Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/19/13 14:02

ltemplar

How we can change Oni graphics - discussion pool.

Because there where some problems and unwanted drama on other posts where I touch that subject, to avoid this tension in the future , I decided to create separate topic . Here we can discuss about , how we can change/upgrade Oni graphics , so it's age will be less visible in comparison to now days titles.

From my point of view we can use two ways to achieve this:

1)Hack and modd Oni graphics engine or,
2)use what we have now and change graphics style.

Personally I'm more interested in the second method. It's maybe more time consuming , but less unexpected factors, and dependences can be avoided that way.
I have few games on my scope, that can help us decide which style we should use: The hakuro no ken, The Fear Effect and the Gunnm martian memory - from PS1 era , or FF Dissedia , FF7 Crisis core from psp.

Or maybe you guys have other ideas? Don't hesitate and sheer it.

Note. If discussion change it's track, but still be close to the modding subject it will be still ok.

Last edited by ltemplar (02/19/13 15:02)

#2 02/19/13 14:02

TOCS

Re: How we can change Oni graphics - discussion pool.

I find porting the existing resources to a different engine much more appealing. However it requires a lot of work and thought before doing so. Konoko Payne is a great example of how much one man can do in his free time. Nobody says we need to write pretty much everything from scratch like he did though. But I believe it's too big for this community to take on such a task. We need a lot more publicity before even thinking of it.

#3 02/19/13 14:02

Iritscen

I tried to Google "hakuro no ken" and Google has no idea what I'm talking about.  Did you mean "Hokuto no Ken", Fist of the North Star?  And if so, which game?

Fear Effect seems to have traditional video game cel shading, it looks fairly nice but it's rather different from what fans of Oni are used to seeing.

At a glance, GUNNM seems to have flat character textures, am I wrong?

Can you provide some screenshots of Dissidia that you like?  Having trouble finding good ones.

I do like the look of Crisis Core, although I'm not sure if it's right for Oni.

P.S.: You have too many 'n's in "change" in the thread title smile

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 02/19/13 14:02

ltemplar

Hmm..I'm afraid that making everything in new engine from scratch will be to difficult for the community. However if we decide to do such thing this will pay off in the future. Sow what engines you propose that we can use? Or maybe you want to create your own in C++?

Edit.
ok i will post the links to each example.

edit2

Hakuro no ken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUH852OmhQ
Gunnm martian memory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wyjdzgLYhY
fear effect - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDAw-FFn6tQ
fera effect2 retro helix - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOSl5qSgvyk

ff dissidia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NpgcZWOUY8
ff7 crisis core - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GwqGwaDD3E

Edit3 I know, but how I can change this channge thing in the title of the topic?

#5 02/19/13 15:02

Samer
Website

I'm interested in asking ... For example HD griffin, konoko HD, VR's Muro, Severed's textures, VR's and Bozzman's level textures ..
In your opinion are these on par with what you're suggesting, or they'll have to change style completely ..
Because in my opinion what I'd like to see is more of that .. i.e continuing the levels that aren't touched yet, continuing strikers, elites, thugs .. And improving already 'retextured characters further, instead of disregarding them and starting over ...
(example I tried to improve some characters with severed and VR style in the character retexture .. I'm satisfied with the Severed style face textures, But example for the fabric textures I know VR and uroboros can do better and improve them further than I did)

if you could for example take any existing texture .. Say striker chest or something (something simple if you don't have time) and improve it with the ways you're suggesting and post a screenshot ... Just so we know the direction it's gonna go.

Edit : to change title you redit your first post.

Last edited by Samer (02/19/13 15:02)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#6 02/19/13 15:02

ltemplar

Here is example in Fear Effect style - this is only test nothing fancy

screenshot00000h.jpg

Edit1. thanks Samer.

#7 02/19/13 15:02

Samer
Website

Ouh ok ..Yeah that looks nice ... (Personally i still prefer severed - hd konoko style, but of course that's only my opinion) don't know what other users would prefer.

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#8 02/19/13 15:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Is this a cross between a comic art style and a cel-shaded art style?

#9 02/19/13 16:02

ltemplar

sort of...

Don't take this as the reference however. It's more a test showing , that something like that can work in Oni engine.

Last edited by ltemplar (02/19/13 16:02)

#10 02/19/13 16:02

Iritscen

I have thought about that style for Oni in the past.  Still not sure how I feel about it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#11 02/19/13 16:02

ltemplar

Well it will look a lot better with entire level done like that(not only character/s), but for this you must wait a lite bit longer.

#12 02/19/13 17:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Honestly, I am not impressed with it. It looks more like Oni running in 16bit colors than any sort of an improvement.

#13 02/19/13 18:02

Jon God

I always thought something more Borderlands/XIII style would be great for Oni, I feel like it could give Oni more of a personality.

It is, however, a huge amount of work.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#14 02/19/13 19:02

Knox

I like the Fear Effect look. Cell shaded goes well with an anime game in my opinion.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#15 02/19/13 20:02

kyletm57

I think that the visuals need to preserve the "Dark Future" environment that Bungie was aiming for. If anything, I would like to see a reflection of recent cyberpunk media, such as "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" and the "Total Recall" remake (the colony section of the movie in particular). Without a doubt, lighting would play a key role in creating the vibe, however I'm not aware of the capabilities and limitations of the engine, so I don't really know what could be done regarding shadows and other lighting effects. In regards to the Fear Effect, I think it looks pretty cool, however I would need to take a look at a better example to get an idea if I really like it or not.

banner2440.jpg

#16 02/20/13 08:02

Dirk Gently
Website

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Last edited by Dirk Gently (02/20/13 08:02)

Board footer