Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#251 02/24/12 21:02

Mukade

Re: Oni Roleplay: Rules/discussion [MUST READ FIRST]

I was gonna say pretty much the exact same thing x)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#252 02/24/12 23:02

kyletm57

You know, I've been reading the posts, and I've noticed how severely under-powered the TCTF troops are when faced with Syndicate opposition. Remember, this is an important TCTF facility that's being infiltrated, the people assigned to this location should at least be putting up a half decent fight, not getting their face smashed in by every enemy that comes their way without even connecting a hit.

banner2440.jpg

#253 02/24/12 23:02

Valkyrur

kyletm57 wrote:

You know, I've been reading the posts, and I've noticed how severely under-powered the TCTF troops are when faced with Syndicate opposition. Remember, this is an important TCTF facility that's being infiltrated, the people assigned to this location should at least be putting up a half decent fight, not getting their face smashed in by every enemy that comes their way without even connecting a hit.

Even in game they are severely underpowered

But the tables should turn when the helos land right?

Oh and I hear you're -snip- Kyle.

Last edited by Valkyrur (02/25/12 00:02)

SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

#254 02/25/12 00:02

kyletm57

@Certified:

Awkward comment is awkward

banner2440.jpg

#255 02/25/12 00:02

Mukade

Yeah, for example when the officer shoots Andrew, and the bullets bounce off"like small pebbles" that just seemed irrealistic. I can believe them bouncing off, but the sheer momentum would at least slow him down, or stagger him a bit.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#256 02/25/12 09:02

Striker

Mukade wrote:

Yeah, for example when the officer shoots Andrew, and the bullets bounce off"like small pebbles" that just seemed irrealistic. I can believe them bouncing off, but the sheer momentum would at least slow him down, or stagger him a bit.

Take note: Andrew is a Titan class Elite Striker, and he was trained under the command of Barabas. It would make sense if his armour can absorb more shock, in turn staggering him less. Remember that since he's an Elite, his armour must weigh a lot, so his momentum would make him stagger less when hit. You also have to remember that he is only assigned on top-security missions, and usually only patrols the Syndicate HQ entrance with his friend Nikita deep in the Wilderness Preserve (both Nikita and Andrew have high-quality chrysalis; Jeff does not have any, thus he is not as effective as a brute). I only put such powerful troops at the entrance of the Syndicate HQ because I don't want anyone entering it without permission (once again, a delicate location), and in turn do not touch the TCTF HQ for the same reason. I do agree that the way I wrote it made him seem invulnerable, though, and I will fix it.

Regarding Damion: If I wasn't successful at explaining and demonstrating Damion's fighting style and technique through my roleplay text, I will explain it in more detail now: He inherits the style/etiquette from both Mukade and Muro (although he had only practices fighting with Muro before), but his actual moves are a mixture of Mukade's, Muro's and furies', with an added touch of his unique way of performing them. Although he is deadly at hand-to-hand combat and trained on all kinds of weapons, he will often attempt to avoid combat altogether. He's not invincible, but he is nonetheless very difficult to kill (remember, TCTF has Mai and possibly a few other chrysalis symbiotes, who could potentially bring the Syndicate/TCTF leaders at an almost equal level.

Another thing: The troops fought were regular TCTF troops, meaning that they were easy-to-kill. Since this is a very sensitive part of the story, I tried to avoid actual combat (rolling, possibly losing enough AP to fall unconscious). This raid is very delicate and could not mess up, or else the whole story could potentially fall apart, leaving the stolen warehouse crate unexplained. Since it is just as much of a fragile part as Certified's 'Yukie' part, I attempted to leave that alone as well. We don't want to have to fight and mess up each others' stories. This was technically more of a GM part, but since Jeff played a decent role in it, I couldn't pass up the chance to make him do something impressive and in turn lose some AP.

Question for everyone: Who do you think would win in a head-to-head fight, no weapons allowed: Naomi or Mai? Personally, I think they would be close during combat, but in the end Naomi would be victorious.

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#257 02/25/12 11:02

kyletm57

@Striker:

Hmmm that's a tough one. I guess it really depends on Naomi's chrysalis effectiveness, because as seen in the end of Oni, Mai literally exploded with power.

banner2440.jpg

#258 02/25/12 20:02

TheCreature

Attention:  Remember to roll for combat, people.  I've seen a couple too many fights go down now with no vulnerability.  This isn't supposed to be a bunch of super humans beating down on the mortals.  This is a story, with normal people fighting each other.  There should be an element of risk WHENEVER combat is involved.  And yes, this includes when you're sniping people; you could miss or he could dodge.

So yeah, let's see some rolls there.  I'd like to be able to GM through things, but I can't really do that if y'all are killing NPC's as fast as you see them.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#259 02/26/12 00:02

Mukade

Hmm, well I've seen alot of combats, but also, a lot of those took place with between NPCs, like Damion and the Black Ops, or Andrew and the officers at the front desk or w/e.

