Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/02/12 20:04

kyletm57

....Toonami Back?

On April fools day 2012, cartoon network brought back Toonami for a day. There's a chance it might come back for good, as tons of fans are now petitioning and stuff for it, and they also showed an advertisement during the showing that hinted it's permanent return. So I'm wondering if anyone else cares as much as me about this, I had a lot of good memories with this programming block as a kid.

banner2440.jpg

#2 04/02/12 21:04

Iritscen

Re: ....Toonami Back?

Wow, I hadn't heard about this.  Even if I'd known, I don't have TV anymore (largely because CN canceled Toonami ^_^).  Although I wouldn't be able to watch it unless they streamed it too (maybe resurrect Jetstream/Reactor?), I would still be happy just knowing that CN could be attracting lots of newcomers to animé like they attracted me so many moons ago.  That was a valuable block of programming time in the history of entertainment.

Nowadays I have plenty of new animé at my fingertips thanks to Crunchyroll and others like FUNi, but just reading about the one-day comeback of Toonami makes me want to go re-watch all the shows they used to air.  Sigh, nostalgia!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/12/12 08:04

Vocaloawesome

i can't imagine it coming back full term, anime scene is nowhere as large as it used to be with pokemon and digimon in their prime, if anything it probably was a test to see how it went.

herp a derp

#4 04/13/12 16:04

kyletm57

@Vocaloawesome

Yah it didn't actually come back permanently, I waited until 12 midnight last Saturday to see if it aired a second time, but it was just a Toonami-less Bleach sad

banner2440.jpg

#5 05/17/12 17:05

Iritscen

http://adultswimcentral.com/2012/05/16/ … -may-26th/

Could it really be?!  Now I'm starting to want my cable service back....

#6 05/17/12 19:05

Lithium

Yup it's true

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#7 05/17/12 21:05

Iritscen

I'm just a little concerned as to whether it's going to just be Saturday nights or something (leading up to [as]?).  That would not be good.  It belongs on the airwaves on weekday afternoons where it can introduce animé to total newbies, like it did for me back in 1999/2000.

#8 05/18/12 16:05

Lithium

Nope gotta waste that time feeding shitty cartoons down children's throats. Can't possibly have that violent anime rotting our children's brains!

#9 05/18/12 17:05

Iritscen

Yeah, it sounds like it's just going to be a block on Adult Swim sad

#10 05/18/12 18:05

Lithium

Well it's a start!

#11 05/19/12 09:05

Stevinlewis

Why is the link so.... Adult-ish for a kid's programme? O:

#12 05/19/12 12:05

Iritscen

Not sure exactly what you mean, but if it explains anything, Adult Swim is a night-time block of programming on Cartoon Network that airs more mature animé.  And also, much less mature programming (intentionally stupid cartoons made on a low budget) that some kids/adults seem to like.

The Toonami block, which usually aired around 4-6pm on weekdays, used to be sort of kid-to-teen-oriented (more mature than standard CN shows), so they could get away with some violence, but had to make plenty of censorship edits too.  Adult Swim was able to show animé like Cowboy Bebop with fewer edits because "kids are in bed by then".

It seems to me CN is thinking of the new Toonami demographic as being older than the original demographic (that is, they seem to think it's just the same viewers who watched the block when it was on in the '90s/'00s), so maybe their overall approach is going to be more "adult-ish" this time around.  Airing Toonami as part of Adult Swim might mean that they won't have to make so many edits to their series.

#13 05/19/12 14:05

kyletm57

It's evident that they are targeting an older audience this time around, for example during the Mass Effect 3 review Tom used words such as "kick-ass". I'm pretty excited that it's even coming back at all, but it does suck that it won't have the large weeknight window I was accustomed to.

banner2440.jpg

Board footer