Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#76 01/22/13 12:01

Alloc
Website

Re: AE Installer 2

Samer wrote:

only suggestion i had was to keep user's prefered order when exiting.

That one seems to be really important to you as you ask over and over again big_smile
Is it that important? I mean ... it's just one single click after startup to get the desired sorting. (It is on my todo/toCheck-list though)

Samer wrote:

Also maybe a new icon for the program (with higher resolutions) ... would be nice ^_^

We've switched to another icon (in 0.99), though it is just a recolored one. Think we shouldn't get too far from the original as it is still the same concepts and not something completely new.

Samer wrote:

edit 1: just remembered i wanted to ask if 2 mods that are incompatible are checked what happens ? I haven't been able to test that.

It will show you a message about what mod is incompatible with which others and then aborts installation.

Samer wrote:

edit 2: when mandatory packs are updated i suggest it informs the user somehow that they've been updated ... Example after it launches it says onisplit has been updated to the latest version. (still automatically updated but we know that it's been updated .. ) important for modders and onisplit for example as new features are sometimes included or bugs discovered.

Ok smile

Iritscen wrote:

but I'd also like to have the mandatory (core) packages displayed somewhere in the AEI.

Would do another dialog as that information shouldn't be too interesting for most "normal" users wink

uroboros wrote:

Could someone post a screenshot of the new AE GUI, for the members who haven't got a chance to try it yet :>

Not right now, but really soon I think wink

Samer wrote:

When there are dependencies .. Example crazy casey by leus and casey by me.. When one checks crazy casey .. If possible casey should automatically be checked and greyed out till crazy casey is unchecked .. As of now it does install casey if a crazy casey is installed but it doesn't show casey checked ...

It is checked after installation and during installation you're informed that the mod that is depended on is being installed. I can't show dependencies prior to installation* because this information does only reside within the Mod_Info.cfg which can obviously only be read after it is downloaded wink
(* Yeah, that's only valid for first installation as afterwards you'll have the package downloaded already and the dep-information is there. But I don't really see that much of an advantage here)

Samer wrote:

And in the about dialogue maybe add a link ot OCF directly ..

Done.

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#77 01/22/13 13:01

Iritscen

Alloc wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

but I'd also like to have the mandatory (core) packages displayed somewhere in the AEI.

Would do another dialog as that information shouldn't be too interesting for most "normal" users wink

Actually, I disagree, I think normal players should be interested in what fixes are being made without their permission smile  I plan on filling out each package's Mod_Info.cfg with all available information, including version numbers and descriptions that might include changelogs, so I'd like for that info to be available in the same way as regular mods.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#78 01/22/13 13:01

Alloc
Website

Even if they "should" they won't be ... Furthermore I don't know of any good way to mix in those packages with the normal ones. IMHO there's just no point in showing a list of all grayed-out mods within a category. And you'd have mand.mods and mand.tools split up to the main dialog (mods) and tool-manager (tools). Why not just have a "Show mandatory packages" entry in the menu and open a dialog listing all those?

#79 01/22/13 13:01

Samer
Website

Alloc wrote:

That one seems to be really important to you as you ask over and over again big_smile

sorry if I came off pushy tongue not so important that i won't survive without it tongue but yes I do believe it's important, for me at least as i keep setting package number everytime i open it .. which believe me is a lot of times tongue .. I've actually made a huge post before why I think package number should be the default order instead of names (easier to see which mod overwites which eventhough they're compatible, and by arranging by pack number it's also arranging them by type and creator at same time as same type and creator use close numbers, when All mods are displayed), but i'm not going to ask to make it default since others may prefer name, therefore i'm asking for it to remember that I arrange them by pack number instead of name . If arranging by pack number as default is easier to be done, then it's the same for me....
About icon, cool I haven't seen 0.99 yet but as I said it was a trivial ''artsy'' suggestion, so forget i said anything about it smile.

