Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 12/26/07 04:12

geyser
Website

Re: Seventh Anniversary Edition, Version Much Beta

"and why is the original WMC and SBG still there when improved versions exist?" because we can and because we want to be able to choose. You wouldn't want to be able to holster Barabas's gun in single-player, would you?
"I meant it shouldn't have a tunnel unless the cannon flies straight and does not home in" The original Screaming Cell is homing, too, but the Screamer has a tunnel. Guess why? The homing projectile flies straight when there's no one to home in on.
"EDIT: Ah...you're new char is an exact copy of TCTF_lite_1...you could have at least given him a unique moveset or particle/impact arrays..." F##k. NO. I don't have time to f##k around. If you suggest a moveset, I might give it a try smile
"glass does not hurt. I've purposely had myself get shards rained on myself and no pain. No damage. The *oni file is missing the parts outlined to make damage glass on OniGalore" Try again, and please please please let me have the .oni file.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#27 12/26/07 05:12

Tracker

@EdT
You mean the effect which Loser has shown in his interesting Manplant_messing.wmv on April 20th, 2007.
The download link doesn't work any more but I remember.
Good work! smile

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#28 12/26/07 10:12

Iritscen

Well, I did exactly what you recommended, geyser, replacing one edition with another right inside Oni's folder.  I will try again tonight with the version I d/led yesterday.

P.S.: Fighting in the dark is incredibly eerie in the beginning of Chapter 3, because there's faint light shining in from outside through the lobby windows and you can see everyone's silhouettes against it.  Pretty bizarre.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#29 12/26/07 11:12

EdT
Website

I added Muro, Barabas, NinjaZip and EvilKonoko to level 1.

Here is the .oni file. Hopefully, it will work on a PC.
http://edt.oni2.net/OniSplit/BINACJBOCharacter.oni

Have fun.

Regarding the glass hurt. On the TCTF2 level, I shot at the glass roof and when the shards fell down, I did receive damage.  As geyser stated it seemed to be random.  Sometimes damage, other times not.

#30 12/26/07 13:12

Iritscen

EdT wrote:

Regarding the glass hurt. On the TCTF2 level, I shot at the glass roof and when the shards fell down, I did receive damage.  As geyser stated it seemed to be random.  Sometimes damage, other times not.

Now we know why it's not enabled in the game!  I'm surprised, though, b/c the demoes I saw on YouTube seemed to be pretty consistent in dealing some level of damage to the shardee (= recipient of shards).

It would be cool to have a fighting-in-the-dark scenario for Oni, but it was a little too hard to see.  I don't think gunshots even cast light.  So if there's no window in front of you, you can't tell what's going on.  If only the characters made noise (in stereo) when they walked, you'd actually have a chance of winning such a fight, Zatoichi-style.

#31 12/26/07 13:12

Your_Mom
Website

"You wouldn't want to be able to holster Barabas's gun in single-player, would you?"
I wouldn't have made the WMC Lite holster-able in the first place smile its wtfhuge... (but running, laser sight, punch/kick is pretty necessary)

"The original Screaming Cell is homing, too, but the Screamer has a tunnel. Guess why? The homing projectile flies straight when there's no one to home in on."
The original Screaming Cell flew straight until it reached the end of the tunnel before homing. always. its just strange to fire the energy ball hand have it suddenly veer left or right since it detected an enemy and completely ignore the tunnel. tongue Plus, I almost missed that gun when I was browsing through them since the laser sight color was identical tongue

I'll check the glass again.

droid803sig.jpg

#32 12/26/07 13:12

EdT
Website

Iritascen: That's the fun of hacking Oni, if you want consistent damage from glass like in the YouTube videos, it can be done, just need to change the values here and there. smile

Here are the instructions:
http://wiki.oni2.net/ONK:Glass#Deadly_glass

#33 12/26/07 14:12

Your_Mom
Website

Ah...rechecked and glass does hurt...but not a lot...just very very very little, and very randomly.

