Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/05/12 02:01

Lukas Kreator

Edictum Team System - Released

I don't know if this has been made already, or if I'm just making my personal version of it.
So, this enables you to control a team of 3 ninjas/strikers/etc. You can issue them basic orders and they will follow you and stuff.
It is intended that you control them from afar. Hand-to-hand combat is discouraged (you even start the level with low health).
Well, for now, some stuff don't work properly and I'm still working on it, so I'm just posting a rather crappy video.
Please, feel free to request features and make suggestions.

Current features:
  - 3 modes: Default, Stationary and Engagement;
  - They will crouch when you crouch and stand when you stand;
  - They will not random-attack enemies while you are crouched;
  - Shortcut to activate Engagement mode;
  - Full customization;
  - You can play as another character (like Muro) and it will still work. You just have to change the animation names.

Problems:
  - I still have to find a better way to get input. Currently, the script checks for a certain animation. Would be cool if you could change modes through a simple key press.
  - Sometimes people don't actually "stay" when you switch to stationary mode.

Videos:
  - Video 1
  - Video 2

Download:
- Release 1 (.zip)
- Release 1 (.tar.gz)

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/06/12 02:01)

#2 01/05/12 02:01

TheCreature

Re: Edictum Team System - Released

YES!!!  Finally the mod I've been waiting for!  I was starting to wonder if this place had gone completely dead or not, and the day I come back to see, this gets posted!

It looks awesome, despite our limitations as to input.  Can't wait to play around with it!

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 01/05/12 06:01

Windy

neutral

Last edited by Windy (01/17/12 11:01)

#4 01/05/12 08:01

Iritscen

Is that video supposed to be 5 seconds long?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/05/12 10:01

Delano762
Website

FREEDOM FIGHTERS x ONI, YEAH!

Iritscen wrote:

Is that video supposed to be 5 seconds long?

Nope

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#6 01/05/12 10:01

Striker

I think the way it should work is not commands, but a rather static system: Make the characters follow what Konoko is doing, basically if she's crouching, the characters would too.
And instead of making Konoko's health low at the start, give her crappier helpers, such as 2 TCTF officers and 1 TCTF SWAT (the black armoured ones).

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#7 01/05/12 11:01

Lukas Kreator

Striker wrote:

I think the way it should work is not commands, but a rather static system: Make the characters follow what Konoko is doing, basically if she's crouching, the characters would too.
And instead of making Konoko's health low at the start, give her crappier helpers, such as 2 TCTF officers and 1 TCTF SWAT (the black armoured ones).

I like that idea, but that would only work for Default and Cautious mode, I think. I'll try it.
Also, the idea was to not have to fight much, and in the case of TCTF you would probably want to shapeshift to Griffin anyway (for realism) and he's crappy tongue
But well, it is fully customizable, and you can easily change your allies (or yourself). You can even add new allies to the level through this.
I think my next video will feature TCTF...

Windy wrote:

This sounds interesting. It reminds me of the game "Freedom Fighters" that I played long ago.
But what are we going to use this mod for? Multiplayer or singleplayer?
And what will the player do if the characters he/she conrols get killed?

Hmm, single-player, for now, I think. And I'm still thinking on what to do if they are killed.
Maybe they will regenerate every once in awhile, or something like that.
BTW, what is Freedom Fighters? tongue

TheCreature wrote:

It looks awesome, despite our limitations as to input.  Can't wait to play around with it!

Thanks wink

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 11:01)

#8 01/05/12 12:01

Yoriko

It would be nice to order around the tctf allies you help in the tctf headquarters. Sometimes they just run of for no reason.

-I noticed that the hackers of oni community made a lot of modifications before they locked me up, do you have any idea what they want with an old game? -Modifications? What kind of modifications?
-Hard to tell, without getting a look at things but it looks like they're repurposing it. -Why?
-Beats me, all the game has is brutal melee combat and furious gunplay. -I dont like the sound of that.....

#9 01/05/12 12:01

Lukas Kreator

lol Good idea!

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 12:01)

#10 01/05/12 13:01

Lukas Kreator

UPDATE

Warning: This video contains amateur music mixing hmm
Also, watching the fight at end is entirely optional.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 13:01)

#11 01/05/12 14:01

Striker

Lukas Kreator wrote:

UPDATE

Warning: This video contains amateur music mixing hmm
Also, watching the fight at end is entirely optional.

Any way I could see the code for this thing?

Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

#12 01/05/12 15:01

Lukas Kreator

Hmm, sure, but I am still optimizing things. I'll just comment the code and then send you an e-mail, as, for now, you seem to be the only one interested in the source-code. Just remember it is quite experimental and there will be heavy changes. For example, I plan to put the important variable declarations in a separate file.
Also, do you plan to make any cool additions to it? Just tell me and I'll make your changes official, if that is the case.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 15:01)

#13 01/05/12 15:01

Striker

Lukas Kreator wrote:

Also, do you plan to make any cool additions to it? Just tell me and I'll make your changes official, if that is the case.

