Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 05/22/13 10:05

uroboros

Re: Creating the Lair - A level tutorial

I'm converting dae to oni

s10k wrote:

That seems more a warning from OniSplit. Does the file still gets created?

EdT wrote:

The first error message is normal, actually it is not an error.

Thanks for the info I'm afraid of doing something wrong at the beginning so I just wanted to make sure if I didn't mess something up.

Edit:
With onisplit it worked, unfortunately Vago doesn't create the file

Oh and the second error didn't appear this time so sorry for that.  hmm

Last edited by uroboros (05/22/13 11:05)

#52 05/22/13 12:05

EdT
Website

Even though Vago gives you an error message, it will produce the file. I converted a dae to oni and the file was located at /Oni/AE/Tools/VagoGUI/VagoWorkspace/Levels/DAE - ONI/  if you are using the default workspace.

Were you able to import your test model into Oni?

#53 05/23/13 13:05

uroboros

Ok Vago created the file, when I used version from the AE Installer  big_smile

EdT wrote:

Were you able to import your test model into Oni?

Oni Browser opened it properly.
Now I hope I will follow rest of the tut without failures.

#54 05/24/13 14:05

uroboros

I have a problem again.
I'm trying to create grids, here's the command I used:

-room:extract C:\Users\Lukasz\Desktop\Oni warsztat\poziom testowy 1\model dae\pathfinding podloga.dae -out:rooms.dae

And I'm getting this error

> -room:extract C:\Users\Lukasz\Desktop\Oni warsztat\poziom testowy 1\model dae\pathfinding podloga.dae -out:rooms.dae
System.ArgumentException: No input files found
   w Oni.Program.GetFileList(String[] args, Int32 startIndex)
   w Oni.Program.ExtractRooms(String[] args)
   w Oni.Program.Main(String[] args)

I don't really understand manual onisplit commands. EdT can you tell me what is wrong in this command?

Last edited by uroboros (05/24/13 14:05)

#55 05/24/13 15:05

Iritscen

Don't use spaces in your folder and file names, it makes things really hard to parse for both people and programs.  Plus, if you don't enter the command right, the portions of the paths separated by spaces will be interpreted as separate paths by the command line, which seems to be the problem here.  In DOS-like environments, you have to put a path containing spaces in quotes, and in Unix, you have to use '\' as an escape character before each space, but the better alternative is to remove all the spaces from the names before using OniSplit (or use underscores instead).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#56 05/24/13 16:05

EdT
Website

As I mentioned in the tutorial the command -room:extract is experimental and I don't really recommend it.  To make a bnv, I usually copy the floor polygons, open a new document and then Paste in Place under the Edit Menu.  You will probably need to edit the polygons to make them all rectangular.

#57 05/30/13 22:05

Samer
Website

EdT can you give me some tips on how to create the win and lose screens for a custom level ?
The file types necessary where do i specifiy it in xml .. What resolution should be used and is there an easy way to split it to smaller textures ?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#58 05/30/13 23:05

EdT
Website

In each level there are these files: TXMBfail_splash_screen, TXMBintro_splash_screen, TXMBwin_splash_screen.  They contain the links to the 12 TXMP files which make up the screens. The TXMP needs these flags: DisableUWrap DisableVWrap. 

I create the screens with the size of 1024x768.  Then using the guides in Photoshop I make 256x256 sections 4 columns by 3 rows.  Then I copy each section using the guides and save as separate files.

I can make the screens if you want, just provide me with the image files.

#59 06/01/13 00:06

Samer
Website

I found an easier way in photoshop .. use the slice tool, (it's under the quick selection totool, right click the crop tool to get it) then right click on the image and select "Divide Slice" then you can specify number of slices vertically and horizontally .. the image is now split into equal slices, then go to File -> save for web and devices, select PNG-24, click save .. and select "All slices" next to slices in the save dialogue, now each slice is saved ! smile takes few seconds.

Last edited by Samer (06/01/13 00:06)

#60 06/01/13 09:06

EdT
Website

Samer: I never knew about the slice tool, that is a real time saver!

#61 07/18/14 16:07

TOCS

harshchaudhary wrote:

EdT, SketchUp is very costly ($590 = Rs. 35400 = Average Indian's monthly salary! sad ) So please tell me why in the world should I get SketchUp. I want to mod Oni and help us out to increase the story in the form of levels. See this link. I have changed my mindset about the T2 rights buying. Please tell me whether you have the free SketchUp version.

That's SketchUp Pro, get SketchUp Make, it's totally free and open-source.

#62 07/18/14 20:07

EdT
Website

Here the link to the different Sketchup versions: http://www.sketchup.com/download/all

Personally, I'm still using Sketchup 8 free version.

#63 07/19/14 14:07

EdT
Website

Honestly, I don't know about Sketchup Make 2014, it doesn't run on my computer, I can only use Sketchup 8.
But Sketchup 8 works well for me in making level models and importing them into to Oni.

#64 07/19/14 15:07

TOCS

harshchaudhary wrote:

Well, thanks. And one more thing. TOCS, you could also tell me. Is the 35 MB installer standalone or does it download files later on?

I'm not sure, it has been awhile since I last used SketchUp for anything. I normally use Autodesk software so I'm not that familiar with Google's alternatives yet. AFAIK, it has a database from where you can download standard assets; they don't come with the program, you've to download them afterwards.

#65 07/19/14 18:07

EdT
Website

Once you download Sketchup, you do not need to be online to use it.  However, there is a website with a very large selection of models created in Sketchup that you can download.  I have used many of the models in my levels.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/

#66 07/20/14 16:07

TOCS

harshchaudhary wrote:

But TOCS says that it needs to download some modules, though I can understand he might be referring to the online models gallery (or 3D Warehouse). But it could also be that while installing, we need to be online? Well, I will see to it. I might just be able to do (my storyline levels) after learning and knowing hows and whats of it. Thanks TOCS and EdT. Keep yourself engrossed into Oni so that you don't get bored of it.

I was referring to the same website that EdT was. The material available there is not necessary at all, but it can give you an idea of how the program works.

#67 07/20/14 16:07

TOCS

harshchaudhary wrote:

Mischief, huh? "I was referring to the same links as Edt..." bla bla bla.  wink Commit that you forgot about it and formed a hazy picture of whats and hows of SketchUp. EdT was more exact in telling me what I wanted to know. The way you wrote, I guess you should refine what you are writing coz English is not ur first lingo. And maybe you are right. Its just that I could not get your words. "standard assets" means software essential modules, like some DLLs and the boring stuff, you know.

Ehm, first of all, my initial post was only a thought hence the 'AFAIK' (if you know what that means, "given that English is not your native language"). I've barely used SketchUp so my knowledge about its features are limited, I was merely suggesting that it (at least according to my knowledge) had a database with materials free of use, and I was right. Furthermore I never talked about any links, I only knew there would be some sort of collection of assets like with almost any 3d modelling software. Also an 'asset' can mean a great many things, but generally the word is described as "a useful and desirable thing or quality" which, if anything, is used accurately in context by me.

And while at it I could easily point out a lot of flaws in your phrasing as well. For example the word 'commit' is very misplaced in your sentence above, the word you're most likely searching for is 'admit', which has an entirely different meaning, especially in the context of what you're trying to say. And to get nitpicky, "Its just that I could not get your words", is not exactly well-formulated either. No educated individual would say that, and that's why I think you should come down from your high horse and just be happy that people are so willing to help you. There're lots of members here who's first language is not English, hell, I think that's the case for the majority around here. So what do you say? Let it be settled here? smile

Last edited by TOCS (07/20/14 17:07)

#68 07/21/14 08:07

Samer
Website

Let it be settled here and dont let this very useful thread that edt worked hard on to help other modders be tainted by silly back and forths. You got your answer harsh there was no need to comment any further or imply anyone was trying to deliberately misinform you or cause "mischief". Iritscen I propose removing the posts from 70 up to preserve this helpful thread.

Last edited by Samer (07/21/14 08:07)

#69 07/21/14 11:07

Iritscen

Well, if it went on any longer, I would probably delete it.  At this point, the thread is still far from ruined.  But harsh, please check your ego.  You don't need to criticize someone's English just because there was a misunderstanding.  Why is "Its just that I type fast and don't think of the exact words I have to use here, or anywhere" only a valid excuse for you and not anyone else that uses imprecise wording?

#70 07/21/14 16:07

Iritscen

Posts can serve as a history and posts can provide lessons.  In this, you still don't understand that you caused this problem entirely by yourself.  Therefore, I am not going to sweep something under the rug for you, because I don't think a lesson has been learned from this.  Just to be clear:

"standard assets" means software essential modules

This is wrong.  "Assets" rarely mean modules like DLLs; "assets" usually refers to resources, often art resources.  So TOCS was not mistaken in any way; he said, "AFAIK, it has a database from where you can download standard assets; they don't come with the program, you've to download them afterwards."  There is actually nothing wrong with that statement.  He said "can", not "must", thus he did not indicate that you had to do anything to use the program.

Even if he legitimately had caused you confusion with poor wording, it was out of line to say what you did here.  There's no need to say that someone should write more clearly.  All you need to say is, "Oh, sorry, I misunderstood."  That would be proper etiquette.  Instead you accused him of being poor at English (which, I might add, was a hypocritical remark) to cover for your misunderstanding.  You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and some embarrassment by simply downloading the program and seeing how it worked instead of firing off half-baked questions.

Finally, do not ask me to delete any more posts or to close any more threads.

#71 10/15/16 18:10

s10k
Website

Sorry for the big bump, but I've been following this tutorial and I faced a problem.

When characters fight at my level they drop blood (because blood mod), however the blood doesn't stay in the floor, seems it falls over it and disappears. I think it is some problem with my level terrain.

Somebody know how to fix the terrain in sketchup so the blood particles stay in the floor?

#72 10/16/16 13:10

Scarlett

Omg this is the first I am seeing this post. This will help a ton with a future project

#73 10/16/16 15:10

paradox-01

Could be anything. I propose you extract the problematic area (the less polygons, the better) and post dae and texture here.

Edit1:
For the start you could check the env flags: import that little chunk, then reconvert the AKEV to xml and inspect AGQG flags.
http://wiki.oni2.net/XML:AKEV#AGQG

Edit2: My second guess is that the particle does nothing because the your texture isn't registered yet.
Try adding your texture to level 0's BINADBMTTextureMaterials.oni inside the "Default" material section.
If that doesn't work inspect the ONIE file the blood mod is using and identify the material for blood.

Last edited by paradox-01 (10/16/16 16:10)

#74 10/16/16 15:10

s10k
Website

s10k wrote:

When characters fight at my level they drop blood (because blood mod), however the blood doesn't stay in the floor, seems it falls over it and disappears. I think it is some problem with my level terrain.

Somebody know how to fix the terrain in sketchup so the blood particles stay in the floor?

EdT found the solution, I post it here so others don't fall for the same "trap" that I did:

EdT: "I found the problem with your model. The floor’s face needs to be reversed. Right click on it and select Reverse Faces and then reapply the texture.  Remember, white is the front face and gray is the back face of the polygon."

Last edited by s10k (10/16/16 15:10)

#75 10/22/16 06:10

s10k
Website

So far we have prepared the bnv model for pathfinding grids.  However, if you want the AI's to patrol, then you need to add ghost quads to the bnv model. ghost quads are vertical planes between each bnv, which tells the AI that they can cross into the next bnv.
To make things easier, I made the ground, 1st floor, 2nd floor and 3rd floor into separate groups.  This prevents the vertical planes from merging with them.  I made a single vertical plane and aligned it with the ground along one line, next I subdivided the vertical polygon at each intersection.

How did you make the vertical plane? Which tool in the sketchup you used?

I've used rectangle do do the vertical planes but it isn't working. AI refuses to follow the path.

Here's how it looks like:

Sem_T_tulo.png

Although the BNV is working.

Also onisplit is outputing the follow messages:

Unsupported primitive type 'Lines' found in geometry 'ID10', ignoring.
BNV polygon: discarded, polygon is degenerate
BNV polygon: discarded, ghost is a 3-gon

Any idea of each of these mean?

Last edited by s10k (10/22/16 06:10)

Board footer