Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/19/08 18:01

geyser
Website

Anniversary Edition Preview

Nothing special here. I'm just including Loser's mods so far, and I redesigned the x3deltas directory.
You don't really have to delete your old "edition" folder and reinstall the whole thing: run new_deal.
(however, the xdeltas folder will be a bit tidier if you delete it before you unpack the new edition)

Loser's weapons work nicely, except for the projectile dodging, which as we know is an engine issue.
For the PC, we'll provide a fix for the engine so that it handles projectile dodging properly. Later.

Tomorrow I'll fix the cutscenes, add the new characters and maybe (just maybe) 100% new guns...
Those guns came a bit late for the release, but there might still be time for a quick-and-dirty import.

The Comguy Ninjas will be different in the actual release, but I appreciate Loser's initiative a lot smile

You may notice that I have once again "forgotten" to copy the BIK files over to the working folder.
Personally I think the anime themselves suck, especially the intro, but I'll add them... eventually.

@ dedicated Mac dudes:
Maybe I don't understand something, but I don't see why I should be the one removing ECHOs etc smile
Your add-on processes my scripts anyway, and it also is the very thing that makes ECHOs redundant.
Just parse the shell scripts prior to running them and comment out occurrences of READ and ECHO...

EDIT: Obviously, I haven't "forgotten" to attach the Mac version. Updating it as I write.
I also don't upload this via the forum for kicks. I just can't do FTP or SVN right now sad

EDIT2: Huh. Whatever happened to the attachments. Harry, we love you.
PC version: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/20080121/wedition.zip
Mac version: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/20080121/xedition.zip
This includes the bug fixes discussed below (for the Mac).

Last edited by geyser (02/06/08 19:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 01/19/08 19:01

EdT
Website

Re: Anniversary Edition Preview

geyser:  I will take care of the echo part for the Mac.  We can be so difficult at times, can't we? smile

#3 01/19/08 19:01

geyser
Website

Heh. I can't add a 2nd attachment to the 1st post for some reason.
Here's the Mac version. Please test ASAP, goes without saying smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 01/19/08 22:01

EdT
Website

geyser: I've had a few problems with this version:

1) When trying to run the scripts I got permission denied. I found out that all the scripts have a permission of 644 so I changed them to 777

2) For the patches I got the error message:
ONCCstriker_dream_lab xdelta3: file open failed: read: x3deltas/ONCCstriker_dream_lab.x3d: No such file or directory
Same message for the rest of the changes.
In the x3deltas folder I found all the files with .oni extension, not .x3d.  So I renamed them to .x3d

3) Next I got the error message:
./step0004.sh: line 90: cd: x3deltasinplace: No such file or directory
I had to change cd x3deltas\inplace to cd x3deltas/inplace

4) Finally, I got the error message: step0004.sh: line 103: [: too many arguments
(this is where I couldn't figure out what to do)

Last edited by EdT (01/20/08 00:01)

#5 01/20/08 06:01

geyser
Website

1) OK... TGZ preserves permissions, so the way ZIP handles them is a "feature" in our case. Here's a ZIP.
2) The actual way to fix that was to replace .x3d with .oni in the script, not to rename the files. Fixed.
3) Indeed. Fixed.
4) Not sure what the problem was, and I can't test on a Unix. Give it another try when you can.

Last edited by geyser (01/20/08 07:01)

#6 01/20/08 07:01

geyser
Website

Ok, now, why doesn't it attach the files, again?

EDIT: Heh, that's wonderful. ZIPs don't attach.
Here's a TGZed ZIP, hope it works fine...

Last edited by geyser (01/20/08 07:01)

#7 01/20/08 09:01

EdT
Website

geyser: inplace patching still an issue.

This time no error message but the line:
"In-place patching: $D/$F" does not appear in the step4 logs.

Tested the game, no AI dodging.

It seems the problem might be with this line:
if [ ! -e ${GDF}/$D/$F ]

I think there is a limit on the size of attachment, I have used zip files in the past.

