibility IIRC.

#10 05/23/13 15:05

tens

No... both Consoles aren't allowing it... :\ that's what i heard around in facebook..

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#11 05/23/13 15:05

Iritscen

If console games go totally digital-download, this will become a moot point anyway.

#12 05/23/13 17:05

Lithium

tens wrote:

No... both Consoles aren't allowing it... :\ that's what i heard around in facebook..

In that case GG consoles. PC Master race

#13 05/23/13 18:05

Iritscen

Well, consoles will always have the advantage of being simple and easy to use (compared to Windows and Linux).  But it's true that I don't see much of a future for consoles after this next generation now that they've almost become simply headless PCs.  I think after this next round, we'll just have PCs sending video to the TV wirelessly, Sony/MS/Apple TVs with embedded (streaming?) games and bundled controllers, maybe a kind of specialized gaming unit that is basically a Kinect+Oculus, and of course there will be the whole mobile space from now on until the suns die out.

#14 05/23/13 18:05

Jon God

I've always preferred consoles due to the simplicity, and lack of compatibility issues.

Which is why I can't see myself being as much of a gamer as I am now, if I have to move to PC to game.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#15 05/24/13 01:05

TOCS

With this announcement M$ has proven they want to be more enclosed. And by that I'm referring to their recent clarification that indie developers will have a pretty hard time doing anything with the console, since they'll need a license either directly from M$ or from a third-party publisher. It's infuriating to see that they're becoming more and more arrogant like Apple, and they sure as hell try as hard with their TV crap, instead of focusing on their earlier demographic; the gamers.

#16 05/24/13 08:05

Iritscen

Yeah, not allowing people to self-publish is exactly like what Apple does with their OSes  roll

#17 05/24/13 17:05

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:

Yeah, not allowing people to self-publish is exactly like what Apple does with their OSes  roll

I'm referring to their iOS (mobile devices to be specific) development system. They need to verify all sorts of crap before you can release anything, and IIRC it'll most likely cost a fee as well. It's childish really, and to see the leading software developer crawl into the same cesspit with this new Xbox, I'm beginning to wonder what goal they're pursuing, except for an obvious amount of unsatisfied customers. Apple has effectively raised a horde of mindless zombie consumers this past decade who eats everything thrown at them; it has become their demographic basically. They know how to forcefully market anything down your throat. I'm curious to see if M$ will do the same.

Last edited by TOCS (05/24/13 17:05)

#18 05/24/13 17:05

Samer
Website

I'm gonna stick with my old fashioned PC ^_^

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#19 05/24/13 21:05

Iritscen

TOCS wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

I'm referring to their iOS (mobile devices to be specific) development system. They need to verify all sorts of crap before you can release anything, and IIRC it'll most likely cost a fee as well.

How dare Apple make sure that people aren't uploading malware to their systems.  How dare they.

#20 05/24/13 22:05

Valkyrur

Well, according to one of my various sources, the Xbox One will ship in the US for:

Five hundred and ninety nine Euros.

You read right.

http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-one-pric … y-1556365/

#21 05/25/13 05:05

TOCS

Iritscen wrote:
TOCS wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

I'm referring to their iOS (mobile devices to be specific) development system. They need to verify all sorts of crap before you can release anything, and IIRC it'll most likely cost a fee as well.

How dare Apple make sure that people aren't uploading malware to their systems.  How dare they.

Well that just proves my claim towards the average Apple consumer. roll If your device gets dirty from a few downloads, it's your responsibility. Nobody is going to tell me or any other sane individual what to download. That's straight out arrogant, and perfectly eliminates the freedom of choice: "use-it-like-we-want-you-to" or nothing. Besides I don't really know anyone who has ever had any trouble with malware or the likes on Android or Windows Phone. My dad owns the original HTC Desire which is over 3 years old, and it has never been formatted. It runs perfectly well.

#22 05/25/13 15:05

Valkyrur

Samer wrote:

Come back to me when PC has Valkyria Chronicles, then we'll talk.

Anyway, found this gem on NeoGAF:

TWV6wOU.jpg

Also, why is there still a misconception going around that the PS4 won't play used games? Sony said literally the day after the PS4 announcement that it will play used games.

Last edited by Valkyrur (05/25/13 15:05)

#23 05/25/13 17:05

TOCS

Valkyrur wrote:
Samer wrote:

Also, why is there still a misconception going around that the PS4 won't play used games? Sony said literally the day after the PS4 announcement that it will play used games.

There were quite a lot of rumours going around that used games would be a problem with the new PlayStation. Eventually people will realize it's not a problem.

#24 05/27/13 13:05

Valkyrur

Joystiq wrote:

The Xbox One will be region-locked, meaning all software must match the region of the console itself, Microsoft confirmed to Digital Trends. This means a US Xbox One won't be able to play games imported from Europe or Japan, for example.

"Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One."

The Xbox 360 isn't completely region-locked – Microsoft currently allows studios to choose whether their games will work across regions. The PlayStation 3 is region-free, and all games except for Persona 4 Arena work on every console, regardless of spatial location. It's unclear if the PlayStation 4 will be similarly region-free.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/26/repor … on-locked/

HEIL SONYREICH!

#25 06/04/13 18:06

kyletm57

Haven't been on in a while, so I thought I would share this:

tapuwg7.gif

banner2440.jpg

Board footer