Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 01/10/13 15:01

Iritscen

Re: All time favorite games ..

There are some parts in Deus Ex:HR where your next checkpoint is down a straight hallway from your last checkpoint ^_^  Whereas I still get lost every time I play some Marathon levels, even though I use the automap!  Frankly I think the ideal is somewhere between the two extremes.  Sadly, as I get older and have less free time, I actually find myself wanting the hand-holding.  I'm no longer willing to spend the time trying a certain area 20 or 30 times until I can pass it (anyone remember the rock boss from MM1)?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#27 01/10/13 16:01

ltemplar

Well..The "hand-holding syndrome" is nothing more than inability for creators to "hold" player longer in their product. I'm 2-th generation player with really small amount of free time, but I can understand the difference between "that somebody don't have time for this" and "to much simplification in game". And there is on excuse for me in situation where new game is "cut" from everything that can be to "frustrating" for "casual" player (read require thinking/ or skills). This is pretty nice excuse to: why AI can't be smart, why player can't do this, Why all games are so repetitive, why we get always the same armament , puzzles , etc, etc ,etc.
But there is also the other side of the coin.
At first that was a engine or that time hardware border. Now it is the "lazinesses" of the creators "For what purpose we will do this if this require thinking(read :player will stop and look at the things we don't want him to see). No lets do this simple. but mask it by fireworks..this will work , this alway work". This is huge psychology behind this...
So thats why every new Call of Duty is so popular even if this is the same shit served , all the time(see how many game industries employ psychologists nowadays then you will understand).

Last edited by ltemplar (01/10/13 16:01)

#28 01/10/13 17:01

Dirk Gently
Website

Oni
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
Stubbs the Zombie
Halo
Borderlands 1
Civilization 2
Ghost Recon

#29 01/10/13 17:01

Samer
Website

ltemplar no offense but I determine what games is ''good'' for me or not or is my favorite .. not you .. so I wish you'd stop arguing just for the sake of arguing and filling posts.
What makes a game good ? gameplay, story, character, and graphics. a combination of these elements. At the time tomb raider one had all those for me. later the bad graphics overshadowed the gameplay and story thus one of the elements doesn't click anymore ... and though it remains memorable and one of my favorite games it's not worth a re-play for me, that doesn't mean however that the graphics were the only reason I played it like you said, because there are many other more visually pleasing games that I don't like example Legend and Angel of Darkness. And a more obvious example is Oni, graphically compared to newer games it sucks but I keep coming back to it. So please don't put words in my mouth or make assumptions on my behalf.

And answering " So why would i go replay 1 when I have anniversary." - because Anniversary is different from the first tomb rider - thats why(its more legend than the first one or the second one)- the only similar thing is the story and Lara.

saying that shows how little you know about both games, if you play Anniversary and hear the commentary from the makers and screenshots of comparison between one and anniversary, you'll see that it's a remake in pretty much very aspect, while making stuff bigger and more beautiful visually and more elaborate at points .. "the only similar thing is Lara and the story" .. duh what else is left ? and the areas and the whole feel of it .. the controls are different and she can do more true but that doesn't define the game, and as you implied the character and story are more important than graphics so the fact that Anniversary is my favorite and not Legend or Underworld further proves my point that it wasn't only the graphics that made me love Tomb Raider one. If they remake tomb raider 2 or 3 I'd prefer it more than a new Tomb Raider title.
and I'd appreciate it if we could stick to the title of this thread and not turn it to another lengthy irrelevant back and forth thing like usual.

Iritscen wrote:

Sadly, as I get older and have less free time, I actually find myself wanting the hand-holding.  I'm no longer willing to spend the time trying a certain area 20 or 30 times until I can pass it (anyone remember the rock boss from MM1)?

I'm feeling like that lately too :\ I'm actually replaying tomb raider anniversary right now and though before i thought there were many checkpoints, now i wish there were more or that artifacts are easier to find cz I'm getting lazy to back track.

Last edited by Samer (01/10/13 19:01)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#30 01/11/13 03:01

ltemplar

"saying that shows how little you know about both games, if you play Anniversary and hear the commentary from the makers and screenshots of comparison between one and anniversary," - That is a little bit rude statement, and untrue. I played and finished both titles many times(especially the first one)..and I know the difference between them.
The Anniversary edition is done on, and use the TR legend: mechanics, graphics, weapon usage, levels creation (the addition abilities forced them to make thous levels differently),quick time events, boss fights, etc ,etc ,etc. So it's true what I wrote.

