Lukas Kreator

Re: Old China Level Mod - Final - Oct 17 2012 Update

Loser wrote:

BSL does not allow string comparsion

Actually, it does o_O

#52 06/01/12 14:06

Loser

Confirmed, BSL really does allow string comparsion. However (here comes two cents true on my side), BSL won't execute the following code properly for some strange reason:

func void some_function(string ai_name)
{
  if( ai_name eq "A1" )
  {
    dmsg triggered_by_A1
  }
  else
  {
    dmsg triggered_by_unknown
  }
}

Let the "some_function" be triggered from BINACHAR as a HURT event function, which can be triggered by AI2 characters who have names A1, B1 and C1. No matter which one of them triggers the function, it will always display message triggered_by_unknown.

Weird is that even when the content of local ai_name variable is copied to some global variable and displayed via ingame devconsole, it says the corresponding name, so you can actually see that the name of the AI2 character is for example right the one ( "A1" ), then you double check the BSL script and in the if struct you have correct "A1" condition yet BSL will refuse to acknowledge this as a match and will keep displaying triggered_by_unknown message! I tried to look into it (even went as far as a memory dump attempt) but to no avail.

BIG EDIT: There used to be some hope in the ai_name string case, but it is no longer present. String comparsion with ai_name is terribly buggy and totally unreliable. There goes the only one solid reason for string conditions ^_^

Last edited by Loser (06/01/12 15:06)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#53 06/01/12 14:06

Lukas Kreator

Sooo, I'm happily making progress, as rarely happens, then my computer stops working once and for all. It will no more start up, in fact.
As I don't have my scripts with me, and it will take me some time to fix that and get to work again, feel free to take up my role while I only have access to this terrible computer here...

Sorry.

#54 06/01/12 15:06

Loser

I feel sorry for you - let's hope this accident won't impair your business too much.

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#55 06/01/12 18:06

Lukas Kreator

Thanks. I'll try to begin from scratch again here, but not sure.
But if you mean "business" literally, don't worry about that.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (06/01/12 18:06)

#56 06/02/12 14:06

Gumby

The issue is probably because eq doesn't change the variable reference into a variable. As a test though, try adding dmsg( ai_name ) . The lack of space is important.

Also, if you feel like targeting the beta Daodan DLL (the one with flatline code) you could always use sprintf wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#57 06/02/12 17:06

EdT
Website

Just playing around with trees smile

ChinaTree.jpg

This code works well enough for me:

func void RaceWinner(string ai_name)
{
  if( chr_is_player(ai_name) )
  {
    dmsg ("You are the winner")
  }
  else
  {
       dmsg (ai_name)
       dmsg ("is the winner")
  }  
}	

#58 07/28/12 08:07

EdT
Website

Old China beta has been released, please see first post for updated info.

#59 07/28/12 08:07

Samer
Website

cool will test this as soon as i get electric power back tongue (using mobile browser)
p.s hope the idea of a race vs hayate or at least a fight vs hayate is not abandoned (he would fit so nicely in that level sad)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#60 07/28/12 08:07

EdT
Website

Samer: Your ideas have not been abandoned, they are just not in this release.

#61 07/28/12 13:07

uroboros

I have just finished it^^
Rreached the save point 4 to be precise, but I guess that's the last one.
Its so nice to have a possibility to play new level with the cool individual story after all this years. smile 
It's a really great level but it requires high res texture on some objects, as well as additional props here and there to fill the empty space. And the parkour part could have few obstacles to climb on using loser's mod.

Last edited by uroboros (07/28/12 13:07)

#62 07/28/12 13:07

s10k
Website

Caution needs oni unblock to shows up in the menu:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1951

Never needed this program even after played many new levels but for this one seems mandatory.

---

Loved this level EdT. Is very well build. Loved especially the part where you jump as worker to be a ninja (some soft background music would be fine) and also when you are looking for mukade. Refreshing.

I just thought we got promoted very quickly. Should exist more missions to be promoted. Love the level very big. Last part against tctf is a bit boring maybe should be introduced something like weapons or other stuff.

A couple of bugs I found:
-Dunno why AE Installer didn't copied the bsl files, I needed to do it by myself
-Savepoint 1 is not saving the health.
-If we jump much high in the building we can jump inside:
bugaj.th.jpg

P.S. Seems Ninjas have origin from Japan not from China: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

Last edited by s10k (07/28/12 13:07)

#63 07/28/12 13:07

Iritscen

There were Chinese ninjas too smile  I suspect your problems with the BSL installation is the AE Installer's fault, has it been working for others?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#64 07/28/12 13:07

s10k
Website

Yes others work except this one. I've check the .cfg file but seems correct.

