Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 10/09/12 23:10

Samer
Website

Re: BGI Ninbot- XSI modeling, exporting and Buffer overflow issues.

Ed is this right :
-create:trbs D:\Games\Oni\Oni Projects\new hayate\new jacket\resolve buffer -normals D:\Games\Oni\Oni Projects\new hayate\new jacket\resolve buffer\hayate.dae
the path is long .. but that gives me no input file found .. even though the file is there

Neither can I find this :

geyser wrote:

One easy way to generate smooth normals is to delete the ones that you are looking at (just explore the mesh properties, and delete the vertex normals properties; back up your model before, just in case).

i explored the mesh properties tongue can't find the vertex thing :\ if someone with xsi knows where that is please tell me.

edit : is this it ?
SNAG-0249.jpg
the "pelvis_normal" under pelvis ? I deleted that and exported .. it didn't solve the sorting buffer overflow issue

Last edited by Samer (10/09/12 23:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#52 10/09/12 23:10

EdT
Website

You have spaces in your path names, that is why no input file can be found.  If it worked before with the GUI, then there must have been code to take care of the spaces.

#53 10/09/12 23:10

Samer
Website

mm it converted now without the spaces .. (yes gui works with the spaces)

however neither the xsi method nor the onisplit method resolved the sorting buffer overflow :\ .. i want to cry sad

I don't think onisplit generated the normals .. the resulting trbs file has same size if i used the normals tag or didn't. (is that expected?)

edit : i'll remove motion blur from all his moves it's, not an optimal solution.since he can still get it with forcefield and phasecloak if on together.

Last edited by Samer (10/10/12 07:10)

#54 10/10/12 08:10

EdT
Website

Samer:  I was looking at the Hayate_jacket model, I noticed that on the chest, you have a number of duplicate polygons. I recall you mentioning you would copy a polygon and invert it.  However, since the chest is a whole piece, you won't see any backside of a polygon, so there is no need for duplicate polygons. 

When there is a possibility to see the backside of a polygon, such as Hanako's skirt, you would need to have duplicate polygons, each facing outwards.  However, there needs to be a small gap between them, they should not be sharing the same space.

In addition, some duplicates were facing the wrong way.  The top polygon was showing the backside and the bottom was showing the front.  So in essence, you were looking through the top polygon to see the bottom one.

Since, Hayate is relatively low in polygon count and you still have the issue of buffer overflow, the duplicate polygons could be the cause.

Edit: If you extract a model from Oni, you will notice how it looks blocky in your 3d program, since it is low poly.  Now if you were to import that same model back to Oni without the -normals tag, it will look blocky in Oni.  However, by applying the -normals tag to the TRBS, then the model looks relatively smooth in Oni.  The -normals tag does not change the number of polygons or the size of a model, just the appearance in the game.

#55 10/10/12 08:10

ltemplar

1)Question one..did you first remove normals from the Pelvis in XSI?
2)I used normal tag without any problem...for resolving this issue with Heavy bot (BGI_ROBOT)
3)Thats what you looking for are normals yes (on the screen)
4)How do you delete them..by inversing their coordinates..or taping them to have 0 issue angels(their normals paths reduced) or simply delate?

EDIT1) Do you welded unused vertex/points in UVW editor..to reduce how many normals you have them? (note welding pints in UWV is different than welding vertexes in object modification )
From what i see..you have normals all around the belt even doubled in many places. What causing this?
EDIT2- EdT- HE have dabbled faces?...how many?...do they have the same 0 space(and only flipped) or different?..To remove them just only delete will not work..he must select them then tap de-attach then he can delete this newly created object.
EDIT3. For EdT...I believe you referring to smoothing groups now(how light is distributed on polygon between the vertexes).Normals tel us from what direction light is coming and impacting the mess (or vertex..see for example box and invert normals...and then see what depend)) ..from what i know.  Smoothing groups are type of shading(how light is distributed on polygon surface)..None, Simple , Gouraud's, Phong's, etc .But maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by ltemplar (10/10/12 09:10)

#56 10/10/12 09:10

Samer
Website

EdT wrote:

Samer:  I was looking at the Hayate_jacket model, I noticed that on the chest, you have a number of duplicate polygons. I recall you mentioning you would copy a polygon and invert it.  However, since the chest is a whole piece, you won't see any backside of a polygon, so there is no need for duplicate polygons.

n addition, some duplicates were facing the wrong way.  The top polygon was showing the backside and the bottom was showing the front.  So in essence, you were looking through the top polygon to see the bottom one.

I duplicated polygons under the arms and on the collar cz they weren't get textures a hole was showing under his arms and the collar from the side disappeared .. however after i sent u the model i fixed that .. i removed the duplicate polygons and fixed what you're talking about smile the chest has no duplicated polygons now.. the thing i recently realized that in xsi once u duplicate and invert it doesn't look any different in xsi .. however after i reimport it to xsi i can see the thick polygons .. however even that didn't get rid of the buffer overflow .. it seemed to reduce it though ..

ltemplar wrote:

1)Question one..did you first remove normals from the Pelvis in XSI?

How do you delete them..by inversing their coordinates..or taping them to have 0 issue angels(their normals paths reduced) or simply delate?

i deleted the "pelvis_normal" thing that shows under the node properties when u open explorer (seethe screenshot.) I don't know what the other stuff u said means tongue

EDIT1) Do you welded unused vertex/points in UVW editor..to reduce how many normals you have them? (note welding pints in UWV is different than welding vertexes in object modification )

mmm how do i weld points in UV .. ? looking at the uc i don't see "unused" ones ..

From what i see..you have normals all around the belt even doubled in many places. What causing this?

i don't know :\ but since then i've decreased the belt polycount again the normals decreased but they still seem plenty ..

#57 10/10/12 09:10

EdT
Website

I duplicated polygons under the arms and on the collar cz they weren't get textures a hole was showing under his arms and the collar from the side disappeared ..

That happens when the polygon is facing the wrong way.  In Oni, the backside of a polygon is rendered invisible. So instead of duplicating the polygon the solution would be to flip or reverse the face of the polygon, so that the front is facing outward.

Edit: As a test, replace Hayate's chest with one from a character in Oni.  If that solves the buffer overflow issue, then the chest is the cause of the problem.  Use that same process to test other complicated parts.

#58 10/10/12 09:10

Samer
Website

yeah i realized that tongue i inverted some ..
This is how the chest is now .. no duplicate polygons .. but some blue edges .. btw i used bridge edges to fill the gap under the arms ... but it also seems to have many normals .. i deleted the normals from explorer like i said above for the pelvis .. these are xsi generated.
SNAG-0260.jpg
this is the pelvis, it does seem to have many vertices on the belt and in the belt's uv
SNAG-0259.jpg
and the entire model
SNAG-0256.jpg

the normals are xsi generated after i deleted the original ones. I also tried the same but with Onisplit -normals after i deleted them from xsi
I'll try ur suggestion Ed, I think it's the pelvis or boots .. cz i didn't notice the buffer issue till i got to modeling the lower body ..but the problem is how to fix it ..

Last edited by Samer (10/10/12 10:10)

#59 10/10/12 10:10

Samer
Website

Sorry double post, want ltemplar to see this.
Ltemplar is that the right way to remove the normals ?
and how do i weld vertices in uv ? .. I see snap options and heal .. But that messes up the uv too much and they don't look like they need welding.

Last edited by Samer (10/10/12 10:10)

Board footer