#8 01/20/08 09:01

geyser
Website

"if [ ! -e ${GDF}/$D/$F ]" OK, my bad, there should be no "!" there. Try again.
I don't think there's a limit on attachment size: Loser's rar were well over 1 MB.

#9 01/20/08 10:01

EdT
Website

Made a little progress:
This line now appears in the log:

In-place patching: level18_Final/BINACJBOCharacter.oni

Then it goes to recombining the levels.

EDIT: geyser, I'm will be gone for the next 8 hours, so I  won't be able to test AEP until I get back.

Last edited by EdT (01/20/08 10:01)

#10 01/20/08 10:01

geyser
Website

Duh forever. Forgot the 0 in the level list. Try again.

#11 01/20/08 21:01

EdT
Website

Success!

#12 01/20/08 22:01

Gumby

I suppose I should try this...:P

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#13 01/20/08 22:01

EdT
Website

Gumby: You should definitely give it a try!  The game is harder, at least for me... smile

#14 01/21/08 04:01

Gumby

Lol, I installed it, but never got around to playing it >_<

#15 01/21/08 07:01

geyser
Website

OK, so we missed this deadline. Thanks to all the people involved, especially to Loser and Neo (and SFeLi).
And of course let's not forget the testers. As it is, you've helped design the modding scheme we have now.

The Anniversary is hereby postponed to July 21 (in seven months). That should leave us the time to deliver.
Seriously, even without the import of 100% new meshes, there are at least 2 ways to improve Oni's missions.
One way is to provide higher-quality textures, be it for the environment or for the characters. Make Oni shine.
Another way is to (re)write single-player logic (and arenas) that draw full advantage of the array of characters.

Attached is a screenshot of a few characters I added. I'm not releasing them yet, because... just because.
The next release by myself will probably not occur until a month or two from now. Take care, everybody.

BTW, here's the background for the main menu so far: http://onimia.ru/forum/attachment.php?item=50

#16 01/21/08 09:01

TOCS

Did i gave you the idea about the black people? i mean when i posted those screenies? or... Just a little confused tongue

PS: I dont see any diffrences, everything is like the other version : /

Last edited by TOCS (01/21/08 09:01)

#17 01/21/08 10:01

geyser
Website

"Did i gave you the idea about the black people? i mean when i posted those screenies?"
Yes and no. I had seen those screenshots before, you just reminded me that it was "to do".
I wouldn't have too many of those in a rescripted Oni. They're supposed to be special.
Basically, the black Furies are Muro's pets (same as Barabas), possibly Daodanned.
Every black Fury gets a few black Strikers as sidekicks, probably not Daodanned.

Barabas is supposed to don the black armor in chapter 6 (hence the boss shield).

I'm not too happy with the Black Ops Konoko - she's not black or stealthy enough.
In a way, my original attempt was more convincing and overall intimidating. Sigh.
A Fury Konoko is quite feasible, as is a scientist Konoko, a civilian Konoko, etc...
However, all these require a recombination of body sets which I'll do Later(TM).
Same for the ninja comguys. We'll handle them properly by swapping meshes.
Same for Casey "red" Shanahan and an Easter egg char called "Mad Panda".
You'll see these Much Later a.k.a. Soon Enough a.k.a. In A Month Or Two.

As for Rockstar Muro and the White Rabbit, they're just elaborate inside jokes.

I'm surprised you didn't ask about the dudes with black suits and white eyes.

#18 01/21/08 10:01

TOCS

Hmm yea, those dudes with glowing eyes actualy looks very cool, if their sounds would be changed to some other, and they learned some other moves combined from the other characters they would just be like Muros highest trusted, i dunno, i am not a creator.

Please next time make a changlelog when you release a new version of the mod. I would appriciate that.

#19 01/21/08 11:01

geyser
Website

The dudes are actually not Muro's friends at all. They're his worst enemies: BGI

"Please next time make a changlelog when you release a new version of the mod."
The mod comes with a set of shell scripts and patches: they're basic changelogs.
If you run "big_zeal" you'll generate lists of just what files get copied or patched.

