You are not logged in.

#1 03/06/13 23:03

Samer
Website

New Sound Track from facebook group user

this was posted on the Oni Facebook Group

Terry Menger wrote:

Hey all,
for a while now I've been wanting to pay tribute to the soundtrack of this game. It was a soundtrack way ahead of it's time. However, I as a student of music and soundtrack composition would like to bring it up to date like modders have done for the graphics. I however possess no programming skills. If I would make a "modern" soundtrack for the game, would there be someone else willing to program it into the Anniversery Mods?

this is the link to the soundtrack https://soundcloud.com/omgkittens/syndicate-warehouse

Last edited by Samer (03/07/13 12:03)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 03/06/13 23:03

Lithium

Re: New Sound Track from facebook group user

Needs more wubs yo.

Still I like what I hear, looking forward to more.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 03/07/13 07:03

Iritscen

It's well-done; I especially like having music under the intro cutscene because it drags on so much and the music makes it more interesting.  But I don't think he's aware that Oni's music works in script-driven slices.  Also, he essentially scored a speed run, whereas the average user will take maybe three times as long, or longer if he's stealthing it.  That leaves either the option of looping the main body of the track for 15-30 minutes, which would wear anybody's patience thin, or else fading the music out and in as events progress in the level, and I'm not sure that his composition is suited for being sliced and used that way.  Besides that, if the goal were to "wallpaper" the level end-to-end with music, you would at least want several tracks made, to keep things interesting.

I think he has talent and could definitely add something to the Oni experience, but at the very least I think he would need to learn how to program a level's music himself.  Otherwise he would be leaving his compositions at the mercy of someone else to slice up and arrange, which I can't imagine he would really want.  The composer is naturally best-suited to arranging his own work in a level, being the one who knows that each track is intended for and what events should trigger it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 03/07/13 10:03

Dirk Gently
Website

TBH, this is going to be much easier to score than if this were Halo. I feel like we have to treat scoring and music in-game as separate entities (like I need to tell you this tongue). This could be the start to a new soundtrack, but I think we need to first look at each segment of music and create individual loops and segments where we can put it into the game. If I am remembering how sound handling in Oni works, then it is rather similar to how Halo does it but not as complex. An excellent example of a new soundtrack score would be Terrible Fate (http://www.terriblefate.com/), a redone Majora's Mask soundtrack. This doesn't reflect the tone of play obviously, in this case I think we could make a soundtrack that mimics the feel of each level and area or that of the original soundtrack. From there we can create a medley of original and new sound loops for the game. I don't think that we should necessarily slice this up, but instead sample the original sound loops to make it work best ingame.

#5 03/07/13 11:03

uroboros

This music has oni atmosphere in it, which is an important thing.

#6 03/07/13 19:03

Knox

YESYESYESYESYES Definitely yes!

Last edited by Knox (03/07/13 19:03)

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#7 03/09/13 15:03

kyletm57

I looked at some of his other songs, this guy is pretty talented. While I really like his music, I agree with Irtiscen that he should learn how to program his music into the game himself.

banner2440.jpg

#8 03/09/13 15:03

TOCS

Lithium wrote:

Needs more wubs yo.

I really hope you were being sarcastic right there. .__.

#9 03/09/13 17:03

Samer
Website

Terry Menger wrote:

Thanks Samer, I'll register when I have time. This is a big project but I'll try to do 1 piece per week. When I've got all of the pieces, I'll upload it in a .rar so the modders can start programmering it in. In the meanwhile I'll keep you posted if I have new one finished.

My password has not yet arrived, however, could someone please tell the user: Iritscen, that I am in-fact aware of what he's saying, and that I have the tools to create the segments, just not the know how of how to program the segments into the game itself. (I study to become a soundtrack-creator, I suppose I SHOULD know these things). I also know the original content of the soundtrack from top to bottom and will stick to it for guidance. Also DirkGently's vision is exactly what I had in mind!

I will not (Quote)"Leave slicing and arrangement up to the mercy of the programmer ". I can get you ready made loops and sub-arrangements, however I can't afford the time to learn how to program it. ALso I'm not intending to "wallpaper" it. Oh, and sorry for spamming it here and not on forums!

Andrew Smith wrote:

Andrew Smith I think that leaving it up to the programmer is best. Certain parts of the song aren't always appropriate to certain situations while some are. For instance, the soundtrack you already put out is great for warehouse, but I can't see it being played continually throughout the level, it just wouldn't flow.

Terry Menger wrote:

Exactly, therefore what I usually would do is segment it into interchangeable modules that can be triggered by situation, or events in the levels. Also, silence is the most important part of a soundtrack.

on a different note I don't remember I waited for a password when i first registered ...

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#10 03/09/13 17:03

Iritscen

I'm guessing the registration process has changed, to keep out spammers.  Glad to hear his responses and that he knows what's involved in scoring the game.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#11 03/09/13 18:03

Lithium

TOCS wrote:
Lithium wrote:

Needs more wubs yo.

I really hope you were being sarcastic right there. .__.

I was yo.

Also would it be easier to first compose songs to replace some certain scenes? The one he made would be pretty good for a middle chapter of the warehouse or perhaps the end even. To be honest.. I think that song is a lot better suited towards the second or third chapter, it has a dark tone to it that would fit those levels better IMO.

Last edited by Lithium (03/09/13 18:03)

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer