Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/22/13 08:02

Dirk Gently
Website

How to create new animations

From my understanding to create new animations you need to use XSI Mod Tools. My question is why are we limited to that one editor for creating animations? Is this mainly a file type limitation with the game engine or what? As part of the mod tool engine I am working on, i would like to make access to modding as cross-platform as possible, so converting the TRAMS from the game into a more accessible format would be ideal. Or am I going down the entirely wrong path here in thinking that it is a format limitation when it is really a software limitation, and there really isn't anything else out there that will do what we need it to.

Post I used as reference: (http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 230#p23230)

#2 02/22/13 08:02

Iritscen

Re: How to create new animations

The reason modders talk about using XSI all the time is just because it's free.  The real limitation is that we need to use a 3D program that can output the animation as Collada (DAE).  XSI can, I think Blender can (haven't tested animation), Maya should be able to, etc.  Neo simply decided that Collada was the best format for his purposes, so that's what he implemented in OniSplit.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 02/22/13 08:02

Dirk Gently
Website

If that is the case then I have an idea that we should talk about. DAE is a pretty open format then, the main trouble seems to be going from Oni->Editor then Editor->Oni as a process.

#4 02/22/13 11:02

Iritscen

Yes, that's an issue for a few different types of modding.  Samer mentioned some examples in the "Modding tools suggestions" thread of some "bridges" that would be useful, like for adjusting TRAM pelvis heights, converting sounds, quickly viewing level models... well, you've seen the thread.  But anything that improves the workflow so the modder doesn't have to worry about technical stuff is great.  Even a plugin for a third-party program (e.g., a Python plugin for Blender for specifically exporting animations for Oni) would be useful.  Bungie West wrote at least one plugin for this kind of thing (for 3ds max).

#5 02/22/13 11:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Yes, my idea was a bit more advanced than that...

#6 02/22/13 13:02

Iritscen

Ah, okay.  Well, I'll be online tonight if you want to chat.

Board footer