Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/12/12 00:12

AaronPDX

AE on Mac -- how to know if it's working or not?

I assume it's not, because I installed (among others) the HQ airport textures, and then played that level's saved game #3 and everything looks the same; no big red plane for example. No errors on install, AE folder is located inside the main GameDataFolder, and I'm launching the Oni app from within the AE folder. I am wondering if my main Oni directory structure differs from the norm, though. Any help appreciated!

#2 12/12/12 03:12

Samer
Website

Re: AE on Mac -- how to know if it's working or not?

AE folder is located inside the main GameDataFolder,

that doesn't sound right to me ..
the edition folder should be along side the main Gamedatafolder not inside it.  so you'll have a folder called Oni in it you have 2 folders : 1-GameDataFolder and 2-Edition  (the edition isn't inside the gamedatafolder)  then in the edition folder there's another GameDataFolder and install folder and others.

when you open the game does it say Anniversary Edition in the main menu ? also you may want to install something like a new character and shapeshift to see if it installed. HQ airpport textures is most apparent in save pt 1.
all current available mods are here : http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1355

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#3 12/12/12 21:12

AaronPDX

Thanks for the info, Samer.
I just reinstalled AE and here's what happened:
1. 'Please locate your Oni installation.' OK, I point it to the Oni folder as installed.
2. 'This doesn't seem to be your Oni installation; I don't see an application here named 'Oni'. Click 'Try again'....'
So this time I choose the GameDataFolder, which is where the actual Oni app resides. It likes this and begins installing. (This explains why it stuck it in there.)
3. I click OK to launch the actual installer, and then choose Globalize...
4. I install Blood, Weather, and upgraded ONCCs.
5. 'Done!'
6. I move Edition out into the root Oni folder, then launch Oni. [Oops, I launched main app, not the one in Edition, but read on in case you have ideas...]
7. Launches and crashes itself, OS asks whether to ignore or Reopen. I reopen. Now app menu bar is there but no action, no visuals, nothing.
8. I quit and relaunch and it opens but no 'AE' in main menu. And image is stretched wide. I quit it.
9. I launch Oni app from the Edition folder. 'Alert: You need to select the installation directory for Oni.' I select main Oni folder, and get same results as in step 8. Relaunching yields same result each time.

Do you think my original Oni install is a bit off and that's causing the problems? I had some resolution and crash issues before installing AE, and the install was not from the original purchased CD...

#4 12/12/12 22:12

EdT
Website

Which Mac operating system are you using?

As mentioned your directory should look like this:

Oni folder
  GameDataFolder (Original)
  Edition Folder
     Oni application
     GameDataFolder
       level0_Final Folder
       level0_Final.dat
       level0_Final.raw
       level0_Final.sep
       level1_Final
       level1_Final.dat
       level1_Final.raw
       level1_Final.sep
         and so on with the rest of the levels.

#5 12/13/12 00:12

AaronPDX

I'm on Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.

My structure is quite different.
Root Oni folder contains:
Oni.app
persist.dat
Edition
GameDataFolder
debugger.txt
key_config.txt
startup.txt
Oni ReadMe

(I can't figure out why it keeps recreating those .txt and .dat files, as the same are also in the GameDataFolder.)

Then Edition folder contains:
AETools.app
GameDataFolder
install
key_config.txt
Oni.app
persist.dat
replace_installer.sh
updates

And in its GameDataFolder we have:
Add.cfg
Archive
BSLBackup
IGMD
level0_Final.dat
level0_Final.raw
level0_Final.sep

Odd, no?

Thanks,
Aaron

#6 12/13/12 08:12

Iritscen

Hi AaronPDX.  We originally described the Oni folder hierarchy here on the wiki: http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_(folder)

As you can see, the Oni app should be in the Oni folder, not in the GDF.  But one of your posts says it is in GDF, and the other says it's in the root Oni folder.  If it's in the root Oni folder, then "Install the AE" should work when you select the Oni folder -- as long as the Oni app still has its original name, Oni.app.  Perhaps you could provide a screenshot of the Open dialog when you are about to tell it which folder you've chosen?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 12/13/12 14:12

AaronPDX

Hi Moderator,
Thanks for responding.
I should have clarified: the Oni app in the root folder was just an alias I created; it points to the GameDataFolder. (Sorry, I just pasted the file names here.)

So maybe I should remove AE, and move Oni app to root (replacing the alias), delete the duplicate files in GDF (such as persist.dat) as no doubt they are created where the app resides... And then reinstall AE? What do you think? I'm just confused as to why the app was put in the wrong spot in the first place during the original install (which came from Macintosh Garden:
macintoshgarden.org/games/oni   ).

Last edited by AaronPDX (12/13/12 14:12)

#8 12/13/12 19:12

AaronPDX

I just tried moving the app to its proper spot and reinstalling AE. It installed perfectly smoothly this time. Globalization took a good deal longer, with the result being all the levels now in the AE folder. I then had to select retail installation again. Then installed some packages.

First launch yielded a black screen with the opening music in the background; I had to force restart. 2nd launch yields all saved games gone and the same opening screen (no mention of AE) and same gameplay.

Do you think I should frog blast the vet core?

Last edited by AaronPDX (12/13/12 19:12)

#9 12/13/12 21:12

EdT
Website

You mentioned you selected the retail installation, actually, you should have selected the edition version.

Anyways, since you are on an Intel Mac, use the Intel beta version of Oni: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 710#p31710

Put the Oni app in the Edition folder and play using it.  You won't have select a location for it.

#10 12/14/12 01:12

AaronPDX

Wahoo! Thanks EdT, that was the missing piece. Odd, because I had downloaded that before. In fact my main Oni folder had that Feral version in it, while the Edition folder had the older 2003 one from Bungie. Well, it seems to be resolved now. Now to play with some modding!

Cheers, all.

Board footer