Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/31/07 21:12

geyser
Website

Seventh Anniversary Edition, Version Good Resolutions

New Year's Edition here. A bit late, but it's the intention that counts.

There are 3 versions as previously.

PC retail: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/20080101/wedition.zip
PC demo: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/20080101/weditiond.zip
Mac: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/20080101/xedition.zip

You don't have to reinstall the whole thing this time, since the only new stuff is a bunch of patches...
So just do the new_deal if you've been running Much Beta and haven't modded it too much yourself.

I didn't test the Mac installation.

The new features are as follows.

Generalized dash-hack. Maybe it'll be made redundant by the Daodan on PC. Oh well, it's all good.
Fixed the two instances of "Karen the Striker" in Chapter 13 (Ed, I used your file; yes, it works fine).
Modified the "modified Screamer" (the mode that shoots Mukade's ball) so that it uses a warhead wink
Provided specially designed menu backgrounds. Special thanks to fellows ZDLO and Dying Inside.

Last edited by geyser (12/31/07 21:12)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 12/31/07 21:12

EdT
Website

Re: Seventh Anniversary Edition, Version Good Resolutions

woot!  Thanks geyser!

#3 01/01/08 18:01

EdT
Website

Provided specially designed menu backgrounds. Special thanks to fellows ZDLO and Dying Inside.

Someone has a sense of humor smile

Dash-hack works, but still a backpedeling Konoko can stay ahead of dashing strikers.

#4 01/02/08 02:01

Your_Mom
Website

Nice...will test...

Tomorrow.

EDIT:
- The warhead helps alot tongue. I can actually hit who I intend to with that gun now big_smile
- Those backgrounds, etc are...amusing smile
- Dash Hack working perfectly. They run fast now.

Last edited by Your_Mom (01/02/08 13:01)

droid803sig.jpg

#5 01/03/08 10:01

Iritscen

Tested it out last night.

1. Knockback damage... well, I'm getting used to it.  If there's one thing I learned, it's: don't bumrush a guy who's near a wall and jumpkick him, he'll only stop against the wall and collide with you and knock you down.  Technically, this is only realistic, so I'm not so put off by this feature as I once was.

2. I tried to shower in some glass, and it barely registered as damage at all.  Have you altered the damage coefficient yet, and do you plan to?

3. I really like the Screamer-type cannon (do you have a name for it?).  It's a heck of a lot better than the actual Screamer, that's for sure.

4. Barabas's fighting has been improved, hasn't it?  It's pretty impressive.  Considering how big and clunky he is, it's a wonder he can stand a chance against Konoko in melee combat at all.

5. It's not possible to implement the ability to use carousel for everyone but Konoko, is it?  It seems like the game just slows itself down, because the frame rate even seems lower.  So in that case it wouldn't be possible.  Just throwing that out there.

6. Using the reservoirdogs code is now almost infinitely entertaining.  With the full moveset unlocked and improved melee AI, the AI characters really fight well.  it's incredibly fun to watch.  If Oni didn't spawn characters only when you approach each area, but spawned them all at the start of the level like some games, the code wouldn't even be much use because the fights would all have happened in the first couple minutes of the level and be done with by the time you made it there.  As it is, though, you can watch each area break into chaos as you enter it.  I was alternating between laughing my butt off and saying, "Whoa!"

7. This has nothing to do with the Edition, but you know what's really funny?  Turning on reservoirdogs and then watching the scene where Muro runs with his two men for the VTOL (the time when you're in that little box of a room that overlooks the VTOL towards the end).  Go ahead, try it.  I won't ruin the surprise.  Let's just say that someone forgot the script.

8. There's an odd glitch where a worker that is knocked down twitches on the ground, or freezes with an arm sticking up.  I took a screenshot, but I forgot to bring it with me to post.  It only seems to happen with workers, no other enemies.