As for the details of a given patch, it's up to you to diff the .oni files on your side.
Then again, I'm not sure a detailed "hacker's" changelog if what you're asking for.
So I usually give an overview of the features in the topic starter for every release.

#20 01/21/08 11:01

EdT
Website

Well, geyser, you have raised our expectations for the Anniversary Edition.  7 more months... it should be awesome!

Hopefully, we'll have user friendly modding tools by then. I think this will increase the appeal and fun of AE, if users can easily contribute to the game.

7 months is a long time, so be sure to drop a few crumbs during that time.

Of course, a BIG THANK YOU, to all of you working on AE, fixing and improving the game and especially not forgetting us Mac users.

#21 01/21/08 13:01

geyser
Website

I've been playing through the latest upgrade, and I must say I'm very impressed.
Loser's hacks have definitely improved both the gunplay and the melee overall...
So I guess we've already added some major replay value to Oni. Let's advertise.
How? Just play through the bits of the original missions that are really hard now.

For example, take the area at the start of Airport Cargo Hangars, Save Point 1.
It used to be totally manageable without stealth. Now it's challenging as hell...
One could clearly dedicate a whole video to just passing that area on Hard.
With the tougher AI owning you at first, some slowmo for good measure...
Just record lots of such situations highlighting the new AI skills, and share.
Be sure to keep the original footage handy for when we compile a trailer.

Attached is a patched version of the Eastern English (a.k.a. standard) PC engine.
It fixes a stupid bug and allows the AI to dodge projectiles, not just firing spreads.
This gives the AI better survival skills against, e.g., grenades and Scram missiles.
As for the Screamers (both the regular one and Mukade's Silent Screamer), sigh.
They'd be better off not dodging the regular Screamer and just running at you...
And they don't seem to dodge Mukade's ball at all... maybe Loser messed up.
Of course, if the glass becomes more of a hasard, we'll make the AI dodge it.

Last edited by geyser (01/21/08 13:01)

#22 01/21/08 13:01

Gumby

geyser, it didnt attach >_>

#23 01/21/08 13:01

TOCS

I know those dudes with the eyes arent Muros friend's, but they could be made that! i mean they could be mind controlled or something, i dunno, and about the changelog, i dont know anything about hacking, so i dont know if they put changelog on their work. But a changelog or a feature list would be great, i mean some people around here are new to Oni, it would be a help to them aswell.

#24 01/21/08 20:01

Gumby

Notes:

Strikers much smarter
Dodging my guns
Stepping Disarm (with an empty gun ^_^)
Not sure if it was you: A striker jumped over my leg sweep D:
For some reason a comguy hit a fence in the Airport level and stopped dodging >_<

---

For some reason, when the Strikers do thier throw, they will sit there on thier back "Scanning the Area", this was probably there before
Did you mess with what happens to the camera when you jump backwards and attack?

#25 01/21/08 21:01

geyser
Website

"I know those dudes with the eyes arent Muros friend's, but they could be made that! i mean they could be mind controlled or something"
I wouldn't have too much mind control in Oni, because that's a very cheesy cliché. BGI are an entity of their own, and a strong one at that.
Apart from those "agents" in black suits (fighting with SWAT moves or something), I'd have armored enforcers. "We" are working on those.

"a changelog or a feature list would be great, i mean some people around here are new to Oni, it would be a help to them aswell."
A neat feature list is time-consuming for me, but the wiki page will certainly help in compiling an overview of the features so far.

"they will sit there on thier back "Scanning the Area", this was probably there before" It was. Original behaviour.
"Did you mess with what happens to the camera when you jump backwards and attack?" No. Original behaviour.

"geyser, it didnt attach >_>" Yup. It doesn't want to. ZIP, or TGZ of a ZIP - same thing. Oh well. Tomorrow. Bed.

Last edited by geyser (01/21/08 21:01)

Board footer