"So please don't put words in my mouth or make assumptions on my behalf."- and where I done that?

"ltemplar no offense but I determine what games is ''good'' for me or not or is my favorite .. not you .. so I wish you'd stop arguing just for the sake of arguing and filling posts."- That wasn't my intention.

"I'd appreciate it if we could stick to the title of this thread and not turn it to another lengthy irrelevant back and forth thing like usual."- if you don't like it then don't post topics that leave so much room for discussion. And I'm not the one who start all this...

#31 01/11/13 08:01

Samer
Website

EDIT : i had another reply here but decided to delete it. Because it will just go on forever with you ltemplar. One of us doesn't know when to stop.

Anyway back on topic i really recommend ''second sight''

Last edited by Samer (01/11/13 08:01)

#32 01/11/13 17:01

guido
Website

Leaving Oni aside, my hot picks are:
-Myth The Fallen Lords, Myth II Soulblighter
-Riven, Exile, Myst IV Revelation
-Buried in Time - The Journeyman Project 2, and every title in the Journeyman Project series!
-Halo Combat evolved
-Thunder Force IV
-Streets of Rage II
-Metal Slug II
-Three Wonders (arcade)
-Pandemonium
-Three Wonders
-Beyond Dark Castle
-Space Harrier
-Jewel Master
-Tetris
-Micromachines (playstation)
-Pandemonium (playstation)
-Total Eclipse (3dO)
-Golden Axe I (arcade) & Golden Axe 2 (genesis version)
-Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat, Warhammer - Dark Omen
-Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 2
-Combat — Atari 2600

Last edited by guido (01/11/13 17:01)

What if this is as good as it gets?

#33 01/11/13 17:01

Delano762
Website

It's a little bit hard for me to judge that one game is definitely better than the other one, because not many games impress me to an extreme degree. That's why the the categories are somewhat untypical:
Video games of all time:
1. Oni
2. Nocturne (atmosphere of Interwar Period is incredible)
3. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (I didn't love this game for realism and insane difficulty, but for the greatly done and long, gameplay varied campaign, which enabled you to play as a simple rifleman, tank commander, a pilot and a sneaky special forces commando)
Fav TPSes:
1. Freedom Fighters (gunfights with the Soviet Red Army, when they are at their best, are even more intense than those in a COD campaign)
2. The Thing (It's nothing outstanding, but I liked the gameplay very much.)
GTA clones which beat the original:
1. Bully (GTA in school with good fighting system? Fuck yeah!)
2. Mercenaries Playground of Destruction (Only TPS which allows you to call in various military aids, from a supply box containing an M4 and medkit to an airlifted North Korean BMP-1, from a laser guided missile and bunker busters, through 120mm artillery and tomahawk missiles, ending on a full carpet bombing. Anytime you want.)
Best Playstation 2 platformers (Note that I haven't played Klonoa 2, it might be a blast):
1. Sly Cooper and The Thievius Raccoonus (Awesome atmosphere/climate and soundtrack)
2. Ratchet & Clank 1
3. Jak 2 (This game is incredibly similar to Half-Life 2 in its plot and setting, and somehow it beats it)
Favorite series/platformer/hero:
Rayman. I loved the 3rd one most for the incredible level design.

I might add something more if I recall something tomorrow or sometime else.

Lukas Kreator wrote:

By the way... Citizen Kabuto, I keep hearing that name... What is it about?

5 beer-loving British soldiers called Meccaryns equipped with jetpacks and firepower comparable to USAF, go on a simple CSAR mission to find their playboy comrade (one of that five). But everything goes FUBAR and they end up allying with a half-naked Sea Reaper (blue-skinned red-eyed witch) and going on a full-scale war with other Reapers and a cannibal, wrestling-loving monster which is hundreds times bigger than them.

Last edited by Delano762 (01/11/13 17:01)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#34 01/11/13 19:01

Knox

Delano762 wrote:

5 beer-loving British soldiers called Meccaryns equipped with jetpacks and firepower comparable to USAF, go on a simple CSAR mission to find their playboy comrade (one of that five). But everything goes FUBAR and they end up allying with a half-naked Sea Reaper (blue-skinned red-eyed witch) and going on a full-scale war with other Reapers and a cannibal, wrestling-loving monster which is hundreds times bigger than them.

Sums it up perfectly.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#35 01/12/13 13:01

Dirk Gently
Website

ltemplar wrote:

Well..The "hand-holding syndrome" is nothing more than inability for creators to "hold" player longer in their product. I'm 2-th generation player with really small amount of free time, but I can understand the difference between "that somebody don't have time for this" and "to much simplification in game". And there is on excuse for me in situation where new game is "cut" from everything that can be to "frustrating" for "casual" player (read require thinking/ or skills). This is pretty nice excuse to: why AI can't be smart, why player can't do this, Why all games are so repetitive, why we get always the same armament , puzzles , etc, etc ,etc.
But there is also the other side of the coin.
At first that was a engine or that time hardware border. Now it is the "lazinesses" of the creators "For what purpose we will do this if this require thinking(read :player will stop and look at the things we don't want him to see). No lets do this simple. but mask it by fireworks..this will work , this alway work". This is huge psychology behind this...
So thats why every new Call of Duty is so popular even if this is the same shit served , all the time(see how many game industries employ psychologists nowadays then you will understand).

since when does some arbitrary marker give one this much entitlement to an opinion?

What you are referring to is your expectations of the game, therefore they are oversimplified to you. This doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else, or to the actual game for that matter.

#36 01/12/13 17:01

Valkyrur

Going to be honest, most hardcore COD haters I know are typical stuck-up losers who want the entire genre to be Quake/Doom clones that the industry was becoming in the 90s.

It's a fact: The big innovative games that sell well are going to get mass copied. Text adventures in the 70's. Point and click in the 80s. DOOM in the early 90s. Quake in the late 90's. Halo in the early 00's. COD in the late 00's. And, more recently coming, Minecraft clones in the early 10's.

COD's trend on the industry is NOTHING NEW. It's practically scientific law of business.

Don't like COD, fine, Quake and the FPSes you prefer will still exist, and always will. You don't need to see mass-sequels and clones of Quake/Bhop-FPS filling up the market again because then it's going to become just as bad as COD has become.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#37 01/12/13 17:01

Samer
Website

I personally don't like COD due to people's reaction to it, seeing teenagers\kids yelling (yeah shoot his head ! blow his head off !) .. but never played doom or quake either .. so in general i dislike 1st person violent shooter games .. the genre not a single game itself .. but that's just my imo.

but got to say .. if something works .. there's no reason to change it ...  and variety is nice .. not everyone wants to play a "thinking" game .. sometimes you want to load a game and just shoot stuff .. what someone might enjoy others may not .. and that's ok. I personally prefer action adventure with puzzles like tomb raider and Prince of Persia but that doesn't mean everyone has to. Tactics game for example bore me. that's why having variety is nice to entertain different tastes.

Last edited by Samer (01/12/13 18:01)

#38 01/12/13 23:01

Samer
Website

Some of you mentioned Elder Scrolls .. Read about it on the wiki a bit .. Seems like a game I'd enjoy (magic rpg)  .. But i see there are many games in the series .. For someone new to the series which one(s) is best to start with ?

#39 01/13/13 00:01

Valkyrur

Arena and Daggerfall are good if you're new to the TES series

Also, they're free downloads

Last edited by Valkyrur (01/13/13 00:01)

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#40 01/13/13 00:01

Lukas Kreator

Yes, it is quite "the ultimate adventure RPG ever done in the world". Unfortunately, I've only played Oblivion (TES: IV) and Skyrim (TES: V), but I totally recommend both.
All of the Elder Scrolls games are huge, with nearly unlimited potential (side-quests, etc.), so you can take your time. The freedom of the game will certainly interest you, too – pathways, and all.
I'm not sure what one of them recommend to you, but, well, Skyrim has Dragons tongue

EDIT: Listen to Certified, he probably knows better than I, honestly.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/13/13 00:01)

#41 01/13/13 10:01

AdamBast

Diablo 2
Unreal tournament (any)
Metal Slug (any)
Tetris
Fivestones / tic-tac-toe / amoeba
Death rally (the original)
Minesweeper
Vector td (the original)

and of course ONi

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#42 01/13/13 14:01

Delano762
Website

Certified wrote:

Going to be honest, most hardcore COD haters I know are typical stuck-up losers who want the entire genre to be Quake/Doom clones that the industry was becoming in the 90s.

