Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/02/13 22:04

Iritscen

Anniversary Edition Seven is here!

The final version of the community modding framework, the Anniversary Edition, is here!  Please note that if you have an issue with any mod that you choose to install with the AE Installer, those questions and bug reports should be placed in their own thread devoted to that mod in the Modifications sub-forum.  This thread is just for discussion of the AE Installer, modding framework, and the core packages which are found under the Installer's "Mods>Show core packages" menu.

The New AE Installer by Alloc (click HERE for more detailed documentation than what's in this post):
20130413222300%21AEI_main_window.jpg

Requirements:
- Retail copy of Oni
- (Mac only) Java installation (download; there's one included with the Windows AE installer)
- (Mac only) Mono (download)
- (Windows only) .NET Framework 3.5 (to install .NET Framework 3.5, type 'features' in the Windows menu, press Enter, and look for the framework; you can download 3.5 here if you don't see it in Features)

Download links:
Mac: http://mods.oni2.net/node/75
Windows: http://mods.oni2.net/node/79

Short Version (For Newbies):
What is the Anniversary Edition ("AE")?  Simply put, it is a mod installer (the "AEI"), the latest patches, and a framework for modding Oni.  It makes it easier to install people's mods, create your own, and it keeps Oni up-to-date with patches.  The original release of Oni from 2001 does not run on modern computers, but once the AE is installed and has downloaded its patches, you can pick up right where you left off kicking Syndicate butt!  The AE requires a retail copy of Oni for now, but if enough people express interest, maybe a version for the Oni demo can be released later.

Short Version (For Returning Fans):
This AE is not an update to past Editions; it replaces anything you had installed before.  In fact, it can go alongside it, because this AE goes in an "AE/" folder, not "Edition/".  The most exciting thing about this new release is that you will be notified of available updates whenever you open the AEI instead of having to remember to check a web page to see if a mod or patch has been updated.

Short Version (For Modders):
The new AEI uses package format 2.0.  Read up on it HERE.  The old format will still work with the AEI but the new format supports niceties like bi-platform support, dependencies, tool packages, and XML patching!

Installation:
1) Download the file found on the Depot page linked to above.
2a) Windows: Run the EXE from anywhere.
2b) Mac: Extract the contents of the zip file anywhere and run.
3) Just follow the instructions that Setup gives!

Changes since 2010-05:
* Auto-update system (Internet connection required)
* AEI can launch Oni and all tools
* New, improved Daodan DLL build
* Packages can now support both Windows and Mac
* Modding tools can also be packaged so that the AEI can offer them for download
* Full support for script mods for the first time
* Package dependencies and incompatibilities; the user will be notified if one package requires, or is not compatible with, another package
* XML patching now supported to allow greater compatibility between mods

Updating from AE 2010-05:
If you previously installed the 2010-05 release of the Edition, you can leave it where it is in Edition/.  Packages that you downloaded or made for it can be copied to AE/AEInstaller/packages/ and will work as-is with the new AE Installer (but you might want to check first whether there is a newer version of the package offered for download within the new AEI).

Long Version:
The AE started life as the Seventh Anniversary Edition back in 2007 when its creator, geyser, decided to release it on the seventh anniversary of Oni's release (January 2008).  Its roots go back further than that, though, to Oni ni Kanabo in 2006, and even further back to the Binary Improvement Project in 2005.  BIP was a nice idea, but extremely limited due to the lack of tools at the time; players had to download whole modded game data files (.dat/.raw) in order to play it.  OnK was a step up, using binary delta patches to avoid the legal and other difficulties involved in distributing Oni's game data.  However, it was still a nightmare from the modding side of things.

The development of OniSplit, especially once it introduced XML exporting, was a critical step in making modding more, well, modular.  So geyser wrote some simple shell scripts that used OniSplit to break Oni's game data up into individual resources and patch them, and he released four betas of this Anniversary Edition in 2007/2008.  Back then, the AE's content was mostly animation-related mods made by Loser and geyser to improve combat and fix glitches.  You ran the scripts on the command line to simply install what was provided, no more and no less.