It is checked after installation and during installation you're informed that the mod that is depended on is being installed

i didn't see that, maybe i was using a pack that's already downloaded like you said, will recheck. But yes again not an essential thing.

Last edited by Samer (01/22/13 13:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#80 01/22/13 13:01

Alloc
Website

About sort-saving: Will see wink

i didn't see that, maybe i was using a pack that's already downloaded like you said, will recheck. But yes again not an essential thing.

No matter if it needed to be downloaded in addition or not: You should always both get the information message during installation about the additional mod to be installed *and* all mods that were actually installed during the process (so including automaticly resolved dependencies) will get checked afterwards. If any of that doesn't work it's actually a bug wink

#81 01/22/13 16:01

Alloc
Website

@Samer: You might be interested in the latest version wink

#82 01/22/13 17:01

Iritscen

Alloc wrote:

Why not just have a "Show mandatory packages" entry in the menu and open a dialog listing all those?

Because I wanted to be able to see all information from each mandatory package's Mod_Info, and a "dialog" didn't sound like it would show that information.  I really think that those packages belong under their own menu choice called "Core" along with the other type of packages.  If you don't think it will look good to show a list of grayed-out mods, then just remove the checkboxes instead smile

#83 01/22/13 17:01

s10k
Website

Hi Alloc,

About dependencies, in my opinion you shouldn't ask user to install them or not, since for example slow internet users may let the computer alone downloading the mod and when they come they notice it didn't download everything due the mod dependency question.

I also think you should specify which mod is current being downloaded and if it is a dependency or not. Users may cancel the download if they desire pressing abort button. Here's my suggestions for implementing it in the gui:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2842/opt1.png
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2386/opt2.png

My preferred option is the second.

#84 01/22/13 17:01

Samer
Website

Alloc wrote:

@Samer: You might be interested in the latest version wink

thanks a lot Chris for the save sort order smile I appreciate it, and everything you have done so far.
Unfortunately (for me) I'm having the issue with not refreshing again (shows Severed packs, so it didn't go back to the much older one, but i made some changes to some of my mods' description a few hours ago and they're not showing) I don't suppose you simply forgot to include the change you made before that fixed it, in this version tongue ?
if not ... Since trying to force it to not cache and use proxy didn't work (actually worked for a while :s) could you force it to use a proxy that you know works for sure ? (or any other work around i can use on my pc to force it to either bypass proxies or use a proxy that works ? )

@ Iritscen: the tools dialogue of tools manager does show description and creator and all that smile only missing version number, so if mandatory packs would be displayed that way they'll have all the info you asked for.
I gotta agree with Alloc that if they're greyed out or the checkbox removed they'll look out of place when you select the -All- mod type.

Last edited by Samer (01/23/13 04:01)

#85 01/22/13 17:01

Samer
Website

@ Script since you're here I made some changes to your tool description (just corrected some grammar)
also could you please when you have time change the dependency of Old China form SMP-Characters to the individual : GoldenTCTF, Casey, Hayate, Hanako ? it only needs these 4 not all SMP-Characters so it doesn't make sense to download additional 40 Mb for that ..

#86 01/22/13 17:01

Iritscen

Oh, cool, I hadn't looked at the Tool Manager window in a while.  Yes, if version number could be added in there (which is a must, in my opinion), and then a copy of that dialog used for viewing Core Packages, then that would be perfect.

Four cosmetic bugs, since it sounds like you're ready to hear about these now:
- After downloading a mod, the "Size of files to download" field at the bottom of the main window does not reset right away.
- The download window should say "Elapsed" instead of "Elpased".
- "Downloadsize" in Tools window should be "Download size".
- Every mod's description field has an extra return at the top, that is, a blank line before the text starts.

By the way, I'm liking the new icon, thanks Script10k!