I found another "EasterEgg":  There are AT LEAST two striker_easys in TCTF Regional HQ Redux with VMB, both cases where the character used to be "Karen":
- one in the "atrium" area, in the same room as the thug that goes "this is all I'm carrying I swear!", but drops a force field and a phasecloak
- one on floor three of the lower building, together with a TCTF SWAT with an MBO, and a BlackOps lite

I have screens to prove it if necessary.
Reason:
- the default body mesh in TCTF Regional HQ used to be CopfemA1
- there are some chars set to striker_easy_1
- in the original game, with the separate characters, a missing character class is replaced by the default
- in VMB (or VA0), the character striker_easy_1 is global and therefore exists, the game chooses that one...hence strikers in TCTF HQ Redux.

droid803sig.jpg

#34 12/26/07 14:12

Gumby

ok...I'll test it as soon as I backup my script repository...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#35 12/27/07 06:12

geyser
Website

"there are some chars set to striker_easy_1" sad
Those can only be fixed by fixing the local CHAR.

"the default body mesh in TCTF Regional HQ used to be CopfemA1"
Character class, not body mesh. Also, default = first alphabetically.

"Ah...rechecked and glass does hurt...but not a lot...just very very very little, and very randomly."
Well, it's exactly the same glass as in Demoni, and since no one complained about that one...
I can make it 4 times as deadly. As for the "randomness", I think it's just collision detection.

"(but running, laser sight, punch/kick is pretty necessary)"
Not for the gun you can steal from Barabas, it isn't...
Anyway, what's your problem with having two guns?

"I wouldn't have made the WMC Lite holster-able in the first place"
If it wasn't holsterable, you'd have to drop it before using a console.
Plus, it's funny. Then again, I'd try and make all weapons unholsterable.
That'll affect gameplay a lot, but in a realistic (and AI-fair) sort of way.

"its just strange to fire the energy ball and have it suddenly veer left or right"
Well, the screamer is still available as 2nd firing mode, so the tunnel is OK.
Would you prefer if Mukade's ball had a warhead similar to a Screamer's?

"Plus, I almost missed that gun when I was browsing through them since the laser sight color was identical"
I might change those colors and maybe even meshes eventually. Meanwhile, just pay more attention wink

@ Gumby: Backing up your scripts is safer, but the edition is not supposed to delete them.
Although looking at whatever's happening to Iritscen, you never know...

@Iritscen: Your stuff looks as if every level's textures were moved away from the levels but not to level0.
When repacking, you'd get the same effect as if almost all environment had been removed (blackness).
I'm not sure why that would happen, especially since EdT has not reported it. Maybe you messed up.
And if you did mess up, I sure hope my stuff is foolproof enough, i.e., your original content is intact.

Last edited by geyser (12/27/07 08:12)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#36 12/27/07 09:12

Iritscen

"Ah...rechecked and glass does hurt...but not a lot...just very very very little, and very randomly."
Well, it's exactly the same glass as in Demoni, and since no one complained about that one...
I can make it 4 times as deadly. As for the "randomness", I think it's just collision detection.

Haven't gotten to try out the damaging glass yet, but I think randomness is nothing to worry about.  That's how it works in real life.  If a person runs through a glass door, it might kill them, or they might be knocked out but barely cut at all.  The question is, how much damage should the glass be able to do, maximum?  Of course, it's hard to determine the maximum damage the glass will do, except by lots of experimentation.  I think it's safe to say that, seeing as you can get shot repeatedly and survive, we shouldn't go strictly for realism, i.e., glass shouldn't take off massive health.  Maybe 50 HP in a worst-case scenario.  I don't know how that correlates to what it's set to now.

By the way, can you implement breaking glass with physical attacks, geyser?  I always desperately wanted that to work in Oni.  It made no sense that you could shoot out a window but couldn't kick it out or even hit it with a gun and break it.  I was thrilled to see that behavior get modded into Oni and it would actually make the game more realistic as well.

Then again, I'd try and make all weapons unholsterable.
That'll affect gameplay a lot, but in a realistic (and AI-fair) sort of way.

Meh.  I think having only one weapon and being able to holster it is realistic enough.  Oni is one of a small number of games to actually be so realistic as to not allow you to carry a massive number of armaments at once.

"its just strange to fire the energy ball and have it suddenly veer left or right"
Well, the screamer is still available as 2nd firing mode, so the tunnel is OK.

