Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/12/13 22:02

Samer
Website

Current job .. Dream job ?

For those who have jobs what is your current job / previous jobs and what would your ideal/dream job be ?

This is the back story of my experience:

When I was a little kid I always said I'm going to be a painter when I grow up (draw pictures and sell them or draw cartoon characters and work in animation)
that hobby slightly withered with time (I still love to draw/paint but I'm not as good at it as I was before) I used to draw those marvellous pictures on computer using nothing but the old mspaint on windows 95 or 2.0 or something, back when floppy disks were cool and before i got into video games or got internet .. I'd work on a picture for days and drew like dozens of pictures of nature, people, cartoon and superhero characters ... Till one day the computer crashed and I lost all of them and I was very disappointed, and since then I kinda lost motivation to draw (I did draw 200  pokemon characters by hand just by watching the anime few years after that computer incident)

then through high school I was determined to major something computer related as I found computers and computer software fascinating .. i'd go and read articles about how defragmentation works or about editing the registry or formating when others would just use it to chat or for facebook ...

but later I went into pharmacy to make use of all the biology and chemistry I studied at school (were my favorite subjects besides English Language) and because there aren't many jobs for computer related majors in my country ...
though I've later felt that as a community pharmacist where you sit at the store waiting for someone with a prescription to come so you sell them drugs would be so boring for me, while hospital pharmacy had a lot of responsibility (you could easily kill someone by misreading a drug name) which intimadated me ... and I regreted majoring in pharmacy ... Besides the fact that I enjoyed reading articles about what new software came out rather than what new medicine is there hmm
Then I thought I've always really enjoyed teaching, and tutoring others ... So I decided I'm going to continue and major in pharmacology (a sub branch of pharmacy) so that one day I become a professor at university and teach university students ... (I had a really bad pharmacology teacher at university and I put a lot of effort to study and understand the course on my own and once I understood it and later explained it to my classmates , I felt I could do a much better job in teaching this course than my teacher ... that was my motivation)
I haven't been able to pursue that further education due to financial issues ... So currently I'm teaching at a school for elemntary levels ... Kinda like an after-school (starts at 3pm) for the academically weaker children, where I work with them individually on various subjects (science, math and language) ... and though it's not rewarding financially it's rewarding emotionally when you see that they're improving and getting higher grades ...
So that's my current job and my dream job would also be teaching, but pharmacology for a university level (possible dream job) ... or a cartoon artist at an animation company like disney or pixar. (impossible dream job tongue)

What's your current job (if any), do you enjoy it ? and how far is it from your dream job or what you've always said you wanted to do when you grew up ? How did you come to have that job ? .. And any regrets in choosing your major or career paths ?

Last edited by Samer (02/12/13 22:02)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 02/12/13 23:02

Iritscen

Re: Current job .. Dream job ?

I had a similar chain of interests that I went through as a kid -- first, I wanted to write, then I started liking math and music, then in high school all I wanted to do was program.  But I didn't think I wanted to write code professionally, eight hours a day, and making a living from writing fiction is pretty hard, so instead I went into accounting.

After over a decade of that, I'm really ready for something else smile  I need to find a way to get some creative satisfaction from work, so I don't have to spend so much of my free time on creative hobbies.  My career is just something I fell into because people knew I liked numbers and suggested that I try accounting.  I wasn't thinking hard enough about my future, or else I would have considered a lot more options than I did, and settled on something different.  So it's entirely possible that at some point I will be going back to college.  It only recently occurred to me that I would probably really enjoy teaching, as well, but maybe later in life after I've done something more personally creative.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 02/13/13 00:02

Lithium

I've always wanted to be a baker.

Yes, a baker.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 02/13/13 07:02

Samer
Website

@ Iritscen I hope you'll get a job that will allow the use of your creativity, I can really relate to that ... it's often hard to balance between a job that makes a good living and at the same time be emotionally satisfying.

@lithium that sounds interesting ... go for it big_smile i feel such jobs (baker, barber ..) never die ...

#5 02/13/13 11:02

TheCreature

I really have little idea what my dream job would be.  Professional stunt coordinator/choreographer maybe?  Historical war expert?

Currently I'm working at a lumber yard.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#6 02/13/13 14:02

Delano762
Website

I've always wanted to be a landscape designer. You know.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#7 02/13/13 16:02

TheCreature

Yeah, that's fun.  I'd prefer something with a little more class.  Not quite as spectacular, but still pretty darn cool.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#8 02/13/13 16:02

Iritscen

I don't think Civil War Re-enactor is a high-paying job, but if that's your passion... smile

#9 02/13/13 18:02

TheCreature

Yeah, I'm still working on that.  I was thinking about something along the lines of a historical consultant for TV and movies.  Or a choreographer.

#10 02/13/13 20:02

Jon God

I currently work in retail.

I'd love to eventually be a producer on video games.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#11 02/14/13 13:02

Gumby

I work on mobile games. It's pretty sweet.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#12 02/14/13 13:02

Iritscen

They must have hired you without looking at your signature wink

#13 02/14/13 18:02

Samer
Website

Best current job goes to gumby tongue

#14 02/14/13 18:02

TOCS

@ Gumby: When you make a billion or two, please share the goods with us - in the sense of hiring old Bungie West to develop a sequel to Oni. smile

#15 02/14/13 20:02

kyletm57

I'm pursuing a career in education (trying to make that sound better than it is), but what I would really like is to progress in the field of music. I'm OK with FL studios, and I have played guitar for quite some time now, but I'm not exactly sure where to even start in making money off of it. I'm not hoping to get famous or anything like that, but working at/owning a recording studio or designing music for media (games in particular) would be fantastic.

banner2440.jpg

#16 02/15/13 11:02

Dirk Gently
Website

UX Designer and iOS/OS X developer. The way I describe my job is that "I make things that don't suck". I honestly cannot see myself doing much else.

#17 02/16/13 19:02

Samer
Website

Kyletm : a job in education can be very fullfilling emotionally ...
Good luck with the music thing sounds cool ... Maybe give us some new musical pieces for oni then tongue ?
@ Dirk i think you took the best current job from gumby tongue

#18 02/20/13 01:02

Gumby

Iritscen wrote:

They must have hired you without looking at your signature wink

Yup.

TOCS wrote:

@ Gumby: When you make a billion or two, please share the goods with us - in the sense of hiring old Bungie West to develop a sequel to Oni. smile

By the time I make a billion or two they will probably be retired. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#19 03/28/13 16:03

6opoDuJIo

>>For those who have jobs what is your current job / previous jobs and what would your ideal/dream job be ?
current job - C# developer
dream job?
robot programming, artifical intelligence, CV (computer vision)

Implement Oni with Unity3D engine :
https://github.com/6opoDuJIo/Oni-Round2

#20 03/29/13 05:03

Morkal

In the current situation when there is unemployment in the market and all the business have downfall.Its hard to get your ideal job.Because there is no more job choice are available in the market.I am currently working as consultant in a small organization.

Board footer