#260 02/26/12 09:02

Striker

To TheCreature: You also have to take in consideration that these missions (both Yukie's and Muro's retrieval) are very crucial to the story of our characters, thus very delicate. We need to make sure that the characters don't die/fall unconscious within a facility which will soon be swarmed with a lot of TCTF forces. I think we should make an exception to the rules of fighting for this little fragile bit (until the specimens are both safely retrieved) for the sake of keeping the stories going. As soon as it is over, we could get back to regular fighting with rolls. What do you say?

Last edited by Striker (02/29/12 18:02)

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#261 02/26/12 13:02

TheCreature

We have a stopgap in place to make sure that major NPC's don't die.  They simply... don't die/fall unconscious when they lose.  That doesn't mean they can't fail at their objective though.  Naomi getting Muro's body from Cryo isn't the story, it's a piece of the story; she can try again or go a different route next time.  The story isn't supposed to be set in stone, it's supposed to be flexible around the evolving situation of the game.

The fact that these missions are so crucial makes me want the rolls all the more, honestly.  Otherwise it's too easy.  If you hinge your entire plot on one thing, expect there to be some risk.  It's not just going to be handed to you on a silver platter.  This is what makes it a game, the element of risk. 

For a large portion of this RP, there's no risk involved.  The combat rolls are the one risk, and it would take a severe beating for you to even fall unconscious, let alone die.

So, when players are involved, let's see some combat rolls.  Get the risk back in the mix.

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#262 02/26/12 21:02

Striker

To TheCreature: Fair enough, you do have more experience with this after all. I will start rolling the dice more now.

Last edited by Striker (02/26/12 21:02)

#263 02/29/12 00:02

Mukade

So I'm waiting for Striker to post to catch up to my time so I know where he is and can then find him... hmm

#264 02/29/12 08:02

Striker

Mukade wrote:

So I'm waiting for Striker to post to catch up to my time so I know where he is and can then find him... hmm

I don't think that finding Damion would be the option for you; both Damion's squad and Jan's squad are in the same room. Damion is 'packing up', however, so I guess you might catch him leaving; but it would be difficult.

Last edited by Striker (02/29/12 08:02)

#265 02/29/12 15:02

kyletm57

Well i think I've delayed the backup showing up for long enough now, so expect a decent amount of combat soon. Also, I was planning on having the Syndicate troops standing guard outside get killed by the minigun mounted on the side of the chopper. Considering that the ground troops are probably not packing anything powerful enough to take down a fully armored attack helicopter, is a roll really necessary?

banner2440.jpg

#266 02/29/12 16:02

TheCreature

Gunship vs. Two guys at door = Eh.  What's two NPC's anyways?  Go ahead and wipe them out.

OR

Gunship vs. Squad of guys placed tactically = Roll for it.  They might radio in help, or have bigger weapons.

Really NPC vs. NPC isn't that big of an issue.  We've got X amount of NPC's to throw, so they're expendable.  It's when your character is involved that I am a stickler.  So unless Jin is flying the gunship or manning the gun, it's no biggie.

#267 02/29/12 16:02

Striker

kyletm57 wrote:

Well i think I've delayed the backup showing up for long enough now, so expect a decent amount of combat soon. Also, I was planning on having the Syndicate troops standing guard outside get killed by the minigun mounted on the side of the chopper. Considering that the ground troops are probably not packing anything powerful enough to take down a fully armored attack helicopter, is a roll really necessary?

The thing I don't like is the misconception that there were a lot of Syndicate troops at the mission. Think about it - 5 vans, 1 of them armoured (the same vans that are used in the game). A single van would only fit 3-4 people (not including the non-combatant drivers). The armoured van cannot have any troops in the back (reserved for the specimen), so there are only 4 troop vans. 1 squad of Grunt strikers went to patrol the back of the facility, and Damion's squad went inside. Also, a ninja squad went in before everyone else to disable the security. This would only leave 1 more squad guarding the vans and the facility entrance (not including the van drivers). I don't know why people thought that the facility was infested with Syndicate troops...

Anyway, I don't think there should be a "fully armored attack helicopter" the way you describe it, because it would simply mow all of the Syndicate troops down. I am not against battle or even losing many troops in the process, I just don't want the simple "the helicoper comes in and everyone died" type of thing.

#268 02/29/12 17:02

kyletm57

Not a problem, I'll make it a standard transport helicopter and replace the minigun with a few troops holding light machine guns. I think in this case a roll would be necessary, depending on the size of the Syndicate squad. I'm assuming four soldiers, but I also don't know how well equipped they are. Sorry to ask, but could you please clarify this Striker?

banner2440.jpg

#269 02/29/12 17:02

Valkyrur

kyletm57 wrote:

Not a problem, I'll make it a standard transport helicopter and replace the minigun with a few troops holding light machine guns. I think in this case a roll would be necessary, depending on the size of the Syndicate squad. I'm assuming four soldiers, but I also don't know how well equipped they are. Sorry to ask, but could you please clarify this Striker?