The next phase of the project was when Gumby took over from geyser.  I began assisting Gumby at this time, mostly for Mac support.  We made two releases, in 2009 and 2010, which featured a bigger collection of mods, a modular framework (based on "mod packages"), and an Anniversary Edition Installer (AEI) with a GUI so players could choose what to install.  I was excited to see modders now able to produce packages that were easy for the player to add to his Edition/ folder and install with the AEI.

Gumby and I both became very busy and distracted with other tasks after the 2010 release (an interesting tale in its own right).  We had always planned to make one more AE release with an AEI that allowed the player to download mods and get updates from within the AEI, but never found the time to do it.  Finally, at the end of 2012, after enough nagging from the fans, I decided I had to find the time to make one final release, with the help of Alloc and others.  The reason this seventh release can be called the "final" one is that we have changed our conception of what the AE is.

What we've done is remove all bundled and core mods, except for simple tweaks and fixes.  All of the real content comes from the community and is stored on the Oni Mod Depot; no more packages found only in the AE.  The new AE Installer 2 then connects to the Depot (if Internet is available) and offers all the packages to the player to download and install.  The AEI can also update the patches to the game applications and the AEI itself.

What this means is that all components of the Edition can be updated independently in the future to fix bugs and add features.  Additionally, as new modding tools become available on the Depot, these show up in the Tools menu of the AEI.  To ensure the future of the AE, the source code for the AEI and its core tools is available on Oni2.net's Subversion repository.  With this release, I feel that that the AE is finally at the place it was always meant to be: a program that serves as the central point for mods, tools and patches, BY the community, FOR the community.

Finally, at the risk of making this sound like an Oscar acceptance speech, I just want to make sure that you all know who to thank for the Anniversary Edition:
- geyser for the original AE.
- Neo for writing OniSplit; where would we be without it?
- EdT for tons of testing and experimentation, and for creating the first GUI-based installer for the AE (Mac-only).
- Gumby for designing the current modular framework and writing the first official version of the AE Installer.
- Alloc for stepping up to write the new Installer and taking a big weight off my shoulders.  The new AEI represents most of the work that had to be done for the release.  He did a great job, didn't he?
- s10k for making the time amidst his school work to add XML patching to his program xmlTools.  He's also written some other tools you should check out, like Oni Key Editor and Vago GUI (see AEI's Tools>Manage Tools menu).
- Samer for converting and updating a lot of packages to the 2.0 format.
- Sfeli for creating the original Daodan DLL.  He also came back to help Alloc take over the management of the Daodan's C port (created by RossyMiles and maintained by Gumby for a while).
- geyser, Loser, Neo, Paradox, SSG for all the reverse-engineering.  The AE simply wouldn't be possible without this accumulated knowledge.
- YOU, the player.  Really!  If it weren't for your continued interest, none of us would still be working on this game 12+ years after its release!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#2 04/02/13 23:04

Lithium

Re: Anniversary Edition Seven is here!

BALLIN

Thanks for the release guys.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 04/03/13 00:04

Samer
Website

@ Iritscen I updated the character additives thing ...
btw when you have the time remember to add the announcement to the depot .. and i suggest hiding the older AE from the download list .. many users get confused by the patch and full (though they shouldn't) .. with a third option now available they might be even more confused.

the read me file is that of the old edition and some of its instructions don't apply anymore .. is it needed ?

and we need the complete HD menus mod later on smile

and i suggest having a more extensive description of the installer features in your first post or as a readme .. (filter, right click features, saving lists, customizable columns etc ..) as some may not be aware of\notice them. and some useful tips like to see which mods are newly released click on arrange by submitted on.

I've also sent you an email that you should read, please.

to players I recommend that you redownlaod packages with this new installer and not copy them from the older edition mainly because many packs have been updated with incompatibilities and dependencies.

Last edited by Samer (04/03/13 02:04)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#4 04/03/13 00:04

TOCS

Wow this is nice! I've been eagerly waiting for the next release since 2010. I'll definitely look into this later today. Thank you Iritscen and everybody else involved, it's great to see that this oldie of a game still gets some love now and then. smile

#5 04/03/13 04:04

s10k
Website

Great work guys! Especially Iritscen and Alloc for your hard work. I'm sure many good things will come with this new AE. smile

to players I recommend that you redownlaod packages with this new installer and not copy them from the older edition mainly because many packs have been updated with incompatibilities and dependencies.

