Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 12/31/07 09:12

geyser
Website

Re: Oni on time

"I have already improved several of your levels. Are you prepared to defend your title?"
Tracker's goal was to beat the 2-hour limit, but I'm sure there will be people willing to pick up the challenge.
However, with the Edition in active development, it's increasingly important to specify what your version is...
For instance, in the next release of the Edition (guess when), all AI will be able to dash, which changes a lot.

Last edited by geyser (12/31/07 09:12)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#27 12/31/07 09:12

Iritscen

Is there an easy way to get a sort of version number for the current installed Edition in our copy of Oni?  Assuming we don't remember what version we installed last.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 12/31/07 10:12

geyser
Website

I haven't adopted a consistent numbering yet, and I may forget to edit the readme when releasing a major update.
In the near future (i.e., in time for the actual Anniversary), I hope to SVN-ize the thing, so it should become tidier.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#29 12/31/07 15:12

NMS
Website

My version says 1.0, but it's actually an Intel compatible Mac OS X version. As far as I can tell, it plays just like the original OS 9 version. Are there any significant differences between the various unmodded versions?

#30 12/31/07 18:12

EdT
Website

NMS: The above posts are referring to the 7th anniversary project.  So far, the project has given us the ability to shapeshift into any of the characters on any level, a few new weapons have been made, and a few other features.  Currently it is in the Very Much Beta stage, even at this stage there has been some revisions, thus the questions about the version number.

Regarding the Oni app itself, there are a couple versions out there.  The latest one is called simply OniX:
http://edt.oni2.net/files/OniX.zip

It fixed the console and a sound issue.

#31 12/31/07 20:12

NMS
Website

Ah, yes. That is the version I am using. The old OS X port crashed on startup on my intel mac and my older computers don't have enough spare processor power for Snapz Pro.

Also, could anyone suggest a good free webhost for me to put sample videos on?

#32 12/31/07 21:12

EdT
Website

NMS:
http://www.youtube.com/group/onitoo

By the way do you have any programming skills? xcode, applescript?

Last edited by EdT (12/31/07 21:12)

#33 01/01/08 13:01

NMS
Website

Well, I guess I could use iMovie to cut them down to YouTube size, but I was hoping to post the high quality versions. Maybe speeddemosarchive.com would take them.

I havn't really used xcode or applescript much, but I know some java and lisp. Why?

#34 01/01/08 17:01

EdT
Website

NMS: Just wondering, there are some PC only tools, that I wish were available for the Mac.
Speaking of java, have you seen this:
http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:OME

#35 01/02/08 11:01

Iritscen

...I use Xcode all the time.  And AppleScript.

#36 01/02/08 11:01

EdT
Website

Iritscen:  That's awesome!!!  Perhaps you can help.
I have an idea to create a simple application with Xcode to run the various scripts for Edition.  This will make it easier for Mac users to use Edition without the terminal.

All you would need is buttons for big_deal, big_zeal and new_deal.  Maybe a progress bar or text window which shows what's going on, like the terminal.   The program would stay inside the Oni folder but separate from the Edition folder, so when there are new versions of Edition, the application would not need to be changed or moved.

Is that something you could do?  Or at least assist me with it.  I don't know Xcode, very little Applescript, so I am trying to learn both, using online tutorials.

So far I figured out I can use the command "do shell script" with Applescript.
I made a test app to recombine the level0 files.  The script looks like this:

on clicked theObject
    if name of theObject = "lev0" then    
        do shell script "cd /Users/edt/Applications/Oni/edition/install/; mono OniSplit.exe -import:sep ../../GameDataFolder/level0_Final ../../GameDataFolder/level0_Final.dat"
    end if
end clicked

But that will only work for me, since the cd path is absolute.  I can't figure out how to make it relative. Any ideas?

#37 01/02/08 11:01

Iritscen

Getting around not knowing the user's name is easy; that's why Unix guys developed the ~ shortcut in the first place, so scripts wouldn't need to know that.  You use the "cd ~/[whatever]" command first, followed by commands that can operate on a relative basis from there, as you did.

The trick is to know where the edition is.  I will do a little research; if the Anniversary Edition Installer (or whatever you call this) knows where it itself is, and it can assume that the edition is in some fixed place relative to its location, then it's simple.  The question is, how do you get the location of the currently running app?  I will look into that.  It might actually be easier to put up an open dialog and say, "Find the edition folder."

