Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/18/13 16:01

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

AE Installer 2

Sorry, I had to close the prior topic due to database issues (thanks a lot, Iritscen tongue).

Please carry on with the topic here.

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#2 01/18/13 17:01

Iritscen

Re: AE Installer 2

Alloc made me do it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 01/18/13 18:01

Samer
Website

Mmm about the mod string thing .. I always use name with no ''weird'' characters like Iritscen said and I believe other modders do too, they kinda have to cz AE installer won't show the mods in list if the folder's name has weird characters .... even demos's gui which new modders use to create mod packages asks you to have a mod string or folder name and rejects it if it has weird characters
The mods on the depot which use ''weird'' names are i believe very few ... I can manually go and rename them for you on the depot if that solves it .. Muro_Liar_Mission1 .. is acceptable for example.
Also what i don't get is when it downloads a mod. The mod on the depot is a zip and inside it is a folder that's already named according to the rules and has no weird characters .. Why not simply preserve this name .. (don't look it up on the depot when it creates the folder .. Instead look up the name of the folder inside the zip / downloaded mod)

meaning true maybe muro's liar title on the depot has weird characters but the folder inside the zip doesn't  (old AE installer won't show it up in the list if has weird characters ) so can't the names be generated\preserved from there ?

I personally can live with the - _ instead of having no names at all. From a player's perspective they won't need to explore the folders much but from modders perspective we do, scenario : usually when i'm making a new package or combo pack for example sammegapack or when I recently uploaded the various fixes  i copy paste files from several folder packages .. So when i'm on windows 7 opening folders and moving files it seems a bit of a hassle to have AEinstaller open too and open each folder from there instead of windows explorer. (except if I memorize the package numbers tongue)
(can you tell me how AEI works when it downloads a mod from the depot ? Does it download the zip into temp and then extract the folder from it to packages, if so can't it preserve the name of the folder inside it.. Or is the zip extracting done somewhere online somehow)
P.s about the daodon yes i presume the AEI replaced the one i had which usually hid the taskbar .. However i think i made a backup of my bink32 that worked before .. I'll check and upload it in a few hours

p.s : i'm having a hard time expressing what i mean, also because i'm not sure how the folder name is generated with the new AEI, I realize there's a lot of repetition in my post :$

Last edited by Samer (01/18/13 18:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#4 01/18/13 19:01

Samer
Website

ok testing the new version of AE installer Alloc sent me smile

*The first start took a lot less time, from about 15+ mins to 36610 msec  ! whatever you did Chris, good job tongue
*The package names are showing in the folders
*Online and Downloaded filter added and working great
*Creator and state column added working well

so for me, that's all I hoped AE installer 2 would be big_smile can't think of anything else to suggest except keeping the user's preferred order when exiting, if possible, but it's not a major issue.

ouh btw just wondering what does "manage tools" under settings do ? nothing shows up when i select it tongue

Last edited by Samer (01/18/13 19:01)

#5 01/18/13 20:01

Iritscen

Alloc's fast, isn't he?  I have a lot of catching up to do on my side.  The tools window is going to be for any tools you've installed smile

#6 01/18/13 21:01

Alloc
Website

On folder names: I want to have an reliable way to get them, so just "assuming" that people name their mods right isn't enough wink

Samer wrote:

Also what i don't get is when it downloads a mod. The mod on the depot is a zip and inside it is a folder that's already named according to the rules and has no weird characters .. Why not simply preserve this name

Cause there's just to much that can happen when creating a zip-archive. For instance, you could:
- have an additional folder level in the archive
- no folder for the package itself in the archive at all
- have additional folders beside the package itself (as Mac-users tend to generate their Zip's cause MacOS adds crap folders almost anywhere)
So I have to unpack based on where I found the Mod_Info.cfg and must make up the folder name on some other source wink

Samer wrote:

I personally can live with the - _ instead of having no names at all. ...

I think too that it should be ok the way it is now. Normal users won't look at the folder names anyway and for modders the important part is to be able to easily identify the mod-folders. It's not about loveliness of folder names wink

Samer wrote:

(can you tell me how AEI works when it downloads a mod from the depot ?