Depends whether I will have time to actually make any additions and/or whether I will be able to even make them. I am still unsure what language and files you are using to make it (I am still a little unfamiliar with Oni's structure). I have messed around in BSL previously and could take a few hours trying out different things but I am still unsure. It would be great if you told me how you made it work (through BSL or something else) so I could at least either get familiar with it in the meantime or simply stare at the code in confusion.

#14 01/05/12 16:01

Lukas Kreator

Oh, it is pure BSL.

Quick guide: you have 3 variables which hold the names of three people. The script then spawns them (ai2_spawn) and does a series of modifications on them (like changing team). Then, there are a lot of "forks" (like events) checking if you have done a specific move (like a back punch). When that happens, an action triggers (changing mode, for example). Also, it issues the allies an order to follow you (ai2_followme) every 1 second.

I hope some of your questions will be answered when you take a look at the code. If not, I can gladly guide you through a chat, or here, if you prefer.
Also, sorry for my C-ish syntax preference in BSL tongue

If you want a list of characters you can spawn in the Compound, take a look here.
And yes, you CAN spawn Mutant Muro to help you smile

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 16:01)

#15 01/05/12 16:01

Delano762
Website

Well, can I look at the code too? :3

Lukas Kreator wrote:

BTW, what is Freedom Fighters? tongue

Definitely the best TPS I've ever seen. Play it.
It has a simple, but very fun squad system.

Last edited by Delano762 (01/05/12 16:01)

#16 01/05/12 16:01

Lukas Kreator

I'll soon release the scripts.

As for Freedom Fighters, I'll be sure to take a look, Delano.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 17:01)

#17 01/05/12 16:01

Dirk Gently
Website

y u no youtube?

#18 01/05/12 16:01

Lukas Kreator

Dirk Gently wrote:

y u no youtube?

Last time I tried, it would repeteadly stop the upload at 30% and tell me an error occured. Maybe I try again, later.

#19 01/05/12 17:01

Delano762
Website

While we're at Freedom Fighters, I suggest stea I mean BORROWING some of it's gameplay ideas, for example recruiting thingy. For example, TCTF level, we have a random officer standing and doing nothing, so you walk up to him and "follow me" or something and then you fight together.

#20 01/05/12 17:01

Lukas Kreator

Hmm, seems easy, as long as I can edit the "BINACJBOCharacter"... well, that file with a weird name hmm

#21 01/05/12 17:01

Striker

Lukas Kreator wrote:

Oh, it is pure BSL.

Quick guide: you have 3 variables which hold the names of three people. The script then spawns them (ai2_spawn) and does a series of modifications on them (like changing team). Then, there are a lot of "forks" (like events) checking if you have done a specific move (like a back punch). When that happens, an action triggers (changing mode, for example). Also, it issues the allies an order to follow you (ai2_followme) every 1 second.

I hope some of your questions will be answered when you take a look at the code. If not, I can gladly guide you through a chat, or here, if you prefer.
Also, sorry for my C-ish syntax preference in BSL tongue

If you want a list of characters you can spawn in the Compound, take a look here.
And yes, you CAN spawn Mutant Muro to help you smile

Great! I'm already somewhat familiar with BSL, and in addition to that, BSL is one of the easiest programming languages I've seen yet. Can't wait for the source code.

#22 01/05/12 17:01

Windy

neutral

Last edited by Windy (01/17/12 11:01)

#23 01/05/12 17:01

Lukas Kreator

Ok, so I updated the first post with the first public download.

Thanks for the suggestions, and don't forget to change the settings in the edictum_config.bsl file, unless you want to play as Griffin and have 3 TCTF allies, because that is the default. Also, it will take some time to learn wich animations belong to wich characters, but I hope you'll get used to it.

@Delano: I'll try your suggestion, but for a future version.
BTW, I just saw some videos and Freedom Fighters seems truly amazing!

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (01/05/12 19:01)

#24 01/05/12 19:01

Striker

I have quite a lot of ideas, but BSL is definitely very limited. I have tried to make a more comprehensive regeneration system, but I can't find a way to use regular vars to make it work...
For example, I would write:

func void derp (void) {
chr_wait_health ally1 100;
chr_animate ally1 powerup_start 180;
chr_health ally1 = chr_health ally1 + 50;
sleep (60);
sleep (60);
sleep (60)

fork derp();
}

chr_wait_health ally1 200;
chr_health ally1 200;

and it probably won't work, because BSL doesn't allow me to add values to the var chr_health... or does it? I'm not too familiar with it, and I can't test it at the moment.
At least you get the idea, and since you know more BSL than I do, you could probably make it more elaborate (don't forget to add the other allies).
Please tell me what I did wrong so I can at least learn how to use BSL better next time, if you can. Thanks.

#25 01/05/12 19:01

Gumby

You should use the Daodan 2.0 (Flatline DLL). It allows you to activate regeneration and get the bind inputs directly. smile

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer