Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/28/12 14:12

frostrunnermobile

Oni on Android?

I dont know if im the only one giving this idea a thought or if anyone else would want this but i was playing GTA vice city on my phone today and the random awesomeness of Oni popped up in my head and i thought it would be amazing if Oni AE was ported.

As an added bonus, if this were to happen and done well i think it would bring a new spark to Oni and maybe get more development, bungii might come to their senses, or a miracle might happen and Oni 2 might not just be a dream.

I understand there would be licensing issues, but im not saying it has to be a pay app smile

just a wandering thought... what you guys think?

#2 12/28/12 16:12

s10k
Website

Re: Oni on Android?

Oni run on linux via wine. I know that android is linux, but I'm not sure if it can run wine and if it supports Oni. Also android usually runs in ARM processors which are very different from the x86 ones from pcs.

A fully port should work (since VC can work) but I don't think take 2 will do that step.

#3 12/28/12 17:12

Iritscen

From a little Googling, it seems that Wine can be run on Android with some hacking, but it runs very slowly, so I am not sure that running a 3D game that way is practical.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 12/28/12 19:12

Lukas Kreator

Besides, what about the controls?

#5 12/29/12 04:12

frostrunnermobile

in terms of controls, most of the newer android phones are able to pair the PS3 controllers to the phone using sixaxis app =P so controlls are totally handled if such a port were made possile

#6 12/29/12 08:12

Iritscen

Ah, so controls wouldn't be an issue.  Well, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the only way a "port" would be possible is if we ran Oni through Wine.  Bungie doesn't own the game anymore, Take Two does, and after all these years I don't think they'd be interested in spending money on a proper port from source code for the phone.  If you want to try Googling "android wine" and following the instructions for getting it to work, you can, but the game's performance is probably going to be pretty poor.

#7 12/29/12 08:12

TOCS

I couldn't imagine Oni would be a pleasant experience with touch controls, let alone with a controller. It's just one of those type of games that needs a mouse and keyboard setup. smile

#8 12/29/12 14:12

frostrunnermobile

@iritscen well i could look into that, but even a proof of concept would be awesome

@TOCS well ive played oni on PC and PS2 and i gotta tell ya ONI on a ps3 controller works just fine. Trust me it plays candy with a controller

#9 12/29/12 15:12

Iritscen

It would definitely be interesting to see, I'll give you that smile

#10 01/06/13 16:01

Dirk Gently
Website

You would have to recode the entire thing for java. iOS is a possibility has Objective-C is a strict subset of C, so Oni's C code would be able to run natively if it was able to target that architecture (arm). Whereas running on android would be entirely different, you would need to to rewrite it in java instead of C. Due to differences in language structure, and design you are talking a ground up rewrite.

#11 01/06/13 17:01

s10k
Website

You can program in C/C++ to android as well.

Last edited by s10k (01/06/13 17:01)

#12 01/08/13 02:01

frostrunnermobile

What i would also like to know though is if you guys think this is a good idea, do you think if Oni were to be ported to Apple/Android/Windows Mobile do ya think that it might make people more interested/remember how great this game really was?

#13 01/08/13 08:01

Valkyrur

HD ports to current consoles would do more justice.

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#14 01/08/13 09:01

Iritscen

I dunno, I can only see myself enjoying Oni on a PC, personally.  I need that mouse and keyboard.

#15 01/14/13 03:01

Lithium

Same, especially with how precise some of the platforming can be.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Board footer