That packages should also be updated automatically. So shouldn't exist the need to worry (if they maintain the same package number).

Last edited by s10k (04/03/13 04:04)

#6 04/03/13 07:04

tokenoftime92
Website

When I try to launch the shortcut AEInstaller2 it says:
Error: Unable to access jarfile bin\AEInstaller2.jar
Does anybody know?
I installed it on a new copy of Oni

Oni Flatline is the sh@t.

#7 04/03/13 07:04

Alloc
Website

Hi,

did you run the Windows installer? If so, did the updater run at the end? Do you have a bin-folder within Oni/AE/AEInstaller?
For easier communication you might want to check in on #Oni on euirc.net (e.g. through their webinterface here) or contact me in IM (see oni2.net for contact information).

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#8 04/03/13 08:04

tokenoftime92
Website

Will do, thanks! I do have proxy, it might be the problem.

#9 04/03/13 08:04

Alloc
Website

Seems like I never thought of proxies. So right now there's no proxy support in either the AEI updater nor the AEI itself. Those who can ONLY connect through a proxy will have to wait a few days unfortunately. Sorry for that sad

#10 04/03/13 08:04

uroboros

This is awesome!! Props for all of the creators  big_smile

#11 04/03/13 08:04

Iritscen

Samer wrote:

btw when you have the time remember to add the announcement to the depot .. and i suggest hiding the older AE from the download list

Yep, I was rushing at the end and haven't done some basic things yet.  The ModDB page needs to be updated too (it still links to the old AE files, so I left those up until I update ModDB).  At least the AE doesn't show up in its own Installer GUI so people who don't browse the Depot won't have anything to be confused by.

the read me file is that of the old edition and some of its instructions don't apply anymore .. is it needed ?

Um, the read-me in package 7 should be up-to-date.  Does it not say "Anniversary Edition Seven" at the top?

and we need the complete HD menus mod later on smile

HD menus should be complete... have you tested them?  They should have the Main Menu now which says Anniversary Edition Seven.

and i suggest having a more extensive description of the installer features in your first post or as a readme .. (filter, right click features, saving lists, customizable columns etc ..) as some may not be aware of\notice them. and some useful tips like to see which mods are newly released click on arrange by submitted on.

Yes, I need to find some way to mention those points, will make an edit shortly.

#12 04/03/13 08:04

6opoDuJIo

Where is mod repository hosted?
Google Drive?

Implement Oni with Unity3D engine :
https://github.com/6opoDuJIo/Oni-Round2

#13 04/03/13 08:04

Iritscen

A heavily-armored satellite in orbit around the earth.

Actually, it's at http://mods.oni2.net, part of Alloc's domain.

#14 04/03/13 09:04

Tods0073

awesome job guys! and Thanks for the release

I install AE installer and install some package..

but, error message(Sorry, Oni has run out of memory!) will be appeared

how to fix?

Last edited by Tods0073 (04/03/13 09:04)

#15 04/03/13 09:04

Iritscen

Hmm, how many packages did you install?

#16 04/03/13 09:04

Tods0073

60 package..

A little too much?

#17 04/03/13 09:04

Iritscen

Heh, probably.  It all depends on what was selected, but a lot of new models/textures would especially be a problem.

#18 04/03/13 09:04

Tods0073

thanks for reply smile

anyway.. i'll except some packages..

#19 04/03/13 10:04

Samer
Website

At least the AE doesn't show up in its own Installer GUI so people who don't browse the Depot won't have anything to be confused by.

true but to get the AE many just search for anniversary edition on the depot without visiting the forum .. we had a lot of users downloading the wrong thing due to that.

Um, the read-me in package 7 should be up-to-date.  Does it not say "Anniversary Edition Seven" at the top?

actually i didn't redownload the entire edition or zip .. i got the setup file form alloc directly last time i was testing.
but the ae readme i had (which it automatically downloaded a few days ago) didn't update on its own like the other core packs ... It's a core pack right ? and it puts the html in the AE folder directly .. i opened core packs and clicked redownload .. still it was the old readme ..
edit : ok only after i deleted it manually and made it redownload, it updated it. so i guess this issue is only because i had the AE before hand and doesn't affect new users so never mind it smile

HD menus should be complete... have you tested them?  They should have the Main Menu now which says Anniversary Edition Seven.

sorry wasn't aware it got updated ...

s10k wrote:

That packages should also be updated automatically. So shouldn't exist the need to worry (if they maintain the same package number).

they won't be updated automatically .. users will be notified and asked if they want to update them, they can still choose no at that point .. what i meant is that they should choose to update them not think that it's easier to keep on using the older packs. Also since any pakcs not downloaded with the new AE won't have an aei file in them and will be considered outdated so instead of moving the packs and then updating (redownloading) it's easier to just download them directly without moving the old ones.

Alloc wrote:

Seems like I never thought of proxies. So right now there's no proxy support in either the AEI updater nor the AEI itself. Those who can ONLY connect through a proxy will have to wait a few days unfortunately. Sorry for that

being a bit selfish here but i hope that update doesn't affect the problem i had with the moddepotcache .. i think you dropped proxy support to resolve that issue right ? if you bring it back will the issue be back sad

and if i didn't say it enough .. thanks for Alloc and Iritscen, s10k and the others for all the hard work .. and congratulations to the community on this milestone .. i really believe this will be the start of a new era for players and modders smile

Last edited by Samer (04/03/13 11:04)

#20 04/03/13 12:04

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:
Alloc wrote:

Seems like I never thought of proxies. So right now there's no proxy support in either the AEI updater nor the AEI itself. Those who can ONLY connect through a proxy will have to wait a few days unfortunately. Sorry for that

being a bit selfish here but i hope that update doesn't affect the problem i had with the moddepotcache .. i think you dropped proxy support to resolve that issue right ? if you bring it back will the issue be back sad

That's two different things wink

#21 04/03/13 13:04

tokenoftime92
Website

The proxy was the problem, everything seems to be fine now. Nice job!

#22 04/03/13 14:04

EdT
Website

Congratulations on your hard work!  We appreciate all the time and effort you spent to bring AE7 to us.

Hopefully, I'll have time in the next few days to play around with it.

#23 04/04/13 17:04

Valkyrur

I'm going to have to kick myself for not realizing this was out.

Time to hunt down my disc again.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#24 04/05/13 03:04

Samer
Website

I got a strange problem with disappearing features ... when I first installed this AE .. the menus said Anniversary Edition ... and when player was near a dropped weapon the ammo capacity showed near its name ... now all of a sudden the menus don't show ae and the weapons capacity doesn't appear.
i deleted the core packs menu fixes and daodan so it redownloads them .. it did but same problem .. i then thought i must have messed something up so I uninstalled anniversary edition and uninstalled oni vanilla and reinstalled both to another location : same issue still. what can i do to fix this ?

p.s : i ran the older edition once and installed some packs using the old AEinstalller after i installed the AE, but they are in different locations .. don't know if that could have had an effect. (but after that i uninstalled everything and reinstalled to a new location to a fresh vanilla oni without the older edition at all)

Last edited by Samer (04/05/13 03:04)

#25 04/05/13 06:04

Alloc
Website

Are you sure you ran the right Oni? I.e. not the vanilla one? Especially the Daodan should never stop working as it won't be removed at all. Though the weapon name / ammo display does only happen until a certain point, e.g. in last level you won't see those messages as those seem to be kinda "tutorial" messages.

Proper checking of running daodan: cheat tellmetheversion. Should give 3.2 atm.

Menu: Basically the same. I can't imagine how it could disappear from your AE installation on its own wink

PS: If the problem persists you can get Process Explorer, start it while Oni is running (or before but look at it when Oni is running), right click on the line where it shows Oni.exe, select "Properties..." and look at both "Path" and "Current directory". Both should point to the AE folder (path should of course also include the Oni.exe in that folder). If that's not the case AND you were starting through AEI send me the aei.log. Also in that case try running Oni in AE manually.

Last edited by Alloc (04/05/13 06:04)

Board footer