I haven't gotten to see this behavior either, but I think the Screamer was set to go straight like that for a few feet for an important reason, which is that it needs to move away from you, or else, if it curves right away towards an enemy who is next to you, it starts doing damage to you, too.

@ Gumby: Backing up your scripts is safer, but the edition is not supposed to delete them.
Although looking at whatever's happening to Iritscen, you never know...

@Iritscen: Your stuff looks as if every level's textures were moved away from the levels but not to level0.
When repacking, you'd get the same effect as if almost all environment had been removed (blackness).
I'm not sure why that would happen, especially since EdT has not reported it. Maybe you messed up.
And if you did mess up, I sure hope my stuff is foolproof enough, i.e., your original content is intact.

Don't worry, I already backed up my original Oni installation before I applied any mods at all.  I have to say, though, that I am quite puzzled, as I am pretty certain that I did not do anything wrong.

Here's what it looks like:

Darkness%20Bug%202.png

He won because I couldn't see the beam he was shooting and I was standing there taking screenshots.  This is actually pretty cool looking, isn't it?  I think we have the makings of an iPod ad with this bug.

Darkness%20Bug%203.png

Creepy, huh?

Darkness%20Bug%201.png

At least I can guide myself using the consoles that glow in the dark!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/ … Folder.png

And I wish you could explain this ^

I am e-mailing you my logs so you can check it out.

Last edited by Iritscen (07/19/17 22:07)

#37 12/27/07 11:12

geyser
Website

Feature requests are suspended, iritscen, at least coming from you tongue
Request nothing until you and I have figured out those missing TXMP.
I note that the logs you mailed me are not from the most recent ver.
I also note that Ed has not reported on the latest version, either... sad
That said, the TXMP should be handled the same as before, i.e., fine.
So since Ed's textures were fine with the previous ver, I don't know.
It's way too fishy. I'd rather you redownloaded the edition, Iritscen.

Last edited by geyser (12/27/07 11:12)

#38 12/27/07 13:12

Iritscen

Ah, you're killing me.  OK, I'll try it again tonight with the version that I just downloaded right now.  1:43 PM EST.

Edit: We're still d/ling from the links in your first post, right?

Last edited by Iritscen (12/27/07 13:12)

#39 12/27/07 15:12

Your_Mom
Website

"Well, the screamer is still available as 2nd firing mode, so the tunnel is OK.
Would you prefer if Mukade's ball had a warhead similar to a Screamer's?"

Yea a warhead would make it a lot easier to aim and actually hit the target you want (it has a tendancy of going after a char to the side rather than up front)

droid803sig.jpg

#40 12/28/07 10:12

Iritscen

OK, geyser, I still have the darkness bug.  I've sent the logs your way.  Perhaps this is something I need to fix once manually, and the xedition script will not cause it again.  But how would I go about fixing it?

#41 12/28/07 11:12

EdT
Website

Ititscen: Are you using the same GameDataFolder that was created by Edition the first time?  If so, that's probably why you still have the same problem.  There should be another folder called GameDataFolderZero.  This is the backup of the original Oni files.  You will need to delete the GameDataFolder (Or rename it, just in case) then rename GameDataFolderZero back to GameDataFolder.  Now run Edition.

#42 12/28/07 11:12

Iritscen

Okay, I'll try that tonight.  Thanks.

#43 12/28/07 14:12

geyser
Website

Ititscen: Are you using the same GameDataFolder that was created by Edition the first time?  If so, that's probably why you still have the same problem.  There should be another folder called GameDataFolderZero.  This is the backup of the original Oni files.  You will need to delete the GameDataFolder (Or rename it, just in case) then rename GameDataFolderZero back to GameDataFolder.  Now run Edition.

Actually, Ed, I obviously don't expect people to delete stuff manually when reinstalling: that's ugly.
If the .sh scripts do not clean up GameDataFolder, then it's a bug and you should have reported it.
I'll have a look at them again, since there's obviously a problem there. I'll fix the %%2F thing too.

#44 12/28/07 14:12

Iritscen

What about having the script clean out the temp folder too?  Is that content supposed to stay there after the installation has finished?  It's quite large.