#38 01/02/08 12:01

EdT
Website

Iritscen: Cool, thanks for your help.
The "Edition" folder is always in the same location relative to the GameDataFolder.  So if AEI (Anniversary Edition Installer) is placed inside the Oni folder (same location as the GameDataFolder and Edition folder), that should simplify things.

EDIT
Before we get yelled at for going off topic on this thread smile, let's move this discussion to the new Mac programming thread:
http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 4052#p4052

Last edited by EdT (01/02/08 12:01)

#39 01/02/08 12:01

Iritscen

Whoops.  See that thread for my reply.

Last edited by Iritscen (01/02/08 12:01)

#40 01/02/08 18:01

NMS
Website

My run of level 3 is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG91r_r1_OQ
I'm not sure what happened to the first few seconds - it didn't look that way before I uploaded it.

edit: High quality version now also available on filefront: http://hosted.filefront.com/NMS127
I probably won't put any more on YouTube since it's lower quality and more work.

Last edited by NMS (01/02/08 19:01)

#41 01/03/08 10:01

Iritscen

Nice job.  It would be hard to beat that aside from avoiding a couple minor entanglements that tripped you up for a second here or there.  I certainly can't think of any way to improve the technique of the run.

Most of us would prefer that you still upload to YouTube, its crappy video quality notwithstanding.  It's how everyone shares video these days, assuming it's not something where quality is the priority.  Why is it more work?

#42 01/03/08 13:01

NMS
Website

Just did a really awsome run of level 9. I cut Tracker's time in half. It's on FileFront (see my website link.)

I don't like using YouTube because I have to import the Quicktime movie into iMovie, export it as an mp4 with appropriate size and data rate and then upload it. All 3 steps take a long time and degrade the quality. Filefront is convenient and can stream the movies or let you download the original.

Last edited by NMS (01/03/08 13:01)

#43 01/03/08 14:01

Iritscen

I don't remember having to do that for my uploads to YT; I did have to set QT Player exporting to bring down the size, but it was a BG task that I just left going.

Well, since FileFront does streaming, it's not a big deal.  Never mind.  And, nice work.  Awesome parkouring there to get up to the top so fast.

#44 01/03/08 14:01

NMS
Website

I don't have Quicktime Pro, so I can't use it to export.

Also, I decided to post my best runs of levels 1, 2, and 4. I may try to improve them later, but they're pretty good. Level 1 is up, 2 is uploading.

#45 01/03/08 15:01

Iritscen

I do miss the days of free QuickTime Pro.  You'd have to go back to 2.0, if memory serves, to get the editing/exporting for free.  Viva la 1993.  Oh well.  Still, anything you can do to bypass iMovie and its stupid importing nonsense is worth it.  Just a recommendation from one Mac user to another.

#46 01/03/08 15:01

EdT
Website

NMS: Try iSquint http://www.isquint.org/  You can even batch process the videos. 

The one advantage of YT is exposure.  More people can discover the things we are doing with Oni, that's the purpose of the Oni group on YT. So even though YT is lower quality, I hope you continue to post them to YT.

I think you've gotten Tracker nervous, since you are breaking his speed records smile

#47 01/03/08 20:01

Tracker

@Edt:
I don't get nervous.
On the contrary, I am pleased, if somebody finds new ways to improve my times.

@NMS:
Some runs and particularly some jumps are impressive.
But I also find, you should upload your movies to the onitoo group at YouTube.
Although the quality of your mov files is pretty good, but the files are also very big, what has long download times in consequence.
It is the advantage of the onitoo group at YouTube, your movies will be found easier and that you get comments of people who like your movies.
Let us see more to find out which improvements in the times are still possible. smile

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#48 01/06/08 17:01

geyser
Website

"More people can discover the things we are doing with Oni, that's the purpose of the Oni group on YT."
Hm, that reminds me someone ought to do some PR on the Myth/Lugaru/Bungie forums Soon(TM) smile

#49 01/16/08 17:01

NMS
Website

Hey, I'm back with runs of levels 5 and 10 and a new, faster run of level 3. I used high quality, so they should look nice if you download them.

Also, I've found that the mouse sometimes locks up on Dream Diver when I play on an Intel Mac. I can still move using the keyboard, but I can't turn for up to a few seconds. Does anyone know what causes this problem or how to solve it? I don't really want to watch that beginning cutscene more times than necessary.

#50 01/16/08 17:01

Ultimatum479

geyser wrote:

"Hm, that reminds me someone ought to do some PR on the Myth/Lugaru/Bungie forums Soon(TM) smile

You already got me from Lugaru wink

Work in progress...

Board footer