#87 01/22/13 18:01

s10k
Website

Samer wrote:

@ Script since you're here I made some changes to your tool description (just corrected some grammar)

No problem thanks.

also could you please when you have time change the dependency of Old China form SMP-Characters to the individual : GoldenTCTF, Casey, Hayate, Hanako ? it only needs these 4 not all SMP-Characters so it doesn't make sense to download additional 40 Mb for that ..

I will when the release version is out there. Right now was Alloc who updated the package and I need to put mac only scripts on there too. With this new version of AEI I think that characters megapack aren't necessary anymore since it's very easy to select all characters mods from a specific creator.

About the icon I think Alloc could use the high res one, 16x16 looks a bit bad at least here. (48x48 would be the minimum at my opinion)

@Alloc

Tools menu is missing the version number and last change.

Last edited by s10k (01/22/13 18:01)

#88 01/22/13 18:01

Iritscen

Script_10k wrote:

Right now was Alloc who updated the package and I need to put mac only scripts on there too.

I'm not sure if I caught your meaning here, but I just wanted to make sure you realize that the public beta of the Intel Mac build has 99.9% of the same commands/variables as the Windows version.  You shouldn't need to change any BSL for Macs.  So far this hasn't been reflected on the wiki, but I'm going to be updating that documentation (such as "PC vs. Mac") soon.

#89 01/22/13 19:01

s10k
Website

Seems slowmo command works differently on mac (EdT reported it when we were scripting the level) and that would require a different parameter on windows and mac.

Last edited by s10k (01/22/13 20:01)

#90 01/23/13 04:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

Unfortunately (for me) I'm having the issue with not refreshing again (shows Severed packs, so it didn't go back to the much older one, but i made some changes to some of my mods' description a few hours ago and they're not showing)

You can't "force a proxy" if that's one that is used by one of your ISPs in between you and the server. And there's no way to get around that one if it is misconfigured that heavily as it seems to be (otherwise it would never cache that file anymore). Sorry about that sad

Iritscen wrote:

Four cosmetic bugs, since it sounds like you're ready to hear about these now:
- After downloading a mod, the "Size of files to download" field at the bottom of the main window does not reset right away.
- The download window should say "Elapsed" instead of "Elpased".
- "Downloadsize" in Tools window should be "Download size".
- Every mod's description field has an extra return at the top, that is, a blank line before the text starts.

All done but the last one: Seems like I can't fix that on my side as I just put in the HTML from the Depot which starts with a <p>-Tag and this generates this margin sad

Script_10k wrote:

About the icon I think Alloc could use the high res one, 16x16 looks a bit bad at least here. (48x48 would be the minimum at my opinion)

Icon for what? I never used any 16x16 icon so I'm wondering what icon you're talking about wink
(Menu entries, program window icon, icon supplied with the installer for startmenu/desktop-link, any other place I didn't think of)

Script_10k wrote:

Tools menu is missing the version number and last change.

Done smile

Script_10k wrote:

About dependencies, in my opinion you shouldn't ask user to install them or not, since for example slow internet users may let the computer alone downloading the mod and when they come they notice it didn't download everything due the mod dependency question.

So I should just install them without asking but show a notice on what was additionally installed afterwards?

Will upload next version with mandatory-dialog soon (after actually integrating it wink )

#91 01/23/13 05:01

Samer
Website

Alloc wrote:

You can't "force a proxy" if that's one that is used by one of your ISPs in between you and the server. And there's no way to get around that one if it is misconfigured that heavily as it seems to be (otherwise it would never cache that file anymore). Sorry about that sad

thanks for everything you've done to help me with this issue smile it's my shi**y internet\country's fault. now that I think of it there were many times when I manually downloaded stuff from the depot or other sites or even updated programs and ended up with an old version :\ I didn't know it was a proxy issue at the time .. I found a work around though I used this program : http://www.hotspotshield.com/en I'm not sure what it does exactly but seems to change my IP address and when it does AEI , my browser, other programs download the right version changing proxy I presume .. but it slows my interent down therefore I'm gonna use it weekly to update my modcache and set that xml as readonly so it won't be overwriten everytime i open AEI with the older one smile:) I'll also try this something called proxyswitcher: http://www.proxyswitcher.com/force-prog … rvers.html once I understand what it says tongue

