Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/16/12 12:12

Alloc
Website

AE Installer 2

Hi there,

as I'm going to take on the development of the AEI2 I've startet creating a To-Do/features list on the wiki:
http://wiki.oni2.net/Anniversary_Editio … 0Installer

I tried to gather all wishes for the AEI from this and the AE thread and put them there. Comment here if you feel like anything is missing or wrong smile

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#2 12/16/12 12:12

Iritscen

Re: AE Installer 2

Thankfully Alloc is in a position to handle the AEI, so I can focus on just the general AE requests that have been made.  I will be updating the AE's main to-do table on the above-linked page later today.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 12/19/12 17:12

s10k
Website

Alloc wrote:

Hi there,

as I'm going to take on the development of the AEI2 I've startet creating a To-Do/features list on the wiki:
http://wiki.oni2.net/Anniversary_Editio … 0Installer

I tried to gather all wishes for the AEI from this and the AE thread and put them there. Comment here if you feel like anything is missing or wrong smile

Regards,
Chris

That's awesome. smile

Are you including the option to update packages automatically from the depot?

So if a new version of a mod is found, the user is alerted and may install it or not.

#4 12/19/12 17:12

Alloc
Website

Yep, that's one of the goals wink

#5 01/15/13 05:01

s10k
Website

Tried the new AEI and I must to say that it's looking really good. Can you also add the version number to the packages details? I'll report more suggestions once I test it more.

#6 01/15/13 05:01

Samer
Website

can i test the new AEI too ?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#7 01/15/13 07:01

s10k
Website

I believe so, at least is public check:
[removed due to Alloc post here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 49#p44549]

Last edited by s10k (01/15/13 12:01)

#8 01/15/13 10:01

Alloc
Website

Script_10k wrote:

Can you also add the version number to the packages details?

In addition to the table one?

Script_10k wrote:

I'll report more suggestions once I test it more.

Thanks smile

#9 01/15/13 11:01

s10k
Website

In the left side (details of each package):
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7044/capturarkrf.png

#10 01/15/13 12:01

Samer
Website

I don't understand tongue is there a link to AEI in the wiki page ? Cz it didn't open for me.
@Alloc .. May i test the AE intaller too before release ? If yes can you provide me a direct link to it either here or to my email ?

Last edited by Samer (01/15/13 12:01)

#11 01/15/13 12:01

Alloc
Website

Done.

Please don't share the link though (even though everyone could find the correct links to the files I'd like not to have everyone already use the pre-release AEI2 and then forget to update wink ).

Comments always welcome wink

#12 01/15/13 12:01

Samer
Website

Thanks Chris smile

#13 01/17/13 15:01

Samer
Website

@Alloc regarding new AEI
i don't know if i did this correctly, I put the jar u sent me in my edition folder same location with the original AE installer and Onisplit.
Ran tha jar .. It said updating taxonomy vocabulary then terms (what does that mean exactly ? Is it updating mods or itslef or just loading), then it said updating nods, then it said updating files (also what does that mean ?) this updating thing took 20  minutes and the cancel button was greyed out .. Is this normal ? Can i skip this in the future.
After it did that the AE installer opened but it didn't detect any of the packages ... Is it supposed to load them from the depot ? Or from the ''packages'' folder ?
I hope it won't be relying too heavily on online connection.
I think it should display the current packages I have (from the packages folder) with or without internet and then have an additional option or button to display other mods from the depot. (optional)

#14 01/17/13 16:01

Alloc
Website

Hi Samer,

the location is correct if you don't get a message at startup saying it is not wink
The first (long) update is where it synchronizes with the Depot. Takes about 1 minute here for the first launch. On later launches it should cache the data and only query new stuff which takes ~1sec here. If you didn't see any mods listed afterwards it didn't work though. Could you send me aei_output/error.log please?
And yes, it should also list the local mods and if you don't have an internet connection when starting it should also work and show what you downloaded previously (or just the old mods).

So always if you think something doesn't work as it should please send me aei_error.log/aei_output.log with a short description of what did not work/what happened. Also not that those files get overwritten when you restart AEI.

Regards,
Chris

PS: Current version is 0.86
PPS: You can get me directly on IRC most of the central european day/evening wink

Last edited by Alloc (01/17/13 16:01)

#15 01/17/13 17:01

Samer
Website

Thanks for the reply Chris smile
I tried something different .. i put the jar in a new folder called AEInstaller (that's what u told me to do in ur email but at first i put it in same folder with the old aeinstaller and onisplit which is ../edition/install)
Ran the jar also took about 20+ min (my internet is slow) it synced with the depot i guess, the mods listed on the depot showed up ... But for some reason not all of them, example Casey and Hayate didn't show up under characters, though they're listed as such on the depot.
Some suggestions :
*In the mod type drop down list ... I think there should be an ''All'' selection to display all mods of all types at once.
*is it possible to have a creator column like the depot that you can click to arrange the mods by creator. (like you have now for number and name)
*i don't know if this could be implemented .. When it scanned my local packages they showed up separetly under ''local'' type of mod (I tried it with Casey) when we used to release packages before we didn't have an option to specify the type in the mod.cgf .. Does this mean all old downloaded packages will have to be re-downloaded so they get classified correctly ?
Can the AEI compare the local package with the depot one and classify it automatically and keep that classification if it goes offline.
Example having Casey in my packages folder, the AEinstaller will then compare it to Casey on depot and then list it under Characters insead of under local. Then there could be a small box next to the mod's name in the list that says 'downloaded' in the AEI, so if it finds that the package is found locally it will put a checkmark under the downloaded .. And maybe an exclamation mark or something if it's found but a newer version is on the depot and an x if it's not found locally.
So when you look under character .. You'll see all available characters, depot ones and local ones with the local ones having a checkmark or some icon near them.
And you could also select a filter to only display local mods or .. local and online.
(local + character) or (both local and online + character) together instead of local being a mod type and being a mutually exclusive selection with other mod types. (add 2 boxes somewhere that say local and depot that you can check uncheck which will apply to the view of all mod types)
*can i change the download location ? For example to put my downloads in D: instead of the default C:\user\etc
* can we save the list. Example a user selects 12 mods of various mod types. He then has a problem and needs to troubleshoot and install only 1 or 2 mods, after that he wants to recheck those 12 mods, Can we save the list of the 12 mods he previously had so they can be reloaded (automatically checked) later. Or another scenario : when i'm modding and need to continously test the mod i'm working on, i install this mod only cz it makes compiling level dat files faster than having several mods, but when i'm playing i have about 20 favorite mods installed together, would be nice to be able to reload that list instead of having to recheck those 20 mods every now and then.
(ability to save a list of checked mods and reload that list)

p.s : great work so far Chris .. i really like that we can change gui theme btw tongue
i can't go on irc cz of more than usual power cuts hmm

Last edited by Samer (01/17/13 17:01)

#16 01/17/13 17:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

i put the jar in a new folder called AEInstaller (that's what u told me to do in ur email but at first i put it in same folder with the old aeinstaller and onisplit which is ../edition/install)

The exact folder shouldn't matter. Only important thing is to have in a folder within the Edition-folder which has to be within a vanilla Oni. But of course a clean directory only for AEI is always a good idea wink

Samer wrote:

Ran the jar also took about 20+ min (my internet is slow)

Ok, that's really slow ... what download rates do you normally get when downloading files?
How long does another run after the first one take?
(Will also look into ways to improve those times on my side)

Samer wrote:

But for some reason not all of them, example Casey and Hayate didn't show up under characters, though they're listed as such on the depot.

It doesn't show some of them because they're not yet 100% compatible. We'll get onto that later before the public release wink

Samer wrote:

*In the mod type drop down list ... I think there should be an ''All'' selection to display all mods of all types at once.

Had that in the beginning, will re-add it wink

Samer wrote:

*is it possible to have a creator column like the depot that you can click to arrange the mods by creator. (like you have now for number and name)

Sure, will add it (and see how it fits as it increases the needed size for the left pane wink )

Samer wrote:

*i don't know if this could be implemented .. When it scanned my local packages they showed up separetly under ''local'' type of mod (I tried it with Casey) when we used to release packages before we didn't have an option to specify the type in the mod.cgf .. Does this mean all old downloaded packages will have to be re-downloaded so they get classified correctly ?

Nope, classification is always done on basis of the information found on the Depot. So if you have a mod manually put in the packages dir it will use all information found on the Depot, *if* it finds a package there with the same number and the node on the Depot is compatible for AEI2 (see above wink ).

Samer wrote:

Can the AEI compare the local package with the depot one and classify it automatically and keep that classification if it goes offline.

AEI does always cache the info it downloaded from the Depot, that's also why a second run should be a lot faster on startup.

Also AEI checks itself if a mod has an update on the Depot and shows an information window with update option if it found anything.

Samer wrote:

And you could also select a filter to only display local mods or .. local and online.

Thinking about that one wink

Samer wrote:

*can i change the download location ? For example to put my downloads in D: instead of the default C:\user\etc

You're talking about the temporary download folder (temp/oni_aei/downloads)? Why does that matter? Files get deleted in there after unpacking anyway? (At least they should be, if that doesn't work I need the logs wink )

Samer wrote:

* can we save the list.

Should be already in the version you have. If not it's at least available in the newer ones wink (It's been in there for about 5 days, at least since 0.71)

Samer wrote:

p.s : great work so far Chris .. i really like that we can change gui theme btw tongue

Thanks. But why does everybody complain on the default look and feel? big_smile
What did you choose instead?

Regards,
Chris

PS: "save the list" forgot to mention, it's currently called load/save config, will change that later wink

Last edited by Alloc (01/17/13 19:01)

#17 01/18/13 02:01

Samer
Website

Ok, that's really slow ... what download rates do you normally get when downloading files?
How long does another run after the first one take?

mm never mind tongue my internet is an exception, one of the slowest countries worldwide .. i get 5-20 KB/sec download, if I'm lucky it sometimes shoots to 50 KB\sec
the second run takes about a minute to start.

It doesn't show some of them because they're not yet 100% compatible. We'll get onto that later before the public release

is it because some of them (Casey, Hayate, Jester, Hasegawas, SamMegaPack) have more than 1 file on their mod page ?

You're talking about the temporary download folder (temp/oni_aei/downloads)? Why does that matter? Files get deleted in there after unpacking anyway?

you're right, it doesn't tongue

AEI does always cache the info it downloaded from the Depot, that's also why a second run should be a lot faster on startup.Also AEI checks itself if a mod has an update on the Depot and shows an information window with update option if it found anything

ouh ok I tried it for casey which is not compatible so i thought it wasn't there, it does work for other compatible mods smile
the only thing I'm missing is a way to filter\show only locally available mods or for them to be shown in a different color or bold or something.

Should be already in the version you have. If not it's at least available in the newer ones  (It's been in there for about 5 days, at least since 0.71)

sorry i didn't realize it was the save-load configuration, works great smile

Thanks. But why does everybody complain on the default look and feel? What did you choose instead?

I'm a traditional guy tongue I chose windows. more graphical customization is always welcome.

ok some other things I noticed :
*when it downloads a mod form the depot it saves the folder in the package folder without a name only a number.
example it saves 23900 instead of 23900CharacterAdditives, for us modders it's kinda necessary to see the names when we explore the package folders.

*also I hope you can add a feature to right click the package in the list and have it open that package's folder, would be very useful.

*If I arrange the list by package number, next time I exit and open the AE installer it reverts back to Name order .. can you make it remember the user's preferred order ?

*If more than 1 updated package is available and AEI checks for updates will you be able to choose which ones you want to update and which you don't ? ( I wasn't able to test that)

*I don't know if this is an AEI issue or not but when I run Oni from there as fullscreen the Windows 7 taskbar shows on top of it (normally it would become fullscreen and cover it) does AEI download another bink32 and oni.exe ?

@Iritscen you're most welcome, if I can help with anything else tell me smile

Last edited by Samer (01/18/13 04:01)

#18 01/18/13 05:01

Alloc
Website

Samer wrote:

mm never mind tongue my internet is an exception, one of the slowest countries worldwide .. i get 5-20 KB/sec download, if I'm lucky it sometimes shoots to 50 KB\sec
the second run takes about a minute to start.

Still quite long, especially if you consider that the traffic generated is like 10 KiB? wink
I'll see if I can change anything there anyway. It will imrprove speed for anyone, so it doesn't hurt investigating.

Samer wrote:

is it because some of them (Casey, Hayate, Jester, Hasegawas, SamMegaPack) have more than 1 file on their mod page ?

Yup wink
Some can be merged (Win+Mac in one package as the new format supports that), some have older revisions besides the current one, some are just multiple different packages in one node. Still I suppose waiting with the necessary changes til I'm a bit closer to the release, wanted to contact the submitters of such mods anyway with an exact list of what to do.

Samer wrote:

I'm a traditional guy tongue I chose windows. more graphical customization is always welcome.

I think as you were not the first one I'll just change it to windows as default on windows wink

Samer wrote:

*when it downloads a mod form the depot it saves the folder in the package folder without a name only a number.

Is it really important, especially considering the next point? (Problem is that I have to generate a valid file name out of the package name which can contain any character. Of course that can be done but requires some code big_smile Will look into it anyway)

Samer wrote:

*also I hope you can add a feature to right click the package in the list and have it open that package's folder, would be very useful.

Already in there since ~0.75 wink

Samer wrote:

*If I arrange the list by package number, next time I exit and open the AE installer it reverts back to Name order .. can you make it remember the user's preferred order ?

Will think about it.

Samer wrote:

*If more than 1 updated package is available and AEI checks for updates will you be able to choose which ones you want to update and which you don't ? ( I wasn't able to test that)

Currently not.

Samer wrote:

*I don't know if this is an AEI issue or not but when I run Oni from there as fullscreen the Windows 7 taskbar shows on top of it (normally it would become fullscreen and cover it) does AEI download another bink32 and oni.exe ?

AEI shouldn't be in charge here, but it could be the Daodan as the one used now is the latest one of Gumby from mid 2011. Didn't test it on Win7 yet.

-Chris

#19 01/18/13 07:01

Iritscen

Alloc wrote:
Samer wrote:

Is it really important, especially considering the next point? (Problem is that I have to generate a valid file name out of the package name which can contain any character. Of course that can be done but requires some code big_smile Will look into it anyway)

I hadn't mentioned this yet, also because I didn't realize it was intended to work that way upon release, but it does seem important to me that we have the package name on the folder.  If it helps, there must be a way for me to constrain the characters one can use on the Depot to title a package to just, say, [0-9][a-z][A-Z].

I'll leave Alloc to initially investigate why the Daodan DLL is not disappearing the taskbar, but it might help to know the date on the DLL that you have, Samer, at least if it's been preserved since you downloaded the file.  That way we can check that date against the Daodan source code to see if there was a regression in a commit made after that time.

#20 01/18/13 08:01

Iritscen

At the risk of further screwing things up, I'm bumping this thread to the top so you guys realize that this is the thread to post in, not "AE Installer 2 2".  There was a problem when I attempted to split all the AEI posts out of the "Next AE" thread and then merge them, so the other thread appears to be dead even though the forum is claiming it has most of the AEI posts in it.  I guess, um, just continue the conversation here like nothing happened? ^_^;  I've alerted Harry to the problem.

#21 01/18/13 08:01

Alloc
Website

Iritscen wrote:

I hadn't mentioned this yet, also because I didn't realize it was intended to work that way upon release, but it does seem important to me that we have the package name on the folder.  If it helps, there must be a way for me to constrain the characters one can use on the Depot to title a package to just, say, [0-9][a-z][A-Z].

As long as you guys are fine that the folder name doesn't look to nice I'll add that to the AEI itself so the names won't be limited. I would simply limit the character set for the folder names to e.g. "[0-9a-zA-Z\-_.]" and everything else would get converted to "_". E.g. package "Muro's Lair - (Mission) 1" (added the brackets for example purposes) would get a folder "80230Muro_s_Lair_-__Mission__1". If that's ok with everyone ... smile

Iritscen wrote:

I'll leave Alloc to initially investigate why the Daodan DLL is not disappearing the taskbar, but it might help to know the date on the DLL that you have, Samer, at least if it's been preserved since you downloaded the file.  That way we can check that date against the Daodan source code to see if there was a regression in a commit made after that time.

To bad, already pointed you at this error on YIM wink
The date is just the one from the Daodan on the Depot, as the AEI downloaded it for him anyway. So we just have to find out for what reason Gumby's latest DLL does that. I assume that this can be fixed by setting an option in the daodan.ini though. Investigating later on the weekend.

Regards,
Chris

#22 01/18/13 08:01

Iritscen

Alloc wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

As long as you guys are fine that the folder name doesn't look to nice I'll add that to the AEI itself so the names won't be limited. I would simply limit the character set for the folder names to e.g. "[0-9a-zA-Z\-_.]" and everything else would get converted to "_". E.g. package "Muro's Lair - (Mission) 1" (added the brackets for example purposes) would get a folder "80230Muro_s_Lair_-__Mission__1". If that's ok with everyone ... smile

Oops, I'm sorry for misleading you, but look at the Mod_Info.cfg again, Alloc.  The name of the folder comes from the ModString, which is the modder's responsibility to create with no spaces or other weird stuff.

#23 01/18/13 09:01

Alloc
Website

Iritscen wrote:

Oops, I'm sorry for misleading you, but look at the Mod_Info.cfg again, Alloc.  The name of the folder comes from the ModString, which is the modder's responsibility to create with no spaces or other weird stuff.

Heh, nope tongue
Have a look at the Wiki-Page, ModString was probably only used by a few mods as it is not even documented to use it wink
Also using that would make it highly depending on the package-creator to take care of what he puts in there. Most (or all?) of the other fields on both the mod_info.cfg and the Depot aren't that crucial.

#24 01/18/13 10:01

Iritscen

Oh, well I've apparently forgotten everything I knew :-|  ModString was deprecated in 1.1, according to what I wrote on the wiki.  We must have decided it was redundant and unused, so as of the 1.1 package format, the ModString value "ModName 1.5" would have been properly written as ModVersion "1.5".  Okay, I guess we're back to square one, then.  But I have to say, folders named "80230Muro_s_Lair_-__Mission__1" are just too ugly to deserve to live ^_^

#25 01/18/13 10:01

Samer
Website

Mmm about the mod string thing .. I always use name with no ''weird'' characters like Iritscen said and I beleive other modders do too, they kinda have to cz AE installer won't show the mods in list if the folder's name has weird characters .... even demos's gui which new modders use to create mod packages asks you to have a mod string or folder name and rejects it if it has weird characters
The mods on the depot which use ''weird'' names are i believe very few ... I can manually go and rename them for you on the depot if that solves it .. Muro_Liar_Mission1 .. is acceptable for example.
Also what i don't get is when it downloads a mod. The mod on the depot is a zip and inside it is a folder that's already named according to the rules and has no weird characters .. Why not simply preserve this name .. (don't look it up on the depot when it creates the folder .. Instead look up the name of the folder inside the zip / downloaded mod)

meaning true maybe muro's liar title on the depot has weird characters but the folder inside the zip doesn't  (old AE installer won't show it up in the list if has weird characters ) so can't the names be generated\preserved from there ?

I personally can live with the - _ instead of having no names at all. From a player's prespective they won't need to explore the folders much but from modders prespective we do, scenario : usually when i'm making a new package or combo pack for example sammegapack or when I recently uploaded the various fixes  i copy paste files from several folder packages .. So when i'm on windows 7 opening folders and moving files it seems a bit of a hassle to have AEinstaller open too and open each folder from there instead of windows explorer. (except if I memorize the package numbers tongue)
(can you tell me how AEI works when it downloads a mod from the depot ? Does it download the zip into temp and then extract the folder from it to packages, if so can't it preserve the name of the folder inside it.. Or is the zip extracting done somewhere online somehow)
P.s about the daodon yes i presume the AEI replaced the one i had which usually hid the taskbar .. However i think i made a backup of my bink32 that worked before .. I'll check and uppload it in a few hours

p.s : i'm having a hard time expressing what i mean, also because i'm not sure how the folder name is generated with the new AEI, I realize there's a lot of repetition in my post :$

Last edited by Samer (01/18/13 13:01)

Board footer