Download to temp, unzip to packages, but as stated before that's not as easy as one could assume at first glance.

Samer wrote:

P.s about the daodon yes i presume the AEI replaced the one i had which usually hid the taskbar .. However i think i made a backup of my bink32 that worked before .. I'll check and upload it in a few hours

The current one works too, you just have to set "usedaodangl=false" in the "Patch" section of daodan.ini (see http://wiki.oni2.net/Daodan_DLL/Beta). Could distribute it with the package but that would also mean you couldn't overwrite it yourself so we'll see how we can do this.

Samer wrote:

ouh btw just wondering what does "manage tools" under settings do ? nothing shows up when i select it tongue

Yeah, that's not one of the most important dialogs so I didn't find the time to implement it yet wink
As Iritscen stated you'll be able to download/"(un)install"/update/start tools from AEI2. Currently the only "tools" we have are mandatory tools so won't see them, but in future other tools could be made as packages too.

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#7 01/18/13 23:01

Samer
Website

I didn't understand all what you guys said about the daodon tongue but good luck with it smile
Chris i forgot but when I asked if we'll be able to select which packs to update and which not if several updates are available ... You said not currently .. But it's a planned feature right :$ ? cz i like to use severed pack for example version 1 instead of 2, or if a huge pack is updated and you just want to update a tiny one ..
Also if the depot nodes for packs with several files will need to be changed some time .. I'll need someone's help with reuploading some of my bigger packs :$ or if you could inform me as early as you can when i should do the changes to have time to re-upload stuff.
Sounds good for the tools btw .. Basically demos's gui and script's vago are the main tools I use, would onisplit itself be considered a tool and be ''updatable'' from there ?
Thanks for everything smile

Last edited by Samer (01/19/13 04:01)

#8 01/19/13 05:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

Chris i forgot but when I asked if we'll be able to select which packs to update and which not if several updates are available ...

Already in 0.91 wink

Samer wrote:

I'll need someone's help with reuploading some of my bigger packs :$

Sure. Was going to ask anyway if I should update the packages as it is just a bit of manual work but won't change anything related to the mod as is smile

Samer wrote:

would onisplit itself be considered a tool and be ''updatable'' from there ?

It already is. It's just that it is mandatory, so you don't have the choice to do it manually. It is automatically updated when there's an update.

Regards,
Chris

PS: 0.92b startup could be another ~5 times faster when it's released wink

#9 01/19/13 08:01

Samer
Website

Samer wrote:

is it because some of them (Casey, Hayate, Jester, Hasegawas, SamMegaPack) have more than 1 file on their mod page ?

Alloc wrote:

Yup

Some can be merged (Win Mac in one package as the new format supports that), some have older revisions besides the current one, someare just multiple different packages in one node. Still I suppose waiting with the necessary changes til I'm a bit closer to the release, wanted to contact the submitters of such mods anyway with an exact list of what to do.

mm so how will it work exactly :$ example I have the megapack characters for pc and another 1 for mac each is 40  mb .. How would i combine them in 1 package ? 1 zip with 2 folder-packages inside it for example ? (then it will be an 80 Mb download :s ?) ... Or would it be better to have 2 nods (mod pages) 1 for the Mac and one for PC ?

also for the mods with more than 1 version on same page severed 1 and severed 2 what would the best solution be to keep both available.

Some of my mods have mac-sounds and instruct user to download pc pack then replace the sound folder for example. These could be made a complete mac package instead. I'll try to get started on that.
And i'll split some of the mods with multiple packages on 1 page like smp-characters and smp-conversion

but :$ isn't there anyway for the AEI to be able to read the nod if it has several packs and prompt user to choose which one when downloading ? like when there are options (i have lighter textures for casey uploaded for those who prefer it for example, so that won't apply to mac-pc combining, nor does it deserve a separate mod page)
so far you've done things with AEI i didn't think would be possible tongue so i'll keep my fingers crossed for this one too though it seems difficult to do.

#10 01/19/13 08:01

Samer
Website

*Deleted*
My cell phone browser double posted by mistake

Last edited by Samer (01/19/13 08:01)

#11 01/19/13 08:01

Alloc
Website

As I said I suggest *not* doing anything right now. From what I got from your post I think you'd do some things that won't fit the idea of how stuff's supposed to work later on wink
(And no, it won't be a 80 MiB download but one with 40 wink )

Let's just wait til after the weekend and we'll probably be ready to get on the package-update business wink

PS: 0.92b is uploaded, should reduce your startup time to below 10sec.

Last edited by Alloc (01/19/13 08:01)

#12 01/19/13 17:01

Samer
Website

Alloc I replied to your email about the depot updates, just in case you don't get it. I really hope it's not too much trouble for you.

2 more suggestions, if I may :$
how about an arrange by ''upload date'' column so users can easily know what mods are new since they last opened AEI. Or any other method to highlight the recent mods.
And if possible a right click on package name in list to open the corresponding depot page in the web browser (useful for modders to edit their depot pages quickly)

Last edited by Samer (01/19/13 17:01)

#13 01/19/13 18:01

Alloc
Website

Noted wink

#14 01/20/13 03:01

Samer
Website

There's also the nod page for Severed (I uploaded Severed version 2 and 1 before) so i guess solution here is to make 2 pages one for 1 and for version 2.

There's also junkyard (3 files on same page) ... Junkyardnoblue i think can be removed as i believe this was an issue with old bink32 showing wrong colors for reflective textures, isn't necessary anymore since we're all going to use the newer bink32.
There's 80211junkyardozg2.0 on same nod page this is by me i think we can move this to another nod and add a dependency on 80210junkyard

#15 01/20/13 05:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

There's also the nod page for Severed (I uploaded Severed version 2 and 1 before) so i guess solution here is to make 2 pages one for 1 and for version 2.

Isn't just version 2 interesting? Any reason to keep 1?

Samer wrote:

Junkyardnoblue i think can be removed as i believe this was an issue with old bink32 showing wrong colors for reflective textures, isn't necessary anymore since we're all going to use the newer bink32.

Are you sure this is definitely resolved for both Mac and Win by now?

Samer wrote:

There's 80211junkyardozg2.0 on same nod page this is by me i think we can move this to another nod and add a dependency on 80210junkyard

Yup, that's true smile

#16 01/20/13 08:01

s10k
Website

Can you add the date of the upload of each package in the right side (or as Samer suggested) of the installer (so we know if they are recent or ancient)? Adding the version number would also be a plus.

Btw not sure if it's problem of the installer but when I install HD screens I get the menu like this:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/797/onihdscreens.png

Also what's the use right now for the "Readme" in mod_info.cfg? Seems even in offline mode it goes only search for the description on depot.

Not sure if it's a bug or a todo function:
Open Edition folder doesn't work here.

Last edited by s10k (01/20/13 08:01)

#17 01/20/13 08:01

Iritscen

Alloc wrote:
Samer wrote:

Junkyardnoblue i think can be removed as i believe this was an issue with old bink32 showing wrong colors for reflective textures, isn't necessary anymore since we're all going to use the newer bink32.

Well, maybe we need to be the ones answering that question smile

#18 01/20/13 08:01

Alloc
Website

Script_10k wrote:

Can you add the date of the upload of each package in the right side (or as Samer suggested) of the installer (so we know if they are recent or ancient)?

Already in 0.94.

Script_10k wrote:

Adding the version number would also be a plus.

Don't know why I never added it ... will be on the content pane in 0.95.

Script_10k wrote:

Btw not sure if it's problem of the installer but when I install HD screens I get the menu like this:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/797/onihdscreens.png

Can't reproduce this on Linux/Wine, but on Windows XP in a VM. Investigating further. Thanks for the report smile

Iritscen wrote:
Alloc wrote:
Samer wrote:

Well, maybe we need to be the ones answering that question smile

Hm, I could only try if it works on my PC on Win wink
But I also don't know what exactly to look for.