All done but the last one: Seems like I can't fix that on my side as I just put in the HTML from the Depot which starts with a <p>-Tag and this generates this margin sad

I actually think if you remove that space it will look a bit crowded and I prefer it it stays

Icon for what? I never used any 16x16 icon so I'm wondering what icon you're talking about wink

he means the green program icon smile though if i set a shortcut on desktop or start menu to the jar it gets a jar applet icon ..

So I should just install them without asking but show a notice on what was additionally installed afterwards?

I gotta disagree with script here ... It's better to ask you if you want to download them or not, reason : if you have a limited internet connection or slow and you select a few kb pack that turns out to need additional 40 mb dependency, you may decide it's not worth it or you don't have enough internet quota, time etc .. or prefer to postpone it. As a slow internet user, trust me on this one tongue

Script_10k wrote:

With this new version of AEI I think that characters megapack aren't necessary anymore since it's very easy to select all characters mods from a specific creator.

yes I agree, I'm still thinking about options to do with it .. make it a meta-pack like Alloc suggested .. or cancelling it all together and use that package number for the fight-club mod we've worked on, or making an even smaller demo mod of sorts to demonstrate best of my characters for testing purposes before users decide if they want to download all of them .. or i might combine it with smp-conversion and fight club thus no dependency will be used as they're all in same pack labeled sammegapack ... and the separate smp-conversion and fight-club still available (with dependencies on the character single packs) for those who have the individual packs.
so for now guys don't set any pack to be dependent on smp-characters .. use dependency on individual packs instead .. i did that for dream lab and smp-conversion and crazycasey .. old china is left.

Last edited by Samer (01/23/13 05:01)

#92 01/23/13 05:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

I found a work around though I used this program : http://www.hotspotshield.com/en I'm not sure what it does exactly but seems to change my IP address and when it does AEI , my browser, other programs download the right version changing proxy I presume .. but it slows my interent down therefore I'm gonna use it weekly to update my modcache and set that xml as readonly so it won't be overwriten everytime i open AEI with the older one smile:) I'll also try this somethign called proxyswitcher: http://www.proxyswitcher.com/force-prog … rvers.html once I understand what it says tongue

First one will work as it does basically tunnel your connection to a point where your ISPs don't have any influence anymore. Second will not as it still only changes stuff on your PC wink

Samer wrote:

he means the green program icon smile

The program icon which is used for taskbar/window handle bar is 256² so that definitely shouldn't be the one he's talking about wink

Samer wrote:

though if i set a shortcut on desktop or start menu to the jar it gets a jar applet icon ..

Yup, a shortcut takes the icon from the filetype be default unless the file is an icon-file or executable with embedded icons. A jar is neither so you'll end up with the icon associated with jars. The installer for the AEI therefore does provide an icon which is set for the shortcut to be used. And the installer is what should be used later on wink

Samer wrote:

I gotta disagree with script here ... It's better to ask you if you want to download them or not, reason : if you have a limited interent connection or slow and you select a few kb pack that turns out to need additional 40 mb dependency you may decide it's not worth it or you don't have enough internet quota, time etc .. or prefer to postpone it. As a slow internet user, trust me on this one tongue

Ok, that's 1:1 here wink
And I understand both of your points. Perhaps I'll make that an option wink

#93 01/23/13 06:01

s10k
Website

he means the green program icon smile

Yes I mean the icon on \Oni\Edition\AEInstaller\ file. The ones which comes with the 0.99 installer. At least here windows is reporting that it's 16x16.

And I understand both of your points. Perhaps I'll make that an option

Indeed that as option would be much better I think I will prefer skip the question and download them directly (showing the name and if it's a dependency like the guis ideas that I posted). Showing also a resume of what was downloaded at the end may be also interesting.