Cool...

...Now to make an LMG that would fit into Oni...

#270 02/29/12 19:02

Striker

kyletm57 wrote:

Alright, allow me to fully explain how I see the Syndicate ranks (this will answer your question):
When recruited, most start off at the lowest possible level of the class they 'applied' to. They pass basic training if they are strikers and advanced training if they are furies, ninjas, etcetera. The ranks increase from green to blue to red.

There is, however, one exception: selected recruits (the ones willing to completely dedicate their lives to the Syndicate, as well as have some credibility) have reserved space within the Syndicate HQ, and are provided with free basic services (food, shelter, clothing), as well as selected luxuries (gym, fighting area, shooting range, access to high-quality chrysalis) depending on their rank and/or credibility. Andrew, having strong ties with the Syndicate through his friend Nikita, earned one of the reserved spaces. His brother, Jeff, technically 'inherited' these services (he is trusted because of his brother). These troops are usually more powerful than regular troops, due to the fact that they live to serve the Syndicate (thus get a serious amount of training). These troops only get sent on high-priority missions.

The troops that came along on this mission were the 'hand-picked' recruits. It is only reasonable to think that they are more powerful than regular troops of the same class. Don't treat them like they're invincible, but do treat them like they are more trained. Jeff isn't much stronger than a regular Hoplite striker, but he does have just a little bit more skill. Remember that there are still ninjas in the security control room, and that there are highly trained furies guarding Damion. The troops outside, however, shouldn't be killed off too easily. They would put up a decent fight; but I wouldn't say they would win it alone.

Unrelated: How I imagined it is that every RP character is equal in general, but has certain skills which they can use to their advantage (for example, Jeff is a hardware technician, thus, he can to repair a broken computer much faster than Jan, for example. Jan, however, is a hacker, so he is able to tamper with the software more efficiently than Jeff. This, I believe, evens them out, but gives each character a unique characteristic/skill).

Last edited by Striker (02/29/12 19:02)

#271 02/29/12 22:02

Mukade

@striker.  I feel like your last post would fit better as a GM post. You didnt really control your character there, and didnt do anything with him worth an AP point. Also, you did control Jan to a certain extent. I would suggest simply removing the AP references and label it GM.
Also, it does seem you're right about catching Damion. It seems that I took off in the opposite direction,  as Damion was arriving at the place I just left. I'll have to give it thought, and post tomorrow. I'm thinking the helicopter might delay you enough for me to find you, although, trying to get myself "recruited" in the middle of a firefight seems like a good way to get myself shot by the person I'm trying to appeal to wink
Gonna sleep on this one, lol.

Last edited by Mukade (02/29/12 22:02)

#272 03/02/12 15:03

Striker

To kyletm57: Are you going to post how the TCTF reinforcements arrive, or should I make a post how the Syndicate escapes?

#273 03/02/12 22:03

kyletm57

Striker wrote:

To kyletm57: Are you going to post how the TCTF reinforcements arrive, or should I make a post how the Syndicate escapes?

Sorry for the delay, I've been pretty busy recently. I'll make a post beginning the TCTF attack.

banner2440.jpg

#274 03/03/12 00:03

Mukade

Is both Jeff and Jan heading towards the Motor Pool? If so, I want to run something by you for my next post. I'm considering making for the motor pool when I hear the choppers pass overhead, figuring that that would be the cue for everyone to be getting out. Now, I'm trying to catch both Jan, and if possible, trying to catch up with Damion before he leaves. I would like to roll at the end of my next post, and have Certified and Striker roll against me. If I roll higher than either one, it means I beat them there, lower means they leave before I can get there. So I might catch up with both, one, or neither. Thoughts?

#275 03/03/12 00:03

Valkyrur

Mukade wrote:

Is both Jeff and Jan heading towards the Motor Pool? If so, I want to run something by you for my next post. I'm considering making for the motor pool when I hear the choppers pass overhead, figuring that that would be the cue for everyone to be getting out. Now, I'm trying to catch both Jan, and if possible, trying to catch up with Damion before he leaves. I would like to roll at the end of my next post, and have Certified and Striker roll against me. If I roll higher than either one, it means I beat them there, lower means they leave before I can get there. So I might catch up with both, one, or neither. Thoughts?

No, Jeff is going out the front door where they parked the jeeps

The motor pool is a basement level with the TCTF's vehicles, leading out into a tunnel that goes out for another block to the surface (Still in the same cell, but on another nearby street, not immediately visible from the Science Prison)

Board footer