9. I finally figured out the problem with shapeshifter.  It's been bugging me, but I don't think I ever posted about it.  While the Edition enables shapeshifting by simply typing killmequick, you can't go backwards with shift-F8, only forwards.  Holding down shift does nothing.  But if I then enable shapeshifter explicitly, I can use shift to back up with F8 and F7 too.  It's a serious handicap not being able to cycle backwards when you have so many character loaded.  I don't know if this can be fixed.

10. Something happened to OneMistake.  Barabas is invisible now.  Everything else happened as before.  It hardly matters since he just falls down anyway, but it's odd, because the camera goes towards him and there's a voice but no body.  It also seemed like the other guy who runs out with him is also gone, but that may have been my imagination.

11. Dash hack is interesting.  It makes the bad guys more menacing when they cover so much ground so quickly (when unarmed).  I was going to complain that Konoko always dashes, and therefore we never see her run animation (I like to be able to choose how fast my character moves in games, sometimes walking, sometimes running), but she runs at the original run speed (more or less) when she's armed, so technically it's still a speed that is in use.  I guess I like it.

12. Shinatama still doesn't fight.  It should be easy to carry over someone else's moveset to her, right?  I wouldn't use Konoko's, because it wouldn't make sense that a timid android could fight like that.  Something more middle-of-the-road in terms of skill, maybe.

Anyway, it's shaping up nicely!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#6 01/03/08 16:01

EdT
Website

9) That's strange, I can cycle forward and backwards the characters with killmequick or DevMode.  The same with the weapons. This is without using the shapeshifter cheat.

12) My Shinatama can fight!  I gave her Konoko's TRAC and melee profile.  Well remember Shinatama knows all about Konoko, so she could input Konoko's moves into her own fight algorithm.  That's my excuse anyways... smile

#7 01/03/08 20:01

ItemfinderDeluxe

@ Iritscen - That's an odd experience. Have you tried loading it from another save point, just to check if the main commguy still appears? Mind you, I can't confirm or deny anything you've stated, as I haven't tried out Edition yet. As it stands, I'm currently watching the cutscenes in Oni go 'tick-tock', and trying to figure what makes them go 'boom!'

However I have to ask. Edition globalises characters, yes? If so, what about dialog files?  If so, that would make cutscene work much more interesting.

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#8 01/04/08 07:01

HappyCat

I have an error message with installation. Something like
" 'xcopy' is not recognized as external or internal command or application."
Never saw this one using Version Much Beta.

*tried out*
All enemies from all levels have disappeared, all doors are locked.
Gonna try to install version much beta and update it.

p.s. Looks like it's something wrong with my OS.

Last edited by HappyCat (01/04/08 07:01)

#9 01/04/08 09:01

Iritscen

@ IfD: I think all text and SNDD files are also globalized, yes, so that should make all dialogue globally accessible.  AFAIK.

#10 01/04/08 17:01

Tracker

I installed the new_deal of the wediton and played it without any problems.

The knock back damage is a interesting feature.

You have increased the run speed of the models.
That makes the game a bit harder and more interesting.
You can get into unexpected situations, because the enemies are quicker after you.

The increased speed is also the reason, why some cutscenes are a bit out of control (in cutscenes models run faster, run against walls, fall away, etc.).
But this is only a visual fault, which doesn't influence the gameplay.
Nice new_deal. I like it! :-)

Last edited by Tracker (01/04/08 17:01)

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#11 01/04/08 18:01

Gumby

HappyCat wrote:

I have an error message with installation. Something like
" 'xcopy' is not recognized as external or internal command or application."
Never saw this one using Version Much Beta.

*tried out*
All enemies from all levels have disappeared, all doors are locked.
Gonna try to install version much beta and update it.

p.s. Looks like it's something wrong with my OS.

To me it sounds like your script folders have been corrupted...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#12 01/05/08 08:01

HappyCat

I solved the problem. Script folder was just empty since xcopy didn't work.

#13 01/05/08 09:01

markminiko

Bravo!!!
Thanks ~~

#14 01/06/08 09:01

paradox-01

Ideas for the next release (?)