#19 01/20/13 09:01

Iritscen

The HD Screens issue is that the Main Menu graphics are not in the HD Screens package at all smile  They were always in the AE's Globalize package, and were simply activated by the installation of the HD Screens (the TXMB linking to them was in the HD package).  You can find them in Globalize/level0_Final/level0_Textures/.  The reason for the separation of files is that we had to edit the screens for each new release of the AE to update the date on them.  Perhaps now that the AE is becoming "dateless", we can simply place those files with a generic AE title into the HD Screens package.

#20 01/20/13 09:01

Samer
Website

Alloc I'm gonna reply to your email here and report other stuff here so everything I want to say is in one place tongue.

Thanks for Updating Jester, Casey and Hasegawas for me smile

Regarding Hayate I'm sorry in the email I meant OSBDhay_taunts.amb and OSBDhay_taunts.grp .. and yes OSBD files are cross compatible since they're only an xml listing links to the SNDD .. the SNDD format is different. The Mac OSBDtaunts would refer to taunt2 which we removed. so I'm gonna trouble you with combining it :$

Regarding SMP thank you for organizing the sounds folders and making a mac-comaptible and a win-compatible folder I know that wasn't too easy .. but could I trouble you with it one more time ? since you removed character additives form it, could you add the dependency to 23900 in its Mod.cfg please :$ ? Iritscen agreed to include ONCVs and ONVL form character additives I'm not sure he agreed on the impact effects too (would be nice but unlike ONCVs which are finalized the hit impact file and effects may still get many updates as I make new characters) so SMP-Characters does need the impact files in the additives to work .. I'd appreciate it if you added the dependency and re-uploaded it .. would be better for the long run anyway.

There's also something I'm not sure about SMP-Conversion we added a dependency on SMP-Characters, However one can play SMP-Conversion if he has the single character packages without need for the SMP-characters .. do you think it's better to remove the dependency here ? or is there a way to have an "OR" ... depends either on SMP-Character OR on all the individual ones tongue ?

Regrading Junkyard .. thanks for moving the 80211 to another nod .. however I went and modified the description and name on the depot to more accurately describe what it does (original Junkayrd has zen Garden too, this doesn't replace the arena with Zen Garden but updates the original zen garden to support more characters smile )
regarding junkyardnoblue, yes I believe so it was only caused by an old bink32not supporting reflective textures, those who had the problem in the beginning were on PC (Bozzman and someone else I don't recall whom)... but I believe Edt has a backup if we ever need it.

For Severed Package .. some people prefer version 1 (myself included tongue) they have different art styles I took the liberty to upload version 1 to another mod page with a different package number 23999 while version 2 is 24000.

there was also HQ Muro Textures where I've uploaded a lighter version with a smoother face texture to the same page .. I also took the liberty to move the lighter one to another node, like you did for Casey.

I think that concludes the compatibilities with the depot ... suggestion for Iritscen in the future maybe disable ability to upload more than 1 file to same page as it would render the mod incompatible with AEI (in case someone forgets and uploads another file to it tongue) ...

I've tested 0.94 .. some feedback :
thanks for adding the arrange by date option big_smile
thanks for adding the open mod page from browser ^_^ and open Edition folder works for me

However some bugs :
*When I edit the mod page to make a change .. example I just split Severed packs to 2 pages and modified description .. even after I exit and re-open the AEI .. it's not getting refreshed (updated) to show them or show the description change, and even after I deleted ModDepotCache the changes are not showing :S
* this is trivial but on the right panel Submitter should be title or Mod Name ... a version number would be nice but will it show the version you have or that on the depot ?

Last edited by Samer (01/20/13 09:01)

#21 01/20/13 09:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

Regarding Hayate I'm sorry in the email I meant OSBDhay_taunts.amb and OSBDhay_taunts.grp .. and yes OSBD files are cross compatible since they're only an xml listing links to the SNDD .. the SNDD format is different.

Kk, doing so now.

Samer wrote:

since you removed character additives form it, could you add the dependency to 23900 in its Mod.cfg please :$ ? Iritscen agreed to include ONCVs and ONVL form character additives I'm not sure he agreed on the impact effects too (would be nice but unlike ONCVs which are finalized the hit impact file and effects may still get many updates as I make new characters) so SMP-Characters does need the impact files in the additives to work .. I'd appreciate it if you added the dependency and re-uploaded it .. would be better for the long run anyway.

We're not yet 100% sure on what parts of 23900 will get mandatory (so no dep needed) and which not. We'll have to update the package-dependencies later on wink

Samer wrote:

There's also something I'm not sure about SMP-Conversion we added a dependency on SMP-Characters, However one can play SMP-Conversion if he has the single character packages without need for the SMP-characters .. do you think it's better to remove the dependency here ? or is there a way to have an "OR" ... depends either on SMP-Character OR on all the individual ones tongue ?

Thought about having an OR myself today ... but that would probably make stuff a lot more complicated wink
I've got another idea: As far as I can tell SMP-chars is only a collection of different char-packages? If so, we could make SMP-chars empty and only make it depend on all the chars that you included in it (aka making SMP-chars a meta-package). This would still install all chars if you select SMP-chars but remove the trouble we now have with SMP-conversion. Furthermore people can still download single chars first and decide to select the big all-in-one-package later on. And it makes it easier to update for you (you only have to replace the single chars, not the collection-zip each time).
Would you be ok with that? Is there anything else within SMP-chars that's not in another self-contained package?

Samer wrote:

For Severed Package .. some people prefer version 1 (myself included tongue) they have different art styles I took the liberty to upload version 1 to another mod page with a different package number 23999 while version 2 is 24000.

Just changed to numbers +1 so v1 is 24000 and v2 is 24001 as you're always supposed to make single mods have a number in one range of **000 - **999.

Samer wrote:

*When I edit the mod page to make a change .. example I just split Severed packs to 2 pages and modified description .. even after I exit and re-open the AEI .. it's not getting refreshed (updated) to show them or show the description change, and even after I deleted ModDepotCache the changes are not showing :S

That's normal when you're too fast wink
In order to get the quick Depot updates working I'm using a server side information cache. That one is only updated every three minutes. So you'll always have to wait until the next multiple of 3 + ~20sec (e.g. 15:36:20).

Samer wrote:

* this is trivial but on the right panel Submitter should be title or Mod Name ... a version number would be nice but will it show the version you have or that on the depot ?

Oh, don't know how that got in there wink
Now it's title + another field submitter.

Thanks for your help and input smile

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by Alloc (01/20/13 09:01)

#22 01/20/13 10:01

Iritscen

I may or may not have successfully set the Depot to only accept 1 attachment in the future smile  It seems to be working, but I had read that it wasn't possible, so either I'm confused or a lot of other people are.

#23 01/20/13 10:01

s10k
Website

@Alloc
I was probably editing my post while you was answering it, can you check the last two questions?

#24 01/20/13 10:01

Alloc
Website

Yup, didn't notice those two smile

Script_10k wrote:

Also what's the use right now for the "Readme" in mod_info.cfg? Seems even in offline mode it goes only search for the description on depot.

All fields marked with an asterisk in the description on the Wiki are only used when the Depot doesn't contain the package. So if you create a new package, *don't* upload it to the Depot then those fields from the Mod_Info.cfg are used. As soon as AEI finds the package on the Depot the description (and the other stuff marked) is used from there.

Script_10k wrote:

Not sure if it's a bug or a todo function: Open Edition folder doesn't work here.

Could you please try again and send me the aei_output.log (and if it exists aei_error.log).

#25 01/20/13 10:01

Samer
Website

about SMP-Characters for now .. I'd rather keep it as a collection as it's meant to have fewer characters than all of them combined (less outfits) for those who don't want the whole thing ... the size would be much larger if all packs are downloaded individually .. and in case one wants to have all of them in 1 folder for offline use  ... once the new AE is released and finalized I'll look more into the meta-pack idea tongue it's interesting for sure.
but please for now can you add the dependency or restore the character additives to it ? (particularity the impacts and oncvs) ? as for now it's not functional .. if someone downloads it now it won't run ... It doesn't say he should install Character Additives nor does it include it :$ sad

Board footer