It's a fact: The big innovative games that sell well are going to get mass copied. Text adventures in the 70's. Point and click in the 80s. DOOM in the early 90s. Quake in the late 90's. Halo in the early 00's. COD in the late 00's. And, more recently coming, Minecraft clones in the early 10's.

COD's trend on the industry is NOTHING NEW. It's practically scientific law of business.

Don't like COD, fine, Quake and the FPSes you prefer will still exist, and always will. You don't need to see mass-sequels and clones of Quake/Bhop-FPS filling up the market again because then it's going to become just as bad as COD has become.

Can't argue that.

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#43 01/13/13 18:01

Iritscen

I think that some of the resentment of COD just comes from the fact that the game is everywhere (BLOPSII was #1 in U.S. sales last year and MW3 was #8).  People automatically become resentful of it because it's so popular.

The other belief that some seem to have is that the money spent making more of the same game could have gone to something much more interesting.  I think we all get frustrated thinking about cool games like Oni that seem to be in completely neglected subgenres.  But that's just not how the market works; if there were no dudebro games to play, then dudebros wouldn't be spending money on games.  So the millions of dollars "wasted" on making those games only entered the industry because those games existed in the first place.  The budgets couldn't have reasonably gone to anything else unless some executives felt like throwing money away.

#44 01/14/13 01:01

Loser

All of time favourite games:
Name of the game (some of possible systems; developer, year)

Return of Double Dragon (SNES; Technos, 1992) - excellent combat system for a side scrolling SNES game, fun to play in coop on hardest difficulty.

Tomb Raider II: Starring Lara Croft (PSX/PC; CoreDesign, 1997) - I played the first one, I played The Last Revelation, I played Anniversary, I played Underworld. But this one remains in my heart as the right mixture with correct ratios between action, suspense, platforming and puzzles.

Tekken 3 (PSX; Namco, 1998) - in my opinion the pinnacle of the series. Fights rarely turn to lenghty 1/2 bar juggles because the game pushes juggled opponents prety quickly out of reach. That means duels are in my opinion more intense than in its younger successors, with less poking/juggling and more emphasis on high/mid/low play, spacing and throwing.

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PSX; Activision, 1998) - altough this game has MANY downsides for sure, the atmosphere is excellent and really give the satisfaction for each undetected kill. Too bad the series plumetted later.

Oni (MAC/PC; Bungie West, 2001) - up to this day unrivaled in blending close combat AND firearms. And I am not that much fan as I used to be, I see and evaluate Oni according to the same guidelines as other games, be it newer or older. But still, the gameplay (albeit sometimes a bit "chunky") is fabulous.

Oni 2 (???; Angel Studios, cancelled) - who knows, maybe it was going to be on par or even better than our beloved Oni. Well, sweet dreams ^_^

Gothic (PC; Piranha Bytes, 2001) - action RPG with maybe clunky close combat, but in exchange with a bucketload of entertaining ideas and with a world and story gritty yet funny at the same time. Too bad Gothic 3 was rushed and later the studio tried to "cheat" (in a sense) the fanbase with Risen 2, which kind of backfired on them (mainstream has its Skyrim, core fanbase refused to buy).

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (PC; Illusion Softworks, 2002) - the CZECH game from small-to-medium sized Czech studio which showed the gaming world that movie-like storytelling can work in action games (not only adventure titles), if they are incorporated with care and not in a way to interfere with gameplay. Too bad later the gaming industry forgot the end of the sentence, starting from: "with care and...". Anyway, awesome storyline about rise and fall of an ordinary U.S. citizen during the Great Depression.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC; Raven Software, 2003) - singleplayer was OK, but its multiplayer and mainly the multiplayer mod "Moviebattles II" is what keeps me hooked till this day. Highly recommended.

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (MAC/PC; The Collective, 2003) - the only game in my opinion which has (in a way) better close combat system than Oni. However, gunplay in IJET is tragic, so Oni is still undefeated on this field. Anyway, for guys like ltemplar I recommend to play this game on hard difficulty with the Dragon Pearl Mod.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS2/PC; Ubisoft Montreal, 2004) - great swordplay, intense duels, aggressive A.I., rich combat system, engaging enemies on HARD difficulty...what more to wish for? Maybe for the more fitting music, Ubisoft really did a mistake with metal riffs in a  fantasy persian themed game and it bit them back in reviews. Too bad, because lower sales of this title were probably a reason why Ubi abandoned sophisticated combat system and aggressive AI in their later sword-centered games (AC series for example).

