Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#226 08/14/12 07:08

Iritscen

Re: AE Release! (2010-05)

On the subject of what was included in the AE, I think a lot of it was put in because we didn't have much to choose from in the beginning.  Certainly I agree that some of those old mods are underwhelming or very minor.  Also, some of them were never finished; the Improved Weather mod was going to be a really cool revamp of the weather on Rooftops, for instance, but we never made much progress with it.

Just to clarify what I meant by the "Gumby and Iritscen Show" comment that Samer brought up in the other thread, I was actually referring less to running the AE project and picking what mods to include, and more to the actual making of mods.  We wanted to select the best mods to include with the AE, but we didn't have enough to choose from (this was in Jan. 2010).  As I said later in that post, "We of the AE Team need you guys as fellow fans, and we also need some of you as contributors."  These days, we definitely have a lot more to choose from!

But rather than haggling over what is included, I think the solution is what a couple of you have suggested above: to remove the optional mods from the AE package, and allow the AE Installer to list whatever is available to download from the Mod Depot (including GUIs).  In a way, this was always our goal for the AEI, but getting the basics to work took enough of our time that we put off the download feature for a future release.  While I was not always 100% convinced that it was necessary to make the AEI read the Mod Depot when people could just visit the Depot directly, I now think there's a real advantage to the user if we just integrate everything into the tiny AEI app instead of requiring people to use their browser for part of the experience.

I only hesitate to jump right on this because there are other things in the works that I simply can't talk about right now; as I mentioned earlier, it would be best if we could wait a couple months before putting out a new AE.  At the same time, I didn't want to speak for Gumby (who has always handled the coding for the Windows side) because he has told us that he is retired.  So when it is time to work on the AEI, I have to see if Gumby is willing to come out of retirement, or else I'll need to look for a new Windows-side partner.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#227 08/14/12 07:08

Samer
Website

ok Iritscen, thanks for clarifying. The download idea is good, but if it needs a lot of coding and changing the mod depot, and if it turns out unreliable (internet connection breaks, some mods change drastically many are not package form ,and for screenshots and for instructions) i'm offering to do that cataloge idea, if u need it let me know, of course it'll be a discussion before i make a finished version, if needed. Good luck with what you're making and sad to hear that gumby ''retired'' was wondering why he isn't around anymore, wish i knew coding hmm

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#228 08/14/12 10:08

Iritscen

Just a side note, I think some people missed where Gumby said he was retired, but it's actually in a post in this thread from 8/23/11.

#229 08/14/12 10:08

s10k
Website

If you need some help I think I can get some time to work with you.

Last edited by s10k (08/14/12 10:08)

#230 08/14/12 15:08

Iritscen

Okay, I appreciate it.  It's too early to say if/what help is needed, but I'll keep you in mind.

#231 08/23/12 18:08

Samer
Website

didn't know where else to put this, some suggestions about AE installer

have it arrange packages by number (ie folder name) and not alphabetically, that way similar mods are arranged after each other (levels, animations, characters) for example right now I have Andrashi (Animation) then Alita (character) then Arena (level) then BGI Agents (character) appear after each other .. if they appeared by number it will be easier to spot and disable or enable all packages of same type (if a mod requires to disable other texture packages for example)  right now you have to scroll entire list and see each if it's a texture mod (mine has more than 40 mods)

It will also make it easier to know which package overwrites which for compatibility .. (the package that appears last in the list overwrites the one before it)

Also if possible to add this : right clicking on the package in the list allows you to open the package's corresponding folder.

Last edited by Samer (08/23/12 18:08)

#232 09/22/12 15:09

s10k
Website

Here's a suggestion.

Right now the installer doesn't check for dependencies.

Would be nice if in the future we could at least give a warning when a mod requires another that isn't available (and of course allow write dependencies for the new mods).

This would help very much in some mods that require others. For example the china mod requires about other 3 packages, and it will crash if they aren't present. This would at least warn the user of that.

#233 11/10/12 14:11

Samer
Website

Can I make a mod called 'Anniversary Edition Light 2012' that includes the bug fixes, latest onisplit, oniunlocker, and other small mods, (strip down the bigger mods) and an offline catalog of the current mods and some samples of mods. In addition to a more explained process of installing AE ? (you'd be surprised by how many people still struggle with intalling it)
credit will be given to everyone in details of course, and i will clearly state that it's not the official AE.

And when gumby is ready to update the AE you release the new one.

Last edited by Samer (11/10/12 14:11)

#234 11/10/12 17:11

Lukas Kreator

If, by any chance, you mean MY oniunlocker, I want to say I would be extremely honored to contribute!

#235 11/10/12 18:11

Samer
Website

Yes, smile everytime someone from the fb grp downloads a new level i have to tell them to download it as well, so it will be more convenient to just include it in a light AE ..
Really i can make and release this if i get the ok from you Iritscen, think of it as Christmas Edition .. Won't remove/overwrite or modify the original AE, will be light weight as we discussed and Gumby can release another full AE whenever he wants later, but it's really really time for an update. (over 2 years now), just to show users we're still alive and kicking and to make downloading the mods more convenient and include the more recent bug fixes and updates. In addition to a more step by step install instructions and a catalaog of recommended mods.
I'll discuss progress and take suggestions of course.

Last edited by Samer (11/10/12 18:11)

#236 11/10/12 19:11

Iritscen

I think the time is right for me to work on an actual AE release (at least, as right as it's going to get).  Is everyone still on-board with the idea of a lightweight AE that comes with just the smaller fixes, and that downloads and installs mod packages from the Depot?

#237 11/10/12 19:11

s10k
Website

As long it clearly lists the mods from the depot yes. Check for updates and dependencies would be a big plus too. Include also some minor mods, like blood.

#238 11/10/12 20:11

Iritscen

Over the next few days I will be assembling some kind of to-do list (probably updating the wiki's).  Stay tuned.

#239 11/10/12 21:11

Samer
Website

Yes a light weight AE but as script said make it as clear as you can that there are other mods available smile but include the small tools like oni level unlocker and newest onisplit and bink32 .. And I'd really appreciate it if you include what's now called the character additives its few kbs and would make installing my characters a lot easier for users , doesn't cause any problems but lack of its prescence will cause crashes, for example if casey or whatever character is installed. since the AE comes with place holder ONCVs and oncvs for 1 outfit characters i think it should also contain those for released characters esp since the oncv for them is justified (more than 1 outfit) the one i have released now is the final one .. And it also contains the stunned throws fix.
And the other issues we discussed before, brutal AE 1.1 instead of 1 (if it's to be included) for example smile
thanks Iritscen.

#240 11/11/12 07:11

Iritscen

Okay, duly noted.  You'll have a chance to comment on the to-do list before I actually do anything, at any rate.

#241 11/11/12 07:11

s10k
Website

You can check the other topic for the most requested features:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=2462

#242 12/25/12 20:12

pauliusk1

guuuys, i cant seem to be able to download this :< is it because im not registered at onimoddepot or cause im too late now? im pretty sad anyhow since this is my fave game from my childhood and i so want to see it evolve smile

#243 12/25/12 20:12

Iritscen

Hi!  You don't need to be registered to download it.  I've been upgrading the site, however, and it's possible that I messed something up.  Can you try again, and if it doesn't work, let me know what went wrong exactly?

#244 12/26/12 20:12

pauliusk1

Iritscen wrote:

Hi!  You don't need to be registered to download it.  I've been upgrading the site, however, and it's possible that I messed something up.  Can you try again, and if it doesn't work, let me know what went wrong exactly?

It worked now thx smile

The thing that happened was that i got a yellow box filled with error messages (on the webpage) and nothing happened when i pressed on the download links :<

#245 12/26/12 21:12

Iritscen

Yeah, it turns out I temporarily broke the site without knowing it, sorry about that.

#246 12/29/12 21:12

pauliusk1

DAMNIT. Reading through this, makes me wish I knew something about the programming or texture making involved in this. Everything I see is a great idea, but alas, cannot be done with a few people with jobs to worry about, and this and that. I just wish I could help. It would rustle my jimmies if I didn't do anything to improve my favorite game...

#247 12/30/12 08:12

s10k
Website

There are some tutorials where you can learn to program or to texture, look here at the forums or at the onigalore wiki.

#248 01/14/13 12:01

Iritscen

Finally, actually, compiling the to-do list for the AE, so here it is, if anyone wants to comment on it.

#249 01/14/13 13:01

Samer
Website

Sounds good ..
I'll try to upload all the fixes I mentioned as soon as I can .. I'll provide them as oni files in folders and then you can decide in which package(s) to include them, or do you prefer each fix as a separate package ?

Last edited by Samer (01/14/13 13:01)

#250 01/14/13 13:01

Iritscen

Depends what you mean by "each fix".  The fixes in Globalize will become separate packages, so if you meant those, then yes, let's keep them separate, but I don't need you to make packages of the fixed .oni files.  I have to assemble the "fix" packages myself for the Depot because I am working with Alloc in testing his AEI and its retrieval of said packages.

Board footer