#65 07/28/12 14:07

EdT
Website

Thanks for testing the level.  Now you can see why i'm asking for scripting help!  smile  I can write basic scripts, but not the complex, challenging scripts.

Hopefully, I can get someone to improve the textures. 

I think this level has a lot of potential, there is a lot more things that can be done to improve this level. though, I will need the community's help and suggestions.

#66 07/28/12 18:07

Samer
Website

EdT that was freaking amazing big_smile i enjoyed it a lot .. 1- climbing idea and execution was great never imagined that would work so perfectly would love to see more of that ..
2- loved the part where u have to lead ur team to victory the atmosphere on that wall\bridge made feel like it's another game 3- loved the different colored ninjas black and grey appeared .. and i found it challenging enough actually. I then replayed it as hayate tongue felt like a chinese warrior in another different game .. great work. But i'm so used to beating ninjas tongue in the final fight i kept subconsciously trying to hit the ninjas instead of the tctf tongue 

an idea would be to add another mode where u play it through the tctf side making it through the china level also having to do the same .. leading the team on the bridge vs ninjas .. climbing obstacles till the final battle ..
and i know i kinda keep pushing them but i've always hoped they'd be part of the game :$ so i hope u'd include some custom characters sometime ... like casey and golden tctf in the final battle against tctf ... or have casey lead the tctf team if u play it from the tctf side .. (besides my first suggestion with hayate) i know not everyone has them installed but it could be an option, a save point or a pack requiring the custom characters and another without.

and i found it challenging enough smile and if u call this simple scripting can't wait to see what complex scripting can do tongue !
the level would also be great for a treasure hunt of some sort u follow clues to certain locations and each time u get another clue ..

Last edited by Samer (07/28/12 18:07)

#67 07/28/12 20:07

EdT
Website

Samer:  Glad you liked it, we can do a lot with this level.  There are still areas that haven't been used.  There are open spaces surrounding the buildings that can be used for something.  I would like to add some other things that would be used for Ninja training.   Also, currently, it is too simple to be promoted to the next level, we need to make it harder and challenging to be promoted.  Maybe some more training before the Thug is promoted to Easy Ninja.  Add Furies to the mix, since they are like female ninjas or kunoichis.  Script_10k had an idea for a stealth mission, maybe the treasure hunt can be part of the training...

Regarding the black and gray ninjas, I wanted to add a little variety.  I had an idea for a ninja in camouflage outfit, but didn't get around to it.

What I want to do is keep the concept of the player working his way up the Ninja ladder and once that is completed, then more save points are opened where other types of gameplay is available.

For example, I would like to see a big battle in the style gmsly made for the TCTF HQ, where as you fight you switch sides from time to time.  Perhaps, have battles occurring in different parts of the level.  The only problem is that there is a limit on how many characters can be fighting at one time.

I can also add Leus' Oni Zen Garden to a save point, your idea for a race and so on.

Regarding custom characters, I would like to see you one day make an ultimate custom characters package.  This package would have all the custom characters you have made, plus the character additives.  The users can install a single package and not worry about anything else.  Then it will be much easier to add custom characters to a level.

Also, it would be nice to have a single package with all the updated character textures, Severed's, VR's, yours and so on.

#68 07/29/12 04:07

s10k
Website

An alternative would be release a small update to the edition (last release was far away) with the (most important) new mods released so far, so Samer's new characters would be included by default. Then there will be no need for duplicate packages content.

#69 07/29/12 04:07

Samer
Website

i agree with script .. it would be difficult for me to make 1 mega package of characters cz i'm always updating them and the size for my internet would be too big to upload .. so hopefully they would be included in the next AE version .. cz shintamatoo & old bgi characters are included, so why not. anyway that's a topic for another thread smile tongue

#70 07/29/12 06:07

s10k
Website

-Dunno why AE Installer didn't copied the bsl files, I needed to do it by myself

Guys forget this. Seems my bsl folder only had the script files and not the folder china with them, so probably the problem source was me and not the installer. smile

#71 07/29/12 21:07

EdT
Website

Anyone interested in improving these textures for the Old China level:

ChinaWall.jpg

ChinaWall2.jpg

#72 07/30/12 05:07

uroboros

I Found a little bit similar texture to the first one on cgtextures.com and I have just made it seamless
Not sure how it will look in game
LKeJT.png?1

Last edited by uroboros (07/30/12 06:07)

#73 07/30/12 10:07

EdT
Website

uroboros: Thank you!

Before:
ChinaWallBefore.jpg

After:
ChinaWallAfter.jpg

#74 07/30/12 22:07

Lukas Kreator