That about to sums it up. Since 2004 I have not ecountered a game good enough. Generally speaking, gaming went the mainstream route, a lot of mechanics were simplified almost to the point when tha game playes itself for the player. However, there are for sure still projects worth noticing and spending money on, for example Batman series from Rocksteady.

Currently I am waiting for the yet to be titled project from the Warhorse Studios. It is going to be an open RPG, set in Hussite movement era (search Hussite on wiki if interested). Game design is led by the guy who was leading designer for Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. Since he is usually quite vocal and active (not now, as he is working on the game ^_^), I know he shares similar view with me on contemporary gaming industry. For me that means there could be finally a game which I am currently waiting for and which still fails to be created.

Last edited by Loser (01/19/13 02:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#45 01/14/13 01:01

Samer
Website

@Loser I agree prince of persian warrior within had the best combat in the series .. Two thrones had it as well but it was watered down a bit or the enemies were easier to defeat. It's a shame they abandoned it in later titles such as Prince of Persia the Forgotten sands.

I should try Indiana Jones sounds interesting .. And maybe jedi academy though i'm not a star wars fan (never watched it, i might become a fan if i do)

tekken 3 .. I hear tekken a lot .. What is it about ? And what does juggled opponents mean tongue

oni 2 .. angel studios ? What yikes ?

#46 01/14/13 09:01

Iritscen

Loser is fantasizing about a world where Oni 2 actually came out.  You may not have seen this thread: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=242

#47 01/14/13 11:01

Samer
Website

No I never saw that .. 
knowing that it was planned and cancelled is even more infuriating  than not planning a sequel at all hmm

#48 01/14/13 15:01

ltemplar

What Oni2?
I believe he is not referring to that fake post on the Kotaku...?

1)"Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"- that game is something(especially multi player)....I even remember I was in some sort of "Clan" back then.

2)"Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb"- Hmm.. interesting...I will definitely try out this title(with mentioned mod).

To Certified:
I'm neither a fan or hater of the COD. I simply gave this game as the example.

To Samer
"not everyone wants to play a "thinking" game .. sometimes you want to load a game and just shoot stuff .."- And how many titles we have of the first example , and how many we have of the another?
Even the grate game like syndicate (Bullfrog 1993) was reduced to level of the simplified shooter.
What I'm referring to is not the genre of the game (thous who like shooters will like shooters and i will not force them to play "chess..") but to the fact that overall simplification is added to the most of the games, even to thous that should stay complicated.

To Irytscen
"if there were no dudebro games to play, then dudebros wouldn't be spending money on games."- Most of us start as "dudebros" - So that's not it. The same thing happening with movies, tv shows etc.
Maybe it's crazy idea , but :
If we risk the statement, that : "There is no simple games, and that no body know about how to make them" - then do you really think that games will be less popular?I think not. So then we have another question "Why..thous games are so simple, even then when they don't need to be"?

So i will gave another example of the overall simplification(if COD is bad)

Assassin Creed - most popular nowadays "sneaker":
If this game is about assassination, hiding in shadows, etc..then tell me how the player can survive so long fighting with numerous guard? Such thing like fight should be the last resort and more logical will be to run than to brawl with Guards. Try to fight with more Enemies in Thief series..Ba even with one guard , then you will know how hard this is. Most games have "I want to be superhero" syndrome, forgetting that theirs character are different(the are not batman or superman in disguise), so "fighting" is less in "theirs" nature/profession.
For me the "immersion" is more important than "fill awesome" in game by all time.

The last thing is graphics.
It's not the mater of the graphics itself(realistic or not) but the mater of the style. Even the simplified polygons can work for your graphics if they create immersion that this is exactly what creator have on his mind..and not thing added by force(this look like that because we can't make it better).

Last edited by ltemplar (01/14/13 17:01)

#49 01/14/13 16:01

Iritscen

If we risk the statement, that : "There is no simple games, and that no body know about how to make them" - then do you really think that games will be less popular?

I really do, yes.  I've seen a lot of people become gamers who never would have in the old days, all because a game was available that was easy for them to pick up and play.  The market realized this and began simplifying its games to draw in more people.  In specific cases, it may not actually help a game's sales at all, but in general, I think it has helped games become "mainstream".  Look at the Wii, for goodness' sake.

#50 01/14/13 16:01

Lithium

Or the brainless 12 year olds playing CoD.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer