Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/01/07 08:02

stripeytiger

Human society after the events in Oni

Considering what happened at the end of Oni, there's obviously a lot of questions revolving around what the new human society will be like.  Here's a few of the questions:

1.  What will the new world be like?

2.  How will newly born humans actually get the Daodan Chyrsalis?

3.  How will the survivors get the Daodan Chyrsalis?

4.  Will SLDs or robots of that caliber be able to exist in the new human society?

I could probably go on and on listing questions like this, but I would like to leave it to you guys to come up with other questions like these.  I have my ideas on how to answer these questions, but I'd like to hear your ideas first.  So...what do you think, guys?

#2 02/01/07 11:02

geyser
Website

Re: Human society after the events in Oni

I remember musing on the aftermath HERE.

That particular post didn't overemphasize the social impact of the Chrysalis as such. I did that elsewhere (adding links when I have some time).
The basic point is that the Daodan can't be put to general use after what happened to the prototypes.
It emphasizes extremes. It distills "good" and "evil". "Daodan to the people" is virtual Armaggeddon. Mai VS Muro times a billion.
And even if you assume there's over 50% "good" people, or that the "good" somehow "always win": was Mai that much of a success?
Taken individually, she managed pretty well, maybe, but socially she's a monster. A society of Daodan symbiotes is an anarchy. Has to be.
Selectively implanting Chrysalises to "good" people is eugenism. Virtually impossible to carry out. Or to define (again, how "good" is Mai ?)

SLDs and androids: why not? I'd even say "certainly". Non-human working force would come in handy for the reconstruction.

Last edited by geyser (02/01/07 13:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 02/02/07 11:02

stripeytiger

Well, geyser, you do make some valid points there.  I mean, there's Mai, who I would best describe as an anti-hero (In the sense that she was not particularly effective, and in the sense that she had questionable morals).  In fact, I would call her Wolverine.

The DC does seem to make people either good or bad.  Although that just brings up a huge question: if you were in the middle of good and bad, what would the DC do to you?

I am curious about one thing (Several things actually, but this is one of the starters): how will all those people live in a planet with a poisonous atmosphere?  According to you, the Daodan Chyrsalis being given to the people is way out.  Also, Mai does say at the end that she blew the processors.  I can imagine that all those people would have a hard time finding a place to breathe without dying.

Last edited by stripeytiger (02/02/07 18:02)

#4 02/02/07 13:02

geyser
Website

Hm, you have interesting "questions" and even more interesting "ideas on how to answer them".
But may I ask why you separated this discussion from the other one you started? Is not all one?
(really, I wouldn't create a new thread for every second "question" I come up with...)

The analogy with Wolverine is appealing (I don't know much about him). I'm also thrilled with "Mai=anti-hero".
In Cyrillic, "WOLVERINE" is "POCOMAXA". A fascinating animal. A weasel that's as large as a dog and as strong as a bear.
Wolverine is a hero of DC Comics, BTW. Calling the Chrysalis "DC" might be a bit confusing, then smile

if you were in the middle of good and bad, what would the DC do to you?

You have to be able to tell good from evil, first. Can you?
I already said it up there (again, how "good" is Mai?).
Innocence does not exist. And violence does not equal evil.
There is nothing but somewhere "in the middle of good and bad".
At any given moment you're somewhere in there. And you move all the time.
Personally, I just can't talk of "human nature" with big words like "good" and "evil".

I can imagine that all those people would have a hard time finding a place to breathe without dying.

First, Mai (supposedly) spared a few ACCs (and thus cities) by starting the transmission before all the satellites were aligned. Those cities would be healthy, but possibly crowded. Social nightmare.
As for the areas that are no longer decontaminated, look at Fallout or Twelve Monkeys or something. A few bunkers is all it takes. People find a way when they wanna live.
That's in the medium-to-long-term, though. In the short term, it's yet another social nightmare.
The difference is that in the "desert" it would be "survival of the fittest" or jungle law, as opposed to the "oasises", where some form of government could remain (survival of the richest/most influent, or corporate law).
As a complement to THIS, unless someone networks and coordinates the "oasises" and the "desert" at global scale, and does it soon, the governement of the "oasises" will have no reason to stay globalized/centralized.
Transport of people and goods becomes problematic, promoting autonomy at national/city scale.
It's not the stone age (although that depends on how much Mai's action has paralyzed the industry) like it very nearly is in the "desert".
More like new-age feudalism. Several fan fiction writers have ended up with such a picture.

An alternative is to assume that somehow Oni's world doesn't break apart.
That someone is able to actually handle that sort of crisis, and to limit/prevent separatism of the "oasises", if not anarchy in the "desert".

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 02/02/07 14:02

dez_zt

1.  What will the new world be like?

Unhabitable, with poisones air outdoors. Two groups of people. One living in hightech buildings (wich are sealed and have their own oxygen), and not giving a sh about others, and one that has broken into old abandoned underground bunkers, wich only hold a limited amount of lifesupports, and are way to old. So somthing has to be done...

2.  How will newly born humans actually get the Daodan Chyrsalis?

Maybe the chrysalis is only inplantable in the age of 7 or somthing.

3.  How will the survivors get the Daodan Chyrsalis?

With the help of the remains of the syndicate, (maybe) theres only a few thousand people who can afford it (like a group of ultra rich and their children). And a special army of the new organisation, who might that be, maybe a devided part of the old syndicate (with a different name), with one of the old members making a reputation for him self to be the leader. Suppose muro is dead, with the black ninja who got his neck stepped on. But the chrysalis would only be a privilage to be extra sure if anything goes wrong with those "hightech places", and for the socalled new army and the ones that are spreading the boarders of the habitable areas, possibly making new places to live in. (In this case it would make more sense that people have hypos, than normal people carrying them when Konoko is the only one using them, like in Oni1.) For the others outside oxygen mask...

4.  Will SLDs or robots of that caliber be able to exist in the new human society?

There must be lots of robots if there is somekind of reconstruction of the old wolrd (like said before), and where rich live there must be slds in most apartments to slave for their ass smile

(sorry for my bad english)

Last edited by dez_zt (02/02/07 15:02)

#6 02/02/07 17:02

geyser
Website

Apparently dez_zt just read my mind and wrote exactly what I would have written if I hadn't written so much already (lazy, tired) smile
For 1 and 4, at least.
Amendment for 2: just because Mai and Muro got it implanted early doesn't mean adults are right out.
That's not the problem anyway. The problem is: who'd want it after what happened to the prototypes?
Amendment for 3: not much to amend, actually. I used to suggest "someone like Mukade" (AKA "the black ninja who got his neck stepped on" smile ), but: a) this is personal and biased; b) I didn't say "Mukade", I said "someone like". Mukade Too (2) smile
Otherwise it's pretty close to Syndicate effectively "coming forward" as the basis of a social New Deal, META, all that stuff (hints at the end of my last post). Really amazing.

#7 02/02/07 18:02

stripeytiger

I'm afraid you're mistaken, geyser.  Wolverine is an anti-hero of Marvel, not DC.  I can tell you that he was a surprising number of similarities to Mai.

1.  Wolverine can regenerate from most wounds that get inflicted on him (This doesn't make him invincible, though).  Mai is pretty much the same way.

2.  Wolverine can fly into Bezerker Rages, which makes him an effective killing machine.  Mai has the Overpower Effect and Daodan Spikes, which seems to make her an effective killing machine, too.

3.  Wolverine does not particularly enjoy killing or the Bezerker Rages (This kind of information can be found on Wikipedia).  Mai doesn't really get a kick out of killing people, although it's not clear if she likes the OE or the DS.

4.  Wolverine has acute senses, like hearing and smelling, not to mention good reflexes.  Mai definitely has good reflexes, and likely has acute senses as well.

5.  Wolverine has been exploited as a weapon by the Canadian government (He's Canadian, just like me!), and possibly several other organizations.  Mai was exploited as a weapon by Griffin and his TCTF people, and maybe even a couple other groups.

6.  Wolverine has had Adamantium (An extremely tough metal in the Marvel Multiverse) put into his bones, which kept his mutant development stable until it got ripped out of him.  Mai was given Syntropin (Is that even real medicine?) to keep her Daodan development stable until she apparantly stopped taking it.

7.  Wolverine has recently been revealed to be at least 200 years old and didn't recover his memories until recently (Wikipedia, and that has to be a lot of memories!).  If your ideas are used, geyser, Mai would probably have a lot of blanks and could probably live for a very long time, thanks to the DC.

8.  Wolverine hates himself for the many things he has done in his life (Wikipedia).  Considering how Mai crushed a mirror-like glass pane under her foot, which showed her face, she probably hates herself for what she did in Oni, too.

I could go on and on here, but the fact is that if you know Wolverine's history inside and out (Wikipedia is very helpful that way!), then you would notice that Mai and Wolverine seem very much similar to each other.  Do you think this was on purpose or was it more like something very unintentional?

#8 02/03/07 05:02

dez_zt

He could of been a part of the idea, and they do share some similarities, but not all the way.

Mai only has the sense of feeling another person who has the crysalis, no super smell, hearing or whatever, atleast the plot dose not mention about it. But she is a mutatnt in a way. But she needs hypos to regenerate. Berserk Rages and such things are mostly findable in Pierre's project. I mean running super fast throu windows and hitting an opponent that flys away is KP. She only gets stronger from overpowering, but she dosen't do more impresive things than when she is almost dead. Only one time was it mentioned that she gets more aggresive but thats minor and mostly about her endurance. Mai was only a project of defense at first, and none wanted her to even get invalved with deeper investigations, but she got out of hand. I don't know too much about Wolverine but Mai is emotional and emphatic... (with a nice agressive touch)

Is Darth Vader and Muro next? smile

#9 02/03/07 06:02

Mango

dez_zt wrote:

Is Darth Vader and Muro next? smile

shutupbitch.jpg

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#10 02/03/07 13:02

geyser
Website

Subtitle to Mango's picture: "Mai, err... Leia, I am your father"

@stripey:
It is entirely possible that both anti-heroes were thought up independently.
The way you presented it, it is tempting to assume that someone at Bungie West was a Wolverine fan.
Your list is a very good start (please continue, either here or on OG), but how come you didn't mention the hairstyle ? smile

I tend to put Marvel and DC in one basket. Sorry about the mess.
Hey, Seventeen Seconds is Canadian, too! smile
Thank you for outlining the parallel with Wolverine, ST EDIT: Fixed, used to link to the weasel smile
(really, how much time do you gain by using those abbreviations?)
(and how much time does it take to actually link to Wikipedia?)

Neither the metal Adamantium nor the medicine Sytropin exist as of today. Surprised? smile
Well, there is Sytropin, but they're "Human Growth Hormones". No comment.

@dez_zt: Mai's face during an "ecstasy", as drawn by Lorraine, qualifies as "berserk" in my book. "Feral".
Keen vision, smelling and hearing: why not? It's not like Oni's rather short plot lets us see a lot anyway...
As an anti-hero, Wolverine is as reflective, emotional and empathic as Mai at times.
I've only seen the (first) X-Men movie, but mostly I agree with stripeytiger's analysis.

Last edited by geyser (02/06/07 08:02)

#11 02/04/07 07:02

stripeytiger

I thought up an interesting idea.  How about a religious/scientific cult that could be called something like COD - Cult of Daodan?  I mean, you could have a group that will take people, brainwash them into thinking that the Daodan Chyrsalis is the ultimate religious experience, and not to mention implant them with DCs.  I know you said that the DC was a disaster, and I understand that.  However, I'd like to point out that there's always those people who wouldn't care that the DC was a big disaster, even if they knew it.  What would be interesting is how the DC is being looked at in a religious context, the "loss of identity" that you say so many times, (;)) the fact that scientists can be very religious (If not to established religions, then to science), and the fact that the cult wouldn't even need a world domination scheme to be considered a big threat to other organizations and individuals. 

Well, it's something to think about, anyway.  wink

#12 02/04/07 14:02

geyser
Website

FYI, I'm doing a PhD in theoretical physics. And I don't like it when people view real-world science as a religion smile
Of course there are cases of dogmatism, or blind faith, but that's not what makes real-world science what it is.

But of course there's no problem with focusing on several self-righteous (i.e., bad/mad) scientists (Hasegawa, Kerr).
If Mai has it her way for a while, no doubt she will preach something like "Mankind as we knew it is doomed, doomed!" etc.
And if you let her (or someone similar) do that stuff, yes, she might spread some faith around. But how long will that last?
Interestingly, creating a Daodan-enhanced community was exactly Muro's goal.
Strikers are fanatics driven by that very thing: faith in Muro, and faith in the Daodan.
I am as curious as you about the "religious" aspects of STURMANDERUNG as Muro's "social project".

So did Mai merely mean to take Muro's (and yes, actually Hasegawa's) plan to completion? Looks so...
But then the question is: will she really keep going in that direction, and for how long?
Is someone else interested in such a prospect? Beheaded Syndicate? WCG? The public?

One point about religion is that there's the sheep (who truly believe, at a high level of abstraction, and usually low level of consistence),
and there's the organization (who know better, whatever that may imply: expert knowledge of religion also means you have perspective).
Usually, that's the way it is. The masses are easily fanatized, but some people in the middle of it all actually know what's going on.
And usually those people, when they decide whether they like it or not, can manage enough influence to actually act on what's going on.
So same question as above, at a more individual level: who'd be interested in bringing Hasegawa's social project to completion?

Last edited by geyser (02/04/07 14:02)

#13 02/04/07 14:02

stripeytiger

Well, I have been planning on making my own sequel to Oni.  I even managed to plot out a storyline into Notepad and save it in a disk.  Of course, considering everything I found out so far, some of the things in my storyline would be implausible.  I can tell you that one of things that I want to put in my storyline is a young corporate head in a corporate dictatorship called Banzai Inc.  He secretly implants himself with a Daodan Chyrsalis and delibrately injures himself to get to the Imago stage behind everyone's backs.  When the senior corporate heads get suspicious, they have him brought to the meeting room to execute him.  However, he goes Imago and wipes them out in a gory and gruesome fashion.  Soon afterwards, he encounters Mai Hasegawa.  Considering everything he's read up on her, the DC, and everything connected to them, he's only to happy to test his powers against hers.  He is basically human-sized, blue-skinned, black-haired, and has a bee-sting behind him.  He can create very sharp and dangerous energy waves just be slashing with his arms and legs.  He would use them to shield himself or tear his enemies apart.  He even names himself Kamikaze Banzai (I'm following the Japanese name process, where Banzai is his first name and Kamikaze is his last name).

I could go on and on here, but there's just too many details.  Heck, I didn't realize until after I plotted out my storyline that I basically came up with a Muro knock-off - although someone dangerous enough to make Imago Muro look like a wimp.  I could post up my storyline if you're interested.  smile

Last edited by stripeytiger (02/04/07 14:02)

#14 02/04/07 16:02

geyser
Website

Attachments still don't work, so it would depend on how detailed your storyline is... smile

(Actually, I don't know what the post length limit is on this forum; on the previous one, I had it bumped to 40000 chars smile )
The genesis of Mr. Kamikaze (how original, really...) is actually close to that suggested for Muro, on the old forum.
It was first brought up by Laughing Man Ra, and we developed on it quite a bit afterwards. You can find the thread HERE
(basically, we know Muro got rid of all the old Syndicate leaders, but when did he ever start? why not at a plenary session of the Council?)

As for the rivalry with Mai, it's echoing Oni's Muro a bit, too. As for the superpowers and the bee-sting... no comment smile

Last edited by geyser (02/05/07 17:02)

#15 02/04/07 18:02

stripeytiger

Well, I'll admit that my description does sound wierd.  Personally, I thought Imago Muro wasn't really all that dangerous.  I think a character like Kamikaze Banzai, who uses attacks similar to that ninja Eiji Kisagri, can move surprisingly fast, and do a super move which consists of KB running, grabbing a target and smashing him/her/it into an object, and yelling "Banzai!" sounds more dangerous than Imago Muro ever was.

When I try to picture what the world would be like after the events in Oni, well...do you know an anime called Fist of the North Star?  Well, I think the world would be something like that, in terms of thugs running around and killing anybody they come across, and powerful people (In more than one sense) bossing all these thugs around and being blatant dictators.  Well, that's what I think, anyway.

#16 02/05/07 06:02

stripeytiger

Man, I just realized that Kamikaze Banzai's moves sound more like Rugal Bernstein's moves!  Just when I thought I had an original character, I end up realizing that my character is not exactly original!  sad

#17 02/05/07 07:02

stripeytiger

Oni 2

Oni 2 is my sequel to Oni, the game released by Bungie West in 2001.  It takes place 10 years after the events in Oni.  By this time, the WCG and the Syndicate no longer exist.  In fact, the government in place is a corporation called
Banzai Inc.  It has various branches in virtually every part of the world.  There
are other corporate governments, but Banzai is the biggest, most dominent one.

Everybody now has a Daodan Chyrsalis, but Banzai keeps a tight lid on DCs.  For instance, they have done everything in their power to discourage anyone from evolving to the Imago stage.  Anyone who does evolve are struck down ruthlessly, with the event broadcasted live on television and the Net. 

Konoko aka Mai Hasegawa is still alive at this time, but she has gotten older and has become a lost soul.  She has not practiced her martial art skills since the
day she defeated her brother Muro and destroyed most of the Atmospheric Processors around the world.  She is seriously out of practice.  She is also haunted by her past and her actions, and has taken up drinking as a way to cope with the pain.
            She has not connected to anyone out of fear that they would turn away from her, exploit her, or kill her.  She has also been very careful to keep her Daodan abilities to an absolute minimum.  She frankly hates herself, and yet she is also the type to keep going, no matter how she feels.         

One night, Mai goes to her apartment, and lays on her bed.  She is thinking about the events of 2032.  She comes out and says that she wishes that she had a new purpose.  She hears a voice saying that she can help her with that.  When Mai
demands who's there, the response is "Me, of course!" and it turns out to be
Shinatama!  Mai's response is to say, "No, it can't be you!  You're dead!  You died twice!"  Shinatama calms her down and explains that back in 2032, she had a portion of her soul transferred to a newly forming SLD body.  She did this so
secretly that no one, not even Griffen and the TCTF, knew about it.  However,
her soul merged with that SLD's soul, it had a lot of interesting side effects.  One side effect is that Shinatama has become rather aggressive and loves to fight.  Also, she refers to Mai by her real name, and not Konoko.  When asked, Shinatama reveals that she didn't look for Konoko right away because she felt that she needed to stay with the person who the SLD was patterned after.  Then, when that person died in an accident, Shinatama went around looking for Konoko.  Shinatama challenges Konoko to a fight.  Shinatama responds to Konoko's surprise by explaining that she learned all of Konoko's fighting moves.  Konoko
accepts the challenge.  Konoko is able to punch and kick, but she gets beaten by
Shinatama quite easily.  Shinatama is disappointed and points out that 10 years
back, Konoko could have won.  Konoko responds by saying that she is not the person she was 10 years.  Shinatama reveals that she can understand why Konoko is acting like this, and she happens to know someone Konoko can connect to.  This convinces Konoko to come with her.

Konoko and Shinatama go to a community where there are poor people there.  These people have been pushed around and victimized by Banzai.  Shinatama takes Konoko to one of the houses.  The next morning, she meets the man Shinatama was talking about.  He is a young man named Hiroshi Veitei.  He is a computer expert and a staunch opponent of Banzai.  Sitting with him, they have a recorded interview, and she tells him about the events in 2032.  After the interview is done, Hiroshi is impressed that Konoko was able to survive such horrible circumstances.  Konoko reveals that she had lost her purpose back in 2032, and she frankly has no idea what to do.  Hiroshi tells her about the community, and how he's been trying to find evidence that Banzai is treating the people rather horribly.  He asks her to help him find the evidence.  Konoko agrees, basically because she feels a need to do something different.

Konoko infiltrates a high-class party, where she hopes to meet Revain Musashi, the son of Musashi from Oni.  She meets him, and persuades him to meet him in his office and talk privately for a few minutes.  It just so happens that Revain had inherited Musashi Manufacturing from his father, and he hates Banzai with a passion.  They talk and Konoko tells him how she is a reporter and she's looking for a place to find some dirt from a company that enjoys the kamakazi attack pattern.  Musashi, understanding the meaning behind her words, says that any place that involves finding some dirt from a company in general is the source.  This ends the interview, and Konoko leaves the party.

Konoko tells Hiroshi and Shinatama about the party.  Hiroshi is nervous, because this means that if they want answers, then they have to go to Banzai Corporate Offices, which is the most protected building in the city.  Konoko, who still has a lot of intelligence, points out that the best thing to do would be to
sneak in there and get the information very quietly.

Konoko goes to BCO, and after a while, manages to find the dirt on Banzai.  She manages to sneak out, only to find herself surrounded by heavily armed troopers, who have captured Shinatama and Hiroshi along with her.  They take the DVD case from Konoko and are preparing to kill them.  Konoko remembers what her uncle, Dr. Kerr told her all those years ago.  She says, "I think it's time I find out who the fuck I really am!", and with that, evolves to the Imago stage.  When the lights clear, Konoko reveals herself to be an angel with wings, and eyes that
show both sides of her.  A fight erupts, and eventually Konoko gets the DVD case
back.  With that, the three of them are forced to run off.

The three of them are hiding out in the sewers, and are safe for the moment.
They realize that they are big trouble, because they stole compromising information on Banzai, and Konoko is now Imago, which is strictly forbidden.  Hiroshi tells them that the best thing to do would be to get to a TV Reporting Station and broadcast the information for everyone to see.  They decide to do this.

After setting up many false leads for Banzai to follow, they get to the TV RS andmeet up with Howard, a friend of Hiroshi.  They quickly broadcast the information and the recorded interview on TV and the Net.  Konoko reveals herself to everyone watching and says that Banzai will try to kill her and anyone else who goes Imago.  She says that she will fight back against them, and asks them if they will fight back.  This causes several people to go Imago and to vow to fight back against Banzai.  At that point, the Banzai Army surrounds the TV RS and prepares to blow it off the face of the Earth.  Konoko tells them to stay in the building and goes out there.  Using her power, Konoko kills off the entire army.  She comes back in and tells them they're safe from them.  Her eyes clearly show sadness and
determination.  They realize that to bring down Banzai in this city, they have to
bring down BCO.

Konoko leads an army of Imago people against the BCO.  Several Banzai people, in desperation, go Imago, and try to counterattack.  What happens next is a bloody, all-out battle, but in the end, Konoko's army wins.  The BCO ends up being obliterated.  Several people debate over what the new government should be.  They decide to make a democracy, which had not been done in a long time.

Konoko, Shinatama, and Hiroshi are at the top of one tall building and can see the whole city.  Hiroshi tells them that he plans to be a representative of the people who have no desire to go Imago.  Shinatama tells them that she will represent all the SLDs and give them a voice, which has never been done before.  They ask Konoko what she will do.  She tells them that she will teach people about the Daodan Chyrsalis, and do her best to show them how to handle it responsibly.  As they look, Konoko thinks about how this is not over.  Banzai is still alive in other
parts of the world, and will fight back.  There will also be others, who will misuse their power and try to take the world for themselves, or destroy it, or both.  There are also others like Banzai, who will try to rise up from Banzai's ashes.  She also thinks about how she no longer hates herself, and how she finally knows who she is, and what her purpose is.

The credits come up here.

Last edited by stripeytiger (02/05/07 07:02)

#18 02/05/07 07:02

stripeytiger

This is my storyline posted above.  The storyline was done in HTML format, but I removed the tags for convenience and space (Actually, my storyline fit just fine in there, even with the tags).  It has some pretty strong language in it, just in case some of you are bothered by such things.  I should point out that the Kamikaze Banzai idea didn't occur to me until after I came up with this storyline.  I also understand that my storyline contains stuff that has already been talked about.  Although I should point out that while in some other possible storylines, Shinatama transfers herself into an empty robot body (Hikari), in my storyline, Shinatama transfers a part of herself into a non-empty robot body with interesting results.  smile

#19 02/05/07 08:02

geyser
Website

Hikari is not an "empty robot body": she's an SLD-like avatar of Shinatama.

I also understand that my storyline contains stuff that has already been talked about.

Indeed. "Is that good or bad?" ...no comment for now.

She has not connected to anyone out of fear that they would turn away from her, exploit her, or kill her.

Reminds me of THIS.

Last edited by geyser (02/05/07 09:02)

#20 02/06/07 07:02

stripeytiger

Oh yeah, and I have what happen in the last parts of the game with Kamikaze Banzai in it.

Kamikaze Banzai slaughters all the senior corporate heads.  He bursts out of the building.  Right in front of Mai's Imago army, he uses his power to wipe the Banzai Corporate Offices off the face of the earth.  Now, instead of facing the building, they are facing him.  He proves to be very hard for the army to handle.  In fact, Mai ends up battling him one-on-one (She didn't more people to die because of her).  However, both of them find themselves in a situation where they can't win or lose.  They simulataneously land blows on each other that knock them both unconcious.  At that moment, Hiroshi comes in with a big tube containing a special suit and secures Banzai in it.  He presses a button at the lower part of the tube, which blows blue mist in there.  This causes Banzai to snap awake and writhe in pain as he reverts back to his human form.  Hiroshi quickly hits another button, which activates air filters in the tube.  Mai wakes up to find out what happened.  Hiroshi reveals that he was working on making a good prison cell for the prison he was planning to establish, and that he came up with Anti-Daodan Chrysalis Cells that will destroy the Chyrsalis in the host entirely.  Banzai laughs, and reveals that he'd been watching Mai and everyone associated to her, and that he had some thugs steal a sample of the cells to be given to weapon dealers.  In response, Hiroshi makes an emergency press conference, where he tells the public about the ADCC and to advise them to have gas masks and air filtering systems in their homes.

The scene with establishing a democracy, and the scene with Mai, Shinatama, and Hiroshi is pretty much the same.  However, when Mai is thinking about what's going to happen next, a picture of Banzai is shown when she thinks about the part on people misusing their powers.  The credits roll, and then a scene is shown.  It takes place in the newly established prison, where some people are discussing how several guards are keeping an eye Banzai in his tube, as well as electronic security that is trained on him.  Meanwhile, in the tube, Banzai is laughing and grinning.  He promises that he will solve this problem, and that when he escapes, he will make everyone pay!

#21 02/06/07 07:02

stripeytiger

For those of you who are interested in finding out about Wolverine, here's the link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

Oh, and by the way, I got an idea that I think would be interesting to go into: the robots and their place in the new world.  Like you said, geyser, they would be needed to help rebuild human society.  However, a good question to ask is this: what if some of them got tired of cleaning up the messes that humans keep making?  Also, in the game Oni, Shinatama was used, abused, and killed off twice by humans.  I think it's likely that several robots will find out what happened to Shinatama and decide that the time has come to make humans pay for all the wrongs they heaped on them.  Some of them might start killing humans blatantly, while others manipulate or fool humans (e.g Playing servant or actually impersonating humans).  In short, you get a war between humans and robots.

Now, you might wonder how all of that would involve Mai.  Well, if the robots found out what happened to Shinatama, then they would have found out about Mai and her secrets, and likely make her the primary target.  Also, if Hikari was put in this, this would add complications to the situation.  As "...a SLD-like avatar of Shinatama," she should be able to understand or identify with the robots and their attitude.  However, since Shinatama was patterned after Mai's brain engrams, Hikari should also feel a need to protect Mai, and maybe other humans.

Well, that's what I think, anyway.  big_smile

#22 02/06/07 10:02

geyser
Website

Erm, yeah, I had linked to the weasel up there. Forgot the "(comics)" smile

Please edit your posts to append second-thought stuff, whenever possible. Double-posting is "bad" smile

DeDaodan - no comment for now smile Or rather: if you have to deDaodanize every convict (note that it takes a Daodan cop to knock him out first...), it sure made a lot of sense to Daodanize the whole society in the first place...
Prohibiting the Imago stage by means of what? a law? a worldwide army (of non-Imagoes?)? Wouldn't you get, oh, about a hundred thousand Banzais for every Mai, if it was such a fine line? And, all that for what?

Mad, inconsiderate or mischievous people might create "full-featured AI", capable of conceiving personal rights, revolt, war etc.
Then you'd get Terminator and Matrix and all that. But at the global scale it's highly unlikely because of the massive safeguard of uselessness.
Specifically, in order to rebuild the world, you don't need robots with lifelike personalities.
You need robots with the IQ of a retarded ant. Computers, processors, brute force.

Then again, all the concepts that make up human condition (including democracy) are so messy that I wouldn't expect any ever-so-slightly rational mind to want any of it: why bother? is human condition that enviable, really?

Anyway, in the case of Oni, robots are unambiguously subordinate to humans. Specifically, it's not up to them to come up with completely new tasks: they carry out routines and obey orders. The ACC incident is a "malfunction", not a revolt smile
As opposed to robots, SLDs are grown rather than built, and thus closer to "that full-featured AI that no one actually needs". But they too are strictly subordinate to humans (and Zombie Shinatama is actually no exception).
Additionally, Shinatama is part of a careful project that aims to explore how far the lifelikeness can be taken without blurring the line between human and SLD (because no one on the human side actually needs that).
Shinatama's case is a warning, and after the alarmed comments by the scientists in charge, you could expect a U-turn from the WCG (or what's left of it): legal SLD projects would then be shut down. Note that SLDs are still completely disposable/regulated/subordinate at the time of Oni.
As for Tankers, I wouldn't expect them to have more in terms of free will, and even lifelike AI, than legal SLDs (thus I don't expect them to choose leaders, start riots etc). Not at the time of Oni, and not in any near future. Because no one needs them that way: uncontrollable, asking for legal rights...

Seriously, I can't help but smile when watching Matrix's Genesis (AKA the Second Renaissance).
Making AIs thoroughly lifelike is obviously a lot of trouble to go to.
And just as obviously, the best you can expect for those lifelike AI...
is that they'll actually behave like humans! With all the nasty bits.
So yeah, if you create machines "to your image", they'll give you wars and democracy and revenge. No surprise.
The obvious question is "Do we need this?" The obvious answer is "Only in a science-fiction plot." smile

I tried to vulgarize it a bit, but it's "often" addressed in the more serious/boring "philo-sci-fi": Turing's Man, Golem, all that...
Sorry if I was tedious, and, just as in your case, that's just my opinion, heh smile

What I do not understand about your stuff is why androids would blame anything on Mai: what wrong did Mai ever do to Shinatama?

It's rather sweet how everybody wants to hog Hikari, really smile
My own biggest piece "evah" on Hikari (well, not only her) can be found HERE.

Last edited by geyser (02/06/07 11:02)

#23 02/06/07 15:02

stripeytiger

Well, if you consider that some "corrupt" (:lol:) robots want to strike back at humans, they could go around spreading lies and making it sound like Mai was responsible for Shinatama's death.  They could use Mai as a scapegoat and as an excuse to attack humans.  The robots being told this might believe that, because they have no way of finding out the truth for themselves.

Oh, and sorry about the double-posting.  I'll make sure to use the "edit" button next time.  sad

Last edited by stripeytiger (02/06/07 15:02)

#24 02/07/07 04:02

geyser
Website

OK, then it's not Artificial Intelligence we're talking about, right?
Artifficial Corruption and Artificial Stupidity. Who'd need that?

And why use Mai as an "excuse" rather than blaming the real McCoy?

On the subject of Mutant Mai, have you seen THOSE?

Last edited by geyser (02/07/07 04:02)

#25 02/07/07 07:02

stripeytiger

Um, gee, those pictures of Mutant Mai look like they were based off of Mutant Muro.  Personally, I'm not so sure that she would look like that if she went Imago.  In fact, I think in one of the older posts, someone said that Mai is basically an Angel of Death.  Considering how accurately that describes her, it would make perfect sense if her Imago form resembled a dangerous looking angel - complete with wings and a look that spells out death to everyone who gets on the wrong side of her.  smile

Board footer