Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/26/13 17:04

Iritscen

NEOTOKYO°

I searched around and it looks like no one ever made a thread about NEOTOKYO° per se.  I referenced it in my "Dark future" thread a while ago, but that's about it.  So I thought I would plug it, being a casual-yet-passionate fan of it and seeing that it had an update issued back in January.  First, here's a trailer:

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOh3xYPrYF8[/video]

Here's the web site.  As you can see, it's based in the same Ghost in the Shell-esque world as Oni, though I'd say it recreates it much more faithfully (the eight-years-newer technology doesn't hurt, of course).  To play it you have to download the Source SDK 2007 in Steam, since it's a total conversion mod for Source.

The gameplay is FPS, but more tactical than most such games, partly because there's no respawning.  I'm a big fan of the look and feel of the game, although I haven't played enough to get good at it.  It definitely has a bit of a learning curve.

Anyway, the mod came out in 2009, and then it seemed to die.  The active community is so small that new players could rarely find an active server when they wanted to try it.  But in January 2013, the developers released new maps, and a couple months before that, the game was greenlit for a proper Steam release.  And at the moment, I see a server with 24 players on it, so that's something.  I can't join it because this computer doesn't have the Source SDK on it yet, so I'm posting this while it downloads ^_^  By the way, make sure to check out the soundtrack, it's freely downloadable and pretty awesome.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 04/26/13 21:04

EdT
Website

Re: NEOTOKYO°

If we don't see you for awhile, we now know you are in NeoTokyo big_smile

#3 04/27/13 05:04

TOCS

I know a few guys over at MordorHQ who regularly plays it. Though I haven't played the game, the general gun mechanics look a bit clunky. They seem to nail the perspective of the universe pretty well.

#4 04/30/13 18:04

tens

Your ID ???

Last edited by tens (04/30/13 20:04)

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#5 05/01/13 20:05

kyletm57

I used to love this mod, though I suck pretty bad at it tongue . Also it has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard from a mod, it just captures the atmosphere of the game so well (it's a shame that the music wasn't implemented in game though).

banner2440.jpg

#6 05/01/13 20:05

Iritscen

Well, I think the music would just distract if it were used in-game, but yeah, the soundtrack is definitely on my iPod.

Your ID ???

Mine?  My Steam ID is "Iritscen", though I don't play that often, and the game is still not being actively played 24/7, so you have to figure out when the other guys will be online and adjust your schedule accordingly when you want to play.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 05/01/13 20:05

kyletm57

I see your point, music during a match wouldn't be the most practical of things. I always wished it had a single player story though, I thought the plot they described on the website was interesting and, combined with the atmosphere and soundtrack, it would have really been something (not that it's a realistic dream, they have no budget and it's a very small group of people who support the mod).

@tens: Most of the community gets together every Friday (at least it was that way half a year ago), but the majority of the people who still play the game are pretty skilled, so be prepared to die frequently if you are new. Also i would highly recommend playing with friends and a mike, teamwork is essential to win, plus it's a lot more fun that way.

banner2440.jpg

#8 05/01/13 21:05

tens

Yeah i tried it out, i got R@p3D, though i can't really says its the game's fault, i have like 360 ping, i don't think i'll be playing much unless the there are Asian servers :..: it was fun at first, the people there were either complete pros or in a league of their own ! My Steam ID-DeathFrown, i play dota 2 mostly and if im not playing il probably be thinking of ideas for my small story.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

Board footer