I noticed that furys still can't pickup items in a slide. But it seems that andrashi already provided a solution.
This and other stuff can be (re)found here:
   discussion (second and third post)
   video

What do you think?

Last edited by paradox-01 (01/06/08 09:01)

#15 01/06/08 15:01

Loser

Ideas for the next release

Working on it, it is 90% finished. Download changelog in the attachment and have a look what is changed so far.

But it seems that andrashi already provided a solution

LOSER, man. It is LOSER ^_^

P.S.: that changelog is originally meant for geyser. He always complains I am not fully covering my experiments, so I want him to have something to read before bed ^_^'.

Last edited by Loser (01/06/08 15:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#16 01/06/08 16:01

geyser
Website

So, two weeks left, more or less. And since I won't be available much these days that means the Anniversary will be so-so sad
I will probably make a release with a few new characters, and an attempt to SVNize the thing, but alas, nothing level-specific.
I think it's OK though, since no one said Konoko's Chrysalis was implanted at 7 years exactly... The Edition is a framework.
And, again by analogy with Konoko's Chrysalis, to develop the full potential of that framework could take quite some time...

"Ideas for the next release (?)" Defnitely provide ideas, guys. Definite ones (like Loser's changelogs) are especially welcome.
Like I said on the old forums, there are a lot of combos that need more or less minor fixes. Please point those out to me/us.

"The increased speed is also the reason why some cutscenes are a bit out of control" Indeed. We'll fix that later somehow.
What I find a bit more annoying is that we no longer can jump forward "not too fast", which may be needed sometimes...
I still hope the Daodan DLL will allow us to make the AI dash while leaving dashing optional for the player. We shall see...

"I think all text and SNDD files are also globalized, yes, so that should make all dialogue globally accessible.  AFAIK."
We globalize all SNDD, indeed, so you can use any characters and any cutscene talk in any level now. Enjoy smile
We also globalized almost all the textures and the particle meshes, but that makes no difference to scripters.
Note that if you set off to rescript original missions, you'll probably want to edit level-specific BINA. Just do it.

@Iritscen, point by point:
1. It's as you say: if you smash cornered enemies you get hit by the recoil, etc. A more annoying feature is when you kick an AI that turns its back to you, and then for some reason he falls backwards and onto you. It's a glitch of course, but now it not only looks weird, but hurts you as well. We ought to fix that, but it has to do with the animation lookup, not with the splash damage.

2. The glass damage is more of an Easter egg now, indeed. I can beef it up very easily, but I keep forgetting about it.

3. The Screamer copy is supposed to be a weapon available in single-player. You can call it Striker Screamer, I guess.
It comes from the assumption that Devilstars are a species of Screamers, loaded into those guns by Mukade himself smile

4. "Barabas's fighting has been improved, hasn't it?  It's pretty impressive." Huh? No. Later, maybe, but... not yet.

5. "It's not possible to implement the ability to use carousel for everyone but Konoko, is it?" Not sure what you mean.
You mean the world around Konoko would freeze or slow down while she would move at normal speed? No can do smile
You can make the game run 2 or 3 times faster, though. Or slow down automatically when the frame rate drops...
Erm, wait. On the Mac, you can't: draw_every_frame and draw_every_frame_multiple are PC-exclusive variables.

6. "Using the reservoirdogs code is now almost infinitely entertaining." Erm, feel free to entertain us, dude smile
"With the full moveset unlocked and improved melee AI, the AI characters really fight well." Improved melee?
The Edition doesn't improve melee (yet). It unlocks Konoko's combos and allows the AI to dash, that's all so far.

7. "This has nothing to do with the Edition, but you know what's really funny?" Ha. Ha. Ha. smile

8. "There's an odd glitch where a worker that is knocked down twitches on the ground" It's always been there.
Not sure it only happens with "thugs". If that's true, it's almost certainly fixable (with low priority though) tongue

9. "you can't go backwards with shift-F8, only forwards." Hm. We didn't fix the Shift key issue, did we, Ed?

10. "Something happened to OneMistake.  Barabas is invisible now." Wouldn't know how it looks or what it means.

11. "Dash hack is interesting.  It makes the bad guys more menacing" Oh yeah. That's already something smile

12. "Shinatama still doesn't fight." OK, I'll make her fight like a Fury. And the female scientists - like Konoko.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#17 01/06/08 16:01

paradox-01

@ Loser: I've always a problem to type your .. ahm, first .. nickname.  Wanted to make it better this time. But it seems that you really insist on it. Okay, I will respect this. roll
PS: thanks again that your released your stuff

Last edited by paradox-01 (01/06/08 16:01)

#18 01/06/08 17:01

geyser
Website

Oh, and in case no one noticed, Karen the Striker wasn't actually fixed in the PC version.
Silly typo in step0004.bat (level8_Final instead of level18_Final), just fix it yourselves tongue

Last edited by geyser (01/06/08 17:01)

#19 01/06/08 19:01

EdT
Website

geyser: no need to rush, take your time, we've waited all this time for an official release of Oni2, so we can wait for the Anniversary Edition.

9. "you can't go backwards with shift-F8, only forwards." Hm. We didn't fix the Shift key issue, did we, Ed?

The SHIFT key works for me when using F7 and F8, so I can go forward and backwards.

The SHIFT key doesn't work when entering commands in the console.  Its a minor annoyance for me, not a major issue.

I'm hoping the dev team can find a way to add a few more script commands to the Mac version, so we can play all the cool scripts being written.

#20 01/07/08 11:01

Iritscen

1. A more annoying feature is when you kick an AI that turns its back to you, and then for some reason he falls backwards and onto you.

Yeah, that's an original Oni bug, right?

2. The glass damage is more of an Easter egg now, indeed. I can beef it up very easily, but I keep forgetting about it.

Just do it smile

4. "Barabas's fighting has been improved, hasn't it?  It's pretty impressive." Huh? No. Later, maybe, but... not yet.

Huh?  I thought he was fighting better.  One thing he was doing differently was not firing the gun at me as I charged him, but waiting for me to get close and then whacking me with the WMC in the face.  I thought that was new, but I guess my inexperience with the original game is showing.  I've only played through that part like 15 times. wink

Re: 5. Yeah, that's what I meant; well, I didn't think it was possible, I just had to ask.

6. Improved melee?  The Edition doesn't improve melee (yet). It unlocks Konoko's combos and allows the AI to dash, that's all so far.

Uh... the AI has all of its moves unlocked now... I'm sure of that much.  So, if the actual AI is not different, it can use more moves now, which makes the melee fighting better.

Check out this reservoirdogs-induced fight (ai2_ignoreplayer helps, too :-):
http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/ReservoirDogs1.png
http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/ReservoirDogs2.png
http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/ReservoirDogs3.png
http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/ReservoirDogs4.png

That move in shot 4 with the backward elbow is new, isn't it?  Newly accessible to the AI, anyway?

7. Ha. Ha. Ha. smile

Sarcastic?  I can't tell.  I was amused to see Muro's thugs chasing and shooting him, though.  They're still trying to get to their destination, too, they just really hate each other now.

8. It's always been there.  Not sure it only happens with "thugs".

In my experience, it's always the low-level worker dudes, not the Strikers, Furies, etc.

Like this: http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/StuckWorker2.png

The guy above mutant Muro's right knee is twitching in place.  That's an original Oni bug?

9. Hmm, Shift key worked the other day without shapeshifter, so nevermind on this one, at least for now.  Maybe I was hallucinating.

12. "Shinatama still doesn't fight." OK, I'll make her fight like a Fury. And the female scientists - like Konoko.

Um, you can do that if you want, but I thought Shinatama should just have basic melee moves a la the male scientists.  And the female scientists shouldn't be better fighters than the males.  Their fighting skills should be in line with their personalities (Shinny is timid, not aggressive, and scientists are, well, nerds).  I kind of wonder if you're joking here and I'm taking you too seriously.