Last edited by s10k (01/23/13 06:01)

#94 01/23/13 06:01

Alloc
Website

Script_10k wrote:

Yes I mean the icon on \Oni\Edition\AEInstaller\ file. The ones which comes with the 0.99 installer. At least here windows is reporting that it's 16x16.

Hm, the icon contains both 32x32 and 16x16. Is only the wrong one used with the shortcuts or is it also when you open the icon itself?

Script_10k wrote:

Indeed that as option would be much better I think I will prefer skip the question and download them directly (showing the name and if it's a dependency like the guis ideas that I posted). Showing also a resume of what was downloaded at the end may be also interesting.

Done. "Resumé" only contains the mods that were selected in addition to the manually selected ones though.

#95 01/23/13 14:01

Samer
Website

Chris Chris big_smile feature suggestion .. I was looking through some older mods and updating them with the proper incompatability and dependency http://mods.oni2.net/node/106 .. some mods like this one can change the save file adding more save points and even after you uninstall the mod the added save points remain, can we have an Option in the AEI to backup and restore the game save file ? (i know it's a simple copying of persist.dat but could be a nice feature if it's not too much trouble smile)
in the menu have a "backup game save file" you can save it anywhere under any name or have the creation date automatically added to it, and once you select to restore it, it is automatically copied to the right location and renamed.

Last edited by Samer (01/23/13 14:01)

#96 01/24/13 11:01

Samer
Website

Alloc how can i disable AEI from overwritieng the modepottcache  ... setting as read only did the trick before but not anymore .. did you change how the moddepotcache is written ? maybe now it's deleted first rather than replaced ?

Last edited by Samer (01/25/13 06:01)

#97 01/24/13 23:01

Samer
Website

sorry to triple post .. but there's a bug i think.
I updated hanako with dependency to character additives.
I download and check hanako .. AEI says :
there are unmet dependencies .. following mods are already downloaded and will be selected <None> (here it should say character additives not none) These mods will have to be additionally downloaded <None> (that's true)
same for any other 2 dependenices if already downloaded but not checked it says none ..
Using 0.99 d

EDIT: actually it says <none> if the dependency needs to be downloaded too .. not only if it's already downloaded.

but while downloading it does show what its downloading and if it's a dependency.

p.s to iritscen the 7 packs i mentioned that need 23900 dep and 34000 incompat .. I've updated them except smp .. So you don't need to anymore.

Last edited by Samer (01/25/13 06:01)

#98 01/25/13 07:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

... Savegame backups ...

Could, but as this not really that deeply related with the AE(I) I'll at least postpone that one to a later update wink

Samer wrote:

Alloc how can i disable AEI from overwritieng the modepottcache  ... setting as read only did the trick before but not anymore .. did you change how the moddepotcache is written ? maybe now it's deleted first rather than replaced ?

0.99e supports running with "-offline" now, so you can force it not to overwrite the cache. Although this will also disable the download-features for mods/tools.
Also added "-nocacheupdate" which does only disable refreshing the local cache.

Samer wrote:

... dependencies bug ...

Fixed smile

#99 01/25/13 09:01

Iritscen

Samer wrote:

p.s to iritscen the 7 packs i mentioned that need 23900 dep and 34000 incompat .. I've updated them except smp .. So you don't need to anymore.

Okay, thanks ^_^;  Sorry, I'd been too distracted between work and other Oni stuff to get to that.

#100 01/25/13 12:01

Samer
Website

Alloc wrote:

0.99e supports running with "-offline" now, so you can force it not to overwrite the cache. Although this will also disable the download-features for mods/tools.
Also added "-nocacheupdate" which does only disable refreshing the local cache.

Thanks Chris .. I'm not sure if I misunderstood but how do I access these features ? I downloaded 0.99 e i can't find a way to make it run offline or to use the nochacheupdate

Board footer