#45 12/28/07 15:12

geyser
Website

I told you before, but maybe you didn't notice. The temp folder can be deleted at any time. It's just there for debugging purposes. If I detect an unusual conflict in your logs (typically not fatal or even noticeable ingame), I may ask you to provide .oni files from the temp folder.
I'm looking at the script right now. I sorta thought it cleaned everything up automatically, but apparently it doesn't. Editing this post to tell you how it goes, and notifying you as soon as a fixed version is uploaded.

#46 12/28/07 16:12

geyser
Website

I reuploaded xedition.zip, fixing all bugs known to Mankind (ho ho ho)...
However, there are still 2 Strikers in Chapter 13. Please cope with them.
As for the temp folder, you are free to delete it (manually) at any time.

#47 12/29/07 12:12

EdT
Website

geyser: Tested Edition with previous GameDataFolder installed (not manually deleted).  Installation went well no problem.  Hopefully, this will fix Iritscen's problem.  Thanks

#48 12/30/07 13:12

EdT
Website

However, there are still 2 Strikers in Chapter 13. Please cope with them.

Here is the fixed Level 18 BINACJBOCharacter.oni file (No more strikers)
http://edt.oni2.net/OniSplit/Level18CHAR.zip

Please let me know if it works on the PC version.

#49 12/31/07 10:12

Iritscen

Actually, while geyser was fixing the xedition (and I was off the Net), I deleted the GDF, and it was reinstalled properly, so I'm good to go now!  Thanks.

I have been testing it out and have a few comments:
1. Please turn the knockback damage off, or set it to how it worked before.  Nothing's more annoying than getting in close and knocking someone down only to have their body barely touch you but knock you down too.  It makes a cool takedown look really clumsy.

2. I still think that it would be a better use of time to be enabling that "punches-break-glass" mod.  Isn't it already worked out and just has to be "plugged into" the Edition scripts?  In fact, if we're on the subject of bodies doing damage as they fall, what about having the flying bodies break glass?  I always wanted to throw someone out a window in Oni.  Combined with the damaging-glass mod, this could be seriously awesome.  For some reason, you told me before I can't request features.  Have I wronged you in some way, geyser? smile

3. I always get confused about where what files are coming from in the installation, and when the GDF folder was re-created, I had accidentally left the OneMistake mod on for Chapter 2 (is that the chapter?).  I have to say, it got my heart rate up to 120 at least when a massive brawl broke out unexpectedly, but when I was done and the lobby was strewn with the bodies of my enemies, and then the Chapter promptly ended, I was left wishing the mod actually did this.  Now, I know you probably have no intention of actually changing the overall structure of any levels/missions, but I just wanted to express my opinion on how much better this level works with the mod in place than without.  I always hated that level.  Instead, you're in and out in minutes, which is more realistic.  And the trap that is sprung as a diversion is actually a serious diversion, not a couple of dudes that run out, and then a whole level that for some reason you have to finish before getting out of there to help the TCTF.  Just throwing that out there.  Even if you wanted to implement that awesome mod, you would definitely have to dial back the difficulty so it didn't kill novice players mercilessly.

4. Okay, this was weird, but maybe I just didn't know this could happen.  I don't know if it's a bug or it was always a part of Oni.  I was going up to the second floor in Chapter 3 (?... where you fight Barabas... I'm bad at remembering chapter numbers).  There are those three levels where you can unlock the side doors to go into the labs and protect the scientists, right?  On the stairs to the second level, spying on the enemy, I see the black Striker go into the room with the lock console and unlock the doors, then come out:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/ … dDoors.png

Is that supposed to happen???  Edit: Oh.  Apparently it is.  <nvrmnd>

5. At the very beginning of the game, I waited for the worker to walk upstairs to where I was hiding, and then dropped down off the ledge so I could sneak around him, to test my stealth skills.  It turns out he heard me and tried to turn around and exit the stairwell, but got caught on the doorway.  I doubt this has anything to do with the Edition, but it was rare to see a pathfinding goof like this:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/ … Worker.png

6. Finally... was this always here?:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/ … eCloak.png

Last edited by Iritscen (12/31/07 11:12)

#50 12/31/07 11:12

Ultimatum479

In regard to number 4...Err...yeah, he always does that.

Work in progress...

Board footer