On a separate note, can you add EdT's glass hack into the Edition?  I know it's a poor man's hack, whatever that means, but I still like it.

Check out this ownage: http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/Tha … Served.png

It looked as if the defeated Fury's head shattered the glass, which was unbelievably awesome, but it was probably the other Fury's foot as it propelled her head forward.  Still awesome, though.

Also, but not for kids: http://iritscen.oni2.net/forum/2008/ForbiddenLove.png  Don't judge them, it's true love.  Opposites attract.  Sadly, they were both gunned down mid-coitus by a Striker moments later.

Last edited by Iritscen (07/20/17 09:07)

#21 01/07/08 14:01

geyser
Website

1) Yes, it happens in the original game, but without damage it's not so frustrating.
I don't know if it happens only for males, or maybe only for thugs. Will check.

2) Hm... I can't guarantee I won't forget that again in the next release. Same for explosive dust.

4) Barabas has a complex combat behaviour, which includes switching to melee at close range.

6) The only moves that used to be locked are the ones you learn as Konoko. Nothing else.

7) smile

8) You're probably right. Please check if other comguy variants are ever affected.
It has to do with wrong aiming screens specified for the lying anims. We'll fix it smile

12) I'm serious about Fury animations for Shinatama and Konoko's for scientesses.
Scientesses are usually non-combatant anyway, and Shinny is cutscene-only, so...

#22 01/07/08 14:01

Iritscen

geyser wrote:

1) Yes, it happens in the original game, but without damage it's not so frustrating.
I don't know if it happens only for males, or maybe only for thugs. Will check.

2) Hm... I can't guarantee I won't forget that again in the next release. Same for explosive dust.

6) The only moves that used to be locked are the ones you learn as Konoko. Nothing else.

8) You're probably right. Please check if other comguy variants are ever affected.
It has to do with wrong aiming screens specified for the lying anims. We'll fix it smile

12) I'm serious about Fury animations for Shinatama and Konoko's for scientesses.
Scientesses are usually non-combatant anyway, and Shinny is cutscene-only, so...

1. I only recall seeing it with Strikers and Tankers, but it could be that I have never attacked, say, a Ninja from behind so I never had the opportunity to notice.

2. Just do it right now and you can't possibly forget smile

6. I don't think we're on the same page; I meant that the AI for Strikers et al. are improved, at least because they have all their moves unlocked.  Did you or did you not unlock moves that formerly were only seen when you shapeshifted to them?  Not talking about Konoko at all.

8. Pretty sure it's construction type guys that have the problem, I will try to test tonight.

12. Okay, I withdraw my argument, I can't resist the thought of hurling people over my shoulder with Shinny.  By the way, I enjoyed the addition of the Ninjabot.  I used him to beat the pants off of Muro the other day in Dream Diver.  Muro's hard to beat with pretty much any character other than Konoko, but I guess the Ninja moveset has what it takes.  Oddly enough, I couldn't even beat him with Mukade.

Last edited by Iritscen (01/07/08 14:01)

#23 01/07/08 15:01

EdT
Website

Iritscen:  You know you can add the glass hack yourself.  Just put that file in the level0 folder created with Edition and then just compile that level.

I made this Tool for myself, it has options to compile level 0, level 1, big_zeal.  Its very helpful as I'm trying out hacks with the .oni files, I don't have to use the terminal each time.

Just put it in the Oni Folder.

#24 01/07/08 16:01

Iritscen

@ EdT: I did add the glass hack, I just wanted everyone to benefit from it automatically when installing the Edition.  That's how I took the picture where the Fury's head gets smashed through a window by a kick (she didn't get up again).  If only I could have recorded video of that.

Thanks for the Tool, will try.

#25 01/07/08 16:01

EdT
Website

lol. I guess I should have looked at the screenshots.

Board footer